2021-04-16 11:37:01

Hello, I hope you are doing well and healthy.
Since past 5 years or so, flying things, be it biological or technological, really fascinated me. But now, I’m in a point that I’m seriously thinking of buying me one of those RC helicopters or quads without cameras.
I would learn them in a controlled environment indoor to learn how to fly them, then I would try outdoor.
I understand that we are limited as to how and where we would fly them, especially in an unknown environment, so my real question is, can we fly them at all? Can we master flying them in a known place? Can we (eventually) control them as well as a sited person?
Thank you!

2021-04-16 12:23:30

I suppose that if there is no tree in that place and you count the time it took to go ahead, if you count how far you pulled it, if you remember how long it takes to turn around to turn it back... or well, there always has to be someone there to see if the car/helicopter gets stuck somewhere. you can be lucky and not break it... but bad luck and for using it without anyone else, you can do shit

2021-04-16 15:06:17

I can fly micros, I do it indoors though.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2021-04-16 15:21:28

hello GrannyCheeseWheel.
this is making me hopeful. I have two questions if you don't mind.
1. when hovering, can you tell whether it's tilting to one side or it's strait? if yes, how, and is it really necessary to correct it often when flying?
2. can you tell which direction it's facing? what is your method.
thank you!

2021-04-16 15:49:41

Yes, you have some drift, it will always do this. You can correct it by using the trim buttons or dial on your transmitter. How to tell which way it's facing, hmm, it just sounds a bit different. Also when it's facing you, the controls will be reversed so just go slowly and see where it goes, then turn and speed up.

Try not to let it hit the ceiling. If you do, bring the left stick throttle to off and let it drop. You can't unstick yourself with the blades turning. See if you can find one that has a guard around the propellers. The one I had used a plastic guard that went the whole way around the upper part of the quadcopter, snapping on at each arm.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2021-04-16 15:51:49

I'd really want to try one of these things. Just as long as you know where things are in the room I assume you could probably do it without any vision.

-----
Matthew's Horse Needs Your Support!
Discord: misterkrabs69

2021-04-16 16:24:22

hello,
GrannyCheeseWheel, thank you for your explanation.
I never tried any kinds of RC helicopters, and from what some of my friends are telling me, it requires some quick reactions if you don't want it to hit the walls and such.
I'm going to see if I could borrow one from someone, try to learn a little on that, and then buy one of my own.
and guise, what about those big professional ones that can fly upside down if you know how. big_smile
does controlling them have any big differences with the small ones?

2021-05-25 19:18:31

It depends on how much vision you've got.
I've been flying a lot of both helicopters and quads, but I have a tiny part of vision left, too. I mostly fly helicopters indoors, but that's just because I've only had those really small ones that crash if you sneez on them. Haha. With that said, however, I've flown a lot of quads outside too, so here's some tips.
1: Get a helicopter or quad with altitude hold. This really helps a lot. This means that when you  releace the altitude stick (usually the left joystick on your controller) the stick will go back to the center and your helicopter or quad will just sit there at the hight you left it at. So instead of having to controll the speed of the motors by making small ajustments all the time, you simply push down on the stick if you wanna go down, and up if you wanna go up.
2: Fly in a wide open area! Seriously, I can't stress this enough! I've lost 4 or 5 quads just because I've crashed into trees or pols and such. The quad touches the top of a tree or something, it doesn't have to be that hard but because the props are spinning so fast, it's knocked completely off course. And now you're standing there, listening to your quad hurtling down the street and over a rooftop and... It's gone. So don't fly in your garden, where there's trees and bushes  and houses around you. Fly at a football feeld or something, or some other wide open area. Also, flying in a big open area is better because you have much more freedom, and you can have a lot more fun! And that brings me to...
3: If you can, get a quad with an emergency stop button. It really helps in situations like the one above, or if you get it stuck somewhere. Usually you'll only have to hold it in for a couple of seconds.
4: If you have enough vision for it, get a quad or helicopter with lights. I used to go outside with my first quad to practise in the dark, so I could see the lights on it. One light on each leg of the quad. Two green lights on the back legs, and two red lights at the front. That really helped with orientation. Having a light at the front of your helicopter can also help with knowing what way it's facing, if you don't have enough vision to tell without lights.
I was going to write out more tips, but I had to go for a while and when I came back I had forgotten them. Haha.
Anyways, hope this helps.
Happy flying!

2021-05-25 19:21:52

If you have money to burn, you could invest in one of the DJI pro drones and they have collision avoidance, but not being able to afford one myself I couldn't tell you how good it is, and tbh I wouldn't dare testing in doors just in case.

Though our eyes may fail, our ears prevail!
User Karma, every little helps

2021-05-26 05:52:25

Hey there!
First of all, I am not really a fanatic of flying things, at all. I am just curious about any kind of technologies.
That said, I tried flying a couple of drones of a friend of mine, and, as a totally blind user, I would say:
1. Expect a poor experience: you would need a wide space in order to avoid collisions, and basically you can make it fly from the left to the right and back. Nothing else. In my case, not very fun after 15 minutes.
2. You will need sighted help all the time. Landing is not that easy, and you will need real time assistance. It's not a video game, here, some unexpected wind could change your drone's heading in unpredictable ways, and cause accidents. Expensive accidents smile
3. Also, you can hurt somebody.
So, if you can, try flying a friend's drone. Perhaps you can satisfy your curiosity with a couple of sesions before getting bored of the thing, plus you will test your real friendship, since only a real friend would let their blind colleague fly a thing so expensive tongue

2021-05-26 11:08:10

hello,
Tristan04, thanks for your explanation and tips. although I have not enough vision to help me, I managed to fly and not crash, a micro. I can't yet control it well though. I tried indoor, but an out door open field will be good I believe specially if I want to train my self to locate it by ear.
TheBlindSaiyan, we need special authorization to fly a camera drone here, and if we didn't, although I like flying things, an expensive, flying, video camera with ability to, track, film in slow motion, orbit an object and much more, is not for me to use just it's collision avoidance system. big_smile.
Alan, thank you also for your explanations. I wouldn't believe you before I tried my self, but I do now. I can see I'm not as helpless in controlling them as I thought I'd be, but it wouldn't be that fun. specially when I'm dyeing of stress before, and some times, after I moved it. haha. I will try some more, but I think I won't be much better at the end. or maybe I will. I don't know.
for landing, what I do is find out where the wind of it's propellers is blowing, and correct it accordingly. the wind has to be strait down. It worked for me in doors, not yet sure of the outdoors though.

2021-05-26 11:34:35

Oh yeah, the DJI drones are super expencive.
I mostly fly cheep quads, and that's simply because I'm only flying for fun. As a guy with 5 percent vision left, I really don't need an $800 drone with a 4k 60FPS camera, and a giant controller with 37 buttons and a screen on it.
The most expencive quad I use is about $90 or something, and my cheepest one is like 20 or 30. As a guy with almost no vision left, I am going to brake stuff, and I'm going to loos stuff. I'd much rather loos a $60 quad than a $400 one. I can have a lot more fun while flying if I know it isn't dead serious if I brake it.

2021-05-26 12:33:07

Tristan04, my point exactly. plus, I believe all other ability's of a pro drone will be waisted by me. haha. they are used for filming movie seens and exploring hard to reach places among others. flite and collision avoidance system, though Vital ability's, are like 10 percent of there potential.