2024-03-12 18:59:39

I've recently found myself playing through a few arcade titles just for fun.

Bsc's games, Audio wizards, and blind drive to name a few.

One thing I miss however, is  stat tracking and achievements!

Look at a game like Feer! The game is as simple as it gets, dodge the zombies/robots and grab power ups, however there's a constant mechanic of collecting more and more lights, or doing little missions to earn rewards that just makes the game that bit more addictive, since even if you start, have a terrible game and get yourself creamed fairly instantly, you've made progress.

I never played it on pc, and now it's sadly unavaialble, but one game I remember was Space encounter from audio.it

About as basic a space invaders game as there is, albeit some of the invader sounds, and location names  were pretty cool, and I liked the tilt mechanic on the phone.

However, one thing that game did have, is a constant rank system, and yee gods! it took a lot of kills to rise in rank.

Of course, this goes with the caveat that an arcade game must itself be actually reasonable to play.
Personally, I get a little tired of all of those games which increase challenge by just filling the screen with random stuff or having survival dependent upon aarangee the god of random numbers being in a good mood, or indeed games with a set reaction pattern.

Obviously the action/rpgs like mist world, shadow line, and the bk series, do have something of this, since you can grind for points or weapons or coins by killing the same monsters, not to mention games like Swamp or new horizons which require fast action repetitive monster or spaceship kills for items or advancement.

However, here I was specifically thinking of games like blind drive, or audio wizards or indeed Feer, games that don't pretend to be anything more than they are on the surface, but just do what they do very well, games that would imho go from good time wasters to truly addictive if they just had a little progressive stat tracking.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)