2015-03-28 01:13:07

I agree with you. I don't think Steve Jobs is the problem; he actually was a good manager of Apple who knew what he was doing, but he died in 2011, so he couldn't change the direction Apple's heading towards. In other words, Apple is screwed.
I like their devices. I certainly do. But when you've got Apple asking you for over 100 bucks just to put an app on the store? That sounds  a little overkill and completely stupid. Moreover, it sounds like a scam to me. Their like, "Hey! Apple Here! We want your apps! Just create them and pay <enter price here> and we'll put them on the app store!" (No, you won't, will you? Instead, you'll just ask for more and more money until we're broke, then put our app on the app store.) Yeah. I'm not falling for that, Apple! I'm not that stupid.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2015-03-28 02:46:58

Yes. and here I used to be peeved about knfb reader and other such apps costing so much. Not anymore! The folks over at KNFB did all that work and have to still pay for posting their app? Wow. Anyway, I was never planning on learning Objective C, lest I got hiered by Apple. But in that case, I'd expect an hourly wage of at least $50.00. Clearly, they have enough money; If you're putting your app on, their, store, I'm about 102.8% sure that they are receiving a percentage of the profit. So we can complain about freedom scientiffic (freedom science fiction, greedom science fiction whatever you call it), but they aren't so money thursty as apple.
  Nonetheless, as you said, I like their devices, though voiceover tends to get under my skin sometimes. Also, I will continue to buy apps, despite the fact that some of my money is going to the already thoroughly money-saturated, rich, Apple.

With a bit more research, I could easily compose a blog post on this matter, and would likely do so provided the proper circumstances arose.

But then again, this brings a question to mind. Provided the less than tolerable treatment Apple gives to its developers, why are their so many apps on the store, and a lot of free ones at that?

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2015-03-28 04:08:55 (edited by Ethin 2015-03-28 04:11:37)

Who knows. Perhaps those people got a waver? I highly doubt it, though.
The thing I don't like about Apple is the way they've structured Objective-C. Yes, Swift, Apples new programming language (which interlinks with Objective-C) is quite nice, you still need obj-c for most of it. I like android and its use of Java because Java is easy to use, is slick, slim, and fun; and has excellent documentation and reference manuals. It also has one of the best methods of importing packages and general syntax (it tops on my list of best programming languages right above D, which is #3 on my list)! If I had to rate the top 10 best programming languages out there, I'd probably go with the following:

1. Python: Extremely nice syntax and syntactic analyzer; easy-to-understand error messages; easy definitions of functions, variables, and types; and much more.

2. Java: Understandable language; easy to use compiler; Android uses it.

3. D: Advanced syntax like C/C++/Java: aliasing, importing of modules, module support, ability and availability of detection of the systems CPU information from 1 core module, File IO, SYNC support, configurable garbage collector (experimental, as of version 2.067.0), GNU D compiler and LLVM D Compiler, etc.

4. PureBASIC: Easy programming language; useful for writing games and other 3D content; supports builtin ASM support (EnableASM and DisableASM).

5. C/C++: One of the oldest programming languages available, but still useful; most OS Kernels are usually written in these languages.

6. PHP: Web programming language: CGI, FASTCGI, credit card validation, etc.

7. VBScript: Builtin scripting engine in Microsoft Windows, was before VB6.

8. VB.NET: .NET programming language; supports all .NET frameworks and libraries; easy-to-use forms editor.

9. C#.NET: Java-like programming language; C/C++/Java Hybrid; has syntax resembling C, C++, and Java combined. Does not have the :: operator in C++.

10. Flat Assembly: One of the most difficult programming languages available: Pure Assembly, with no #includes, using statements, namespaces, etc.

Well, there you go.
And, FYI to those who think I'm stupid or am just making tis info up: I have used every single programming language listed in that top 10 list of programming languages. I know many more, but most of them are not on that list.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2015-06-02 10:56:11

It is very possible. I have learned three so far: C#, Java, and Python. I am now working on C++.

2015-06-02 18:24:06

Hello.
What do you think about Pascal?
You can find the compiller at http://freepascal.org/
They have a IDE too, that can do graphic applications at http://lazarus.sourceforge.net/
I don't have a top 10 list, because I've only tried a few of them.
but my favourite ones are Python, Pascal and pure C.
I don't know about Java because I don't know how to get started.
What tutorials for getting started with Java and the development tools
do you recommend?

2015-06-02 18:44:46

Hi,
Pascal is not meant for the serious programmer; it is meant for teaching and education. However, you are right: it is useful indeed. I still find Ruby and Perl better than Pascal.

My Github

2015-06-02 19:22:02 (edited by Genroa 2015-06-02 19:22:44)

Anyone, what's your mother tongue? I'm french so I learned with french tutorials smile

I don't like Perl, but I can't really find arguments which go in that way (Perl seems to have evolved a lot)

2015-06-02 21:25:48

I think that C, C++, and other OOP languages are nice, and I also like other languages too, like Ada and other langugaes like that.

My Github

2015-06-03 03:00:46

A quick comment here about Java. If one really wants to learn how to program in Java there are a few books which I believe are available on the Bookshare site which are very good. Off the top of my head there is Learning Java 3rd Edition, Java in a Nutshell, and Killer Game Programming in Java. All are a good introduction to Java and if one is interested in games those would be my recommendations to start.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2015-06-14 08:53:32

I was trying to learn three at once and still kind of doing it.
1. BGT. That is my comfort zone.
2. Python. Because of NVDA.
3. Apple Scripting. Because of Voice Over on the Mac as well as Keyboard Maestro.

Sincerely:
John Follis
Check out my YouTube Channel.