2021-12-20 16:47:44

hello guys!)
so, as the subject says, i need to mark cards, but i'm not interested in some usual ways like writing Braile on them.
i need marks that can probably be recognized with a smartphone. like, you have an app, and you load card photos into this app. and then you point your camera at a card, and the app tells you which photo is closest to the card you point at. may be you can add textual description to a photo, it's not so important. the thing is, your phone tells you which photo is the closest. thing you guys got it.
may be you know such apps for iOS, i'll realy appreciate you tell me about it smile
also, may be you can hellp me find other ways of marking cards.
but! the most important thing: cards must stay untouched. so, no braile on them, no glue, nothing sticky at all. right now i can think only about card sleeves, may be i should write braile on them and then place cards inside. but i'll be glad to read what you guys think about it. may be you have your own ways i have never thought of!)
the next objective will be marking tiles and boards! big_smile

2021-12-20 17:34:03

You're probably not going to find an app.  As far as I know the technology for that doesn't exist period.  In general you want to buy the game yourself and modify it.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2021-12-20 18:23:13

right, or in my case I have some special editions of a few games I own and their is no way I am going to be moding them as it will decrease it's value later on if I decide to sell it then

2021-12-20 18:31:09 (edited by darrthscorrp 2021-12-20 18:33:09)

@2, the technology does exist, and it's called neural network)) but i doupt such an app exists...
yeah, you're right, i've modified enough board games like that. now i want to find a way to modify games without spoiling game elements... that's the problem.
@3, yeah, exactly! that's one of the cases you want to leave cards as they are.

2021-12-20 19:47:06

The problem I've found with card sleeves is it makes it harder to shuffle a deck. It also makes it harder to move through your hand quickly. I have 2 games Exploding Kittens and Cards Against Humanity with card sleeves on them and I wish I just put the lable on the card. Unless you brought some rare game or you are talking about like rare Pokemon cards or something like that you mine as well just Braille the cards. You could always sell them to other blind gamers if you want to.

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2021-12-20 20:16:02

@4
I know about neural nets.  Everyone treats them like magic but they are not yet at the point of being able to do this flawlessly without you having to put something on the card like a barcode.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2021-12-21 04:41:53

What about Envision AI? Don't they have a thing that lets you teach it custom objects?

2021-12-21 15:53:08

@6
noone talks about flawless recognition, but i think they are able to do that with acceptable accuracy.
@7
oh, that's a great idea, i'll try it out! but... i have some doupts Envision can also recognize pictures on cards by using object recognition... it will just tell me something like "a piece of paper" smile but i'm not sure

2021-12-21 17:19:39 (edited by UltraLeetJ 2021-12-21 17:20:01)

using a phone camera accurately is kinda hard if you have not used it before, so I really wish you luck, probably barcodes or unique nfc chips are the best and most straightforward way besides... you know, the loathsome abominable braille.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2021-12-22 13:49:36

Hey everyone!

Interestingly enough, somebody actually did try to tackle the issue in the way described by the OP. There is an Icelandic developer trying to come up with a solution that learns the roundabout appearance of game cards and gives detailed instructions on their properties. Unfortunately, there is no website for the project as of yet but there is an interview in the EBU Access Cast
https://ebuaccesscast.libsyn.com/ebu-access-cast-34
in the show notes you will find the dev's email, the list of currently adapted games (unfortunately the PDF is not really accessible but somewhat readable at least) and of course the whole interview both in the podcast and transcribed if you just wanna read faster with your TTS of choice. The advantage of listening to the audio is the small demo of how the app works.

I think it could pay off letting him know about this forum so that he could introduce his idea to the community and have a discussion started.

Hope this helps

2021-12-22 17:26:18

very interesting interview. I still believe there is nothing that puts us on the same page so to speak faster than uniquely set of tactile markings, be it braille or 3d pimples, but this seems really promising.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…