2021-04-13 17:35:05

onecore is basicly sapi, if you know what that is, but somehow better

i am a system, i have headmates, and that is my life, and my discord is rings2006wilson#8609

2021-04-13 17:47:30

@Jayjay: I never said that I thought Microsoft bought Nuance only because of the TTS stuff. When I heard about this, TTS was the first thing I thought of, naturally.
But it might have been an afterthought.

Greetings and happy gaming, Julian

If you say you never lie, you're a liar.
Oh, and #freeGCW

2021-04-13 17:59:30

Nuance also does other things outside of making TTS voices. I'm pretty sure that they play a decent role in the Speech to Text industry as well as a few other things that I've heard they did but don't currently remember. Maybe someone here can remind me, and also share for those who don't know?

-----
Matthew's Horse Needs Your Support!
Discord: misterkrabs69

2021-04-13 19:15:02

@51, OneCore isn't just SAPI. Its a huge range of over 300 interfaces specifically for windows. It covers AI and ML, OCR, TTS, STT, networking, security, cryptography... I could go on and on and on. Its UWP for other languages other than .NET, essentially.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2021-04-13 22:47:26

Hi.
Will this mean that apple devices won't be able to use vocalizer anymore? I've switched to the Siri voices anyway, it's time for apple to add more breathing voices like Alex for all languages and to produce their own. Don't you think?

Take care.
Mike.

I don't play games as much as I wish, but you can know that it's me if there's a John Weed over there. Ha ha!

2021-04-13 22:57:29

Personally I don't like the breathing voices, but they're OK.
I use Siri Female on my iPhone 12 currently. Like it a lot.

I don't think that will mean that Apple can't use vocalizer anymore. I just think it means more integration with Microsoft products.
Microsoft purchasing Nuance wasn't for the TTS voices either, I assume.
I heard it was more for the reason of speech to text and voice recognission software.

-----
Matthew's Horse Needs Your Support!
Discord: misterkrabs69

2021-04-13 23:07:58

@MatthewSmithYT: Just because Microsoft didn't buy Nuance specifically for tts, doesn't mean they're stupid enough to not realize the huge international language portfolio they now have access to. That is something no other company has managed to top, and Apple has a long way to go. Nuance/Scansoft did not grow their portfolio overnight. Remember, any IVR service being used does need to be rounded out with tts, and Microsoft will want to make this a global effort. So the voices are no doubt going to be used in some way, even if not for the consumer. That being said, they aren't going to change what isn't broken either, so I'm pretty sure Vocalizer voices aren't leaving ios any time soon.

2021-04-14 12:22:49

Also won't Microsoft just saying, "Bah, you can't use the voices on IOS, fuck you, we own it now", violate trust laws and result in a decent fine?

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2021-04-14 13:09:27

Apple license them. Code factory license them. Neither of these will be going away any time soon.

2021-04-14 14:48:26

Because you mention license: I am not sure how it is in other languages, but not all the german vocalizer voices (if Petra and Viktor and possibly others are also from Vocalizer) are available on IOS.
Why is that? Could it be that the license didn't include newer voices or something?

Greetings and happy gaming, Julian

If you say you never lie, you're a liar.
Oh, and #freeGCW

2021-04-15 01:44:40

Apple have yet to update their license with Nuance, so that may be why. I imagine if Apple is trying to round out their international offering, and if they succeed, then Vocalizer may be leaving iOS soon. Given their speed with that, I'd say it probably own't happen within this decade.

2021-04-15 02:10:58

how many voices would be leaving ios in that situation

i am a system, i have headmates, and that is my life, and my discord is rings2006wilson#8609

2021-04-15 02:20:36 (edited by Chris 2021-04-15 02:21:45)

Hmmm, this is an interesting development. It would be interesting to get much improved speech recognition in Windows 10, and built-in Vocalizer TTS would be badass! As for Apple dropping Vocalizer, that might happen once they expand their Siri voices. Are they developed exclusively by Apple? How about the old versions that were introduced in 2013? If Vocalizer is dropped from iOS, what happens to the older versions of the OS that still have it? As for Eloquence, who cares. That synthesizer should have died a long time ago. It's outdated and I suspect the only reason they still hang on to the licensing fees is because they can milk as much money as possible out of businesses like Vispero.

I don't expect major changes in Vocalizer licensing. Lots of companies use those voices, so disrupting that market would piss a lot of people off.

As for OCR, didn't that division of Nuance get sold to another company? If this is correct, Microsoft doesn't own Omnipage?

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2021-04-15 02:34:00

Agreed with @63 about eloquence being outdated and it should have died a long time ago

2021-04-15 02:48:18

I do not agree, many of us grew up on it and I don't see the point in change for the sake of change. I do not like natural voices because I cannot speed them up and understand them as easily. Take away my eloquence and my productivity is dead for at least several months while I get used to something else. I will do almost anything to keep Eloquence whether that mean not updating to a new NVDA version, not updating to a new Windows version if for some reason it broke, etc.

2021-04-15 03:06:31

@Lucas1853: Some of us grew up on Dectalk, so take that for what its worth. Personally if one of these synths had to die I would prefer to keep Dectalk around more than anything else. Even in its dead form. Dloquence I definitely fall back to even though I now use Espeak on my windows machine with a heavily customized variant, though I do still have a working dectalk express that is no longer being used (thanks, NVDA2019.3 onward).

2021-04-15 03:54:01 (edited by Lucas1 2021-04-15 03:56:06)

Fair enough, if you love Dectalk that much, that's fine. It's unfortunate that nobody has updated it for NVDA 2019.3, but I think that is because Dectalk just doesn't have the overwelming popular support that Eloquence does. Even to this day, Eloquence is so popular that it's still getting new code written utilizing it, see Datajake's SAPI5 thing.

2021-04-15 04:11:42

I literally don't see why would you wish for something to die, even if you never use it anymore. Not like Eloquence is forced into your life.
Eloquence is probably what massively helped me improve both my English writing and pronunciation, and to this day it's my favorite synth in English. Great responsiveness, sound, and most important reaction to common punctuation.

2021-04-15 05:05:20 (edited by Chris 2021-04-15 05:08:16)

I'm in the eSpeak camp when it comes to computer-generated voices, though I can only tolerate the NVDA variant due to the increased inflection. Eloquence has always given me a headache and since it's not supported or actively maintained to my knowledge, it should either be made open source or just discontinued. It's really only useful on Windows and Linux, since there's apparently no interest by Code Factory to port it to ARM64. Then again, I didn't grow up using it so I don't really care, but I get why people cling to it. Humans don't like change.

All this might not come to pass. Maybe Microsoft will continue receiving royalties on a technology that hasn't been updated since 2002. I'm speculating here.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2021-04-15 05:15:43

i use rh voice because its the only thing i can find that has sapi 64 bit support

2021-04-15 05:48:10

Personally, I find the Quincy ESpeak voice pleasant to the ears. I had to adjust the pitch a little bit because it was too high for me, but it works well. Eloquence tends to give me a headache after a while, so I can no longer use it comfortably.
Nevertheless, the default ESpeak voice is grading on the ears. If people can't find a good voice to stick to that is comfortable for them, or if people don't give recommendations at the very least, they're not going to be bothered to look. There are tuns of ESpeak variants, and not everyone has the time or patient's to dig through all of them. Eloquence ships with a decent voice right off the bat, and people have gotten used to its sound over the past 2 decades. You can't reasonably expect people to switch voices unless you point them to a specific voice or give a really good incentive to switch.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2021-04-16 14:30:57 (edited by mazen 2021-04-16 17:26:34)

In the latest nvda snapshot the edwird2 of espeak voice is great and usable

2021-04-23 16:44:36

As I remembered Microsoft purchased Nuance for their speech recognition software.
I don't know if this happened but unfortunately the Vocalizer voices will not go at windows, since th e tts infrrastructure has? been spinned of to a company called Cerence, however I'm wrong.

73 Wj3u

2021-04-23 19:57:48

no eloquence is developed by Nuance. But it is complicated because you can get IBM viavoice outloud tts for free on the IBM ftp site if you know where to look, have filezilla which is free and 7zip which is free and a free NVDA addon that you can get from github. And this version of IBM-tts has more languages such as Japanese, chinese and chinese hong kong, Korean, Danish, Norwegian and Swedish. While eloquence is bundled with jaws but sold by codeFactory as sapi5 but yet IBM-tts and eloquence sounds the same but IBM=tts is free while eloquence costs but they are based on the same tts technology. strange but that's how it is.

2021-04-23 20:06:18

vocalizer was developed by scansoft. eloquence originally made by ETI eloquent technologyes back in 1991 or so. here's the thing...
decTalk made by Dennis Klatt in early 1980s.
Keynote gold made by Berkeley text to speech systems.
lernout and hauspie buys out berkeley tts sometime in the 1990s. humanware is just a distributor authorized to develop and license voices for their speech boxes and notetakers.
lernout and hauspie goes bankrupt, scansoft buys them out.
I am guessing sometime in mid 90s, IBM buys entire code-base of eloquence, makes their own product IBM-tts for their IBM homepage reader a self-voiceing website application for windows95.
later, nuance buys scansoft which is a combination of Berkeley-tts, l&h and ETI eloquent tech.
and then codeFactory and others become distributors gaining permission to distribute and develop eloquence and vocalizer for various platforms, but they may only have access to the code they need to port to certain platforms.