2021-12-17 10:48:03

Hey all!

I want to make music.
Since I don’t have a midi keyboard yet, I would try to make music on my computer keyboard for now.
Can you tell me a program that makes this possible and possibly free to use?

2021-12-17 10:50:17

Hi,
Well, first we must see what computer keyboard you have. I would recommend investing in an entry level mechanical keyboard. See n-key rollover.
I would also recommend reaper for this. If you want a free option, try qws, though reaper will be about a quadrillion times faster.

2021-12-17 14:34:28

Since monday, I'm having the possibility to work with a midi keyboard. That's way faster and if you buy for example one made by Native Instruments, you get tons of synths, basses, and many other things for free. However, I had this exact problem before and here are two things I did.
Note that both of them are going to require you to have a lot of patience, and none of these will give you the best experience, but I still recommend you to get a midi keyboard you are seriously considering to go deeper into music making.

1. Possibly the worst one, your choice of a sound editor and your choice of instruments.
When I was interested in music making for the first time, I seriously used this method. I set my sound editor's input, at the time it was Audacity, to windows wasapi, and the output to my headphones and there you go. I recorded everything using the soundcard in my laptop. Of course I couldn't equalize this way, I couldn't even separate tracks because at the end it was only one huge track. I can show this method to you in action, but it isn't the best, I warned you.

2. Probably the better one, using reaper and VSTs of your choice.
After I got enough of the first method, because it was too much of a hassle for me, I sterted to do this. The disadvantage of this one is that your laptop is too small for producing anything, so either you must think a lot before recording or your hearing must be very good to be able to separate everything and record all the parts in a different track. It's horrible if you don't have the required patience. And for this you must find a lot of VSTs, there are a lot of free ones on the internet though, I also need them because of my midi keyboard so I need to do the same.

If you'd like, reach out to me in private, and I'll try to do my best to help.

2021-12-18 01:14:49

There's this thing. No idea if it's accessible, and I'm not sure it has a demo, but hey, it's an option.

https://keymusician.com/

2021-12-21 23:28:40

There's also a neat little synth that runs natively in your web browser. You'll find others, but this is the one I was personally refering to.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (@Minionslayer0). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Mastodon at @Minionslayer.

2021-12-22 02:44:04

QWS (Quick Windows Sequencer) is free and has this feature.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2021-12-22 14:50:59

However you will probably want to configure your own MIDI devices since the default (Microsoft GS Wavetable) will not provide an optimal experience.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (@Minionslayer0). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Mastodon at @Minionslayer.