2021-05-21 01:08:54

I want to be a game developer for the Talking DOS Box emulator and I also need help with finding the right programming language for text based games. Free books, tutorials, guides etc… please. I love gaming and I want to give back to the community as a developer.
Please help and be patient with me since I have never programmed before. Thanks in advanced for any help and advice.

2021-05-21 01:12:51

Er... Why?

DOSBox isn't used for modern gaming, just to run old games like PCS and Kitchensinc.

2021-05-21 01:44:32 (edited by magurp244 2021-05-21 02:47:02)

Hm, an unusual choice of platform. As for languages, as previously mentioned Assembler, C, or Basic were primarily used for the DOS platform, although there's others like Cobol and Fortan. Each of those languages has their particular advantages and disadvantages, but I would recommend given your level of experience to start with something like [Free Basic], with their documentation and resources [here]. Of course, you may want to challenge yourself with [Assembler], C or others if you choose.

I should point out that Assembler, C, Fortran, Cobol, etc. while difficult conceptually, can be very powerful and do have some uses in the wider programming community, whilst Basic is largely depreciated. This doesn't mean you won't learn anything or that its a wasted effort, but it might be a better idea to position yourself for future growth by starting with a language like Python. Regardless, if you need any assistance with your choice of language, we'll help as best we can.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2021-05-21 08:03:35

why are you interested in targetting DOS as your platform? Do you assume developing games for it is easier since the games are relatively simple compared to modern mainstream games? Because the opposite is true. Developing a game for a retro platform like that is much harder than just developing a text game or what have you for a modern platform like Win10.
Developing for retro platforms is something a very experienced developer might do as a hobby for sentimental value or to challenge themselves, specifically since it is harder.
If you just want to make DOS style games, then targetting Win10 will be far more approachable for a complete beginner like yourself.

2021-05-21 12:12:18

Dude, just learn python and develop terminal apps. More people will use it anyways.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2021-05-21 22:41:48

If you use FreeBASIC you can also compile Linux, MacOS and Windows binaries.
Of course, if you create IF with TADS or something that compiles to the Z-Machine you can create DOS executables with MakeTRX and JZexe, respectively, and the games will be cross-platform.

#FreeTheCheese
"The most deadly poison of our times is indifference. And this happens, although the praise of God should know no limits. Let us strive, therefore, to praise Him to the greatest extent of our powers." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

2021-05-21 23:25:11

I wouldn't go freebasic, I'd go C.  Freebasic is C with a weird syntax, in the same way Purebasic is.  Source: Freebasic was my basic variant of choice back when I didn't know enough to realize I was coding in C with a weird syntax or that maybe I shouldn't code in C.  You might as well use the mainstream option here, if you're really going to try to do this.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2021-05-22 02:14:29 (edited by Ethin 2021-05-22 02:17:34)

Writing a game for DOS will not be simple. Your going to have to learn a lot of things about the x86 architecture, particularly if you decide to write it in assembly.
If your going to do this, I'd strongly read this Wikipedia article. Trust me, though, this will not be easy, and its something I'd strongly discourage. DOS was not an operating system that had a newbie-friendly API, and code was written by masters of the field back then, and over 80 percent of the time it was written in assembly. I suppose you could get away with GWBasic, but...

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github