2021-03-07 19:04:22

Hello...
At some point (probably at the end of this year at the quickest) I'd like to purchase a new phone. As you might be able to tell from the title, I am a supporter of consumer's Right to Repair. If possible, I would like to get a phone from a company which holds the same values. This means, of course, that I won't be purchasing another IPhone due to Apple's firm and unspoken stance against the consumer's Right to Repair their own devices. Honestly, I've never heard of a company that sells phones and is a huge supporter of this bill. I thought Samsung was, but after hearing that you have to use glue instead of screws to put the device together and hearing about how they're the only company besides Google who are allowed to use multi-finger gestures for Talkback, I'm not so sure anymore. I don't think One Plus are pro Right to Repair either, and I'm not even sure if they have made phones recently. I would Google this myself, but considering how accessibility plays a roll in my phone choice as well, I figured the forum would be the best place to ask. Any help with this is much appreciated.

--------------------
All of my socials and content platforms can be found on my website (not ready yet).

2021-03-07 19:09:46

Pretty sure the Talkback thing is about technical constraints of some sort, not Google trying to keep it locked down.  I wouldn't be surprised if support for it required some sort of driver updates.

Doubt you're going to find what you want.  There's things like the Pinephone but they're not accessible.  From a technical perspective phones aren't able to be power efficient and small while also being repairable.   As soon as you try tio make the phone modular instead of a system on a chip the power requirements and size shoot way up.  There's no market for inferior products that are sold only because philosophy, so that generally just doesn't happen.  Maybe there's something but I wouldn't hold your breath.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2021-03-07 19:16:25

As far as the Pixel and Samsung's multifinger gestures go, that required an Android 11 update (the update that just came out last week) along with the new Talkback release. The gesture subsystem, which was massively out of date, had to be updated to allow this. Samsung's gesture system was trasnferred to normal Talkback since they had abandoned Voice Assistant, so Samsung finally decided to work together with Google.

2021-03-07 19:28:26

Such is the way of the world I suppose. Hopefully at some point those of us who live in the states can finally passed the right to repair bill so that the market changes for the better.

--------------------
All of my socials and content platforms can be found on my website (not ready yet).

2021-03-07 20:03:56

I mean, I don't think he wants to repair them himself, just to be able to take them to someone who will charge a reasonable fee for work that needs done, rather than an arm and a leg. I'm in support of right to repair, but we'll have a hard or impossible time getting it passed.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2021-03-07 20:15:02 (edited by Mayana 2021-03-07 20:15:55)

Absolutely! There's the Fairphone, which I plan to get myself at some point. It got a 10/10 IFixIt rating, so yeah, pretty easy to repair. And you can order all the individual parts from their store as well, so if the screen breaks, you don't have to replace the entire phone. It's a pretty cool company, imo. smile
https://www.fairphone.com/en/
I cannot promise you accessibility; as I said, I don't have one yet. But it has stock Android. That's about as accessible as you can get.

Yes, I definitely left the forum. Mhm. Why would you have any doubt?
Code 7 tips: https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/4010 … or-code-7/
Don't forget to be awesome!

2021-03-07 20:16:07

Er. Guys.  It doesn't matter if right to repair passes in this instance.  Phones are a system on a chip.  The phone companies are certainly disinterested in making repairs easy, yeah.  But inside your phone there's basically one big chip with everything on it.  Repairing anything but the case/screen is replacing the device.

Sure we could make a repairable phone.  Same way we could make a repairable computer.  But in both cases, a lot of the modern efficiencies especially around things like battery life and size are coming from not being repairable.  SO your repairable phone is going to be way bigger and have way less battery life at best.  By all means buy that if you want, but it doesn't exist because consumers don't want it, not because right to repair isn't implemented in law.  The best you're going to get is "yeah we can replace the screen and buttons", right to repair laws or no.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2021-03-07 20:32:39

Well, screen case and battery I would say. Batteries are definitely replaceable without having to remove the chip that powers your phone. At least, that’s how it was last time I remember. Unless, of course, we’re talking about the major companies like Apple, in which case you really have to hunt down a battery if you have any hope of changing it out without having to get an entirely new phone per Apple’s nearly forced recommendation.

--------------------

2021-03-07 22:43:12

Mayana took my word, go Fairphone 3 if you want right to repair, it is awesome for that and it isn't a bad device in general either.
I would buy that myself since hey, I can get 3 batteries again like I had with my S3 neo, but I really, really want a Xiaomi Mi11 and my A5(2016) is still going strong, getting android 11 with Lineage one of these days.
It is also a some what easy to repair phone, yeah you have glue, but for a water resistant phone or a glass phone in general you need glue.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!