2024-03-19 07:17:04

So, I have used a tool that was created a while back called GDE. It allows those with no coding skills to do so through a GUI with lists and combo boxes and edit boxes and so on. I talked with the dev of it day in and day out to learn how it worked. I created my first test project with it. I had a main map with so much. Different tiles and zones. I was even able to make it so it looked as if you were even climbing stairs. I had things that would power on like air conditioners and a box fan in a house. But, you couldn't actually turn them on unless you went outside and turned on the generator. Man, I was so damn proud of that stuff. I really wish I could recreate it in something like python. many people are saying it is easy to learn. But, I am just so dumb when it comes to this stuff. I really wish there was another way for me to do this. I tried asking GPT about creating a simple map with a player object that can move around on the map. It did give the code and some bits of things to help understand the different parts, but, even that is boggling me. Lolol. See, I told you I was dumb with this stuff. Lol. Anyway, if anyone is willing to maybe do some 1 on 1 with me to help me learn interactively because I learn better that way than trying to read stuff. I would really appreciate it. I have been wanting to make a game for so long!!! When GDE was released, and I really started using it. I honestly felt like I was on the clouds. Yes, it was doing all the heavy lifting. But, with a little understanding of how to match things up, I learned so much with it. When i got things to actually work, I lost it, I mean, I was so excited. I loved making things work right and seeing the beautiful results. I just wish I could get that back again. I love it so much, but, I am afraid all the things required to code will throw me for a loop and I'll just be lost with nowhere to go Then, the passion will die again. man, I really don't want to lose this. I got somewhere. Now, I just want to go farther with it.

2024-03-19 07:56:42

I don't know what GDE is , but it sounds nice. I wish you continue with this journy but, the reason why it's worth to learn a programming language is because you will not be limited anymore. You can turn your ideas into code and have it working. I have an issue like you, I am not sure what to do, I need somebody to guide me seriously. I am now going with Python but have already heard enough that it is laggy and consumes a lot of resources in games. I am trying to use PYGame but couldn't find a documentation explains how to develop an audio game using this library. It's like I need a rescue because seriously I don't want to have BGT the only source remaining. For now NGT is not yet done and it lacks a lot of implementations, that's why I am obliged to use Python. Yet no guide on how to begin with PyGame. Because the rest of Python syntax should already be easy to grab

2024-03-19 09:04:46

@1, I have seen it posted many times in this room that you should not try to make games when first learning to program, because coding for games is very complex. Maybe try making a simple Hello, World thing instead? Then, try to make a simple text editor. After that, you should be acquainted with the language enough that you should be able to code a game. But don't worry if you still do not get it; coding and game development is not for everybody.
@2, I don't use python mutch, but I think if people's code is lagging and there pcs are slowing down, it is the developer's falt, not the language, but that is how I see it.

I am a divine being. I can be called a primordial deity, but that might be pushing it, a smidge. I am the only one of my kind to have ten tails, with others having nine. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I have ascended my own race.

2024-03-19 09:07:07 (edited by magurp244 2024-03-21 09:39:07)

@1
Programming isn't all that different from an engine, its just a bit more abstract and requires a few more explicit steps. For example, creating a map is as simple as using a 2D array with each variable in the 2D grid representing a type of tile. So for example 1 could equal a wall, 0 an open floor, 2 a door, 3 a switch, etc. Learning to program with a specific language just helps you get a handle on the basic building blocks for putting these kinds of things together, and then building on them to create what you want. I would advise learning the basics to begin with, variables, operators, if/else, loops, functions, and classes, so as to build the core logic of your game, then you can move on to things like Pygame for handling windows, keyboard/mouse input, and audio playback. Of course, there's nothing wrong with playing around if you like, so feel free to take it at whatever pace you like.

@2
Python isn't laggy nor resource hungry, like any language it can depend heavily on how you use and/or optimize it. Some lower level languages can be more optimized and efficient than others, but that also comes at the cost of being more cumbersome and time consuming to write and manage. If your looking for a particular guide, I do believe there's one by amerikranian in the Articles section.

Over the years I've also posted a number of python examples for things like Menu's, audio/keyboard handling, and network programming if either of you are interested in playing around with something. You can find a bunch of them here. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2024-03-19 09:07:16 (edited by Ethin 2024-03-19 09:08:37)

@2, Python isn't laggy/resource intensive for games. It's more like games in general are resource intensive. An alternative to pygame is Raylib, which has a game loop that doesn't make your CPU spin up to max (I know that Pygame used to do this but maybe it doesn't anymore?), but you also must learn how to write game loops.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2024-03-19 10:13:31

Start small.
Learn one or two tricks, make something to test your understanding, then make the simplest game you can with only those tricks. Add some complexity, then learn some more powerful tricks. Repeat until you can get the levels of complexity and quality you want.
There's a reason companies divide the process into designers and programmers (and the bigger teams assign programmers to different aspects of the project). The skills involved are legion. But in spite of that, there are many solo developers who make good games, so it's not as overpoweringly complex as that might make it sound.
So, where to start? I guess it depends on what you'd have the easiest time using as an entry point, and that's hard to determine. Personally, I started with basic HTML and javascript, using Frontpage and basic online tutorials. But that was back when HTML and javascript were far simpler (and less standardized). These days, I'm not sure how beginner-friendly either is.
Lots of people suggest Python, which does have a few advantages, though every library or module you add is a whole new thing to learn. One of the great things about Python is that it comes with a command line interpretter, so you can quickly try things or check the built-in documentation for whatever you want to learn. The deeper you go down the gaming rabit hole, the more you have to start worrying about if this version of that module supports this other module's current version, or if some leftover 32bit dll is trying to load in a 64bit environment, or some mess like that... But, in theory, by the time you get there, you should have an idea of how to cope. To get started, though? Just install Python, learn the basics of command line use, and start playing with basic input and output. You can do a lot with input / print / if / while, if you're OK with text as a medium.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2024-03-19 18:48:47

@4, could you please compile all those links into one page, or maybe give it to @Amerikranian to include in his guide? One place to rule them all is pretty convenient.

I am a hunter named Grunt. I didn't realize that until now.

2024-03-21 03:00:13

@7
That's... a pretty good idea actually. It would be more convenient to have a single page to reference for all the examples that have piled up. I'll look into putting something up in the Articles room and updating my previous post.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2024-03-21 13:37:59

Thanks sir. Have a good day.

I am a hunter named Grunt. I didn't realize that until now.