2024-03-10 05:02:44 (edited by Blindstonadad 2024-03-10 06:32:50)

Hello fellow humans, i am a completely blind screen reader user that is interested in making my first online multiplayer card game with voice chat. However having no coding experience i do have some questions. First from what i have been told i have to learn programming first, what do you recommend is the best programming language to learn regarding accessibility? from what i have gathered c# is the one i am most interested in because its the most common used in main streamed games.(from what i heard). Though i amup for learning any other mainstream languages that provide better accessibility as well as good performance for online games. Secondly Any reccomendations for good resources on learning the reccomended language? Last question is after i learn said program, what software do i use to write my code in that is accessible? Any general tips  or guidance on my journey would be greatly appreciated. Thank You lovely community.

2024-03-10 09:08:26

Games are written in many different languages, such as Java/Javascript, C#/C/C++, HTML5, python, etc. When starting out the choice of language is usually what your comfortable with, as all languages share certain similarities learning one can help you more easily learn others. An experienced programmer will usually know several languages, as they each have their own strengths and weaknesses.

C# is not all that bad of a language to start with, and there are a few people here who can help with that. I usually recommend Python, in large part because its powerful, easy to learn, flexible, has a lot of documentation, and a strong community supporting it that can help you out if you need it.

I don't have much experience with C# myself, so hopefully someone may chime in with some helpful resources on that. For Python, you can head over to Python.org to install Python interpreter, then check out some free books which are all over the place. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2024-03-10 15:49:44

i also want to try game development.
i am not good at maths/science etc.
what would you recomend for me, as a beginner?
i've tried some html before, but only to learn.
any engines/tools?
im also not great at reading.
any audio materials or resources?
i intend to stick to a single-player game, maybe an rpg.

discord: hellblade09

2024-03-11 11:05:40

Programming does require a certain degree of math, though it can depend on what you want to do, and is more applied than theoretical. As for which language, it would still be Python, as its easy to learn, powerful/flexible, has a lot of documentation, and a strong community that can help out if you need it.

Unfortunately, there are few if any accessible game engines, though there are a few IDE tools that are accessible you could use. Furthermore, programming can require a substantial amount of reading, both in writing and studying it, although I suppose if using a screen reader that may depend on how one interprets reading. There are Python video tutorials, although being able to scrape the code from those to test and run yourself can be problematic at times. Besides books, there are also other classroom style sites that offer courses as well.

As before, I'd recommend learning the basics, variables, operators, if/else, loops, functions, and classes. Then you can move on to things like libraries and API's for creating windows, handling keyboard/mouse, and audio playback.

2024-03-14 03:41:01

SO I INSTALLED THE PYTHON INTERPRETER AND WHEN I OPEN IDLE AND IN THE PYTHON SHELL I CANT WRITE CODE. Am i missing something?

2024-03-14 07:07:08

dont use idle. use a normal editor like notepad and run it from the command line. idle is made with tkinter which is not accessible

if you like this post, please thum it up!
if you like to see my projects, feel free to check out my github
if you want to contact me, you can do here by skype. or you can follow me on twitter: @bhanuponguru
discord: bhanu#7882

2024-03-14 10:21:40

If you want to do full-on game development, math is definitely a requirement. You don't need to know algebra or something but you should understand coordinate systems, vectors and how to manipulate them. But before you learn that, I would start out small. Make simple command-line games. That teaches you a lot of game and programming concepts at the same time. Start with something like guess the number and then move onto slightly more advanced projects and so on and so forth. Once you've mastered programming concepts you can work on using actual game engines like Raylib.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2024-03-14 10:35:17

how much math?
i can do basic arithmatic.
any science concepts required?

2024-03-14 12:04:04

@8
Besides arithmetic you can expect to also use a lot of algebra as well. Other types may also include geometry and trigonometry, etc. Keep in mind that using math, or science concepts, in this context is largely a means to an end, its more a question of what it does relative to what you want to do.

2024-03-14 16:05:22

@8 it's very dependent on what your trying to create. If you want to make a 3D FPS for example expect to learn how to work with vectors, possibly matrices too depending on what you want it to do.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2024-03-14 17:25:12

ok.
i am planning on mainly rpgs, or story-based games.
how's renpi?
is it fully accessible, and would i be able to make a visual novel using it?

2024-03-14 23:15:10

Theoretically you could use Renpy, per the documentation it has a self-voicing mode you can toggle, though there may still need to be some specific structuring to take advantage of it when writing the code.

2024-03-14 23:22:25

@7 I think algebra is a core to programming. Variables, arrays etc all need a good grasp of algebra. I haven't programmed in years but I'm pretty sure the same is still true.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2024-03-15 03:30:11 (edited by Blindstonadad 2024-03-15 03:32:05)

Hello amazing peoples i have done hours of research and practice and im still not understanding how to input my code to run through the cmd line through vs code. even if i write some code on notepad with a a py file or vs code py file  and open the cmd prompt i enter python filename.py it does not run my code as im aware i press the jaws cursor to hear feedback and to no avail . it just usually opens up a directery i believe . Help please? i feel like im so close to another checkpoint... so far im aware i can execute lines of code in the cmd prompt>python>code>enter button> code. but that seems slow and sluggish since i cant do multiple lines of code together at one time from what i can tell ii cant even pastelines of code in this command prompt. ... what am i missing? thank you

2024-03-15 04:12:36

@13, I mean sometimes. An algebraic background helps one understand variables and such but I've never had to use it (unless Vectors and matrices count?).
@14, can you be more specific as to what you are doing? What is the output your getting? Your entering `python file.py` but is `file.py` in the directory where your at in the command prompt/power shell?

My Github

2024-03-15 05:12:45

@15 i made a py file called t1.py with 3 simple lines of code. 1st line is a=1 2nd is b=2 and final line is a+b then i open the command prompt and type python t1.py  and when i execute the line i get this message "C:\Users\16239>python t1.py"

2024-03-15 10:24:01

@16
Is t1.py in the current directory your in when you type "python t1.py"? Also, given the way you've written the script, it will not give you any feedback unless you specifically print the result, like so:

a = 1
b = 2
print(a+b)

This will print the last line, a+b, on the command line.