2021-12-14 18:39:54

I know we've been able to get around using something like this without working speech since ever, but just curious if a pocket FM radio that has speech readouts for station frequencies exists? It would be nice to navigate among stations and not guess where in the list I am.

Yes, I know there are apps for this. I'm specifically looking for a dedicated unit.

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?

2021-12-14 20:08:57

I know of an HD Radio that can do this, let me find it. Looked on Amazon but I haven't had any luck. I know my friend knows the model for sure though.

-----
Matthew's Horse Needs Your Support!
Discord: misterkrabs69

2021-12-15 17:24:06

I think that the HD radio in question is no longer being sold, but don't quote me on that. Let's see my Kenwood th-d74a has the voice readout, but I am quite sure you are not in the market for a transceiver that is on the amature radio bands. Besides, I don't think that one is no longer being sold either. Let me see, I have the ICom ICR30 that will read out the frequency, but I think that is more reciever you really want. As for that, I don't think you want to pay over $600. Hmmmm... Maybe you might want to take a look at this radio.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2021-12-15 17:28:43

A lot of FM radio units are not really being sold anymore due to newer technology usage, but I bet you could find a CD player or other unit that has a built-in FM radio on it.

-----
YouTube
GitHub
Discord: @tunmi13#1880

2021-12-15 19:17:07

There is also a channel that features a lot of reviews of different radios.
https://www.youtube.com/c/todderbert/videos
Although they don't talk specifically about their accessibility, they are quite ˇthorough so you can get the idea of how they can be used for the blind.

2021-12-16 06:15:42

AudioVox and Insignia both make pocket sized rechargeable FM HD radios sold in the US. They do not have speech, but have great reception.

2021-12-18 14:10:03

As for the prd17 linked here, it really isn't bad when it comes to reception or sensitivity. A bit of a drawback to this radio is the way it speeks radio station frequencies. It announces every, station, digit, by, digit. This radio is really meant to be used on a desk or counter, so if you want something more portable, the Sangean HDR14 isn't difficult to use at all. You could also get yourself an iPod Nano if you prefer that.

warning: this post is about to end, press h, or don't, I don't mind.

2021-12-18 14:28:14 (edited by leibylucw 2021-12-19 04:32:42)

Thanks all for the responses. Does the HDR-14 have speech? I didn't see anything about it from Google searching. It looks like a pretty nifty radio with the option for a lot of presets.
Maybe I'm also attacking this from the wrong angle - instead of worrying about speech readouts, has anyone developed techniques to get around navigating through the different stations and doing so without speech? In other words, if I want to get to 103.6, I have no idea which station I am tuned into and therefore won't know how many frequencies to navigate to get to 103.6. I guess you could get around this by programming some presets that are equidistant from each other and just arrowing up and down through the neighboring frequencies, counting the exact number you need to get to your target station. Idk, I wasn't really into this stuff back when it was the only solution to FM listening.

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?

2021-12-18 20:35:38

I don't know of any receiver that has speech, but I can recommend something that have a good reception and is cheap.
You'll probably only find speech in players for the blind or in the Sansa clip or something else which supports Rockbox installation, but these receivers... HM all of them which i saw was bad.
You can buy a receiver which allows you to enter specified frequency which you want.
I learned scale from 87,5 to 108,0MHZ and I can always cound where I am if I know the starting frequency.

Mao!
--
TD programs website available under new address.
https://tdprograms.ovh/

2021-12-18 23:44:31

Hi.
A bit off topic but I saw the Ipod Nano mensioned, does it have speech? If not how do you navigate the menus?

2021-12-19 00:25:19

Another way you could enter stations is with a keypad on some receivers. I own the Tecsun PL-880 and it has a keypad where you can enter the frequency directly. It doesn't speak, but that isn't necessary, at least for station navigation. There are other, smaller radios in the Tecsun line such as the PL-390 that also have keypads. If memory serves, the PL-390 isn't that expensive. The PL-880 is portable but too big to fit in a pocket. It costs around $160.

2021-12-19 02:34:54

I personally own the ccrane skywave SSB radio and found that it is useable even though it does not have speech output. It has lots of presets for what it is. Also has direct frequency input. Add in the fact that it does the FM, am shortwave, and air band, I find it to be a pretty good radio over all. That is when you take into account the price and all. It takes a bit of time to learn the buttens, but once the buttens are learned, it is a pretty easy radio to use.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2021-12-19 03:21:46

Hi.
Something to know about radio is that FM stations range between 87.5 and 107.9MHZ. If you have a radio with physical buttons, pressing the up or down buttons will move you one frequency at a time. So if you're at 87.5, pressing the up botton will move you to 87.6, 87.7, 87.8, and so on until you reach 107.9. Once you get to 107.9, pressing up would bring you back to 87.5.

2021-12-19 03:27:54

I don’t know if this is the right topic but I thought I would ask since it’s sort of related.
Are there any accessible shortwave radios?

2021-12-20 17:35:06

@13 Frequency stepping you are talking about is not the same from radio to radio. Here in the US, Stations are set are least 200 KHZ. This means that you get 87.5, 87.7, 87.9, 88.1, 88.3 and ETC. Some radios allow you to choose how big of a step you want to take. Of course, Stations on AM is different seeing that they are at least 10 KHZ apart. @14 Shortwave radios, define accessible. The CCrane one I linked to earlyer in the topic will do shortwave. It of course is usuable if you do not mind learning the butten layout, but it has no speech output. Above this, it is a question how much you really want to spend. ICom ICR30 will recieve shortwave and has speech readout for the frequencys, but the menus on said radio is not read allow and it can be quit a bit more than what you are looking for. If you do not mind getting into amature radio, some kenwood moddals can be modified for speech output and most likely will give you good shortwave reception if you do not mind installing an antenna. Another option Could be a SDR radio with the right software installed on your computer. It all depends on what you want there.

DropBox Referral