2021-03-02 23:38:52 (edited by Ethin 2021-03-02 23:49:51)

I'm an atheist myself. I respect peoples beliefs, of course, and I'm not going to force anyon to believe what I believe or anything. But I don't believe that God exists because there's absolutely no evidence to prove that he does. The only things indicating that God exists are the bible, which is a book written by man, and a ton of people who put their beliefs in the bible and simply repeat what it says. I've had many people come up to me and get me into a discussion about God, and I always tell them that the reason I don't believe in God is because the bible raises far, far too many questions and provides no answers. (Also, the Bible has been rewritten, translated and mistranslated so many times that I doubt the current book we call the Bible is anything remotely close to the original.) Atheism is, to me, the right "religion" (if that term is even applicable here) because the only thing that then exists is science, and though science may not be a complete replacement for a religion, it is a sufficient one. Science has theories, nearly all of which are backed up by evidence and experimentation. Very little of science is purely based on belief; the majority of it is based on methods that have been proven to work over thousands of years. The scientific method is probably the oldest method of learning and understanding that exists, and yet it proves its efficacy all the time. If you use the scientific method and you get incorrect results, then you did something wrong, or didn't consider something critical. But you can't blame the method itself for the problem.
Religion, on the other hand, has no such method and is purely based on faith alone. I, for one, am unwilling to put all of myself into something as flimsy and unstable as faith. Faith is purely based on the beliefs that one holds at a given period of time. It is just as volatile as emotions are, and to say that this or that is true because I believe it is so doesn't actually make it so, especially given the fact that that very belief can change at a seconds notice. I've seen some people categorize the bible as fiction, and I can see the sense in that because there's no evidence that anything in the book ever happened; if some of it did happen, then its been warped to fit the narrative of Christianity. But the final reason I don't believe in religion -- particularly Christianity, which is probably the most pervasive religion in existence today -- is because every time people say how wonderful God is, I can never get an answer to questions like "Why would God allow us to develop weapons and devices capable of completely destroying the entire planet if someone got trigger happy" or "Why would a beneficent deity who has absolute power over all things allow humans to slaughter each other for corrupt and unjust causes". There's free agency/free will, which is one thing, but that's only reasonable to a certain point. There is a point where freedom must be restricted, if not entirely eliminated, because the actions that one would undertake with that freedom would be destructive and dangerous, and the lives of the people around them must be taken into consideration. That's why we have prisons and jails. That's why we have laws. There's freedom, and then there's too much freedom. And I don't think a deity who truly cared and loved all of us would give us unlimited freedom. There would be points where they would need to intervene, for the good of everyone.
So yeah, that's my take on things. Maybe God does exist. But if he does, I've yet to see any proof, and saying "God will only show himself to you if you believe in him" is nonsensical, for if God truly did exist and he had created the universe and all within, I imagine God would show himself to all, not just to those who believe in him.
Beyond that, there isn't much more I can contribute to this discussion. I used to hang out with a friend who was Christian who prayed for God to cure my blindness, claiming it was a curse in my past life. That cure has yet to happen and its been over two years since then. Furthermore, I find it entirely unreasonable to suffer a punishment for something that I don't even remember doing. It doesn't matter if the memories of whatever I did are in my physical mind or my soul or whatever; the point is, if I get punished for something, then I better remember it, or I'm gonna raise hell. And I can't imagine a deity like God happily punishing us for something we don't even recall. If he's willing to do that to me, then tell me why exactly I should believe in him at all? Why should I trust him? Because that doesn't sound like a deity who's kind or perfect at all. It sounds a lot more like an autocrat: "I'm God, and you did something in your past life, and so in this next life you shall suffer blindness. Oh, and I'm not going to even tell you what you did wrong, nor will I allow you to remember it. No, I'm God, and so I'm going to make you suffer because reasons."
Finally, don't even get me started on "hearing" God in your dreams. Sorry, but if God spoke to you in your dreams, I'm a lot more inclined to believe that it was just a dream, a figment of your (creative and illogical) sleeping imagination, than something that really happened. After all, it is well-known by neurologists (and those who study hypnopedia and friends) that, when the brain is sleeping, you tend to make really odd connections (and tend to come up with the weirdest ideas) that you would not normally be able to come up with while awake because of how the brain works when its awake.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2021-03-02 23:44:41 (edited by Mads 2021-03-03 00:03:15)

@Nocturnus
I find your morality argument quite interesting. Please do correct me if I am wrong here, but it sounds to me a lot like you are saying, that you cannot imagine living in a world with no ultimate moral standards.
I see one problem in particular with this, and that is, what then, if God doesn’t exist? I mean, whether or not you want to or can imagine living in a world with no God has no impact whether or not there is one, right?
Another interesting thing with God and morality is the Euthyphro Dilemma, which simply put goes like this:
Either something is good because God pronounces that it is good, which means that God can change what is good and bad anytime he wants, in which case my question to you would be “Would torture, murder and rape be moral if God said so tomorrow? And would you do it, why / why not?”
Or, God pronounces that a thing is good because it is good, in which case why do we need God? And here you have the exact same problem as atheist do, namely figuring out where morals come from.
I just find It much more realistic and simpler to understand if we say that morals are an ingrained attribute of humans, which we have evolved as a social species, and together we should strive towards a setting hour own moral goal, which we can evaluate our actions upon. I would suggest as many others the maximizing of health and wellbeing and the minimizing of the opposite. It is not perfect at all, but I think it works quite well, and I hope very few people would disagree with the statement. Now, why we should follow it? I think It is quite simple, while the universe or anything beyond our little tiny place in it might not care at all, we do, and that is what matters, it is, after all, our morality we are discussing.
I just don't really get the "why does anything matter" questions, I mean, I don't really think things matter in the great picture, but it definitely feels like things in my life and the lives of those around me matter to me, why isn't that enough. Does there really need to be some underlying reason to it all. If you really don't see any reason to live, to love and so on other than God, I really am sorry for you, and I think you should get some psychological help. Please believe me, when I say that I am not trying to insult anyone or anything like that, I just think you can unlock so much more in life if you find value in yourself, just because you are here in this world, it doesn't matter whether somebody put you here or not, whether somebody has a plan for you or not. We are here, and that is the thing that matters.

We live on a hunk of rock and metal that circles a humdrum star that is one of 400 billion other stars that make up the Milky Way Galaxy which is one of billions of other galaxies which make up a universe which may be one of a very large number, perhaps an infinite number, of other universes. That is a perspective on human life and our culture that is well worth pondering.
Carl Sagan

2021-03-02 23:45:22

Another thing is population control. A joking theory I always say is, natural diseases exist because god got too greedy and wanted more worship, so he kept letting the population grow larger and larger. There had to be a way to kill off the population, so natural diseases started doing god's work of balance. Oh btw i made sure not to capitalize the word god in this post.

2021-03-02 23:48:56

Ironically, we are getting more and more diseases, so that may becoming closer and closer to the truth. Only 1 problem with that theory... god doesn't exist!

2021-03-02 23:54:39

The population-control argument is kind of undone by the fact that many of these diseases either don't kill at all, or do it really, really slowly. If population control was really a problem, why not make humans a lot more susceptible to aneurysms or something? Quick, relatively painless deaths; the older you get, the more likely it becomes. Yeah, in the world we live in today, that would suck and be terribly scary, but if it was all we ever knew...then okay, sure, sometimes people would die young, but they wouldn't do it over weeks, months or even decades in some cases.
But an even better question is: if a godlike figure really is all-powerful, then why did he create or allow to come into being a world that would not meet the demands of the species which lived there? On a more religiously-minded angle, if god supposedly helps/inspires/guides people without stripping their free will away, why not encourage people toward better resource management, better technology to maybe find other homes if this one really and truly plays out? So far, he kind of hasn't done that...unless you count a rover drawing a penis in the dirt on Mars. Either way, it's kind of hung. Canlorn is right.

The only reason I stop short of calling myself a hard atheist is simple. There is a ton that we don't understand, and however unlikely it is, it's quite possible that some creature, some race out there in the cosmos, is so far advanced from us that it might as well be some form of god. We might consider that race or creature divine or omnipotent even if it is neither. That's about the closest I'll get. Our gods don't exist and cannot be real; they're just projections of our fears, right down to the "do this or else" rhetoric prevalent in so many religious texts. But some sort of god, or all-powerful force, might exist, and might have a lot more control over us than we care to think about.

Generally though? I don't get angry at god when things go badly. I get angry at the situation. The people involved, the scenario itself. I get upset with the concrete aspects. I may ask why, but if I do so, it's because I know the answer might be that there really is no answer. Why did my brother die? His heart enlarged. Why did his heart enlarge? Nobody's certain. And you know what? It sucks that my little brother isn't here anymore. I miss him. I wish he didn't have to die. But he did, and I don't have all the answers. I can either get used to this fact, or I can rail against it and still end up with no answers and a head full of ghosts.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2021-03-03 00:17:14 (edited by Chris 2021-03-03 00:20:57)

I've come to the ultimate conclusion that it's a bunch of shit primarily designed to comfort people into believing there's something after death. Magic isn't real, and it still isn't no matter how hard I wish it was to make this boring world much less so. As for God being the ultimate benevolent being? No way! A truly benevolent God wouldn't allow evil people to get away with stealing presidential elections in the greatest country on the planet, allow babies to die due to birth defects or other issues, stand by while the Jews were massacred, etc.

Religion brainwashes people, and while it's not as harmful as other forms of brainwashing, it's still a form of brainwashing in my view. Accept God or you will burn in the lake of fire for all time! Yeah, that's a really compelling reason to worship God. Not! Oh, what's up with all this lord and servant bullshit? I'm not a servant to anyone and would rather die before I become one. If God is truly benevolent, he/she/it will accept anyone regardless of whether they believe or not. Until you can prove to me that magic exists, I'm not taking this stuff seriously.

As for dying, we'll see what happens. The more I think about it, the more I think there's nothing. There was obviously a time before when I didn't exist, and I have no memory of that, so presumably there will come a time when I cease to exist as well and I won't know or care. Perhaps we're all doomed to wander the Earth as ghosts, or maybe this crap is real (highly unlikely). If it is, I've got a lot of questions for the almighty bastard.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2021-03-03 00:19:52

@51
The scientific method is very, very new.  I think 1700s-ish, but not sure on the exact dates.  It's not innate to people.  You have to learn it.  It's not self-propagating, and is actually counterintuitive to most people even once explained.

I would go so far as to say that really getting the scientific method at a deep level is as rare as atheism, and with a large overlap.  it's easy enough to do it because the science god/your teacher/whatever said that's how science has to happen, but it's very hard to understand *why*.

@53
Population control can be solved in many ways without pain.  Population control can be solved without even mandating that humans die.  For example an infinite universe in which there is no speed of light, any human can opt out of gravity for them and their spacecraft, and every single planet is capable of supporting human life and close enough to all the other planets that you can go home for dinner.  Just add on that there's a couple magic rocks that are easy to find and when you put them next to each other you get a controlled reactionless rocket engine that doesn't require any energy and there you go, space eutopia.

The only beings that would have to use things like disease for population control are not all powerful by any means.  In order to need to implement suffering of any sort, you have to be a being that's operating under constraints.  For example some alien civilization who is stuck with the laws of physics as implemented in our universe.  All-powerful beings actually don't necessarily have any need to even bring humans into being, because if they're lonely etc they can just rewrite themselves so that they're not anymore, no "here are other people to talk to" workarounds necessary.

People really have trouble getting what all-powerful god means.  The arguments for why pain must exist and so on, they all have implicit assumptions.  There couldn't be a war in heaven if god were all-powerful, either.  All-powerful means you get whatever you want exactly how you want it, and if it's impossible you just change the rules so it's possible.  Any being such as that which creates something with suffering and death is so evil that it makes Hitler look like a saint, and if we had the power to end them we should unquestionably do so instantly.  If we assume that god exists, they're either all-powerful or good.  They can't be both.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2021-03-03 00:28:09

@43, by your logic, if there is absolute truth then I have to accept that truth may not exist, making the all truth is relative concept a thing all over again.  No, if absolute truth exists, it is because there is an absolute truth giver, else truth is merely a belief you can wipe away with another.
@Jayde, 44, it is up to you if you're the one claiming he doesn't exist and that you're personally convinced of it, in as much as you believe it's up to me because of my personal conviction.  Making the claim is what puts you in that position because you're making a statement you claim is true.  To say that God does not exist is to say that you know without the shadow of a doubt that what you are saying is true.  ON the other hand, you also state that you don't know so we should keep trying to find out, which tells me you're still conflicted to some degree, as you cannot hold to both as true.
As far as Christianity goes?  Yes, you are absolutely right, and apparently it began as the result of the audacious claims of some guy who was born out in the middle of nowhere to a young woman who had apparently never had sex with anyone but was apparently visited by at least one angel and told that she had found favor in God's sight.  Why her?  I don't know.  He also apparently performed 7 signs that affirmed his divinity.
1.  He reportedly turned water into whine, bypassing the way chemistry usually works.
2.  He supposedly healed a man who is not in his physical presence, bypassing both the ways medicine and space/distance usually work.
3.  He apparently healed a man who has been crippled for 38 years, bypassing the way time usually works.
4.  He is said to have fed at least 5000 people with 5 loaves of bread and 2 fish, bypassing the way matter usually works.
5.  He was mysteriously seen walking on water, bypassing the way the human body and the forces of nature usually work.
6.  He was um, sighted?  By blind people?  Healing blind people, bypassing the way chronic disabilities usually work.
7.  And finally, he somehow, by some means, at some point, at some home, with a bunch of someone's watching him, raised a dead man after he'd been buried and all that jazz for quite some time, bypassing the way life itself usually works.
Now, this is a bunch of apparently and reportedly and supposedly and hypothetical yada yada that came to us from a bunch of other guys who were around some 2000 or so years ago who all believed this stuff to be real, and that's a lot of big stuff to believe in.  But he apparently, yeah, apparently, went further!
1.  He claimed to be the bread of life.  Interesting that he should then feed 5000 or so people with just a few loaves of it...
2.  He claimed to be the light of the world... I guess giving blind people sight wasn't such a miracle after all?
3.  He claimed to be the door/gate by which all good sheep enter.  I'm not sure how that ties into the 7 signs so I won't even bother to try there...
4.  He further reaffirmed that sheep business by stating he was the Good Shepherd... I guess he really wanted people to follow him.
5.  He said he was the resurrection, and the life.  Lazarus apparently felt the same way, after his sisters had left him for dead.
6.  He stated he was the way, the truth, and the life.  Nobody who wants to go anywhere of any great importance and know anything of great importance and see anything of great importance can do it by any other means, if that statement is to be believed.
7.  And finally, he said he was the true vine.  Apparently that's how water became whine, or some such.
In reality, what makes any of these statements of any worth is the utterance "I am,"  coupled with the symbolism he used to illustrate without any hesitation that he was the foretold messiah of scripture, written about hundreds of years before his time.  IN and of them selves, those I am statements are useless.  Coupled with the old testament and if he is to be believed as having had any ounce of truth in him, Jesus was in essence saying that all of this had been planned from the beginning of time and that he was equall to all of it.
Is it true?  Most biblical scholars are at the very least in support of some Jesus who apparently lived in Nazareth, born in Bethlehem.  The archeological evidence of his existence, however, is practically none.  What does that mean?  That Jesus, like 99 percent of the world in his time, made little impact on it from an archeological standpoint.  It means he was a peasant.  It means that if he lived he lived a hard life.  Eyewitness accounts of him are biased in every respect, as they should be given what those people reported.  Outside of the new Testament, historians such as Flavius Josephus coroberate his existence in his writing the Jewish Antiquities  Coupled with Annals of Imperial Rome, we get the idea that there was a Jesus who was excecuted by Roman law and that his followers were blamed for many things by the great emperor Nero.  There master, "Christus," was apparently put to death during the reign of Tiberius by Pontius Pilate.  Both of these historians, as Roman citizens, could hardly have had any bias toward Christ or Christianity.  Roman governor Pliny could hardly have had any reason to write about people singing hymns to Jesus as if he were God if in fact it didn't happen.  The historical evidence we do have suggests that Jesus at the very least existed, even if we don't want to agree on the why.
But that begs the question, if his followers believed that he was the real deal, as it were, and that is confirmed by what others who weren't followers of his wrote on the subject, why on earth and why in heaven should Jesus be so influencial at all?  Why start this organization of losers?  Of misfits?  Of people who would be seen as nothing but walking talking breathing wastes of space?  What does it proffit a loser to lead a bunch of other losers to their deaths because they would not refuse this so-called way?  This reciter of parables?  This man of paradoxes?  This wordy wish washy teacher who claimed that the last shall be first and the first be last?  This nobody from nowhere who had nothing to live for and who was hated by his own people, shunned and scorned and crowned in thorns for a world that would not believe in him?  For that matter, so bad was his loserness that one of the other losers inside of his sphere of influence said he didn't know him right before Jesus died!  Three times!
The truth is that there is no way any popular figure today in this world we live in would go to the cross for you and I.  The truth is that no top business leader is going to give his all for you.  The truth is that winners have nothing to gain if they've already won it all, while losers gain the knowledge of knowing that if there is a God who loves them that he loves them just as they are and that he'd willingly give up his one and only begotten son for them to have a chance at redemption in this sick and twisted world we've wrought with our own hands, thought up with our minds, desired by our hearts and full of our selves with no thought other than the here and now because it is all we see and everything clouding our perception.  For humanity to love, it must be loved.  For humanity to do good, there must be a reason for its good.  For humanity to exist, there must be a cause outside of it that has made it so, or else I'm just a predestined ape with just a bit more rationality than my three million years or so ago cousin writing a load of nonsensical sweet nothings for a world that is doomed to the vast bleakness of anticlimactic and brutal nothing that means we've all wasted our lives for nothing and our very lives were nothing in a forever nothing nothingness.  Love cannot work like that.  Love has to work on the basis that one is free to choose to act inside or outside of its influence, to better the one it is they love.  If we are simpy molecular and atomic collections in a shell cooked up by primordial soup for no reason other than that we are, then none of this should matter at all.
To conclude, you can be spiritually apathetic... I won't fault you.  I was there at one point.  You can claim that there isn't any solid proof of his existence.  You can even claim that there isn't enough evidence to compell you personally to believe!  What you cannot do, is tell me definitively that there is no god.  The day you do that, truly do that and leave me with no doubt, I'll Christen you God myself and I'll show the world why.  Until then, I'll claim that either Jesus was mad, or he was a liar, or he is precisely who and what he says he is, because those are the only three choices I see before me that make any sense, and each and every single one of them have implications surrounding them.  It's up to me and me alone to make the choice, just as it is true of us all.  "You can shut him up for a fool, you can spit at him and kill him as a demon or you can fall at his feet and call him Lord and God, but let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about his being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to.”

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2021-03-03 00:51:57

@Camlorn, I seriously have to assume you were trying to be funny, as you and I both know that you don't care about the existence of gay unicorns anymore than I do as they have no bearing on your life whatsoever.  Nothing changes if it is proved or disproved that gay unicorns exist; it really is a "so what" moment.  ON the other hand, the god question is real to everyone whether they choose to contemplate it or not, because if he is real, no amount of denying him is going to make him unreal.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2021-03-03 00:59:24

I've never said that Jesus didn't exist in some form. But just as Trump supporters claim he won the 2020 election and claim his two impeachments don't matter, so I would argue that followers of Christianity have, over time and with great personal motivation, adopted beliefs that suit them.
Put another way: you can't accept that the answer is "we don't know", and some sort of god fits. That's great for you. You are not one of the pushy ones. But the Christian god is as much a fiction as the Muslim Allah, and as much a fiction as any of the Hindu pantheon. These are constructs based on imperfect human understanding. They were written about by humans, for the purpose of getting other humans to follow teachings and behave like good little sheep. It's very easy to control people when you scare and shame them first, and unfortunately, if you read any holy book thoroughly enough, you will see plenty of fear and shame and gaslighting and guilt in amongst the love. You admitted yourself that a lot of things that Jesus supposedly did were "apparently". You made a really excellent case for how those things were essentially small acts turned into legends by people who were not well educated and not well acquainted with close examination of their own system of beliefs. I'm sorry, but you can't then prop up a religion based on all of this.

The only reason I am conflicted is because I'm not willing to say that there is no power greater than us. I am firmly convinced that none of our understanding of religion even comes close to the surface of what might actually exist out there. Practically speaking, I might as well be an atheist, but technically I am an agnostic because I can acknowledge that there might be things beyond our understanding out there to find. In fact, I'm sure of it; but as to what those things are, and how they operate, or how they'll interact with us (if they ever do), I, like everyone else, has no idea.

Now, to your other point, about love mattering because it comes from outside. My answer to this is far more prosaic. We are intelligent, and we are observant. We are also social, and being social, this means that at base, we don't want to be alone. Not being alone means we want at least some people to like us. When those who like us stay around, we eventually begin to observe how life treats them, or mistreats them. Because we have emotions, and because we have enough intelligence to recognize those emotions, we can feel pain, outrage and other things on their behalf. We can want to do things for them to make them feel appreciated. We can want to get closer to them due to shared experiences, good and bad. We can, because we do have a rather large biological component, even find those people attractive in some way. Thus, in one guise or another, love is born.
You say there has to be some sort of greater source of love. I disagree. This isn't emulation of a purer source. It's learned behaviour on account of our intelligence, our social nature and our empathy. Some of us are better at giving and receiving love than others, for a whole plethora of reasons. This speaks not to our relationship with something divine, but to our ability to process our emotions, our willingness to be social and to share our world with others, and to our observation of the world in which we live, as well as the processing of the data we receive. Machines can process all that data, but the chemicals which constitute a machine are not the exact same as those which constitute a human being. The same goes for a sea sponge; it may have a survival instinct, but it's unlikely to be thinking complex, emotional thoughts beyond its own survival. This is how evolution works. It's not about god, or greater love. It's evolution, baby.

2021-03-03 01:11:04

So if you guise didn't believe in god then, Think about us, earth, sky, sun, moon, animals, plants, waters, who created all that?
I can't think of someone else other than god him self.

best regards, muhammad chafid

2021-03-03 01:19:34

My question would go may be a bit ferther, why would a good god even create anything?  What makes someone create a universe or anything else for that matter?

---
"A good ruler gives the goblet to his servants. He never drinks from it himself. The servants need his glory. He does not cary the flame alone.
For a spark does not lit the flame, but the spirit holds it in place. Forgeting that leads one to destruction.
(Enhemodius before the Altar of the Broken)"

2021-03-03 02:01:46

@57, I didn't know the scientific method was that new. But my point is that science has hundreds to thousands of years of knowledge and experimentation backing pretty much everything. There are some purely theoretical things, like theories about time, but the majority of knowledge has been proven. Granted, science is just a ton of theories if you break it down to its constituents, but the theories it has have been tested over and over and have been proven time and time again. You can't apply the same thing to religion, and I personally choose to believe in something that lets me prove pretty much anything if I wish to and I have the required knowledge instead of something that's purely based on what a book and some people say.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2021-03-03 02:06:35

I, am a christian, and i'm not the type to start some argument about how you should trust god, and at 61, well, it's science, but. what made all that stuff happen to create this earth we now live in today. I Really don't want to start anything so just please don't say  anything to me if it's about how it's not true, you people have your beliefs and we christians have hours.
Now, second of all, and there might be some answer for this, but why would anyone even rite a 700 page book in the first place if they were human? about all that.
And there have bin videos of ture mearicles happening, now sense i guess most of us are blind weal probibly never see that.
Now that's the end of my post again, please i really dont' want to start something smilyface.

Bach is an astronomer, discovering the most marvelous stars. Beethoven challenges the universe. I only try to express the soul and the heart of man."
― Frederic Chopin.

2021-03-03 02:41:44

Why would someone write a seven-hundred-page work of fiction? Talk to Stephen King, whose motives were both money and entertainment. I suspect that those who originally wrote the Bible had far less pure a motive even than this. "Do what se say" pretty much boils it down. I'm sorry, but while I can take religious individuals each by each - as all of us should - I am not disposed to be kind toward organized religion. For every problem it tries to solve, it creates dozens of others.

My fundamental problem is just this.
Scientific inquiry will, if properly used, test hypotheses and ultimately will validate or invalidate those hypotheses. When a scientific theory is destroyed, it's pretty much done. We know that gravity exists, and peanuts won't float off into space if you spill them on the ground. We also know the earth is flat. This is demonstrable, and repeatedly provable. Science says, "If you can't prove it, it's not real".
Religion starts in exactly the opposite direction. It applies a "therefore God" to every single dangling thread. It starts with a premise and then works backward. Ultimately, in religious discourse, we are challenged to -disprove an assertion. So while I'm here, discoursing religiously, I would like to state that there is a sentient organism on Saturn that is more powerful than God. Now, go ahead and disprove that, because until you do, it is fundamentally true.

2021-03-03 03:03:33

There is no truth giver, there is only truth. It's what you get when you take the substance of life and melt it down a crucible, so that all the impurities are gone and what remains is exactly the truth.

All powerful god huh? Well I had to put my grandma to bed, or at least help at any rate. Like I said, she's got sun downer's, which means after about 5PM, you don't get much sense out of her until the morning. My mom was over there talking and talking and talking. "Mom, we want to get you in bed. Mom, mom, mom mom mom mom." Your mom is not able to comprehend things right now, and the longer you have her up, the more pain she's going to be in. In order to put her in bed, I have to hurt her. There's no way not to. So while you're over there blithely trying to get her up on her own, I just want to get this done. I don't even need her ass, I can pick up my grandma and carry her if I have to. Now you'd think, with as close a relationship she claims to have with god, that maybe he'd be like, "Your son is right you know. The longer she sits there, the more pain she's in."

Then she's in bed and my mom stops and doesn't tell me she's not all the way up to the head. SO then more him-hawing and I'm like get her the medicine. I had to say that three times. By this time I'm agitated. Get her the fucking medicine for christ sakes. We can do whatever else when that's done. It's like this shit isn't fucking hard, it's not rocket science.

But you know, he can't even be bothered. Oh yeah, that's because there is no god. The nerve of these people astounds me. Most of the time, I just kind of shrug it off. But when you come at me with that crap at a time like this, just no.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2021-03-03 03:27:16

@63
Kind of.  It is important to understand that science has actually changed very rapidly in the last 100 years.  I'm not arguing with you: we have similar opinions.  But it will help you to understand the other side of this if you look at for example Aristotelian philosophy, or the fact that Newton was an alchemist--and, more important, that in those places, at those times, that was the equivalent of atheism and blasphemy.

The big bang having evidence has only been (I think) the last 60 years; evolution on short time scales has only really been something we could look into well after DNA sequencing.  I think there is going to be an uptick in agnosticism soon.  You can see it in Seattle, where instead of a god you get a bunch of people who believe in astrology and a bunch of stuff where there isn't a higher power, just this collection of personally meaningful stuff.  But it's not time for that yet, if that makes sense.  The truth of the matter is that in just the last 30 years we've gone from the position  of having a ton of stuff that was a big black box that we could just say "the soul" or "evolution doesn't make sense" to "here's evolution affecting your covid vaccines" and "let's build artificial minds".  You can't arguepeople into atheism.  You really, really can't.  But I'll be surprised if Christianity or any other religion that uses a singular higher power that actively participates in the world is nearly so dominant by 2050.  There are a lot of things bleeding power off religions right now.

@64
I'll bite.  Harry Potter is around the size of the bible.  Lord of the Rings is around the size of the bible.  The Wheel of Time series is something like 20 or 30 times the size of the bible.  Discworld (the whole series) is even more than that.  Basically any author who writes a trilogy has written more than is in the bible.  Any cult leader typically goes off and writes a bible (for a really creepy one see scientology, but at your age maybe don't if you want to sleep well at night--they do a lot of very creepy stuff that does actually happen, like successfully infiltrate the IRS).

With all due respect, while you're free to have your opinions, you're only 14 or so.  I'd wait until you're older to get involved in these arguments.  At the moment you're not equipped to participate, other than to throw your emotions out.  For one thing many serious Christians no longer dispute the big bang and evolution, as one example.  And to be honest "no one writes a book that big for fun" is kind of not a good look being as you're basically saying that every popular adult author doesn't exist.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2021-03-03 04:31:45

Hi.

@GrannyCheeseWheel, I know we haven't gotten on in the past man but I actually am sorry you're going through what you are.

My nans (grandmas) mum had Alzheimer's and hearing her crying out at night, the family having to put an alarm mat thing on the floor for when she got out of bed, her not wanting to eat, all of that, was horrible.

As horrible as this may sound to some, her suffering will end soon so at least there's that.

My nan now has cancer and has a colostemy bag, and is going to the hospital later on today, it's 2:24 in London now and in the next week or so she's going for an opperasion to do something. From what I understand; she'll have about 10 years to live, hopefully it's more but we'll see.

As for god or a creator, I do believe in one as I've left my body, I've had my energy drained, I've helled energy in my hands and can do that every time I wish, I've done it around my brother and he felt it, so to me; there's evidence of an afterlife an a soul and to me, the logical next step is a creator, if there wasn't one, why would these things exist to me?

As for AI and the soul, they're not the same. A soul, in my oppinion is a bunch of energy with personality, it's your youness if you like, all clumped together in one energy packet. AI ON the other hand; as amazing as it's going to be in the future is code and an amazing computer brain, then again; who's to say the energy of that AI machine doesn't go on in some way. If you form an atachement to it; will you see it in the afterlife or a form of it at least? I don't know. I think all things are energy so in that way yes but would a machine designed to help you cross the road need or want to se you in an afterlife, I don't think so.

I'm gone for real :)

2021-03-03 04:34:50

Folks, I really don't know that continuing this thread is a good idea.

@66 I'm sorry you're going through what you are. It sounds incredibly rough. I actually had a pretty bad breakdown a few weeks back during the Texas snowstorm, so maybe I can empathize a bit. I was taking care of my girlfriend through it, her attendants weren't able to make it for a stretch. and I just sort of melted down out of fear/exhaustion. I do an OK job taking care of her when we're not in the midst of a huge snowstorm, but her place is inaccessible to me in ways that make that harder for days on end, and I had to take care of myself then as well. Plus she does tenant organizing, so all day she's taking calls from folks in apartments with no water, using dog-shit-filled snow for flushing toilets..it was awful in a whole bunch of ways. Plus we're in winter, when I already struggle with depression. And we're in a pandemic which, well, the less said about that the better.

What it also is was traumatic, and it really sounds like you're going through a lot of trauma right now. I'd like it if people here could be helpful, but I don't know that they can be. That isn't because they don't *want* to, but because it can be hard to relate.

I don't know if I'm right, and I apologize if I'm not. But I thought that saying something and being wrong, would be worse than not saying something and being right.

Do you have any other support? Do you need me to help you find some? That's a serious offer, and I have some bandwidth to help. I'm still not entirely on my feet, but I have enough to do a bit of research if you don't have the time, and to try connecting you with support if I can find it.

Hang in there. I know that sounds hollow, but it's sincere.

2021-03-03 06:28:10

When I was younger, I used to be a lot more spiritual than I am now. I don't think I ever truly called myself a Christian, but I was always taught that God exists and is always there. I don't recall ever being taught to fear God, however. I once went to a blind Christian camp and they basically enforced the idea that God loves us and wants us to be with him. Basically a very simple version of Christianity. They probably hoped that we would study more on our own after we went home.

As time went on, I got interested in things like energy work, magic, crystals, and the concept of the Force from Star wars. I didn't think too much about whether or not there was a god. I just believed what made sense to me at the time.

Everything's made of energy? Okay, why not? Science pretty much says everything is made of the same stuff anyway.

Crystals affecting your energy body with their vibrations? No real scientific evidence for it, but why not? Apparently everything vibrates, and maybe crystals do vibrate in specific ways that can affect people somehow. Who can say for sure?

Magic? Hmm. Maybe not like the magic in fiction, but why not? To this day I do wonder what the real limits are if magic truly exists. It's always fun to speculate anyway.

Psychic abilities such as telepathy, psychokinesis, etc. Again, no real evidence, but why not? We don't know everything about everything, so maybe it's possible.

The Force is what makes the most sense to me. The Force in the real world shares some aspects with the Force depicted in Star Wars, and it's actually not a new concept. Lucas didn't just invent it out of thing air. I suppose one could say that anything involving energy work is all the same thing, and we can just call it the Force. Life gives off energy. Heck, even non-living things give off some sort of energy. All that energy is all around us, and maybe it somehow connects everything. It also sort of answers the question of what happens to us when we die. We become one with the Force. Whether there's consciousness after death is something else entirely. Now whether or not that energy can be used to affect the physical world similar to the Jedi in star Wars, I don't know for sure.

So, what changed? That's simple. Someone tried converting me to Christianity. We had many debates/arguments, and I will admit that I was afraid at one point. Afraid because God, for one reason or another, absolutely forbids anyone to use magic or anything else that doesn't come from him. If you don't follow him, if you don't repent, if you do things like practice magic, you go to hell where you will burn for all of time and then some simply because you dare to defy him. There are also no marshmallows to roast. It was quite psychologically distressing.

At some point, I concluded that this is extremely unreasonable, and that God couldn't be how he's depicted by Christianity. God must be extremely misrepresented. Who in their right mind would be such a jerk all while claiming that they love everyone? Sounds like a bit of an abusive relationship to me. Do as I say, or burn forever when you die! Oh but wait. We're all saved as long as we accept that Christ died on the cross for our sins, because that really makes sense. Especially when you consider that he was brought back in a few days, and that he's really part of a trinity/God himself. So God sent himself down an died so we could be saved from his judgement, when all he really had to do was just forgive everyone. Right then. Sorry. Makes absolutely zero sense in the real world. It's an interesting story though, and if people want to believe it, that's cool. No judgement here.

Add to that that there are so many demoninations of Christianity, all telling us that they have the monopoly on truth. We can't even all agree how to worship this god of ours. Some churches even use different versions of the Bible. But wait, there's more! There are classes one can take that teach how the Bible's supposed to be interpreted based on the original Hebrew, because apparently the English translation isn't understandable enough and we need help. How the heck does this even make any sense at all? Why wouldn't the Bible just been innately understandable by believers in the first place? God supposedly wants people to come to him. Why make it extra difficult? Oh. Right. Satan. Of course. Has to be.

There's more, but this is getting long as it is. Suffice it to say that if this kind of thing is what keeps people going and gives them hope, great. Sometimes it does inspire people to be better people. Sometimes lives really are turned around. I've seen it happen. Whether it was the holy Spirit or just their own desire to change, I can't say for sure. But so much of it makes no sense to me.

So after realizing all this, it came to me. If I'm sitting here saying that God can't possibly be real as far as Christianity goes, then how can I possibly also sit here and say that anything else supernatural or metaphysical is real? How can magic be real? How can psychic abilities exist? Is everything I ever believed just fantasy? Was I really using the Force in some way in the past, or was it just me being more aware of my natural senses and kidding myself that it was something special?

To this day I've never really fully recovered from it. Oh sure, I'm still interested in things and still have a ton of information I've collected over the years, but I don't work with crystals anymore. I don't work with energy anymore. If I ever did have any sort of psychic abilities, I've subconsciously shut them off and I don't know how to turn them back on. I don't know how to remove this obvious mental block I seemed to have put on myself. All I know for sure is that the universe and I exist.

So, does God exist? I don't know. Part of me wishes he did. I wish he could just talk to me like he used to talk to people in the Old Testament. I wish I could just talk to him like I would any person and ask that things be explained directly from him and not by other flawed humans like myself. Okay, I admit that then it wouldn't be a belief based on faith, but why in the name of cheese does it have to be faith based and not reality based? What the heck is the point? *sigh*

Anyhow, that's my story and I'm sticking to it, as they say.

2021-03-03 06:44:22

@Camlorn, in my experience people can definitely be convinced into atheism. It happened to me and to some other people I know as well. I do agree that you probably do need to be a particular kind of person though, I'm not exactly sure how to describe it but I suppose something like the kind of person who actually consider what people say and reflect on it even if it clashes what you think is true. Growing up I did have questions and things that didn't make sense about my religious beliefs, but I didn't really start rejecting them until much later, and it was definitely because of counterpoints that made sense to me on the internet. So I guess it's maybe not the same as someone convincing you because I looked for it myself, and it obviously wasn't a quick process, there wasn't just a sudden epiphany and bang I'm an atheist. It started with am I sure this particular form of christianity really has the right idea, then progressed to is christianity really any different than the other religions that claim that there is a god while still thinking there probably is some kind of ultimate creator, to realising there's no reason to think that there should be and that it's actually a pretty weird concept to think the universe couldn't just have come to exist without a creator but somehow an all-powerful being that can create universes can just be there with no question as to its origin. And this happened over the span of a few years. I was only really atheist by maybe the end of high school. Obviously noone is going to change their worldview after one single discussion, but for some people a bunch of them over time can slowly help reality set in.

2021-03-03 07:02:05

The scientific enquiry has no way of explaining the data gathered by Ian Stevenson, though. Obviously something does happen after death, otherwise we wouldn't have such a shit ton of cases people remembering stuff they shouldn't. What happens though? I'd just wait for science to actually work it out. I am confident that it can. Though nonphysical phenomenon is always, always rejected by the scientists, which seems a bit dogmatic to me, but hey, at least they are willing to change their mind after empirically verified evidence and research backs it up, which is a plus point in their favor. Do you come back? Obviously not as the same person, there's nothing which remains the same for 2 consecutive moments, let alone after death. Then what happens? I await the scientific research on this, although there's just no way to do it without first working out the actuality of some sort of nonlocality in consciousness I think.

2021-03-03 07:15:48

My understanding is that when you're dying, a lot of stuff is going on in the brain. All that stuff translates to hallucinations and such. Basically it's all in your head. As far as people seeing what's going on in the room at the time, I've read that a sleeping brain can still understand things it hears. Maybe something similar is happening.

2021-03-03 07:25:55 (edited by Ethin 2021-03-03 07:27:22)

@72, the huge problem with proving that anything exists after death is the fact that there's no way of actually testing such a hypothesis. Well, there is: the scientific method, sort of. The problem is that there are ethical implications. It is unethical to study what comes after death because people would need to kill a lot of people, something no one is going to stand for in the scientific community. All the various sub-communities of the overall scientific community (psychology, biology, &c.) have these ethical boundaries that you just don't cross, and murdering someone in the name of science crosses pretty much all of them. You might -- the key word being might -- be able to gather a lot of data, but no one would be willing to publish or accept your data because of how unethical your experiments would be. Of course, this is assuming that I'm understanding what your getting at.
As for scientists refusing to accept nonphysical phenomena, this very much depends on the entity your referring to. If it in some way violates a mathematical or scientific law, its much harder to prove satisfactorily because your contradicting a lot of well-established knowledge, and things like that tend to take a while.

My Github

2021-03-03 07:33:48

I am not talking about NDE, though that also raises a lot of questions. I am talking about data like  this. if it's all just hallucination, then it's a damned good one where the claims are actually verified.
@Ethin: I fully agree. I've been looking into integrated information theory, although it is way too abstract for me to understand for the most part, it does seem a promising step.