2021-05-29 20:20:32

Alright, so

I'm trying to set up a Discourse dev instance. Hence it going in this room

I've followed their instructions up until it comes to Postgres sql

And...that's where it falls down. Now. Before you all say oh move to Arch, that's not possible since I've a lot of stuff on this computer I'm not wanting to lose. My issue is postgressql refuses to connect on Ubuntu. I know it can be set up correctly since a lot of other people have had postgresql working fine

I'm using the script from Discourse's guide found here:

https://meta.discourse.org/t/beginners- … ment/14727

Which is setting up a dev instance, because I'm trying to help the Discourse folks out.

So. What am I,or more accurately, is the script doing wrong. Or did I overlook some post install stuff before moving onto the next sectoin of that once the script is run?

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2021-05-29 20:45:25

Okay, so it appears that the script doesn't actually configure postgresql at all. It just installs the packages. Which is fine and dandy, but its not actually configured for anything. So you need to configure postgresql roles and such before you can use postgres. When does everything fall apart?

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2021-05-29 21:30:09

That was the thing that was missing. Thanks, now I got a shiny dev instance up and going. Now...to learn Discourse and the tricks of the admin panel and all that fun stuff

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers