2007-04-05 23:49:08

Hi,

Does anyone know where I can find a shades of dume audio walkthrough? I've heard there's one around...?

Something something something insert canine related comment here

2007-04-06 04:09:49 (edited by Game Man 2007-04-06 04:12:29)

Hi
There is one just go to:
http://www.asmodean.net
and then click on the games section or what ever it's called and then go to audio walkthrough or something like that. I'm sorry I don't know what the links are named since I haven't gone there in a long time. There are other walkthroughs and reviews for other games as well such as GMA Tank Commander.
Hope this helps.
Game Man

Game Man

2007-04-06 04:49:34

Ah, cool, thanks.

2007-04-06 06:57:58

hi,
that website is currently down, or at least the games section. Liam erven hosts the walkthrough as well, it's the same page but not same address.
http://www.liamerven.com/games/
is the url.

2007-04-06 10:13:41

I believe that there's also a bit of SOD in the Main Menu archives, but that'll be a low-quality one.

2007-04-06 11:10:40

Hmmm Davy, as far as I know, the only Shades thing in main menue is Kelly Sapergia's review of the game. While it's certainly a good review and deffinately worth a listen to anyone deciding whether or not to buy the game, it's probably not helpful as an actual walkthrough in terms of telling you where to go etc, though Kelly does explain the basic nuts and bolts of the game quite nicely.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-04-06 13:42:30

Yeah, you're right. You have to do it with Liam Erven's mirror of Raul's walkthrough.

2007-04-06 16:59:48

Raul's walkthrough is good, though personally, I like the exploration and discovery aspects of the game myself too much to wish to use a walkthrough on my first run.

While I hope Raul does the same thing for Sarah, I'll only listen to the parts of the walkthrough that I've actually completed in game.

Oh Btw, if you want slightly less spoilery aid than Raul provides, there are the text walkthroughs on this site, (I particularly like Brian P's, but then again I like his other walkthroughs as well).

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-04-06 18:51:33

Well, it seems even the mirror itself is down. I can't access the audio walkthrough. I tried.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2007-04-07 01:58:59

er, ok.

Silly me- I found the walkthrough on an external hard drive.
But- I could access the mirror.

2007-04-07 03:47:12

Well hope you find it useful. I've just bought an external harddrive myself, and while it'll certainly be helpful in preserving my stuff (not to mention transferring onto my laptop), keeping it backed up in sink with what's on my regular Pc will be a miner pain.

If I can get the mike issues fixed I might try recording an audio walkthrough myself, though even if I can't, something which is fairly easy to play on speakers like Chillingham or Grizly might work if I stick to the easy level, perhaps Raul would even host it for me if I asked nicely.

As to the winning thing, I don't really see the problem at all, especially if your sharig your unique style of play. I never actually realized in pipe2 for example, that you could use both control keys and get some real speed on the hammer until I heard raul's recordings of the game (which greatly improved my own scores).

Then of course, different people are better or worse at different games, i am absolutely pants at any racing game, so any topspeed2 recordings (or recordings of Jim kitchin's mak1 game), always do far better than I could, ----- but this is just a personal thing.

As to talking in reviews and such, that's just a general skill I think, that i'm personally stil learning, but like anything else, I would guess it takes practice.

2007-04-07 06:12:23

I'm just cureous. because I've beaten SoD in the passed, many many times, though not for a long time(though I was obsessed with it a long time ago) does the audio walkthrough actually go through every aspect of the game, recording every room of every level?
does he do the final puzzle with the data wafers?

Official server host for vgstorm.com and developer of the Manamon 2 netplay server.
PSA: sending unsolicited PMs or emails to people you don't know asking them to buy you stuff is disrespectful. You'll just be ignored, so don't waste your time.

2007-04-07 07:00:19

Well, he does go through every room of every level, but he stops at level 8 so as not to spoil the end of the game which is good.

Hopefully Raul's site or the mirror will be back up soon so you can here it for yourself, i certainly found it intreaguing.

2007-04-07 09:02:08

Well, the end of the game is quite simple, so everyone can find out for themselves.

2007-04-08 06:03:36

I remember I found the boss annoying. he could teleport quite a distance and I would often find myself spending up to 5 minutes just searching for him. there'd be no sign of him for minutes, I'd walk around the room and then suddenly he was right there, like 3 feat from me, ready to nail me. didn't give me enough time to blast him with the bio disrupter.

Official server host for vgstorm.com and developer of the Manamon 2 netplay server.
PSA: sending unsolicited PMs or emails to people you don't know asking them to buy you stuff is disrespectful. You'll just be ignored, so don't waste your time.

2007-04-08 07:04:04

that was in v1.1, though. the v1.2 boss is entirely new.

2007-04-08 10:29:09

But fortunately he's still able to teleport around. And I think that he can even teleport a few feet out of the room.

2007-04-09 04:18:48

Heh, this game sounds interesting.

2007-04-09 04:48:43

Certainly is, it's an audio 3D exploration and shooter game vaguely similar to the doom series of main stream shooters.

It's atmospheric, very playable and decidedly terrifying in parts with it's audio.

You can find the game on The gma games website.

You can play the first game level for free, and unlike with some game demos, there's no limited time factor. Stil, I'd deffinately recommend buying the game.

The review mentioned in this thread can be found on the Main menue page which should give you a pretty good impression of how the game works.

Let us know what you think to it.

2007-04-09 06:28:38

the stupid thing with Main menu is that they are in mono. if you want a stereo review that is rather similar to that of kelly sapergia, sky taylor also reviews shades of doom on blind cool tech: www.blindcooltech.com. use the control plus f feature to find it.

2007-04-09 09:36:32

The stereo version of that Main Menu review is on Kelly's podcast. See http://www.ksapergia.net/ -- I believe it was the 2nd or 3rd issue.

2007-04-10 00:42:26

Wow, he has a podcast? I must say, I love his reviews. There informative, while at the same time,  right to the point.

2007-04-10 19:00:03

Ah yes,I'd forgotten about Kelly's castings of the pod. I haven't really had the time to cst one or any materiial worth casting about. I doubt people really need to hear the story of my Amazing Easter Emergency Room Adventure, in which I stubbed my toe severely enough to tear the nail almost all the way off.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2007-04-10 21:06:47

Castings of the pod! Yeah! In such a beautiful British accent!

2007-04-10 23:14:16

Lol. Well, his podcast was excellently done- I can't wait for more.