2016-01-08 22:37:58

Hello all,
I've recently discovered this neet little gem that has so much potential to being fully accessible, as it's open source and on github, it has an iOS app that has the fundimentals of an accessible app ready to go, and is potentially very unique.
So, you know some sighted folks and even some of us in the blind community keep a sort of reminder/to do list of what to do next?
This is a bit like one of those, where you can set positive or negative habits, an actual to do list, and daily tasks, used to help you be more productive in your life or even just set a challenge for yourself. But there's a bit of a difference.
It's done in the form of an rpg. Each time you do something positive, you can gain experience and gold, but if you do something negative or miss one of your daily tasks, you lose character health.
However, right now there are a few issues, and the trouble is the devs use GitHub rather than email, and GitHub confuses me.
First off, the website is a little more productive than the iOS app currently, but some of the links are emojis rather than labeled. For instance, the edit icon says Pencil with my current NVDA dictionary, but I think if there wasn't emoji support at all, nothing in that section would read.
However, the iOS app could really be where it's at, and it just needs a few changes to get working. First off, when double tapping a task, instead of letting you check it off, it goes straight to edit mode. However, in edit mode the only thing you can chagne, using VoiceOver, is the title. None of the options, like the habit's type such as positive or negative, or setting due dates, or even just the difficulty of a task, are appearing, and it shows a very random empty list instead. On the website, if you can get into the edit mode you can actually edit these options, and each task has a checkbox that you can activate to actually check it off and activate the rewards or damage.
The thing is, everything in the iOS app is labeled, it just needs more of a design for some of these editing bits, and of course the ability to activate one of the habits. The website could be a bit more tricky to fix.
I really like this idea but don't really know the best way to approach the developers.
The main website can be found at:
http://www.habitica.com
The app is called Habitica, and can be found on iOS and android too. I don't knoww hat the android app is like.
The GitHub is actually called habitRPG rather than Habitica, as this was it's original name. It's been around since 2013 apparently but I only just found it, and I believe it's got so much potential.

2016-01-08 23:21:49

wow that sounds cool. What benefit do levels and gold give in this thing?

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2016-01-09 01:29:00

I think as you level up you can unlock new features like questing, and gold lets you buy items that increase the stats. I don't really know if stats ahve any real benefit though. I wouldn't call it a full blown game but it does ahve gaming elements. I just hope we might be able to find a way to contact the devs as it could help with new year resolutions and real life goals.

2016-01-12 09:54:54

I haven't taken a look at it yet, but by the nature of github i'm not sure if there is one centralized "developer". Quite a large portion of github projects are open-source, community driven things. So if we could get a person in there that knows coding to fix it up it might be implemented, if it's like that.

skype name: techluver
Feel free to add me.

2016-01-12 19:29:04

Hello,
I have an update. The android version is pretty much fully accessible with talkback, the only button that's unlabeled is one that opens a menu that lets you add new tasks, and right now there seems to be no way to delete a task, but that's it. I hope the iOS version will get full accessibility soon.
This is a very interesting way to manage your every day tasks, and you gain a bit of experience for your character. Of course, you have to click whether you are positive or negative, but what's the point in just randomly clicking positive whenver you want? THere isn't any, that means you are just doing yourself a bad favour. This is to actually go along with you like a companion, and as a result, I only click things once I've done them. It's fully customizable as well, I've got a couple of martial art related tasks in there, for example. There are also apparently streek bonuses and stuff like that so when the tasks start to not give you as much exp and gold, you aren't doing anything wrong, you just have to keep at it. This is kind of hard to explain what this actually is. It only really works when you start to do things properly, it all clicks into place.

2016-01-17 11:10:49

Hi arron and others.
I will share it in my Whats app group surely people will play it.
Is this for PC?

life's battle do not always go to the stronger and faster man,
But sooner or later who win the one who thinks he can!

2016-01-18 01:08:11

Hello,
Yes, it can be used through a web browser but it's not the most accessible. The most accessible, right now, seems to be the android version.

2016-10-10 16:08:50

It'll be good to inform about It, authors or developers of this site. Not everybody have an Android.

Ja volim samo kafu sa Rakijom.