2021-03-04 07:50:01

Ok, so science doesn't work that way, as established.

And here's why.  Humans emit in the infrared.  Being able to emit more or less in the infrared is something you can control even without meditation because it's a function of body heat.  Get embarrassed, take a cold shower, exercise, and so on and it'll shift.

SO here is how a "emits in the UV spectrum" can get screwed up.  Someone involved accidentally sets one apparatus to the infrared spectrum.  You do your entire experiment.  No one notices.  You publish your cool paper.  Oops.

Now you're going to say "but surely someone would disprove that", but here's the thing about science.  These sorts of "humans have weird energy" experiments have been going on for basically as long as the scientific method, and they never, ever replicate.  Same for "I can bend things with my mind", and so on.

Scientists would love to knock down this pseudoscience bullshit by trying to replicate it one claim at a time and find the mistakes.  It's very satisfying emotionally.  But it's going to cost $10000 to fail to replicate "meditation lets us emit in the UV spectrum" and so on.  There's literally tens of thousands of claims like it a year.  You can only do that for so long.  You have to spend your resources effectively.  Once there's mountains of evidence against something that also has no explanation that fits with anything in biology or physics and you've failed to replicate over and over, there's no point.  It's a waste of resources.  If you believe in this stuff and are like "what evidence?" you haven't looked.  It's one Google search away.  The scientists can either be busy participating in unreplicated pseudoscience or solving things like covid, not both.

Science is equipped to accept psychic energy.  Unlike those of you who have decided to torture science into something that matches your worldview, those of us who get it don't raise the bar.  Get your weird UV experiment or whatever to replicate with someone more reputable than who first ran it.  You're not going to jump it straight to MIT.  But if it works, you should be able to get some small university lab or something to replicate, and then they say "huh, this worked for us, let's publish and see if someone else can make it work", and then maybe another couple small universities do it, and so on.  The reason that science doesn't accept psychic energy and stuff is that as soon as whoever makes the claim replicates it a couple times, someone else has always found the mistake--for instance, the people who can bend spoons always turn out to be allowed to hold the spoon with their hand.

And the thing is, you're probably like "but come on, do you actually believe that? They'll just laugh it out of the room even if you did have replication".  I believe it because science *did* try.  Psychic energies was an open question in the 1950s or so, give or take, right alongside "can LSD let us mind control people?" and many other things.  Science approached these questions with a 'we don't know", just as good science approaches everything, and then the answer turned out to be "no", proven by tons and tons of people running experiments like this that failed to replicate.  And then the question was closed.  If it's going to be reopened, someone needs to find something that (1) replicates and (2) isn't explained by physics and biology.

But I'm really not sure why I'm bothering, since I'm pretty sure the people making these claims on here are intentionally misunderstanding science, or at least intentionally avoiding learning more for fear that their belief in whatever mystical flavor of the week will get crushed by this little thing we call objective reality.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2021-03-04 08:07:00

@camlorn and ethin you are probably right, I haven't fully considdered all aspects of it, I guess this happens when I try to write something coherent before drinking my cofee. smile
I am always open to new possibilities that's why I keep asking and researching this stuff in hopes that one day what I experienced could be proven somehow. If you do a google search on the matter, the only actual experiment that comes up is the one I linked to. So it probably was something wrong with it if they didn't pursue the matter further.
Quantum phisics looks promising though, it seems to defy the laws of phisics in ways that we can't fully comprehend yet and whatever is happening during these experiences it has to be linked to how the matter works at a quantum level.
I keep wondering how further can science go? I mean, quantum particles must have some components, some even smaller things that make it work, perhaps there is an even deeper level that we simply aren't aware of yet.

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King

2021-03-04 08:22:37

about what you’re saying camlorn I feel like in the future stuff like mine control and all of that will be possible with technology. It wouldn’t surprise me, in the past couple decades we’ve seen things that we’ve considered science-fiction become real

2021-03-04 09:25:26

@GCW:  I'm sorry that you and your family are going through what you're going through.  I hope your grandmother doesn't have to suffer for too much longer, as cruel as that sounds.

My spiritual beliefs are pretty simple.  I have meditative in the past and can parts of my body (mainly my hands, chest and head) to tingle.  that tingling sensation makes me feel at piece and  brings a strange weight to it.  sometimes it feels like it has taken over my breathing and I'm no longer in control of that particular process.
If any of you have ever taken psychedelics, you may know what I'm talking about.
does this state of being grant me psychic powers?  I very much doubt it.  However, it makes me feel at peace with myself and helps me deal with the stress that comes with living my life.
I'm confident that most devout religious people tap into whatever this is at some point.  maybe it's god, or maybe it's the universe, or maybe it's our divine selves.  It could also just be some weird chemical process that goes on in our brain.
The source of it is irrelevant to me.  Whatever it is provides a measurable increase in my quality of life, and that in itself is all that matters.  If I die and earn some sort of reward for improving my spiritual attunement to the universe, then great!  If I die and cease to exist, then I won't be aware enough to care about whether it was beneficial or not in the long run.

I'm probably gonna get banned for this, but...

2021-03-04 09:43:44

There's this amazing BBC Radio 4 comedy called Old Harry's Game who stars Satan as the main character.
In it, we get an interesting view of Christianity that I find refreshing and don't see too often.
In it, Satan is basically the antihero that a good amount of the time tries doing the right thing even if it is for all the wrong reasons.
god, meanwhile, is a tired cranky old man that accidentally created the universe and got saddled with it by virtue of there not being anyone else to deal with it.
In the series, god's all-knowingness is often questioned, even by god himself.  There is a notable point when he visits hell feeling depressed because his omniscience means he never experiences surprises anymore.  One of hell's denizens asks him if he was omniscient, how did he not see his boredom / depression coming, which fills him with joy because he realizes he can still be surprised.
Satan and his minions also often point out that god's omniscience isn't as omni as it once was.
This conversation has built up a lot of tension, so I thought I'd bring this up and share an amusing little clip from the show.
during this clip, creation has broken down to the point where a dog and a baby accidentally ended up in hell, so Satan has gone on a quest to find god and talk him into restoring order once more.
Unfortunately, he finds him uninterested in doing anything, as he's too busy painting the beautiful world he created.
Anyway, for those of you interested, the link can be found here.

I'm probably gonna get banned for this, but...

2021-03-04 10:23:57

Science doesn't work like that and it doesn't concern with that.  Religion very strange stuf in there.  Now the question is what is that whitch streches between science and religion, but touches none?  What is the line that neither goes to the boundryes of science, neither falls in to religion?  I can tell you that if it comes to push and such, we are all surrounded by unknown.  Absolute truth, oh nbut every truth tired of itself consumates like a bird in midfight.  such truth are allways former errors,

Any mistake is a former truth. But there is no initial one, because the distance between truth and error is marked only by the pulsation, by the inner animation, by the secret rhythm. Thus, error is a truth that has no soul, a worn-out truth that is waiting to be vitalized.
Truths die psychologically, not formally; they maintain their validity, continuing the non-life of the forms, although they may no longer be valid for anyone.

---
"A good ruler gives the goblet to his servants. He never drinks from it himself. The servants need his glory. He does not cary the flame alone.
For a spark does not lit the flame, but the spirit holds it in place. Forgeting that leads one to destruction.
(Enhemodius before the Altar of the Broken)"

2021-03-04 15:02:18 (edited by sunshine 2021-03-04 15:58:11)

@Ethin: that paper was not discredited, either. Not to mention so many references to other publications, many of them leading to PubMed or NCBI articles. Here's what I want to know. Isn't NCBI a reliable source to read research publications? Why would they host pseudoscientific stuff if they're considered reliable? But you and @camlorn totally nailed it. It might very well be pseudoscientific, can't deny the possibility of that. Except, of course, @camlorn: minus the ad hominem. smile.
@GCW, man, I am too skeptical to fully believe your experiences, but too openminded to fully reject them outright as well. You and @mastodont especially talk about stuff which on the subjective level is experienced by many over the millennia so there's that. Even though there are stark similarities, subjectivity can't be made the basis for objective, nonbiased rationalistic enquiry.

2021-03-04 21:30:23

@132, it may have not been discredited but, again, its ridiculously to improperly run an experiment and get improper results. And its not up to science to disprove something. We do it, like I said. But the majority of the time, if you tell me that something is real, its your job to prove it, not mine to disprove it. You can reference as many articles as you like, but that doesn't actually mean that your correct.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2021-03-04 22:14:12

Ok, again, gay rainbow unicorns.  I believe in gay rainbow unicorns.  If science is supposed to disprove everything, then please tell me how to disprove gay rainbow unicorns?

You can't start from the assumption that something is true and then prove it false.  Maybe gay rainbow unicorns are only found on the surface of neutron stars in the Andromeda galaxy.  As long as I start from the assumption that gay rainbow unicorns must exist, science can't disprove them.  Sometimes science can, for example if I said "gay rainbow unicorns can be found in Central Park in new York City on Tuesdays at noon".

If you want me to take back my comment about how I think people here are intentionally avoiding understanding science to hold onto their beliefs, explain how psionics is different?  Every time science disproves it, the bar just gets moved: maybe it can't be done in the lab because the instruments somehow destroy it, maybe you have to be holding the spoon for the mental energies to connect, and so on.  I say what I'm saying about intentionally ignoring science because even the most religious schools out there--the crazy cultish ones--teach you why this kind of argument is bad sometime in middle school.  You have to explicitly decide to ignore what is literally the most basic thing in science or any type of argument where one side must be correct to maintain the argument about psionics and other mental powers.  It's only in the realm of philosophy, where there is no objective truth, that you get to use other structures.  And even there, it's frowned on.

I have less of a problem with religion as a whole in this regard because religious people don't literally move the bar a couple weeks after each experiment rather than accepting the results.  The religion stuff at least takes a generation to shift the bar.  They shouldn't be moving the bar because that's bad arguing, but they're at least not going "hahaha, science, time to purposely move the bar, here's my blog post with something quantum interference can't measure it something something" a few days after the papers come out.  They don't argue properly, but they at least *try*.  maybe that will change as science continues moving faster, I don't know.

But the psionics stuff, you have to actively not look to believe in it.  You have to actively ignore the most basic tenants of science.  You have to actively not google things like "why is telekinesis impossible".  The only way to believe in it is to be incredibly gullible, be incredibly uneducated, or actively work to avoid trying to find out if you're right about it.

Provide me a way for science to actively disprove gay rainbow unicorns that I can't counter with an argument along the lines of what the mental powers people use and I'll take it back.  Until then, I stand by this viewpoint.

My Blog

2021-03-04 22:48:48

This has to be the strangest explanation as to why telekinesis is possible I've ever seen.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog … s-possible

2021-03-04 22:55:45 (edited by wing of eternity 2021-03-04 22:56:38)

@134, why do you say that some people aren't capable of atheism?  Your example is very pertinent.

---
"A good ruler gives the goblet to his servants. He never drinks from it himself. The servants need his glory. He does not cary the flame alone.
For a spark does not lit the flame, but the spirit holds it in place. Forgeting that leads one to destruction.

2021-03-04 23:39:22

@136, that particular post didn't say that. He said that previously, though, because its true. Some people are just incapable of looking at reality without introducing an element of religious context into it.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2021-03-05 12:04:59

GCW, my reply to your post.
1. All of us have been created by Allah, the wise, the kind, the generous, the noble, and that is for one purpose. To worship Allah, may he be glorified and exaulted, in the best way ever. As Allah says in the qur'an: "And I have not created the jinn and the mankind accept they should worship me alone." Surah ad-dariat. Just look at how noble this is! You get to prostrate to him, ask him for your hearts lawful desire, beg of him, magnify him, what else could you want? And guess what, you don't need Jesus to intervene on your behalf, because in Islam Allah has given you the ability to talk to him alone, in any language you wish. You want to be a medical Doctor? You can say, "Oh Allah, make me a medical Doctor, please I beg of you!" You want to be guided to truth, just ask him! As Allah says in thequr'an: "186. And when My slaves ask you (O Muhammad ) concerning Me, then (answer them), I am indeed near (to them by My Knowledge). I respond to the invocations
of the supplicant when he calls on Me (without any mediator or intercessor). So let them obey Me and believe in Me, so that they may be led aright."
Just look at the meaning of this! In this beautiful verse, Allah says that he is near - the arabic word is kareeb and it's only used in the context of supplication just to show how near Allah is to his servants in his knowledge!  Usually, when Allah wants the prophet to say something, he would usually use the word in the beginning "kul - say."  "94. Say to (them): "If the home of the Hereafter with Allah is indeed for you specially and not for others, of mankind, then long for death if you are
truthful." However, in the first verse of the qur'an I quoted, the fact is Allah is so near to his creation it doesn't even require the format "say." Whenever you read the qur'an, you always take it as though Allah is addressing you. He is telling you simply ask me and I am there for you! One of his atributes is ar-raoof which means the kind.
Second, perhaps this old Lady is being tested with this disease. As part of Allah's kindness, he tests people with hardship in order for them to draw closer to him! We have to remember tribulations are like a bitter medicine, though we may not like them, they still better us, just like a bitter medicine does even though you don't like its taste. You have to realize Allah in his perfection is still taking care of this Lady. And you know what Allah says about the patient people? Read the translation and ponder. "153. O you who believe! Seek help in patience and As-Salat (the prayer). Truly! Allah is with As-Sabirin (the patient ones, etc.).

154. And say not of those who are killed in the Way of Allah, "They are dead." Nay, they are living, but you perceive (it) not.

155. And certainly, We shall test you with something of fear, hunger, loss of wealth, lives and fruits, but give glad tidings to As-Sabirin (the patient
ones, etc.).

156. Who, when afflicted with calamity, say: "Truly! To Allah we belong and truly, to Him we shall return."

157. They are those on whom are the Salawat (i.e. blessings, etc.) (i.e. who are blessed and will be forgiven) from their Lord, and (they are those who)
receive His Mercy, and it is they who are the guided-ones." So be of good cheer! All this Lady has to do is to say "La illaha illalah" before the angel of death comes and she will be on a good track to earn Allah's mercy, when the angels come down with bright faces and take her soul ever so gently out of her body to the one who shows the most mercy even more than a Mother child. Allah is more kind with us than we can imagine. I suggest you listen to the Qur'an, you can also read the translated meanings. i will give you a few short recitations, listen and let your heart be calmed, show these to this old Lady that she may be guided aright.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZdqFdRn7KU&t=133s

This is surah saba, type in surah saba english translation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SmGTrTFbzE

This surah maryam - it's an especially read for Christians as well. This is chapter 19.
The third is surah rahman, chapter 55: This may be especially relevant to you and this old Lady who is quite ill may Allah cure her, grant her a long life full of goodness and guide her to the true way!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLwbtREU2UY

My honest  request for you is to read the whole qur'an, because the islamic conception of God is much more clear, much more valisd and rational than Christianity.

2021-03-05 15:23:10

@138, that has to be one of the most cruel posts I've seen on here -- "Hey, guys, your grandmothers and family members are suffering incredibly painful, all so that God/<insert your deity here> can test you!" Hate to be so harsh but what the fuck, dude? GCW's grandmother is suffering constantly every day, and I can't even imagine what she's going through, and you think that its some kind of test? That's so fucked up, man. And so, so twisted and heartless. And people wonder why religion is an anathema to me...

My Github

2021-03-05 15:49:00

@139
Cruel, yes.  A very common belief shared even by most Christians, yes.  People get comfort from that believe it or not.  You can pass the test, if it's a test, and if you get an A you go to heaven (or go to better heaven, or spend less time in heaven learning what you did wrong in life, or...).

When I say that we would solve more problems without religion this is a big part of what I'm referring to.  But I guess we could also solve it if we made people such as @138 reframe the test as "hey, maybe we should figure out how to not have any suffering, maybe it's actually a test to see if we can eliminate this kind of pain", rather than some medieval bear the torture and it will bring you closer to god who can apparently only be appeased by pain.

My Blog

2021-03-05 16:12:30

I have many thoughts and opinions on this hole religion topic. It's one I find quite complicated for various reasons, most of which I'd rather not get into on here. I will say this though, and this is directed towards both sides of this debate. Please be tolerant of other people's opinions. If you're strictly science is the answer, atheism, all that, respect the fact that not everyone agrees with you, and actually you may not even be entirely correct. Likewise on the other side of the coin, if you believe strongly in God, or gods, plural, respect the fact that not everyone agrees with you, what you find comforting may not necessarily be considered comforting to others, and actually may be rather hurtful to them, and also that, once again, you may not be correct. Your way is not the absolute truth, the true way, or any other variation there of, no matter how sure you might be that it is. Be mindful of other people. If a person is telling you about a situation such as this and has so clearly expressed anti religious anything sentiments, it aught to be considered common courtesy to maybe not, like, jump in with your but God is the answer sentiments

2021-03-05 16:31:20

@141, the problem is that there is no such thing as an absolute truth. I respect the opinions of others, and I acknowledge that when talking about any one subject I may not have all the information and/or maybe incorrect, and I'm perfectly fine with someone pointing that out to me. The difference between religion and science, as I see it, is that science does something about what they're told: they try to prove it. Science doesn't just go "I'm going to tell you that this is how gravity works and therefore it must be so". They actually experiment and test the theory to see if its accurate. There's some verification and research going on. Rligion has none of that: if your told to believe something, your expected to fall in line and believe it and not ask any questions. If you do, you'll get vague answers that don't really tell you anything, or you'll be punished.

My Github

2021-03-05 17:38:06

138 is what you get when you've lost yourself to fanaticism. First, she's christian, not muslim. Second, neither she nor I have ever said that the christian religion or concept of god is better than any other religion, but 138 basically said islam is better than christianity. Then the test angle. I get how losing your job and making you find another one could be a test. You have to push yourself out of your comfort zone. I even get how losing someone could be a test, because you have to move on despite the pain. But to put them through this kind of pain and suffering before you take them? I'm not sorry to say, but I am not following a god that does that. It's cruelty without purpose.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2021-03-05 19:24:31

Hey OP, I'm really sorry for what you, and your grandma of course, are going through. This world, God, whatever, it can all be very cruel.
And of all the posts in this discussion, I find 141 to be the most spot on from my perspective.
I guess my beliefs are ore agnostic in nature. I lean toward believing in something, only because I've experienced things in my life that would lead me to believe something has extremely positive influence over my existence. I know, I know, everyone says that. But I don't care if people side with me or not. I know what I've experienced, and I know what I believe.
But time and time again, I see people of religion falter because of their blind followings. And some are actually intellects, people who actually study science, with PhDs and all. Similarly, I've seen people of science, too unwilling to accept that even some things can't be explained, falter at the hands of their arrogance.
You can get philosophical about this. You can get scientific about this. You can even study high degrees of theology. But at the end of the day, what really counts is how you handle being challenged by others' beliefs.
All this science vs religion vs other stuff. I honestly think it's ridiculous.
They each have benefits. Proving, disproving, theories, axioms, etc.
We're all just here to figure it out. Yes, science has a bit of an upper hand in that regard. But that doesn't mean science can answer everything. And if you really think that, well, that's just too bad and I am truly sorry you feel that way. Likewise for religion. If someone actually thinks that religion is unwavering in its teachings, and you absolutely reject everything else, again, that's just too bad.
But I think some of us are too smart for that. I'd like to believe we offer acceptance and critical thinking.
Anyway, for what it's worth, I still appreciate a good back and forth every once in a while. smile

2021-03-05 22:23:38

I do really think you miss out on a wider array of possibilities when you only accept science. COVID-19 has spawned a bunch of left wing science proponents who don't know the first thing about it, but shout, "Believe science" at the top of their lungs. To me, that's as stupid as anti-vaxers and anti-maskers. Science isn't a colt, it can answer some of your questions, but not all. We're still very much in the active process of discovery.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2021-03-05 22:39:06 (edited by wing of eternity 2021-03-05 22:44:51)

@GCW, Actually the important question would  be?  where do you turn when you are faced with great adversity, when suffering takes you by the throwt, and smashes you in to the cleaf of your own self?  Is it science?  Is it religion?  Or may be it is poetry?  Once I prised philosophy, now I am not sure if may be let's say a street cleaner isn't better then Kant.
If you want to talk send me a pm.

---

2021-03-05 23:03:26

@145
For what it's worth I don't "accept science" in that way, nor do most other actual atheists.  Science doesn't have the answers yet.  It probably will eventually, but until then I don't go seek religious explanations because every time religion has come into contact with science, science has won.  For the really big questions--do we have a soul--there's very compelling concrete evidence otherwise.  But for all the stuff we don't know, reputable scientists will just say "we don't know yet".  To use your language, "believing science" is merely requiring actual proof for things rather than just taking whoever's word for it, not making up answers from nowhere to fill holes, and producing experimental results that can be reliably reproduced.

Don't lump scientists and people who understand science in with the covid-19 zealot crowd.  Most of us hate Fauci for deciding to play politics with the science for the sake of getting people to comply with things like mask mandates, for one thing.  He could have told the truth and still had people complying, and all the back and forth wouldn't have eroded the credibility of everyone involved.  And don't even get me started on how we could have had vaccines in 2 months if people had bothered to get out of the way and stop riding the ethics high horse (I will scream challenge trials until the end of time at this point, but no one will ever listen).

But to circle back to my "you're probably born an atheist" point: you just treated science like a religion.  Atheism is a lack of belief, not a belief in something else.  Almost no one is able to understand how someone can just not believe in things.  It's very easy to say "some people don't believe in things unless there's evidence" and know that to be true, but quite another thing to understand it when you say it.

What we miss out on is false comfort.  It's false comfort that's as good as true comfort because if you make up reasons you have to have a soul and all these other capacities that are somehow unique to humans because humans are special and you have the ability to maintain that belief, then you get to have a higher purpose and stuff like that, and death isn't the end and so on.  But to the atheist, to the scientists, it matters that the things we believe actually be true and not just pulled out of the air.  Once you care about truth--not "we all have different truths" truth but actual "someone has to be right because it's either yes or no to these questions" truth--you can no longer maintain those constructs.  It's a really strong placebo effect: like if you could believe in the fire when you're cold, and somehow that keeps you warm, but only until you notice that the fire doesn't exist, at which point you can't ever un-notice that the fire doesn't exist anymore.

My Blog

2021-03-06 09:25:58

So, oddly enough I had a conversation yesterday with a friend about a similar topic. I wasn't thinking of this thread when this came up btw, but after the conversation my mind did jump back here and made me think of GCW's grandma.

The person I was talking to is at least somewhat religious. I don't know her well enough to know exactly how she practices, but I know she feels God is very important and worship is a big part of her life. I didn't outright come out and say I don't believe in such a thing, though I'm sure by the way I have spoken in the past, or how I didn't respond to her comments about worship, she could figure my stance out.

Anyway, she told me that she believes life is fair, you just have to understand the purpose of events and adjust your thoughts. Which goes against all of my beliefs. Life had a nasty way of being unpredictable, and i don't believe we as human beings should have our powers of interpretation stretched to such a  degree that we justify anything cruel that is out of our hands, in the name of faith. For me, a death is always cruel, whether committed by murder or by natural cause. Even predictable death has an element of unfairness to it for those who are close to the deceased.

An example of my feelings on the matter: A few years ago we had to put down a lovely dog we had. Not because he was dying, but because his back was irreparably out of whack and couldn't be fixed. As a result, he could barely walk. Our vet was surprised he was able to remain on his feet for as long as he had. It would've cost thousands of dollars to attempt major back surgery, and since he was so old, it just wasn't worth it (he was 15 or 16). So, he lived a good life, and we didn't think it was worth having him suffer through the remainder of it.

Now, I'm not a big dog person, but I do respect animal lives, and for a while, I couldn't get past the fact that this of all things was what had to kill him. He was healthy otherwise; had his back been better, he would've still been running around, barking way too much at the neighbor's dogs and generally being annoying, but that's what made him who he was. Maybe i'm being optimistic, but until the very end, I feel like he had the desire to be his old self. He still had some drive left. During the last weeks of his life though, he could hardly walk. He'd still bark halfheartedly when he heard other dogs, but he couldn't run and provoke them like he usually did. Therefore I thought the decision to put him down was a bit premature; I didn't think the dog was quite ready yet. But my mom saw more than I did, so maybe she could see he was giving up. I wasn't there when he was put down, but apparently my mom could tell that he somehow knew his death was coming, and he seemed ready for it. So, maybe he had given up after all but was just being a trooper. It wouldn't have surprised me.

For a while, I felt like we gave up on the animal more than it gave up on us. I mean in the end it probably doesn't matter, his life would either have been cut short by something else eventually, probably sooner rather than later. And it's very possible that if we had waited a week or two, he would've given up on his own anyway. That in fact was very likely, given how quickly his ability to walk had deteriorated. These facts helped me accept the decision when it was made, but it did bother me that his death was deliberate.

The strange part of this is that deliberately inducing death wasn't what bothered me most at the time. That's only part of it. What was hardest for me to take was that his life was cut short by a non-lethal issue. I suppose that's because I have a selfish curiosity. When people or animals die, I want to know the cause of death, because I like medical knowledge, and am a bit morbid sometimes. So, if he died of heart complications, I would've been satisfied. If he had given up and stopped eating, I would've said "Sure, makes sense." But a bad back? That doesn't kill, it doesn't make sense medically. It only makes sense if you put the emotional element in there, the thing that activates our compassion and sympathies. Maybe it's an autism thing, but as much as I'm able to understand the deciion and agree with it, there's still some sort of gap in there I have to step over in order to get firm footing if that makes sense. I haven't quite worded it like that before, but I'm also a little more confident at the keyboard than I am speaking, so yeah. I imagine most people will find me at least a little strange for thinking of it that way, if not heartless.

In the case of GCW's grandma, it's different. Not only is she mercilessly left hanging on through pain, but her mind is even caught halfway between being able to or not being able to decide if she's ready for death. The flip side of this, though, is that intervention or not, she will eventually die of her ailments. Dimentia and cancer are both ruthless killers and one will eventually get her if not something completely unrelated. The question I ask now is whether she, or her closest sane living relative speaking on her behalf, should be allowed to end it prematurely like we did with our dog. Had I been the one finalizing the decision, I honestly would be okay with her saying "Please just end it," because her death is already predictable, we're just making her suffer less while she's alive. But as we all know, society frowns vigorously on putting people out of their misery. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, it just gets really messy for me and I suspect most others.

I do know that if some people are imminently close to death and are in hospice care or something like that, they can pretty much say "I'm done suffering" and in those cases it seems okay to make them comfortable and unaware of the world for the last remaining days of their lives. I know a couple people who died that way. So far as I know, their death was unassisted, they were just left to die of natural disease without aggressive resuscitation.

I think cancer is one of those diseases that tends to go like that. I knew someone with lung cancer who, when she became extremely ill and was too weak to do anything, was asked if she was ready to go. Her simple response was, "I'm ready, I'm done." And within 48 hours she was gone. I fortunately was not there to see this, but I had known her during earlier times when the cancer was developing, and I could tell her days were numbered by the sound of her breathing and her voice. It really saddened me, even though we weren't particularly close.

IN that particular case though, one could argue that her death was in a sense, fair, as she was a heavy smoker. I have my own feelings about that, but even if such a death is cruelly logical and could be called fair, the feelings of grief are never fair. Nobody deserves to feel that kind of grief in my book, so I don't understand how someone could say life is fair and it's on you to see the purpose of things which don't initially seem fair.

So yeah, just my additional 5 cents on this thread lol

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2021-03-06 09:57:48

Firstly, several responses.
1. My response was not at all harsh, neither did I say anything bad about your Grandmother. Second, I respect everyon'es beliefs. Third, and this is a clarification, I'm not trying to convert anyone, because it's honestly not my job to do that.
GCW I an not a fanatic - we all have the right to our own beliefs so where's the problem? The fact of the matter is we are all going to be tested by Allah whether we like it or not. Whatsoever Allah does is correct because he is perfect in his essence and attributes. Just look at how kind he is to you, he enables you to use your hands to type, your legs to walk, your brain to think. Look at how he provides for the birds and everything in the heavens and the earth. We have to accept that when it comes to the wisdom of Allah, our knowledge is not even as much as a bird dipping its beak into the water. You should always remember that there are people suffering even worse than your Grandmother. I recently lost my Grandfather, but I do feel comfort in the fact that Allah decreed the best for him.  And perhaps your Grandmother might recover, Allah only knows, and she might be a much stronger person! And consider the rewards of paradise.
I have pasted part of article for your benefit. Again, not trying to convert anyone - just giving information!
Allah, the Exalted, says:

block quote
"Truly, the muttaqun (the pious and righteous persons) will be amidst Gardens and water-springs (Jannah). (It will be said to them): 'Enter therein (Jannah),
in peace and security.' And We shall remove from their breasts any deep feeling of bitterness (that they may have). (So they will be like) brothers facing
each other on thrones. No sense of fatigue shall touch them, nor shall they (ever) be asked to leave it."
content information
— Al-Qur'an 15:45-48
content information end
block quote end
block quote
"(It will be said to the believers of Islamic Monotheism): 'My slaves! No fear shall be on you this Day, nor shall you grieve. (You) who believed in Our
ayat (proofs, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) and were Muslims (i.e., who submit totally to Allah's Will, and believe in the Oneness of Allah).
Enter Jannah, you and your wives, in happiness.' Trays of gold and cups will be passed round them; (there will be) therein all that inner-selves could
desire, and all that eyes could delight in and you will abide therein forever. This is the Jannah which you have been made to inherit because of your deeds
which you used to do (in the life of the world). Therein for you will be fruits in plenty, of which you will eat (as you desire)."
content information
— Al-Qur'an 43:68-73
content information end
block quote end
block quote
"Verily, the muttaqun (the pious), will be in place of security (Jannah). Among Gardens and springs dressed in fine silk and (also) in thick silk, facing
each other. So (it will be). And We shall marry them to hur (fair females) with wide, lovely eyes. They will call therein for every kind of fruit in peace
and security. They will never taste death therein except the first death (of this world), and He will save them from the torment of the blazing Fire. As
a bounty from your Rabb! That will be the supreme success!"
content information
— Al-Qur'an 44:51-57
content information end
block quote end
block quote
"Verily, al-abrar (the pious and righteous) will be in Delight (Jannah). On thrones, looking (at all things). You will recognise in their faces the brightness
of delight. They will be given to drink of pure sealed wine. The last thereof (that wine) will be the smell of musk, and for this let (all) those strive
who want to strive (i.e., hasten earnestly to the obedience of Allah). It (that wine) will be mixed with tasnim. A spring whereof drink those nearest to
Allah."
content information
— Al-Qur'an 83:22-28
content information end
block quote end

The Qur'anic ayat on the subject are many and well-known.

Jabir, may Allah be pleased with him, reported that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah's peace and blessing be upon him, said:

block quote
"The inhabitants of Jannah will eat and drink therein, but they will not have to pass excrement, to blow their noses or to urinate. Their food will be
digested producing belch which will give out a smell like that of musk. They will be inspired to declare the freedom of Allah from imperfection and proclaim
His Greatness as easily as you breathe."
content information
— Muslim
content information end
block quote end

Commentary: Belching the vapours of musk means that after meals one would not feel heaviness and acidity. On the other hand, the belch will give out scented
air, and the food will be digested by it. There will be no excrement or urine there.

Secondly, recitation of Allah's Name will ever remain on their tongues without the least effort like the way we breathe, without any effort whatsoever.
In other words the food in Jannah would be so light and fine that there would be no disagreeable urine or excrement. On the other hand, there will only
be fine smell like that of musk.

Abu Hurayrah, may Allah be pleased with him, reported that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah's peace and blessing be upon him, said, "Allah, the Exalted,
has said: 'I have prepared for my righteous slaves what no eye has seen, no ear has heard, and the mind of no man has conceived.' If you wish, recite:

block quote
'No person knows what is kept hidden for them of joy as a reward for what they used to do.' "
content information
— Al-Bukhari and Muslim, the ayah recited is Al-Qur'an 32:17
content information end
block quote end

Commentary: About the gifts and pleasures of Jannah, here a hadith has been stated in the Words of Allah. The subject matter is confirmed from the Verse
of the Qur'an given in the text of the hadith.

Abu Hurayrah, may Allah be pleased with him, also reported that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah's peace and blessing be upon him, said:

block quote
"The first group (of people) to enter Jannah will be shining like the moon on a full-moon night. Then will come those who follow them who will be like
the most shining planet in the sky. They will not stand in need of urinating or relieving of nature or of spitting or blowing their noses. Their combs
will be of gold and their sweat will smell like musk; in their censers the aloes-wood will be used. Their wives will be large eyed maidens. All men will
be alike in the form of their father 'Adam, sixty cubits tall."
block quote end

Another narration is that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah's peace and blessing be upon him, said, "Their utensils will be of gold, their perspiration
will smell like musk; everyone of them will have two wives; the marrow of the bones of the wives' legs will be seen through the flesh out of excessive
beauty. They (i.e., the people of Jannah) will neither have difference, nor enmity (hatred) amongst themselves; their hearts will be as if one heart, and
they will be glorifying Allah in the morning and in the afternoon." [Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Commentary:

list of 3 items
1. The people in the Jannahwould be similar in shape and height, etc. There would be no differences between them. It won't be that one person is beautiful
and the other ugly or one is fair in colour and the other is black. This is one view. The other view is that they would be similar in being good mannered
and the desirable and loving disposition. They will be on the highest pedestal of ethics, etiquette, politeness and morality. None of them would be immoral,
discourteous or ill-tempered.

Would you and your Grandmother not want something like this? What else could you want? Even the richest men and women of this world could not even afford paradise with all of its beauty even if they had the whole earth at their disposal!
And consider how Allah plans for everyone in the best way.

So you should not be afronted by the presence of God, as he always does best for you.

2021-03-06 14:27:05

I may as well ask this here. For those who believe that their God is the true God, what makes your fat man in the sky any  more valid than my fat man in the sky, or vice versa? How is your god, goddess, earth mother, former president, some combination of the above, or what ever the fuck special. Ask this and things begin to fall a part, because the chances of your god being the true god when there are countless others, is kind of low.

I would rather listen to someone who can actually play the harmonica than someone who somehow managed to lose seven of them. Me, 2019.