2021-12-23 21:16:48

Hello,

I have a question about voiceover sounds on the mac. Does anyone like the positional audio? I find that it's a bit inconsistent, especially when trying to navigate things where one item might be near the left and another would be near the right. It will play the sound for an item at the wrong position when switching sides sometimes, or even just randomly change the position of something like the boundary sound or the click for entering passwords and such when you make it play them multiple times. Can anyone else give thoughts on this?

2021-12-23 22:33:11 (edited by Chris 2021-12-23 22:34:28)

I haven't noticed it, but maybe that's because the feature never worked as intended? I miss the reverb that was taken away with I believe Yosemite. Apple needs to take an entire year to do nothing but thoroughly test VoiceOver from all angles and fix it, because compared to NVDA, it's a rough beta. This is particularly sad when an open source project is doing much better than a company with the resources Apple has. Safari busy, busy, busy, or Safari not responding, not responding, not responding is unacceptable in 2021! That's just the first issue that comes to mind, there are many more, including the awful experience in Apple Books!

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2021-12-23 22:38:00

you know they’re never gonna do that right? But  a person can dream

2021-12-23 23:06:36

One can indeed dream. I'm sad more than anything else, because I like the Mac, and VoiceOver was pretty good in the Snow Leopard days.

2021-12-23 23:19:15

Positional audio kind of works, but it takes a very long time for the sound to travel to where it's positioned on the screen. You can see what I mean by doing something like going to the dock, then using the trackpad commander put your finger on the very left then immediately touch something on the very right and slide back and forth a bit and you should hear the sound slowly move. You can also see it if you sit on a progress bar or something that changes value.

One can hope this will eventually be improved or maybe even come to iOS if Apple's all about spacial audio now... One can dream right?

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2021-12-23 23:20:44

it’s the only kind of computer I know that is small and made of aluminum. I like the texture and the size. If the M1 could actually run other operating systems I would have gotten it and installed Linux

2021-12-24 14:16:26

buying mac and installing linux?
Are you serious?
ehh, it is'nt good idea.

meow meow.

2021-12-24 17:38:39

if a dualboot can be made, then I think it'd be a good investment indeed...kinda, just to have both operating systems on the same comp, plus the m1 mac is very powerful as we all know. Anyway, indeed linux can be run on m1 macs, however only in virtual machines, through something called UTM, it also works on ios.
https://www.howtogeek.com/767684/how-to … e-silicon/

2021-12-24 19:41:57 (edited by Chris 2021-12-24 19:43:28)

You're restricted to virtual machines for now. Hopefully this will change in the future. A big reason why I'm put off by M1 is because of the macOS lock-in. VoiceOver needs a lot of attention, plain and simple. The Apple apologists are doing nothing to improve the situation by pretending it's not true and criticizing anyone who dares to blaspheme the great Apple and VoiceOver. I pay the same as anyone else for these products, I expect the same level of quality as I get from my iPhone.

2021-12-24 20:00:10

and that's what everybody keeps around, minding me to buy a mac book computer, no, not happening.