2024-03-06 21:13:58

Hey guys,
I'm looking at developing an NVDA addon, and had afew questions.
for 1, where is the code documentation?  I have read the developer guide, but it makes refrence to code documentation.  Is that an actual file somewhere, or does it just mean to go read through the code and look at docstrings.
For 2, my planned addon would use external modules, how do I actually get a version of that module working, so that the user doesn't have to have it installed.
Apologies if these are super basic questions that I should know the answer for, I'm still learning programming, so basic common sense stuff might get past me at times.

2024-03-07 14:07:52

if comes to modules,  bundle them, get them from site packages with all dependencies and there ya go.

meow meow.

2024-03-07 15:18:36

yeah, that was the method I was thinking of, just hoping their might be a better option out their.

2024-03-07 17:22:32

You should probably post on the NVDA Add-ons development list on groups.io instead of here. Most add-on developers are there.

2024-03-07 17:33:09

ah, thanks, I didn't know that existed.  let me go do that.

2024-03-11 04:46:41

As for source documentation, the dev guide really is the best thing out there to get started. Once you've mastered each of those concepts it comes down to what you want the add-on to do.

I would clone the source tree, then start at source/globalCommands.py for global plugins, anything in the appModules folder for app modules, etc. Chances are good that a variation of the NVDA specific stuff you want has already been implemented in core somewhere.