2023-06-15 21:31:15

Maybe I'm missing something, I haven't been around nearly as much over the past few weeks, but I haven't seen much regarding the future of the website post-migration. Is there any news on anything?

-----
Matthew's Horse Needs Your Support!
Discord: misterkrabs69

2023-06-15 22:47:00

It's more broken than ever before and the staff seem to be pretty absent in general.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2023-06-16 09:04:07

I think we really need to get serious about migrating to a different site at this point. I know there are plenty of people here with the resources to do this kind of thing, but at least most of us will need to be on board with it if it isn't to flop like so many other forums have. I've heard a lot of noise about Lemmy, haven't looked into it too much yet, but perhaps that might be a viable option, particularly given it's API module. It could be even more convenient than this website if we do it right.

2023-06-16 19:25:28 (edited by Lucas1 2023-06-16 22:24:27)

The audiogaming community is such a niche community that I do actually think you can switch to a federated platform without losing something critical. I don't think that in many other cases but this community could probably switch relatively easily. However, you will likely end up losing certain valuable contributions no matter what you do.
Edit: Changed valuable to critical in the first sentence since that's really what I meant to say.

2023-06-16 19:47:02

@4, probably, but if the forum is falling apart and its only getting worse... we'll have to do it sooner or later.

sound designer for mental vision, and Eurofly3.
take a look at
My freesound pageWhere I post sounds I record. ps: if you use my sounds, remember to credit me smiley

2023-06-16 20:43:01

I do indeed wonder how long this search feature takes getting looked into? It's been reported again and again for a few months and nothing! Unless it's fixed by now... I'd say more on a lot more things but I'm not going into. You know where I stand.

Jonathan Candler, A.K.A, Jonnyboy

2023-06-17 00:56:51

I've submitted the topic to the rest of the team, as the search and edit lag aren't really something I can look into myself. I've got access to the registration system i.e: I can approve people in, and I also have access to admin/moderator features, and the database. I don't have access in such a way that I can modify the actual scripts or anything like that, and as said above this is because I lack the skills to do so at that sort of level.

2023-06-17 05:11:41

I've never used Lemmy, but it's honestly probably better than what we have now, which is a bunch of cobbled together failing components. With a name like Lemmy, it had damned well better be good. Lemmy was awesome.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2023-06-17 05:35:41

@3, Like I've said before, in theory that sounds great. In practice, it won't work.
There are people that still refuse to even try Discord despite several topics saying it's accessible and that the accessibility continues to improve.
If they won't do that, the chances they would be willing to switch to an entirely new forum are pretty slim.
A lot of people in this community are set in their ways and refuse to try new things.

2023-06-17 06:25:37

That's their problem. Let people who want to switch switch, And once enough important people like streamers/game developers/anything decide to move, The people that you speak of will be forced to move.

2023-06-17 12:04:31

exactly. Plus, the situation with Discord is a little bit different. It was completely inaccessible for much of its early existence, and it’s still honestly far from perfect, particularly on platforms other than windows. Lemmy offers an API and I’ve heard the web end is pretty accessible and improving constantly, so we’ll always be able to access it regardless of our individual preferences. Just look at how quickly people switched to Mastodon once Twitter kicked the bucket. Same deal.

2023-06-17 17:23:30

I mean, Discord has forums now.

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2023-06-17 21:34:31

I like discord as the fast chat client thing with big servers like stuff, But having things like topics where you have to hop around things sounds like a nightmare, Mainly on mac, Not sure about mobile and linux, But I don't think they'll have it better.

2023-06-18 02:32:49

Yeah scrolling through channels on Mac OS and IOS is an absolute nightmare for me, it has a habit of jumping the focus to a random point in the chat, often miles away from where I want to be. It's doable with some frustration if you just need to respond to a single message, but anything else would definitely be pushing it. Plus at the end of the day, whatever your opinions are regarding it's accessibility or lack there of, it suffers from the same problem as Reddit, it's hosted by a huge corporation that only cares for it's own interests and will drop us the moment it feels it can get away with it. We needn't make the same mistake twice.

I've done a bit of messing around with Lemmy, and I like what I see so far. It integrates with the Fediverse extremely well, for instance it can interact with a fair few similar reddit replacement projects that have popped up recently. I'm not sure to what extent it can interact with Mastodon, but I'll definitely be taking a look at that too. Accessibility wise the site could certainly be better, but it's being worked on, currently accessibility fixes can only be found in the dev beta, but they should be added to stable soon.

2023-06-18 05:53:47

I could get behind a new forum, using discourse or something. But I'd prefer to stay out of the Fediverse stuff. Not necessary for a simple website, and seems kinda stupid to me anyways.

-----
Matthew's Horse Needs Your Support!
Discord: misterkrabs69

2023-06-18 10:43:16

I strongly disagree. If you take a look at Lemmy, it's literally Reddit but federated. If you've used Reddit for any length of time, you'll understand why it's an ideal system for a community like ours. Hell, Lemmy instances aren't even federated by default, so we could even keep it defederated if that were to be an issue, or it's also possible to only federate with specific instances. Plus, again, there's the API, which will be fucking amazing once someone with the right knowhow takes advantage of it. By comparison, I'm really not seeing what Discourse has to offer. Sure it does it's job reasonably well, but we'd be cutting off our noses to spite our faces.

2023-06-21 16:25:31

We should probably start by getting a new team.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here