2021-03-09 00:53:49 (edited by Ethin 2021-03-09 01:01:51)

@75, Just gonna jump in here and say that yes, you were actually stretching it out. You've completely ruined any kind of image you've tried to cultivate here. Your arrogant, boastful, and melodramatic. If you can't see that, well... That's only your problem, and only makes you look even worse. Though Camlorn pointed out your spelling to you, it most certainly wasn't petty, and I'm not sure what logic you used to draw that conclusion. If your debating with someone and you don't even know how to spell the name to describe one of the things your debating about, it *actually does* have an effect on your argument. But that isn't the only error you made in this topic, and I'm not surprised Camlorn -- or anyone else, really -- has hardly posted about this since they don't want to debate with someone with your kind of attitude. You absolutely refuse to listen to anything Camlorn points out, and you straw-man anyone elses posts to try to distort what we say to fit your own narrative. You ignore or sidestep the points we try to raise. You accuse me -- and other computer science majors -- of something and then prove that your just a hypocrite. You deliberately and knowingly attack someone who doesn't speak English natively, though who actually speaks it quite well, and you say that they need a translator, which is incredibly demeaning. You come in here and derail this topic all so you can do your armchair biology. And you then expect anyone to take you seriously? And before you wine about how I supposedly attacked you, I most certainly didn't; I pointed out that you were being a know-it-all because you were, in fact, doing just that.
So, in sum, There's no point in debating anything with you if your going to behave like that and show that you will do absolutely anything to win a debate, no matter how underhanded it is. You could've handled all of this a lot better, but you didn't. And that's all on you. And if you can't see that what you've done in this topic is pretty fucked up, then you really need to reevaluate yourself. There are rules to a debate, and you've pretty much broken all of them.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2021-03-09 01:38:06

I would think that pointing out that spelling the thing you're arguing against properly is important doesn't count as a personal attack in any context, but especially in a context where the person misspelling it is trying to portray themselves as an expert on the topic.  Unless other people were pointing out mistakes in your text that I missed, I literally pointed out exactly one.

Also, if we want to talk about personal attacks the first stone was thrown in 41, frankly, wherein apparently STEM majors are unethical or something?  I mean I've only engaged with the content for the most part.  I haven't done stuff like take what the other person has said and turn it into proposing that we lie to the participants of medical trials, or literally say that holy fuck this is an example of someone who shouldn't run the country?  But whatever.  I have a thick enough skin that I honestly don't care because you're a random person on the internet, but I'm not going to sit by while the person who threw the first stone claims I was attacking people as opposed to attacking their arguments.  I'm not the one coming over here and being outraged for the sake of being outraged.

Look, Ghost, if you want people to engage with you then learn to change your mind or at least to lose an argument gracefully.  Taking what the person on the other side says and always finding the worst possible interpretation to make them look bad, changing the definition of terms and hoping no one notices, and attacking them doesn't get you anything at all.  I hope that at some point you can work out what to do with what is clearly a large amount of undirected anger, but to the rest of this site you have now done more to discredit everything you said than I possibly could have.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2021-03-09 02:23:49

I love this advanced degree we keep hearing about. Unless it was in cockamamie bullshit, it's irrelevant here as it clearly did not teach you how to debate.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2021-03-09 03:16:04 (edited by Marina7 2021-03-09 03:17:59)

I actually can see both sides of the debate, however as pointed out in post 77 Ghost has serious problems accepting to lose an argument, and alters his ideas many times then he never accepts to admit that he lost a particular point, and rather try to defend it to death. So that is not the best way of presenting anything. I've had similar experience with him in another topic.
I do agree that in biology things often are kind of deceiving and there is always more and more new and surprising things that scientists discover about the human body every day. So if the question is simply which one to take, and both are available I wouldn't choose the totally new method just for the fear of the unknown. But if I have no other choice I would take Pfizer as we are in a pandemic, and any protection is better than 0 protection, even if it has a slight risk of long-term side effects.
I think that's what Ghost was originally saying, but I have no idea how the topic evolved like that lol.
IMO the problem now is bigger than the side effects because the tests that were conducted showed very clearly that it is very safe, at least short-term. nonetheless, the question here is whether the vaccine will really do what scientists intended it to do, (create the herd immunity).
And sadly many factors are showing that it won't, because first of all the antibodies are disappearing within 6 months, I am lazy to dig up links now but if you google it you will find plenty. My friend who lives in US actually caught Covid  twice, and needed hospital in both times in a period of 7 months. Yes this will protect the lucky people who will take it right now, but by the time we can produce vaccine for the other non-vaccinated this protection will be gone and thus again we won't have the required percentage of vaccinated people.
Another important point to consider is the mutations, until now it is not clear if the vaccine will be effective on the new UK/South Africa mutation, which might very likely be present in other countries as well but just not yet discovered. In general, this is very clearly going to be like the flue shots, so it will need to be updated every year. I think our only hope right now that these currently available vaccines save the most vulnerable people, until the virus mutates to something weak and become like the flue.

“If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you’ll most certainly be right.”

2021-03-09 03:28:39 (edited by Pineapple Pizza 2021-03-09 03:46:24)

Ghost's over Inflated ego is enough to fill up several of
These
12 foot inflatable giant beach balls

I would rather listen to someone who can actually play the harmonica than someone who somehow managed to lose seven of them. Me, 2019.

2021-03-09 03:50:16

Okay, stopping in here real quick to say one thing, and one thing only.

This argument appears to be over. The kicking of Ghost stops now.

There were some bad arguments, and there was some less-than-charitable stuff said, but this is getting painfully close to personal attack territory, or I will begin handing out warnings.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2021-03-09 04:53:07 (edited by Ethin 2021-03-09 05:26:06)

@79, are you sure that the antibodies leaving/people getting reinfected thing isn't because of the variants? If so, I theorize that this may just become one of those things you have to do periodically -- go in every six-eight months or so to get a Covid shot. We do it with the flue already so that wouldn't be too surprising.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2021-03-09 14:46:41

OK Sorry  Ethin,  but  pointing  out the spelling mistake in the way is clearly  an attack. Any idiot with  a few neurons still alive in their brain can  very clearly   see that. And it is an ivasion tactic that shifts focus away from the actual argument. You are like a broken record spewing the same stuff over and over and over again. I never ever claimed to be an expert in biology, and clearly stated I was conveying my opinions. Thev whole thread was really civil until Camlorn did what he  does best, and took up the inflamatory comments, decided a CS degree made him a biologist, which he then turned around and accused me of doing, and then was like  we should suspend ethics and let people be infected with a yet unknown virus, and casually was like, yeah we'll kill off  quite a few participants but yeah, totally ignored credible medical sources I sited that suggested an approach like this wasn't worth the risk and was pointless, personally attacked me over spelling, accused me of killing people, regardless of the fact that I didn't erge anyone to do the same, tried to play dumb  and claim that MRNA vaccines were equally known and safe as  other vaccines using different technology, and insighted personal attacks against me in this thread.
78, I recommend you actually do a google search on what college is, and what an advanced degree entails, hint its not like high school, before attacking me personally. As for debate, do you know anything about debate? I   think not.
As for star fire, I didn't mean the translation as an insult at all. I was trying to point out that natively language can be used to convey meaning without having it explicitly stated in a sentence.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2021-03-09 15:57:19 (edited by Ethin 2021-03-09 16:05:44)

@84, Uh... You should look in the mirror. I do know a little something about debate, actually. Considering that your the *only* person spewing your tripe, I'd shut up if I were you. Your tactics aren't gaining you *any* favor or making you look good at all. You were the one doing the armchair biology, and doing it first, not Camlorn, so kindly stop trying to deflect all the blame onto him just because he has a computer science degree. Your "advanced degree" is entirely meaningless if its not in biology.
Actually... Why am I even telling you this? You clearly believe yourself better than Camlorn and I because of your "advanced degree" (which is ridiculously arrogant of you, but hey, that's your own problem). I'm just repeating myself. There's no point in talking to someone who chooses to have selective hearing.

My Github

2021-03-09 16:37:01

So, I see that Ghost is now calm. Please be calm, Ethin. We're now getting hot... Please resolve it with peace.
re: Translation, I get it now. Guess I was going very harsh on you.
This topic is now moving to a war, now, so it's departure time for me.

2021-03-09 17:12:31

@86, Oh, I'm not trying to fight with Ghost, just pointing out flaws that they refuse to acknowledge. If things heat back up in here, I'm outa here.

My Github

2021-03-09 17:59:34

Imho, we should all nope out of here, nothing's gonna come from this.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2021-03-09 18:17:42

@82 I am not really sure, I've read studies where they said that the antibodies disappear but it could be very possible too that your theory is right. However the result is the same at the end, by the time we vaccinate new people, the old vaccines will be outdated and we will not reach the required percentage for the herd immunity.
On the other hand, remember that not everyone was taking the flue shots and effectively we did not need too, because the death rate of flue is very low, and the production wouldn't be enough even if everyone wanted to take it, but in the flue case that was never a problem while in the COVID case that will be a big one until the virus weakens, or we're magically able to produce a massive number of shots to cover a great percentage of the world.

“If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you’ll most certainly be right.”

2021-03-09 23:46:20

So I had my first dose of the Oxford vaccine today, and now my arm - near the injection site - seems to respond to fridge magnets. Is this normal?

Also, when I walk past our router, there's a high pitched beeping sound and the internet drops out entirely, or redirects all our connected devices to Chinese ad sites.

Take your chances kids.

-----
I have code on GitHub

2021-03-09 23:53:44

@91
This is funny.  Until you realize that a not-insignificant number of people on here are going to take you seriously.  Then it's just depressing.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2021-03-10 00:07:58

@92
Hell yeah. Also factor in that if I tell the world I'm joking, someone will think I'm being coerced by the nanites swarming through my blood stream.

-----
I have code on GitHub

2021-03-10 04:53:04 (edited by Ghost 2021-03-10 04:57:35)

Star fire, Ethin is still hot headed, as can be evidenced  by his posts. And no ethin, an advanced degree doesn't magically stop meaning anything if it isn't in biology, it just means you aren't an authority in that field. It doesn't also mean you lack other skills used to get that degree.
91, rofl that is funny. Guess you should use another magnet to dislodge the magnet dust in your  skin.
Starfire, replied to pm

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2021-03-10 05:29:27 (edited by Ethin 2021-03-10 05:37:47)

@94, Nice way of criticizing me while simultaneously completely failing to recognize your own faults and failures. And yes, your "advanced degree" is completely meaningless in this discussion. The skills you may have attained during the degree can also be attained via self-education. I acknowledge that you took the (probably harder) route to attain those skills... And thereby earned a fancy peace of paper for it that says that you did... But that still doesn't make your advanced degree mean anything in the context of this discussion. So, just because you have an "advanced degree" in no way entitles you to act like an expert in biology -- which is what you've been doing in this entire topic from your first post.

My Github

2021-03-10 07:31:19

95, I really see no point in arguing with you, as you keep repeating the same points over and over. As I said about a thousand times before, I never claimed to be an expert in this field, and you can't ever proove I did, so drop that. And congrats to you for reducing a very prestigious degree from a more prestigious institution to a "fancy piece of paper". And no, all those skills can't be earned the same to the degree with self-education.  That is why people with advanced degrees usually get paid more for the same job from people who don't have them.

2021-03-10 08:08:06 (edited by defender 2021-03-10 08:14:32)

@1
Fuck it bruh, why not take both!  Just violently thrust one into each arm while roaring a mighty battle cry, and see which one kicks the most COVID ass  amiright?  Worst case scenario, you end up with blood which can explosively destroy all corona variants instantly on contact with skin!  Wicked Sick!
Note to idiots: Never do this.

P.S. Ghost and Ethin pointlessly arguing with each other in circles for ever is what truly awaits us all in hell, (one constantly  doubling down no matter how  bad the argument, the other always insisting he's better than this but never actually leaving).
"Neither ego can live while the other survives"

2021-03-10 08:17:34

@97, Yeah, point taken.

My Github

2021-03-10 08:40:50

Btw, I liked 91's intentional throwing of an implicit message in the form of a joke to kick the butts of those conspiracy theory whiners big_smile
For your information, the op has died after taking his shot yesterday.

I mean, that's what he's told me some seconds ago.

lol

Kind regards!

Add me on battle.net and let's have fun, region is Europe, my BattleTag is: Hajjar#21470
By reading my post, you agree to my terms and conditions :P

2021-03-10 11:37:16

@11 I just posted what I said. I didn't say that I believe it or not, but yes, my sentence was kinda incorrect=, because I said that many people died because of Pfizer, not that I read that many people died because of Pfizer.

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2021-03-10 11:42:05

But as far as I'm concerned there's a slight chance each vaccine you take can kill you. The older you are, the higher the risk.

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2021-03-10 12:23:18 (edited by Magnus 2021-03-10 12:46:34)

You are close, but not very close.
According to the data, The patients died of their underlying disease in a coincidental time with the vaccination. They were very seriously ill patients with many underlying diseases.
If the elderly, or people with severe pre-existing conditions are vaccinated, there will be a certain number of accidental deaths that occur shortly after vaccination, which cannot be associated with the vaccination.
And if you say these vaccines have been developed in just one year, I will agree, but there was research going on other types of Coronaviruses from a long time.
I forgot to say.
In simpler words, bodies of some people can't have the vaccines as of now. +They have recommended who should take and who shouldn't.
I'll be glad if I am proven wrong smile!