2024-04-28 12:17:30

I would love to play a game with the depth of Dwarf Fortress, but unfortunately from what I can tell it isn't accessible.

I have tried CK3 in the past, but I just wasn't huge on the accessibility mod it has, but perhaps I can give that another shot? It may have just not been my kind of game either but who knows haha.

Anyhow, any recommendations?

2024-04-28 23:42:15

CK3 is not like Dwarf Fortress. I'm biased obviously, but I definitely would recommend you give it another try.

There isn't really anything like DF, maybe Castaways by Aprone, in a much simplified form.

I keep meaning to look into DF accessibility again myself but the amount of work involved is fairly daunting. There's a lot of modding support via the DFHack project, so it's theoretically possible, just a matter of someone with patience and willpower.

2024-04-29 00:48:35

It may kind of depend on what mode of Dwarf Fortress you mean, the procedurally generated management side, or the exploration side of things. Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead has a certain level of depth to it with similar accoutrements, along with other roguelikes around.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2024-04-29 16:04:20

Well, if you are looking for a complex game with depth then Factorio might be for you. You can read more on the Factorio access wiki

2024-04-29 16:50:45

Yeah. I was debating whether to mention Factorio in this thread. It's very complex but not in the same way as DF. It's not got any procedural narrative stuff.

2024-05-01 23:32:10

warsim

2024-05-02 00:01:49

Aurora4x is also frequently titled the DF of space.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2024-05-05 01:27:45

Yeah, I do really want to give aurora a shot, but I don't know if it is necessarily my kind of game. I love immersive experiences, so my magnum opus would be if Elite Dangerous was accessible, but I love the idea of having those insane narrative stories you can tell your friends that come from Dwarf Fortress. Maybe I will give Aurora a shot some time. Is there a guide on the accessibility aspects of the game?