2015-03-23 05:26:57

Hi.
Well I can see this war will never end. Defender, this is your fault this topic was quiet for a while until you started it up again stop stirring things up there is no reason for it. Let me ask you have you ever written any code? From what I've read it sounds like you haven't. If you can code at all you know how challenging it really is it's not a walk in the park. I use both pb and python and there not easy but practicing concepts makes them easier to understand. I dare you to explain a few programming concepts that you've learned. And I find the fact you called danny an unsuccessful programmer extremely offensive. He's my friend so I wouldn't go there. He built death match up from nothing into a side-scroller and then into a 2d game all in bgt before switching to pb. Now tell me what have you done? Can you even write a hello world program? You know one of the reasons I'm enjoying pb so much is because when I need it the language reference is right there. If I need to look up a piece of code the syntax and the explanation of how to use it is right there. Guess what? The Python reference isn't that simple to go through. Also I started looking into c# and I had to look up how to play a sound on StackOverflow because unless I missed it playing a sound isn't in c#'s  reference.
So yeah this is the only time I will be replying to you.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2015-03-23 08:49:23

@defender funny that, you used to always be the one who told me I was the successful programmer, now you turn against me? For something stupid not even related to programming? Wow. This community's maturity level sometimes amazes me. Go ahead, throw your worst flames at me, they'll all be deflected because its only your opinion, and I do not take unsuccessful as an insult, considering I actually turned my life around and made something of myself, and actually put forth the effert to keep my own stuff going, and i'm sure that everyone else who's responded on this topic will completely agree with me. Once again, I do not cair if you use pure basic, I do not cair if you even use auto it, as tward said, why should it be my place to judge  your success baste on a programming language?

Check out the new reality software site. http://realitysoftware.noip.us

2015-03-23 15:56:32

I completely agree with you guitarman. It's probably best to delete this topic before the defender offends again. Just keep up with the programming languages of your choice, they are good purposes for you, because as twoard said, unlike camlorn, it is not in his place to judge what language you use.

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2015-03-23 16:22:55 (edited by defender 2015-03-23 16:28:25)

I see your point, I guess that in the process of trying to call out people who are being assholes, I've started to be just as much of an asshole, I still stand by the points I've made, but I'll have to work on being more constructive about how I say it, and, using less swear words to get my point across, and probably just generally not commenting as much about these kinds of things, though I likely wouldn't do it at all if the mods were more active and noticed these problems more.

I figure I have a better chance of making my point understandable this way anyway, and I certainly don't want to become exactly what I have an issue with.

I guess that this hole thing has gone on for a long time, but it's winding down and I'm not following suit, because it's the only thing that's been happening for quite a long time, and unfortunately, I'm used to it.  I've been commenting on things like this, partly because no one is really asking for help with things on the off topic room, or with sound design, or putting out fully formed new games to play and talk about, aside from Beatstar of course, but your write, I don't code, I just know a few coders and talk to them, so this isn't really my area of study, even if I still agree with what those coders are saying and did some research to back it up, but that's not as good as first hand experience.

I apologize for rekindling the flames, and showing such an extreme opinion about something I don't have first hand experience with.

2015-03-23 16:35:36

@defender your appology is excepted. I appologise for my replies regarding it.
as for games I will in fact need sounds for my racing game. I would like menu bleeps, menu music, croud sounds, sound of rain falling on a car, that's about it for now.

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.

2015-03-23 17:37:40

Hi all,
Can you all please stop shoving it down each other's throats that this language is bad and this language is the worst thing ever created in the history of languages and this one is the best? I am not giving my opinions about the flame war because I'd probably start it up again and that's not what I want. All I'm saying is just let people use whatever they want. I mean, people bash JFW all the time but the thing is, it works for me, it works for people who use it. Same thing goes for internet explorer, and bgt which is what I program in right now and pb which danny and a few others program in.

2015-03-23 21:22:59

Hi Defender.
I forgive you no hard feelings. And I appoligize for my earlier post. I probably wouldn't have replied I just got mad when you started bashing danny for no good reason.
Btw, do you still talk to camlorn? If you do tell him I said hi. I know one thing the developers room sure is different without him on here.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.

2015-03-24 00:36:32

Guitarman, a note about C# and other .Net languages. As you surmised playing sounds is not in the core .NET framework so when you create a new C# project in Mono or with Microsoft's .NET Framework there are no references to a good audio API. Usually you need to download and install a third-party API such as FMOD Ex, SDL, or SlimDX in order to play sounds and other things you will need to create games. You won't find all that in the core .NET Framework.

I think this is one reason why people like Purebasic. Its built upon a framework that has a bit of everything thrown in for easy access meaning you, the developer, don't have to go out and hunt for separate APIs and frameworks to do what you want. Purebasic offers libraries and tools for most basic things in the core download and install where as if someone were to choose something like Python they may still have to grab and install add-ons and extra modules to write a game since not everything is included in the default runtime environment. Most programming languages are highly modularized in such a way that if one wants to create a program they only need to install the APIs or modules they need for a given project rather than getting it all in one big bundle. So it makes it harder to just jump in and write something as many people can do with Purebasic because Purebasic gives a new developer everything they need in one big bundle rather than split up into modules.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2015-03-24 02:06:53

Hello Tward.
I see your point I think one of the major reasons I have been drawn to purebasic is that everything is right there. As much as I like it I don't think it will work for me forever. I'm starting to notice pythnn's syntax is as simplistic as purebasic's but I'm realizing python has more to offer. Eventually I'll probably have to move to c++ or another hard language which I'm dreading but I think I should learn it because I want to get a steady job as a software or hardware developer.
I've been researching basic languages and have realized that no matter what it's called all basic languages are offshoots of dartmouth basic which I found out is almost 50 years old. Which now I'm starting to understand what camlorn meant when he said these languages are dated. I'll continue to learn purebasic to learn programming concepts then I will probably move on to something else.
Btw, have you ever thought about porting your games to android or iPhone? I don't think final conflict would be too much of a hardship but for mota or raceway it might get a little more complicated. As I mentioned before I'm still a newbie but if you ever decide to make mobile games I have a iPhone and an android tablet and eventually I could help programming apps.
Woo this post got way longer than I thought it would.

Guitarman.

2015-03-24 03:22:15

I'm not sure whether or not I'll move from purebasic in the too near future. I might but who actually knows. 50 years old? lols that's old. But yeah. pb is good for what it's good for but there are better alternatives. Good luck on your career, by the way. I was hoping to enter into the same job field

2015-03-24 04:15:55

Thank you severestormsteve. Eventually I hope to get a job at apple, sony, google whereever I can get in. If I do manage to get a job developing let me know when your looking for a job I could recommend you.

Guitarman.

2015-03-24 07:08:40

Guitarman, yes, if you are considering becoming employed as a professional programmer you'll most definitely have to learn C++ eventually. You might also want to learn Java, SQL, and the Microsoft .NET languages to become employable. Those languages are often in demand where something like Purebasic isn't. That is one reason I feel sure Camlorn was so negative towards the language, because professionals tend to stay clear of languages and tools that don't have a wide acceptance among other professionals. Especially, those not required for a job or in high demand.

As far as porting to Android and iOS I have considered it, but it is far more complicated and difficult than I'm willing to put into the effort. To port to iOS, for example, I'd have to buy a Mac, install Apple's APIs and tools on the system, and then convert my games from C++ to Objective-C in order to port them to iOS. That costs a lot of time and money I don't have to make it happen. To port to Android I'd likely have to rewrite the games in Java which isn't any easier or less time consuming than porting to iOS so it isn't worth it to me at this point to do the port to Android. So as you can see while a good idea in theory it is really too impractical to do either one at this time.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2015-03-24 16:23:51 (edited by The Dwarfer 2015-03-24 16:26:12)

@twoard yeah I'm sure that's why Camlorn was so negative as well. However, I think that he was neglogent to the fact that most of us are teenagers developing little games as a hobby, not professionals. From the start, I knew that pure basic would not! Be a language to use in the proffessional field. However, I've used it as a way to learn and practice programming concepts that should in theory make it easier to learn a more modernised language. I know mostly all of the programming terms and what they mean, so learning a more advanced language such as c++, python, or java would only be a matter of getting down the syntax. Things like PHP, javascript, CSS, are different stories though. I'm not in the least experienced with web design, though I expect I'll want to have that just in case it's a prefered trait among employers. But that is still quite far away, and I'm sure that I can learn most of that in college

2015-03-24 22:16:45

Hello Tward.
Yeah if I were you I wouldn't want to do a port for iOs or android either. It's probably a lot more practical to just write a game for android or iOs from scratch. I really don't like that there is no alternative to x-code for windows. But at least google gives you android sdk that I have on my windows machine in case I want to write android apps. And google play doesn't charge you to put up your apps like apple does. I don't think I would want to charge for games so I would be paying a couple hundred dollars to put a free app on the appstore.
I've looked at c++ and it's crazy c# and c++ syntax are very similar at least from what I've seen. So I'm hoping that if I learn c# it will make it easier for me to learn c++.
Right now I'm working to learn python because I've heard google frequently uses it so if I went into an interview I could tell them that I know a few different languages. I don't know anybody personally who is a professional software developer but it sure sounds like a fun job.

Guitarman.

2015-03-25 12:30:28

I've been considering going cross platform, hopefully at some point i'll be able to acquire an android device to begin development on. At some point, when I do go in to apply for a programming job, I do intend to learn another language, but I mainly do this as a hobby and I don't intend to rush into a job with computer development any time soon, though I have had a summer one last summer working with animals, specificly cats, so I am prepared once I do go out to look for a job.

Check out the new reality software site. http://realitysoftware.noip.us

2015-03-25 13:52:36

I think camlorn was that rude becasue he wanted to help us to acquire "professional skills", or at least not going in a dead end and say two years later "oh my god I want to create a bigger game, but without better skills and with my limited language i'm totally stuck!!!!!". This is a point of view anyone can understand smile

That's what audiogames are laking of : professional tools and skills. How much people here asked for what is a hashmap or the classic "I want to make a game with a player who shoot at ennemies and the ennemies can gain life and I want the player to level up when he kills ennemies" (cf jonikster tongue )

The problem behind theses questions is often a representation problem I think. Programmation is a way to represent complete scenes in videogames, in full text. If ou don't have it, you can't make the best game ever...
Knowing different languages to be able to work on different projects is not a real problem. When you study programmation, you have to learn a lot of languages at the same time smile

2015-03-25 20:28:19

Hi Danny.
Well if you manage to learn how to write scripts for an android you could send the scripts to me and I could compile and test them on my tablet. I've looked at scripts for android examples apparently there are a lot of them out there. The tricky part is writing for a touch screen which I don't quite understand but there are plenty examples on how to do it.

Guitarman.

2015-03-26 23:27:36 (edited by Ethin 2015-03-26 23:29:03)

Hi,
Actually, android is written in Java, so you'd have to use java to write android programs. Here is the base of my new program, Android Developer Studio (ADS), written for android.
package org.plt.ads;

import org.plt.ads.util.SystemUiHider;

import android.annotation.TargetApi;
import android.app.Activity;
import android.os.Build;
import android.os.Bundle;
import android.os.Handler;
import android.view.MotionEvent;
import android.view.View;

/**
* A full-screen activity that shows and hides the system UI (i.e.
* status bar and navigation/system bar) with user interaction.
* @see SystemUiHider
*/
public class ADSMain extends Activity
{
/**
* Whether or not the system UI should be auto-hidden after
* {@link #AUTO_HIDE_DELAY_MILLIS} milliseconds.
*/
private static final boolean AUTO_HIDE = true;

/**
* If {@link #AUTO_HIDE} is set, the number of milliseconds to wait after
* user interaction before hiding the system UI.
*/
private static final int AUTO_HIDE_DELAY_MILLIS = 3000;

/**
* If set, will toggle the system UI visibility upon interaction. Otherwise,
* will show the system UI visibility upon interaction.
*/
private static final boolean TOGGLE_ON_CLICK = true;

/**
* The flags to pass to {@link SystemUiHider#getInstance}.
*/
private static final int HIDER_FLAGS = SystemUiHider.FLAG_HIDE_NAVIGATION;

/**
* The instance of the {@link SystemUiHider} for this activity.
*/
private SystemUiHider mSystemUiHider;

@Override
protected void onCreate(Bundle savedInstanceState)
{
super.onCreate(savedInstanceState);

setContentView(R.layout.activity_adsmain);

final View controlsView = findViewById(R.id.fullscreen_content_controls);
final View contentView = findViewById(R.id.fullscreen_content);

// Set up an instance of SystemUiHider to control the system UI for
// this activity.
mSystemUiHider = SystemUiHider.getInstance(this, contentView, HIDER_FLAGS);
mSystemUiHider.setup();
mSystemUiHider.setOnVisibilityChangeListener(new SystemUiHider.OnVisibilityChangeListener()
{
// Cached values.
int mControlsHeight;
int mShortAnimTime;

@Override
@TargetApi(Build.VERSION_CODES.HONEYCOMB_MR2)
public void onVisibilityChange(boolean visible)
{
if (Build.VERSION.SDK_INT >= Build.VERSION_CODES.HONEYCOMB_MR2)
{
// If the ViewPropertyAnimator API is available
// (Honeycomb MR2 and later), use it to animate the
// in-layout UI controls at the bottom of the
// screen.
if (mControlsHeight == 0)
{
mControlsHeight = controlsView.getHeight();
}
if (mShortAnimTime == 0) {
mShortAnimTime = getResources().getInteger(android.R.integer.config_shortAnimTime);
}
controlsView.animate().translationY(visible ? 0 : mControlsHeight).setDuration(mShortAnimTime);
}
else
{
// If the ViewPropertyAnimator APIs aren't
// available, simply show or hide the in-layout UI
// controls.
controlsView.setVisibility(visible ? View.VISIBLE: View.GONE);
}

if (visible && AUTO_HIDE)
{
// Schedule a hide().
delayedHide(AUTO_HIDE_DELAY_MILLIS);
}
}
});

// Set up the user interaction to manually show or hide the system UI.
contentView.setOnClickListener(new View.OnClickListener()
{
@Override
public void onClick(View view)
{
if (TOGGLE_ON_CLICK)
{
mSystemUiHider.toggle();
}
else
{
mSystemUiHider.show();
}
}
});

// Upon interacting with UI controls, delay any scheduled hide()
// operations to prevent the jarring behavior of controls going away
// while interacting with the UI.
findViewById(R.id.dummy_button).setOnTouchListener(mDelayHideTouchListener);
}

@Override
protected void onPostCreate(Bundle savedInstanceState)
{
super.onPostCreate(savedInstanceState);

// Trigger the initial hide() shortly after the activity has been
// created, to briefly hint to the user that UI controls
// are available.
delayedHide(100);
}

/**
* Touch listener to use for in-layout UI controls to delay hiding the
* system UI. This is to prevent the jarring behavior of controls going away
* while interacting with activity UI.
*/
View.OnTouchListener mDelayHideTouchListener = new View.OnTouchListener()
{
@Override
public boolean onTouch(View view, MotionEvent motionEvent)
{
if (AUTO_HIDE) {
delayedHide(AUTO_HIDE_DELAY_MILLIS);
}
return false;
}
};

Handler mHideHandler = new Handler();
Runnable mHideRunnable = new Runnable()
{
@Override
public void run()
{
mSystemUiHider.hide();
}
};

/**
* Schedules a call to hide() in [delay] milliseconds, canceling any
* previously scheduled calls.
*/
private void delayedHide(int delayMillis)
{
mHideHandler.removeCallbacks(mHideRunnable);
mHideHandler.postDelayed(mHideRunnable, delayMillis);
}
}
Would you guys like it if I made this? A portable IDE on android?

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2015-03-27 02:57:12

I sure would! Android and apple are my 2 favorite systems. But what happens do you just test and compile like with eclipse?
Anyway, ethin you know I PMed you the other day so I just wanted to know are we still on or what?

Guitarman.

2015-03-27 04:20:45

Yes, we are. I should send you that.
As for the ADS, yes, I do. I emulate the device using Quick Emulator (QEMU), creating an android virtual device (AVD). If I get confirmation that it actually works, I then transfer it to a physical device and test it on that. If it works, then I sine it and publish it on the Android Google Play Store. If it fails to work on the physical device, then I go in and fix it up and try the process all over again.
As most of you know, the android SDK is a very complicated set of libraries, code, and JARs. Thankfully, though, the documentation is always at http://developer.android.com or https://developer.android.com/guide/index.html. That second link will get you up and running with the APIs. Check there first and check out some samples before you even install Eclipse for Java Developers (downloadable at http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/downlo … x86_64.zip or http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/downlo … 2-x86.zip) and configure the Android Developer Tools (ADT). Configuration instructions for this plugin at http://developer.android.com/sdk/instal … -adt.html.
Beware that it may prompt you to download Android Studio. Do not do this. Android Studio is not accessible whatsoever and it will be a waist of space on your system.
You may download the Android SDK at http://dl.google.com/android/installer_ … indows.exe or http://dl.google.com/android/android-sd … ndows.zip.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2015-03-27 17:52:42

Ethin wrote:

OK, its official. I'm leaving the AG.NET community for a while. I'll still check back every day, as is my customary procedure, but don't expect any posts from me for a few months.

hmm, hmm, hmm?
anyways.
I might develop for android one of these days but I don't even know how to use one yet... ehehehe. As for Apple, nope, definitely not, til they learn how to treat devs and don't make me charge to put a free app on their store.
  It would be interesting to see a lot more games for the IMac computers and such, as well as Linux though.

2015-03-27 23:01:25

Hi,
Are you questioning me, Steve? (methinks ye are.) Yes, Apple is out, because A, I don't know objective-c because I can't grasp all the strange ways they do things (it lookk too-like Java), and 2, yes, they do charge for new apps. That's their problem, though. At least Google doesn't charge for new apps...

My Github

2015-03-27 23:55:08

Yes I am questioning. seems you were pretty definite on that post. so yes. This wasn't 93 or 124 days, but 2.
Anyways that's exactly why I'm not developing for apple. We do the hard coding, then we pay them to put apps on a store that otherwise wouldn't exist if we didn't. so No, thanks.

2015-03-28 00:01:27

Yes. I said 'I might'. I didn't say 'I would'. Did I sound 'quite definite'? Probably'. But that doesn't mean I would be gone for that long'. Also, yes'. Apple is terrible with their store stuff'. Why should we pay them', apple', to put apps in the app store', if we did all the coding', something that took a lot longer than paying about $100.00 or so', for an app'. Please, apple'? Are they that desperate'?

My Github

2015-03-28 00:09:00

"It's official. I'm leaving the audio games community" is not a might. it's official. Definite, 100%, in other words.
  anyway yes. That's basically a lose lose situation for most developers. Hey! Let's do all this hard work coding this game for apple customers, then spend $100 publishing it while the managers of apple sit there and snatch our money! Just wow. If that was imposed by Steve Jobs, I have reason the believe that his Cancer got to his brain. If it was Tim Cook, it's safe to say that the manager is a poorly trained scholar.