2023-05-13 10:47:53

Hopefully, it's optional integration too. I don't feel like giving out my Discord, however...

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2023-05-13 13:57:25

Hi.
The game runs fine here on my virtual machine on my Mac using NVDA.
@lml5280: To chub down a tree, you have to find the spot where you walk into the tree. That gives a bump sound. When you walk into the area with the tree, the screenreader announce the tree. Then, you have to find the tree, and stand right in front of it to chub it down.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2023-05-13 17:34:26

Ok, thanks for the tip. I managed to chop trees.
I really like the concept of this game and am enjoying it so far. However, my biggest complaint is that I feel like there's really no way to play without a guide open. For example, there's no way to find out how to craft certain things or to find certain items in the game, at least not that I've seen. It's the same with maps. Without using a guide, I feel like I'm just aimlessly wandering around with no clue how to get anywhere or find anything.

2023-05-13 18:01:17

@53 you can find a lot of helpful stuff here:
https://blackscreengaming.com/stw/index.php

2023-05-13 19:16:32

Not sure if this is something that needs fixing eventually, but I've also noticed that the longer the client is open, the longer it takes to close. I should try messing with the memory buffer size and see if that has anything to do with it.

2023-05-13 19:21:13

there is this file with text guides on crafting and some other stuff. and the crafting file includes text guides on everything able to be crafted or something. can anybody give me the link to that?

if you buy a king sized bed, you're left with more bed room, but less bedroom!

2023-05-13 22:58:07

Well with a bit of help from Destruvtotron, Storm, I got it running. I shot you a message on the list about how I did it, and can confirm it does, indeed, work under WINE

Now if I can remember how to even play. If anyone finds that n00b guide. I'd like a copy too. I'm a complete what do I do beginner n00b, argh

Also on Linux natively

2023-05-13 23:32:04

I managed to kill and cook a rabbit. I thought that when it was cooked, it would end up in my inventory but apparently not. I burned it so couldn’t eat it.

2023-05-14 00:25:33

@57 you should be able to read the built in help in the game if you click control H.
further you could also go to blackscreengaming.com for crafting guides for various items.

2023-05-14 00:32:46

Well, I can't emember my old account so....

Right, do I need to make a new one and find time to play in among everything else that's going on?

Also on Linux natively

2023-05-14 00:40:46

@46, There really isn't any kind of goal to the game other than to survive.
Make things, hunt, complete quests, what you do is up to you.
@48, To do stuff with a fire, make sure you're on the same tile.
@60, Try hitting Forgot your Password and put in the email that was linked with your old character.
If you already made a new account, there should be an import character option.

2023-05-14 00:57:50

Turns out nope, didn't have an account in the system. Welp, time to go make one, methinks...

Also on Linux natively

2023-05-14 01:23:51

@lml5280 How did you cook it?
Did you start a fire and drop it inside with backspace? Because that is the only way you would lose it, and in fact isn't how you cook one.
You should use a spit for this, or a skillet for larger amounts. In the past you could also cook it manually, i.e. press space on the fire with it in your hand, but I think that is no longer possible, at least according to what I read yesterday. The link posted back in  this topic to Black screen gaming also has the info on how you cook the food, most of it is still relevant, borrowing a few changes, i.e. the thing I said above about manual cooking and also the fact you need to turn the spit now. When this is required, you'll be told and you press space to do so.

2023-05-14 04:06:02

I actually did use a spit so I don’t know what happened. I have managed to do it correctly now.

2023-05-14 05:55:56

@62, If that character wasn't paid it was probably deleted due to you being inactive for too long.

2023-05-14 06:12:02

can someone share a changelog?
not sure if I want to try it, but curious to know what's been updated added.
Grryf

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2023-05-14 07:29:01

new in 0.99.6 beta (12 May, 2023):
    * Important Changes: These are changes to the game that are extremely important and/or large, and could drastically change your game-playing experience. It's advised you read all of these before you log onto public beta. Also, if you haven't played during the small window between when the update in October 2021 was released and when it was reverted, you might be interested in the september/october 2021 changelog.
        After over 7 years of lag and enjoyment, constant learning and endlessly skirting limitations, head pain and problem solving pleasure, libaudioverse and gamelib, workarounds and hacks, challenges and breakthroughs, a game that wouldn't exist otherwise and uncountable moments of utter rage and frustration, and finally after what was supposed to be the start to my most massive and game changing update streak went horribly wrong... I am happy to report that Survive the Wild is no longer running in BGT! Once I saw the aftermath of the disaster that was October's update release, mostly caused by bgt's unavoidable garbage collector and closed source/AV flagged/abandoned nature just like many of STW's issues in the past, and furthermore when I realized that BGT made it nearly impossible to sign Survive the Wild with an SSL certificate so I can be a verified publisher, I finally decided enough was enough and wrote my own C++/angelscript based engine that could run Survive the Wild's existing code as is, with improvements! In short, I can now modify any part of the application we need instead of just what BGT allowed me to modify and/or what I could hack into working. The script interpreter running STW's code is no longer 8 years old, nor is the networking library, nor are any other components of the game. Things will thus now run much faster and much more smoothly! While many of the changes this brings will be internal at first, below lists the most important/noticeable of these changes, as well as everything else that's been changed for this update! Hopefully now we get to focus on developing the game rather than working on ways to avoid lag or rigging an abandoned game engine to continue working with moddern features! A huge thanks to Philip Bennefall (Blastbay Studios) for creating BGT. Though it is quite the shame that it was abandoned, there is no denying the inspiration, knowledge, projects and in some cases life change it has brought to some people, including me. Thanks for unairingly being a massive part in helping me get to where I am and to do the things I do today! Now that we can finally move on from BGT, the community of STW can hopefully start to remember bgt as the enspiring project that has caused this game to exist as it does today, rather than the old abandoned and antiquated engine that has held the game back in such unenjoyable manners for so many years. Thanks much Philip, you've really helped me come a long way and have inspired me greatly!
        Upgraded to steam audio v4.14, improved and faster 3d audio!
        A new help documentation library is now included in the game, and is accessible from the main user interface under the "help" menu option. The library has many articles that can help you learn about new features in the game, as well as get you up to speed on things you might've forgotten.
        A new tracking system has been implemented. This system is extensively customizable, incredibly powerful and improves the task of finding and monitoring nearby objects in so many uncountable ways that it would be impractical to list them all here. Relevant help documentation is already available in the previously mentioned help library. However, here's a summary:
        it is now possible to find and track objects without even so much as leaving the game keyboard area! You can use dash and equals to move between items in a tracklist, and backspace to start tracking one. Shift+dash and equals moves between tracklist, and shift+backspace stops tracking any object you are currently tracking. If you are tracking an object, shift+numbers always retrieves information on the object you are tracking. If you are not tracking one, shift+numbers will give information on the currently focused object. Shift+the first letter of a tracklist will jump you to that tracklist.
        It is now possible for any object to have a beacon sound and a locking indicator, even while not tracking it! The only exception to this is map tiles. In general however, you can now access the nearby list and select an object, then use shift+numbers to open a dialog that will let you control how a certain object is represented in the game. When in the nearby list, you can use shift+dash and shift+equals to control how global your settings changes will be, such as whether you are changing settings for all items, all bike items, or a unique bike. ctrl+shift+backspace to reset some settings to default, or ctrl+shift+alt+backspace to reset all settings to default.
        Survive the wild is now one of the first audiogames that can claim true 3d aiming support! Using the 4 and 5 keys, you can aim up to 90 degrees upward or downward - this allows you to hunt animals from atop a tree, attack players who could be jumping, and throw weapons straight up in the air, among other things.
        Non-player characters in the game now have their own dedicated system after having been recoded from the ground up. This means that animals (and other things, like people, in the future) have been ripped out, revamped and remastered - safe to say it is now much less wise to kick  a bear to death. This entry is being left rather vague because it's up to you to discover the new animals for yourself!
        The old combo system has now been replaced with a brand new skill system. Skill points, a feature coming in the future, allow you to power up your character in a variety of ways, and this system is still in its early stages
        The game now has an expanded set of rules. Upon opening the new beta version for the first time, you will be prompted to familiarize yourself with them (the first launch screen is discussed later).
    * code and user interface changes: Changes to the code that don't directly effect gameplay, changes to UI (like menus), quality of life improvements, and more - this section is a good place to go after you've finished reading the important changes, should you be looking for more reading material or should you simply want to understand just how many improvements this update has in all areas.
        Because of having to use angelscript much more directly, I've learned all sorts of handy useful things about the engine, allowing me to make some modifications to the game's codebase itself to use angelscript in the most lag free way possible. There should be far fewer memory allocations and copying of data on function argument stacks, just as a start.
        Rewrote the server updater from scratch! It should be far more stable and produce far fewer failed updates. Also it includes a public notification that is sent when a server update is imminent!
        If you select a new conversation while a partially typed message exists in the current one, that message will be stored in the conversation before it is deselected, then restored when the conversation containing the unsent message is re-selected. Previously the partially typed message would just carry over to the newly selected conversation, which was undesirable to say the least.
        The enter message text field has now been renamed and now includes the name of the conversation you are messaging in.
        Survive the Wild now uses SQLite to store all of it's serverside dynamic data, such as characters, accounts, group chats and much more. Prior to this, I was using several home-grown formats, serialized bgt dictionaries, or the INI parser I also had to write in BGT to store the various elements of our game data. While we're still using this INI parser (now converted to NVGT) to handle static variables such as the description of an item or the temprature modifier of a piece of clothing, we are now finally using a proper and well battletested database engine to store not just dynamic data, but also all game logs. The benefits to this transition are too numerous to completely list here, but some of them include far less stress on the server's disk drives, much improved data reliability (no more account db crash like what happened in Jan 2022), admins can search through logs using quickly executing SQL statements which let them fetch needed data hundreds of times faster than before when they used tools similar but slower than grep to do their work, backups will be much easier now (we can just send sql queries over the wire or backup a couple of files), ease of implementation and future proofed possibility of expantion -- I could go on and on about how awesome SQLite is or really SQL in general, but lets just say it's a good thing we're finally using it!
        Survive the Wild is now integrated with discord! The integration will doubtless grow vastly over time.
        Something cool happened to the game's main UI. Whenever a dialog is opened from the options list now, instead of the dialog taking over the entire screen, it now conveniently appears right beside the options list and works as normal, so now you can, for example, continue playing the game while reading an announcement! It originally happened because admins needed to be able to chat in support tickets while also doing other things on the game such as querying character info, but we decided to do this for nearly every dialog on the game as well, because it's just universally useful!
        When you leave an arena, your facing should now be properly restored to what it was before you entered.
        This will be more configurable later, but I wanted to do at least something in the mean time to reduce the annoyance of the periodic stat sounds, such as the breathing for stamina or chip eating sound for hunger. As such, for the moment the stamina sound won't play unless stamina is less than 250, health will not play unless it is less than 850, hunger will not play unless it is greater than 700, and thirst will not play unless it is greater than 700. Later, a dialog or settings category will exist to configure these.
        The options dialog has been renamed to settings so as to not conflict with the options menu list in the game's main UI, and the players list was renamed to the online players list.
        Speaking of the settings dialog, it has finally been split into categories! You can now up and down arrow through the category list and it will change the settings shown when you tab around, no more massive dialog! You can even press any shortcut (alt+letter) from the category list to jump to any setting in any category with that shortcut to make finding your most changed settings even easier!
        Chat aliases can now be multiline.
        It should now be possible to press alt+shift to change keyboard languages from within the game! I'm not sure I've emulated windows perfectly here as I've had to actually detect the keys myself and call the windows API function to switch keyboard layouts instead of somehow passing alt+shift through to windows, but it is functional and can be improved in time if the current behavior is not desireable.
        Improved several messages so that they only speak rather than going into the misc buffer, such as when you can't interact 2 items together, when you can't use a bike and a few more.
        Improved multi-letter navigation in the inventory and other menus.
        You can now press control+c while focused on any item in the inventory to copy the raw name of the item to the clipboard (thanks Sinbad).
        You can now also press the grave key in the inventory menu itself to get extra information on an item quicker!
        You will now be instantly informed if you cannot give a certain item rather than having to fill out the dialog to find out first.
        The default tracking key has switched to w, and the default key that reports wet, dirty and other statistics is now o for other stats or other info.
        It is now possible to mark your Survive the Wild account for permanent deletion. To do this, you must have no characters imported or linked to your account. Then, after clicking the mark for deletion option in the account menu where you select your characters, you must wait 30 days without reconnecting to Survive the Wild. Do not attempt to reconnect to your account even if you just intend to log out of it, or else the deletion mark will be cleared. You are only allowed one account on Survive the Wild, so there should be no genuine situations where you wish to delete your account only to log into or create another one. Keep in mind that you will permanently lose any remaining credits in your account if you do this, and Survive the Wild's payment disclaimer makes it very clear that you will not be refunded if you decide to delete your characters or account.
        Thanks to a bass update, you can now tell the game to use the default input device you've configured in your system!
        You can now choose who can watch you! In the trusts menu there is a new option at the bottom of the menu which acts as a toggle between no one, mutually trusted players, trusted players, and everyone. If someone is watching you when you switch this option to no one, or if an untrusted player is watching you when you switch this option to trusted or mutually trusted players, such a then unauthorised person will instantly be forced to stop watching you.
        Character creation will now log in account history.
        You can now turn in a circle much much faster with control+shift+left and right arrow!
        The exit confirmation is now on by default.
        Added greek language channel thanks to a suggestion.
        Gave the game's translation engine some needed attention! Playing the game with a translation active should now be far less laggy on lower end computers, and fixed a couple of internal bugs. Most importantly though, translators can now use regular expressions to help resolve string matching conflicts, and we now have a method to fragment many of the game's more complicated strings into smaller, more manageable segments. %1={\d+} health [=] %1 hp. Read the translation documentation for more info!
        When you click on the character and account menu, you're now informed what character and account you're currently logged in as, that way you know what character your changes will effect.
        At long last, there is finally a subtle walking speed limit to help combat macros. It should not be noticed assuming honest game play!
        The unlink your character option now always shows in the account menu even if it is disabled, and if you click on it in such a case you will hear the time until you can next unlink your character.
        Character renames were renamed to character modifications to make the same variable able to be used in multiple areas of similar sensitivity, and you are now limited to purchasing one a month.
        At long last, you can now change your gender! This is done using the option in the character and account menu. Be Aware though that this uses one of your character modifications!
        Your inventory now closes if you fall asleep while it is open.
        The game's sapi layer is now extremely responsive! Thank you Philip for the windows SAPI layer! I now trim the audio that SAPI generates, making most SAPI voices start speaking extremely quickly due to all silence prepended to the speech being removed.
        When the speech function splits text into chunks, it now does so at a space so that text doesn't split in the middle of a word.
        For translators, in tracking lists or for object announcements, the description is translated on a separate line from the distance and angle string, this way you can just translate the description strings once without having to copy them for each permutation of the distance/angle strings.
        Much of the map system is now in C++ and is used for more than just tile lookups. Now instead of looping through every animal on the server whenever a bullet travels a single tile, we can now simply loop through all animals, objects, players etc that are in range of the firing bullet instead, for example. This will cause a massive lag reduction, especially considering how many objects will populate the game world in the future!
        The online players list should now be much more synchronised.
        There are now shortcut keys to access various menus - control+h for help, control+shift+h for help search, control+shift+l for language, control+q for quests, control+t for trusts, control+shift+m for mutes, control+p to spend points, control+s to spend credits, control+a for arenas, control+c for character and account, control+shift+s for support and contact, and control+shift+g to allow adding to group chat. These are all adjustable in keyconfig.
        Improved muting - it should now be far more difficult to create spam characters that get around player mutes.
        In the inventory, you can now press alt+space repeatedly to have the user interface temporarily sort your items for you in various ways! You can toggle between no sorting, reversed, alphabetical, alphabetical reversed, quantities, and quantities reversed. Reordering inventory items manually only works in the no sorting or reversed modes at this time, as reordering items in any other sorting modes would cause the sorting to go out of order.
        In the settings dialog, you now have more control over whose online and offline messages are read! Instead of a checkbox, you can now select in a list between nearby players only, trusted players only, trusted and nearby players, and everyone.
        Formatted this changelog just a tad and indented all items in each version, so people with indent navigation utilities can now navigate it much more conveniently.
        The control key now works in audio forms to silence speech.
        In the settings dialog, you can now choose whether you wish for the game to install a keyhook when JAWS is running. This should hopefully improve compatibility in the game with more versions of JAWS, as you can now use both the versions that work well with the keyhook, and those that don't as well.
        We finally have a first launch screen! New users of the game can now select their language, agree to the license and rules, and get a few useful tips about the game before they even see the main menu for the first time!
        As a test of some improvements regarding dynamic item scripting, dice cups have received major improvements! You can now interact any dice cup with any other dice cup to role that sum number of dice, and there are also now different sizes of dice cups as well as different sizes of dice.
        The quest system is now integrated with the shared angelscript module, meaning quests can now be fully scripted instead of simply item based! Examples of this are provided, meaning that there are some new location indifferent quests!
        Our scripting layer can now even interface with the game's options lists! This means that a worldmaker can now insert options into the menus, such as when applicable for quests.
        Added an entertainment inventory category which contains most of the less useful fun or play items, such as dice or water balloons.
        It is now possible to press control+delete on a pm conversation to delete it from your conversations list. You can also do this with a group chat, but this will cause you to leave the group chat!
        It is finally possible to mute group chats! Press control+m on a group chat in the conversations list to toggle whether you have muted one, or type /mute in the group chat to acomplish the same thing. If a group chat is muted, you will only receive messages in it if the muted group chat is the active conversation.
        Pressing control+c on a conversation in the conversation list would always export the currently selected conversation rather than the one you were focused on in the conversations list. This has now been resolved.
        Renames now always show in the store even if the conditions are not met, this way players can know the price of them ahead of time.
        There is now a purchase credits option at the bottom of the spend credits menu which conveniently opens the store in your web browser.
        In the character and account menu, you can now click the copy inventory dump option to copy a secure dump of your character's inventory to the clipboard. It's /invdump but in the UI. Now, however, the name of the character and the date of the dump are included at the top of the dump to help with verification. Furthermore, players can now also verify the valitity of these inventory dumps by using the provided option in the character and account menu, so staff members are no longer required for this! /invdump generates the same exact result for convenience.
        Weapons should be far less laggy!
        Speaking of weapons, they now have damage types! Press the grave key on a melee weapon to see what type of damage(blunt, piercing, stabbing etc) a weapon does. Npcs and soon players too can now be resistant or vulnerable to certain types of weapon damage. Thanks Amine!
        If hints are enabled and you try to move while sitting, you are informed that you are sitting.
        You can now press control+g in any multiline edit box or list to go to a line or an item by number! Unfortunately this does not yet work in the inventory as it is not using the new virtual dialog code yet.
        Many of Survive the Wild's sounds now stream from the server instead of being downloaded ahead of time! This was done for many reasons, including the broken/limited sound updater we had before, flexibility and ease on our end of adding new sounds without a user even needing to log off to hear them, virtually unlimited space meaning that the sounds aren't restricted to a large download that gets harder to update each time, and most importantly the music library which, over time, will provide a fun and diverse listening experience as builders utalize it.
        The new object model is finally in place! The object system is so diverse and complicated that it is pretty much impossible to describe it in a changelog entry, but it allows us to add anything from map based objects like doors and elevators to non-player-characters to more invisible things like storms using shared angelscript without even restarting the server!
        Fires were recoded from scratch using this new object system. They currently resemble fires as they used to be, but they are now mutable and may be made much more spectacular at any time.
        Trees were also recoded using the new object system! Unlike fires, trees do not at all resemble how they used to be! You can now run into them, and they now have branches! Furthermore when you cut down a tree, instead of pressing space over and over to pick up 1 wood at a time, instead you now chop up the fallen tree into piles of several wood at a time which you can then pick up!
        You can now hold space while using your camera to view the world around you from it's point of view.
        A new cloud tts system has been added to the game, allowing us to use, for example, Microsoft Azure text to speech voices! These voices are very powerful and support a multitude of parameters, and they speak with almost human-like tone and expression! This system will be used for human npcs.

* administration changes: Significant improvements to game management functionality, along with a reimagined player-staff communication system, make this latest survive the wild update simpler for everyone!
        The new ranks system is complete! We can now promote many more staff members with verrying levels of access and abilities, whether that be building, scripting, the ability to ban, simply the ability to collect garbage and kill spam chars etc. You can see a list of all staff members if you click support and contact, then find staff members. Staff members can even hold multiple ranks when appropriate to insure that each member of the team only gets the permissions they need to use. This should be one huge step in making the administration on Survive the Wild much less stressful!
        All email sent to the address [email protected] is now instantly forwarded to the game for administrators to see, where they can then reply to it also directly from within the game. From now on, anybody who doesn't have and cannot acquire a Survive the Wild account and who wishes to avoid services like discord should send an email to [email protected] for any support requests.
        As promised, though later than intended (I'm sorry about that), the new support ticket system is now in place! To contact an administrator now, click support and contact in the options list, then click support tickets. A ticket consists of an entire chat conversation and a subject, kind of like an email thread. It insures that administrators will no longer miss requests from players as all tickets show in one convenient menu for staff, and since the chat history is in one place for all admins to see, there will be no further miscommunication between a player and multiple admins. Since all admins can see the same ticket list, there is no chance anymore of one admin missing a message! This means that from this point forward, no serious private messages should be sent to administrators, but support tickets should be created instead. Reserve private messages for what they were originally designed for, personal communication.
        The admin warning system was reworked. Now an entire account is warned instead of a character, and the user is typically unable to continue gameplay until they read and understand the warning.
        Internally, started the process of making things way way easier for admins, or other staff. Generally this means converting as many admin commands as possible to a user interface, better logging and backup access to insure that bugged characters can be restored and so on. Added all up, the instibility of stw's admin backend was causing quite the headache and batch of disfunction, and the new systems are much easier and more intuitive to use..
        We have now introduced a new bug report and suggestion system. This system is similar to the support ticket feature, and allows you to send any requests for new features or items, as well as any reports of bugs you might find, to the administrators, in such a way so as to make sure they will never be missed. As a result of using the same chat history system as support tickets, it's easy to send messages back and forth with the game staff, so that your suggestion can be implemented just the way you want it to be.

*in-game changes: Changes to items in the game as well as game mechanics
        There is now a crafting recipe for paper!
        You can now create a wet towel with towel + pot. Wet towels can also be placed on the ground. It takes 5 water from your inventory.
        Hammocks have been recoded. They are now objects, and need to be placed on the ground before you can go to sleep.
        Sleeping pills have also been recoded. The more you take, the faster you'll fall asleep and the more peaceful the sleep will be. However, there is now a chance that you will overdose.
        The 'someone's_wallet' item has been modified. It will no longer give a tiny amount of coins and will always give at least something reasonable.
        Added a new trinket: the stopwatch. Press space to use it, alt space to reset it and the grave key to check it's current time.
        The compass got recoded in shared angelscript. It's far more convenient now.
        Removing water from a skillet is now done with a pot rather than your hand, and is no longer altinteract.
        The knife's description was updated. The sharpness never made sense and it has been changed to a percentage. For the technically inclined, the sharpness variable is still used - it's just been made invisible to help with the confusion that ensued from it.
        You can now get glass by destroying an open beer bottle.
        Slightly increased the amount of metal you get from destroying an open pop can.
        You can now cut apples into slices with your knife - great for sharing!
        New fruits have been added: dates and oranges
        Microwaves have been changed significantly. They now have doors which can be opened and closed, and are also now powered by a solar power system in the village. This means that they won't work in the night, with the upside that you don't have to put in any batteries to cook things
        Added new gift item: someone's dice set.
        The bell has received some updates. You can now stop it's ringing by pressing alt+space on it.
        You can now fill empty water balloons by combining them with a pot. It takes 5 water from your inventory.
        Dice set and someone's dice set must be interacted with an empty hand to open instead of pressing space on them.
        It is no longer possible to flip a coin while submerged in water.
        You can now unjam a bow by combining it with your hand, however keep in mind you will have to add new string as the bow will get a broken string
        Fixed the spelling of items with the words "crinkled", "dull" and "loosly".
        Slightly reorganized the teleporter location list by removing leading article words like "a" and "the" for more appropriate alphabetical order, as well as improving first letter navigation experience.
        Speaking of jamming things, a typo in the rock gun's code was fixed so it now has a 10% chance to jam rather than a 1% chance - you might want to be careful with them!
        You can now pick up the ashes from what remains of fires.
        You will now receive an empty pharmaceutical bottle  after consuming a drug.
        New weapon bottle of hydrofluoric acid with an interesting property. Maybe that empty pharmaceutical bottle has a use after all...
        Crafting a sword handle is slightly faster due to the change in the paddle recipe, however it requires a fully constructed paddle half, not a disfigured one.
        Combining a loosely connected dull axe with string takes 5 string instead of 1 just like with a sword.
        Grenades now have a flyby noise, and their blast radius has been increased to make them more fair. Also, they can now be blocked by shields.
        Most projectiles now include a flyby noise.
        Significant changes have been made to shields! They now behave differently, absorbing only a certain amount of damage in relation with the entire damage output of whatever fate may befall your character. The total amount of damage they can take before falling apart completely is based on a number of factors, and shields of differing quality may also be coming soon.
        The quest list has been reorganized. Now, quests in a series, or "questline", are positioned together.
        Vending machines were rewritten using the new object scripting system as well, and their main visible change is that they now have an actual dialog you use to control them rather than a weird key hooking screen!
        Trash cans now use the new object system, causing them to be actual tiles now rather than something invisible to the map and only seen with the nearby items key. Most importantly though, you can now actually trash your own items into them!
    * bug fixes: Significant work has been put in this update to fix many glitches and potentially harmful bugs - read about them all here.
        Fixed when a player got jailed while in an arena, they'd get stuck in a nonexistent map upon release.
        Fixed a few looping issues with the client that would result in disconnections if one focused on the aliases or audio devices dialogs for too long.
        Fixed the large majority of item spelling mistakes in the game. Apologies translators!
        Fixed the wrong tile sounds being played when a person dropped an item.
        Fixed a bug where you'd lose a bullet if you tried to fire a loaded weapon when conditions were not met, such as being in an idle arena. As always thanks all who reported!
        No more trust/untrust spamming!
        Made the accounts system more stable, there should be far fewer account/character linking errors.
        Sounds now preload properly! This should result in vastly better performance when many sounds play at once, particularly when many duplicates of the same sounds play at the same time.
        Also, the sound system should hopefully no longer randomly cause the game to crash for some users, usually at least a few times for everybody. This took a very long time to track down and was what finally caused me to properly learn a c debugger to a useful extent. Since this crash is extremely random, it's hard to verify whether it's fully resolved. However, all of our beta testers have been using the client for months now with no issues, which is the best test we're going to get pre-update.
        In the audio devices dialog, only enabled input devices now show.
        Completely rewrote the logout handling on the server, fixing loads of random bugs, such as double offline messages in arenas, stuck players etc.
        Now even if you accidentally log in with a version of your character's name typed with the wrong casing, you will be forcibly logged in with the casing used when the character was created.
        Finally, new account and character names are properly restricted to alphanumeric characters (both upper and lowercase), dashes, equals, and underscores. Old accounts or characters are not being automatically renamed as of yet, though we may do this later, or require all such account or character owners to choose a new name for their accounts or characters for free of course.
        Resetting quests now takes clothing items into account (thanks all who reported).
        The uptime counter now finally uses the system clock to determine how long the server has been running, rather than a variable that ticks up every second which could start getting out of sync over time.
        Pressing f12 will no longer recopy a message that is already on your clipboard (thanks Sinbad).
        If your client crashes but your connection on the server has not yet timed out, you can now properly reconnect.
        Fixed a bug with combining skillet and pot where it would take 2 water each time you pressed t, making it impossible to complete the task if you started with less than double the amount until you got more water. This also meant you would lose your water if you were to log out before finishing the task.
        The 3 quests axe build, metal hide, and safe havon are more cheat proof; the loophole allowing you to complete it providing the items were in your inventory has now been closed.
    * NPCs: changes regarding animals and non-player-characters in Survive The Wild (other than, of course, the new NPC system, which was mentioned above)
        The old python_snake animal has been removed. There are different types of snakes now.
        Cats are now welcome as creatures in stw, though they're still just an early prototype for now.
        Though the ability to ride them is still in progress, horses are now prancing around somewhere in the game.
        There are also dogs now, though of a generic breed. We will add specific dog breeds as sound design allows.
    * arenas: Changes related to pk arenas, including new additions to the ever-growing selection this update.
        The archery glade arena has been added. It allows you to practice using a bow, and also includes an arrow gun, with a small amount of metal arrows, to keep things interesting.
        battle through the hills, a large-scale survival-style arena in which you craft your weapons to fight other players in a very interesting environment, has joined the other arenas in the game.
        The sword fight arena has been added to the game, for those who like the good old fashioned way of fighting.
        New arena: laser tag; an arena mainly designed to help you practice tracking items with the all new tracking system, fire lasers at your opponents in this battle of strategy in order to win the match.
        Since bows can now jam, we've modified the fire pit fight arena to have two of them, instead of just one.
        The arena list has been reorganized to remove article words like "the". This makes the first-letter navigation system more useful while browsing relevant menus.
    *New in September/October 2021: These are the changes that were reverted only a couple of short months after this update's release in late October. Since many players have joined after these changes got reverted though, it seems very prudent to point them out here instead of below so that you fully know what to expect!
        Adjusted the time it takes to adjust the music and master volume, it is now much faster!
        There is now a tile radar! Press control+r to toggle it. When it's on, you will hear a little beep indicating when a space in front of you, to the left, or to the right is clear of walls. If there is a wall within 10 tiles of you and a direction though, you'll hear the wall at that position!
        The BNB has received some attention!
        Travelpoints are being removed! The game now consists of one giant map, where you can walk from place to place without going through travelpoints or pressing shift+enter!
        Now that travelpoints are gone, we need a way to navigate between many maps. This is done by using the blackscreengaming like table map, accessed by pressing control+m in the game. This map shows unlocked locations. You can press enter to track one, space to see it's description, or c to check your coordinates on the grid.
        Teleporters, and the game in general, now requires areas to be unlocked. You can unlock a general area to check it, or a teleport point which will allow you to teleport to that location forever once it's been unlocked. In both cases, you get rewards.
        If you walk forward, but a tile is above or below you at that position, you will automatically climb to that tile! This means that we have a slope system. The game can automatically walk you up or down hills or slopes, without needing to use page up or down. You can find a few examples throughout the game, such as a doon in the desert, or the slope that leads up to the maps to the west of the desert wasteland.
        The hospital has had it's final change in terms of the alarm sound. I've heard everyone's complaints about it over the years, what you hear in the hospital is my response, and it's final.
        Sounds now occlude! Though the algorithm is not perfect yet, if a sound goes behind a wall, it disappears.
        We can now create new surfaces and customise them with many different values. An example is in the thick forest to the north of the camp ground.
        The underwater system has now been recoded! It now has depth, and you can dive into water and actually plunge under. Sounds properly muffle underwater as well.
        There is now a checkbox in the options menu that allows you to load sounds from memory.

New on Jan 21st-23rd 2022
    *This update does not undo the reversion! Instead code was written for both the current codebase and this older one at the same time during it's development. Hope to spend more time today (when this was released) doing more lag fixes.
    The bug with the neutralizer is finally fixed! Going offline and online no longer resets the timer.
    Clothing items now properly get removed upon death, thus appearing in your corpse, while insuring that paid clothing items remain in tact!
    Added robust saving to the accounts database, the goal is that there should be no more crazy account db crashes causing player inconvenience and throwing off all our plans 6 different ways from Sunday!
    Administrators can now very easily leave messages for an entire account even if all characters on that account were offline, before they could only leave messages for a single character. Furthermore, all messages an administrator leaves in this way are now logged to the account history so they are not forgotten!
    The radio is now using code from the new codebase, hopefully this makes it less laggy!
    Attempted to fix this bug where fall distance wouldn't get reset, leading to unfair death or dfc loss!
    Fixed the bug where conversations would all reset if the server restarted or if a character goes offline! The buffers and conversations now both properly clear when a new character is logged into.
    There is now an option in the character and account menu to set an account codeword. This is a verification phrase that, should you ever lose access to your account, you can give to an administrator so that they can verify the account's ownership. This should not be something secure like a password, but just something only you would remember. This is to reduce any cases of people losing access to their account's email address, thus requiring potentially intensive verification. Never give this to your friends, and only give it to an administrator if absolutely required! You don't need to set a codeword, but it is recommended encase something ever goes wrong!
    Due to very popular suggestion, and also thus to reduce any possible cases where players transfer paid items from character to character, credits are now part of the account instead of the character. All stw_credit items have been moved to a variable in your account automatically and can be spent as normal, accept that now any character on your account can spend any credits from all characters!
    Because was modifying the store, fixed the text on that page a little removing the outdated commands from it, and as a formality, you must now agree to the payment disclaimer before you make a purchase.
    In the character and account menu, there is now a copy account username option which allows you to recover your username more easily if you've forgotten it, particularly since in the store, you must now use an account username to purchase credits, and if you want to purchase credits for someone else, your account username, rather than that of your current character, should be given.
    Since I was modifying this area of code anyway and because it was a good suggestion (thanks Dorian and probably others), The points and credits menu items have been modified to include the amount of an item that you can currently afford.
    As an attempt to increase communication with players as well as just for convenience, there is now a recent anouncements function! Click View recent anouncements in the main menu, then you can select any anouncement in that list to view it's full text! Some of these may or will go way back in the future, so always use the message of the day and the anouncement posted date to figure out what's relevant and what's just history!
    Tabbing to a text field that contains a lot of text will now only read the current line, and made text fields a tiny bit faster, this after I noticed the lag after adding the anouncements function.
    In audio form, disabled the right alt key for accessing elements by shortcut as long as you are focused in a text field, apparently this was causing problems for some people who needed to type special characters.
    If you die with a bungalow shelter in your inventory, you will now keep it as it is an exclusively paid item. To those wondering yes we will find some way to fairly balance these later so that they are worth the price, somewhat possible to destroy and still fun.
    Generally ported some code from the current codebase to the active reverted one, I hope to do more of this today to decrease lag further.
    Drinking water from pots and bottles is now 5 times more effective! Both now take 5 water from the inventory and your thirst will go down 5 times as much!
    *Keep an eye out for massive changes to the administration ranking system in the next week, which have already been started on, and which were mentioned in detail in the recent administration message anouncement.

allow me to speak more,
catch me on Twitter
or, Mastodon

2023-05-15 01:58:50

@57: can you post it here as well? what did you do to make it work? I want to try playing it, but tolk is giving me issues too
@developer: since we're no longer limited by bgt, I'm beginning to wonder, why not make the engine itself be able to run on linux and maybe mac as well? I mean, not a small percentage of people on here have a mac computer, linux vm, a chromebook which can run linux and android but not windows and they want to play the game still, hell, some of us including self use a linux distro as our daily driver. I know it could potentially be hard as hell in the beginning, but probably not as much if the engine is coded following good oop practices and design patterns, however, if it's done once, other games based on the engine, if such were to ever exist, would work on these platforms no problem. I'm not sure if steam audio works on linux or mac, but if it doesn't, switching to synthizer overall improves performance, 3d emersion quality, you get awesome effectsand even automation, probably less laggy and choppy sound, plus that works on all three platforms, so why not? As a sidenote, with all the shady stuff ms is pulling nowadays, from requiring ms account sign in with windows 11, to the infectious popups they're putting in edge when you're trying to download compeating browsers, or when on google's site telling you to use bing instead, to more and more of the win11 desktop becoming some kind of electron but with edge instead of chromium, to including the amazon store instead of playstore for the android subsystem thing, why are we trying to tie ourselves to windows even more? why make it worse for those of us who want to escape from what ms are doing before it's metaphorically too late? more and more sighted people are beginning to hate windows, and move to some kind of linux or even mac OS instead, hell, the steamdeck is only the beginning, more such things will follow. I see producers of equipment already advertising linux support on their product page in anticipation of what's coming, linux just can't easily be ignored anymore. Furthermore, increasingly more newly released games, aka hogwards legacy, factorio and others, are becoming steamdeck certified from day 1, there surely must be something behind it. So yeah, why are we continuing to choose to be so severely tied to windows still? If it's revenew issues, the initial game is free anyway, plus the things one buys doesn't have to be customised on a per-platform basis, thank angelscript and whatever other mechanisms are at play there, so there wouldn't be a loss in revenew if that's done, even more, the playerbase of the game would increase with those mac, chromebook and native linux users joining the fun, so I don't think there are valid concerns in that department anymore. Distribution issues, no longer a problem, release it via flatpak on flathub and everyone on linux would get it, release it as appimage on your website and, like with the previous option,everyone would be able to run it regardless of distribution. For mac, putting the thing on the appstore or just hosting the dmg file should be enough, I think, though I dk anything about mac, so I might be wrong there.

2023-05-15 03:56:02

He's not using Synthizer because, at the time, I didn't support custom effects. Mind you I still don't support custom effects, but it's less unlikely to happen than in the past by quite a bit.  I don't know if he ever actually used that, but we talked about Synthizer once some time ago and he said that was super important to him.  His real obstacle is that I believe he's using C++ and I'm moving to Rust.

But in general (and what inspired me to post) is that you all are like let's support Linux, but even doing something as simple as Synthizer is annoying as fuck because you have to get all the environments and test in all the environments and then someone is like I have a bug only on this distro of Linux and you have to play what-is-your-weird-config and whatever.  Those of us who don't really bother with Linux (and I will be one of them with ammo) aren't being dicks, we're going I have so many hours in the day and have to cut something, and the easiest thing to cut is Linux.  Windows and Mac provide stable, reasonably robust API targets with easily understood configurations.  It's not about whether it compiles, it's about turning into people's tech support where you get to play is it my software or their machine at fault today.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2023-05-15 04:36:50

For those who don't know, the server is down for a few days so that the huge volume of bug reports received can be cut down. Players discovered a lot of loose ends--which is good, that's what the beta is for--and so they are getting tied up before the public beta comes back online for more testing.

@68: SteamAudio is supported on Mac and Linux. It includes 3d emersion as well--that is kind of the point of the library--and effects are provided via Bass.

The reason behind big games being Steam Deck certified is because people own the Steam Deck. I don't know how many people are switching away from Windows to be honest, I guess people with low-spec machines maybe. I'm still happy with it personally.

2023-05-15 05:33:27

Here's the message you'll see when connecting:

We want to thank everyone for submitting invaluable bug reports. At this point, there are a total of 228 unresolved bug reports. The entire staff team needs some time to resolve some of these bugs before new ones continue to flow in, and we need a more stable environment to do so. As such, this server will automatically unlock for everybody once the number of unresolved bug reports (which will update every time you see this message) reaches 125 or less. Thank you for your understanding and we look forward to seeing you all soon!

2023-05-15 11:52:05

well, fine, at least I tryed, luckily there's wine and if the game isn't too stubborn, *points to most audiogames*, things should be alright, even more so if you don't inforce usage of tolk or other such thing, that's a damn hard thing to make work under wine at the moment.
@camlorn: if that was the case, there wouldn't be any more sighted games which are native linux, but since there are and continue to be, I guess that issue is not so prevalent? Also, things are rapidly advancing on linux nowadays, for example we got flatpaks, more granular access to resources which works across desktops and wayland compositors, I'm talking about xdg desktop portals, there's pipewire which truely works in an awesome way now, especially if you target it natively, its api is more like jack and it can go all the way to realtime priority on some audio threads if required, but you're using miniaudio so I dk if you have to wory about that one. About the it works on my machine thing, that's why automated tests are a thing, also, you eliminate distro artefacts and stuff by just not packaging for a specific distro, in stead, just use flatpaks or appimages, problem solved for the most part, especially if you're using flatpaks and doing so with the proper extensions and such, I can help in that regard if it comes to that. For example, just look at system fault, I ran it on like, all the baseline distros I know of, including slackware, then some derivations of the baseline ones, aka ubuntu, mint, etc, worked mostly fine too. The only issue someone reported was solely because of appimages not containerising properly, that's why I recommend flatpaks nowadays, but that bug was rare enough I think most people won't incounter it. If you don't want to support linux, fine, whatever, if the game is interesting enough, I'll just run it through wine, unless it's terribly stubborn and doesn't want to cooperate, but nowadays you'd have to do something probably intentionally, especially in audiogames land, for us to not be able to run it in wine.

2023-05-15 13:20:11

according to the changelog: Resetting quests now takes clothing items into account (thanks all who reported).

I asked this before but got no answer, can someone please explain to me how to reset quests? i'd like to start all over again.

bokura no daibouken 2 by yukionozawa. installer:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/897 … _setup.exe
bokura no daiboukenn 3 by yukionozawa. download page:
http://www.nyanchangames.com/softs/nn3.html

2023-05-15 14:37:14 (edited by Tristan04 2023-05-15 22:30:04)

@71, We're already down to 143 unresolved bugs. I reckon this thing will be up and running again pretty soon.

2023-05-15 15:35:06

@73, you need to complete  certain quests in order to be able to reset your quests. if you have the large pretty purl and the large disk you can combine them to reset your quests.

allow me to speak more,
catch me on Twitter
or, Mastodon