2021-02-26 23:48:17

Hi gi's, so i'm 12, and rite now at school i'm learning how to cross streats, cooking and all that, now, i really, love to cook, i'm sure like 25 years later, ile be like, noooooo. but for now, i love it, and just the other day i cooked on something called a induction cook top, or something like that.
It's really kool like you can't even burn your self on it, and i cooked mack and cheese. so i would just to like to talk about cooking stuff, i love cooking. nest i'm going to learn how to make scrambled eggs or something.

Bach is an astronomer, discovering the most marvelous stars. Beethoven challenges the universe. I only try to express the soul and the heart of man."
― Frederic Chopin.

2021-02-27 00:32:23

Cool, congrats! I remember really loving to cook when I was that age too. What's your favorite thing to make? I think mine was hotdogs.

You don't have to stop liking it when you get older. I don't always enjoy cooking the meals I eat daily, but I like smoking briskets or making woodfire-baked pizzas. If you had told the 12-year-old me that I'd prefer my own barbecue to many of the restaurants in my area, I wouldn't have believed it. You've taken the first step on a great path. Don't assume you can't or won't enjoy it in 25 years. smile

2021-02-27 00:36:11

yeah. I was very much into cooking before the pandemic (and probably after, but it's the pandemic).  I'd always do an elaborate thing every couple weeks just because, and was considered the best in the family at it.  I'm almost 30, so no, you don't *have* to lose it.  Day-to-day stuff is boring though.

Never gotten my hands on an induction cooktop, but then I actively want a natural gas stove which is entirely in the opposite direction of those so I guess that's not surprising.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2021-02-27 04:20:46

Well, i guess sense i only really no how to make one thing, accept i no how to use the toaster oven, but i'm not sure if that's cooking, so i guess mack and cheese. But the thing is, there not going to teach me everything i want to cook so like, do you just half to find cooking recipes on the internet, and just do it that way and just implement the skills that i have?. then then another thing, how are you supposed to no wen it's like, about to boil over. sense we can't see it, my teacher said just useing seeing AI or what ever it's called might have forgot, and sometimes on the box or bag or what ever it has instructions and it will tell me that. and just cook it for how long it says and set a timer for that amount of minits. but i don't no if that's the best way, aa i guess ile learn.

Bach is an astronomer, discovering the most marvelous stars. Beethoven challenges the universe. I only try to express the soul and the heart of man."
― Frederic Chopin.

2021-02-27 04:24:11 (edited by titan_of_war 2021-02-27 04:25:21)

But i really like to talk about this stuff, i keep wondering once  get in uf minney, and it's time for me to move out, what am i going to do, like, picture this, i have all my stuff packed, standing on the porch. what do i do from there, at first i was like seven, well, ile just rent a hotell room until i can find like an apartment or something, but that's just stupid lol. so, i guess i need to have in uf munney to buy one. and the school wants me to get one by 16. I don't really need that much munney, sense it's probibly going to be a job that pays like 20000 a year or something, wondering what job ile even get. to. and at # if you really want to, thee induction cooktop is on amazon, and some of them even come with pots, yes it requires a sertant type of pot.

― Frederic Chopin.

2021-02-27 05:51:59

No one is going to pack your stuff and put you on the porch and leave finding everything else up to you.  Moving out usually takes a couple months and you stay where you are until it's done.  I don't know what country you're in, but apartments usually come with a stove at least, usually also an oven.  Induction cooktops are nice but you'll probably have something else already.

Handling boiling over is pretty easy.  Things don't boil over unless you overfill the pot.  You just get a bigger pot than you'd otherwise need and don't worry about it.  In practice, though, most recipes don't call for boiling like that.  In general boiling over means that the food was ruined anyway, so if things have gone as wrong as that you had an issue a long time before then.

You really have to go out of your way to make something boil over.  Fill the pot over 3/4th of the way up then set the stove to high then entirely don't pay attention once it reaches a rolling boil and you can manage it.  But in general pots aren't just sitting there going "muhahaha time to boil over" on you.

Seeing AI's barcode scanner can give you directions sometimes.  Instacart will have directions in it sometimes.  When the box says "add this much water, cook at that temperature for this long" then yes, that's the best way.

Most people who talk about cooking don't mean box from the store, add milk.  That's probably where everyone starts these days, but when I cook (as opposed to just eating whatever) it's usually entirely fresh ingredients.  There is very little you can do differently when it's the sort of stuff with directions on the box, and to be honest the sort of stuff with directions on the box isn't usually that great anyway.  It saves  a lot of time, and I will confess that my freezer gets lots of premade dinners these days.  But fresh is always way better.

Yes, you go on the internet for recipes.  You should be learning some basic skills like measuring, stirring, chopping, and cleanup.  Combining those in various ways is how you get most basic to intermediate recipes.  A fully home-made cake without using a cake mix is measuring something like 10 to 15 ingredients into a couple bowls, then mixing them together as described in the recipe to the consistency the recipe describes.  A potato salad is boiling some potatoes, cutting them into pieces, and adding a bunch of mayonnaise and some other stuff.  You can do an entire Christmas dinner with just the skills I've mentioned, some directions from the internet, an oven, and a bit of practice.

If you want some easy recipes, anything pasta is usually really simple.  You want a pot with a colander insert.  It looks like a big tall pot with a strainer inside.  You boil the water, add noodles, wait for time on the box, lift the insert out, add sauce.  Making various pasta sauces is trivially easy but involves a lot of hot liquids, so until you're ready for that you can just buy it in jars.  Here's a simple Alfredo to give you some idea what's involved there.

Something super easy yet impressive is doing a roast.  I like to brine mine, though I don't have a recipe for that handy because I do it by taste.  But making a marinade or brine is super super easy and 100% safe, then you just pop it in the oven for a while depending how big it is.

My Blog

2021-02-27 05:53:56

Also, not to double post or anything, but bread is super easy as well.  Kind of.  The complicated breads are complicated but the easy breads are flour, water, yeast, and oil.  And you even get to touch it with your hands without getting funny looks since that's how kneading works.  You don't need to worry about weights and stuff for a basic bread, long as you make sure to put basic in front of your google searches.

My Blog

2021-02-27 06:28:35

Adding a few things here. I really like these kinds of threads as I think they're very positive ways in which this forum makes a difference in people's lives.

Camlorn gives you a lot of good information. Like, a *lot*. If you can save what he wrote in a text file somehow, it'd be helpful for you to read and reread over the next few years, even if a lot is over your head. It's probably not what you need right now, as a 12-year-old. smile No offense, Austin.

Cooking is complicated. It can also be simple. Please don't let all these details make you feel like it's hard.

Your toaster oven cooking absolutely is cooking. When I need an oven, unless I'm cooking something large like keeping a turkey warm after smoking or warming a brisket, I only use a very large toaster oven. It keeps my kitchen cooler, and uses way less energy. My toaster oven is big enough to cook a frozen pizza which, if you have the right shapes of pans, is also big enough to bake brownies, cookies, and other small pastries. You can get large toaster ovens that can prepare full meals for one, and the skills you already have are probably sufficient to operate those. It isn't hard to cook for yourself. You need to learn more than you know now, but not a whole lot.

Happy to talk about more. What else do you want to know?

2021-02-27 06:48:07

The only thing with using fresh vegetables is I'm afraid of rotting. I mostly use frozen vegetables but I do get fresh meats and freeze them. I have done browning hamburger wich that opens up a lot of doors. Also learning how to cook rice will open you up to very tasty meals as well. Wich come to think of it the only time I really eat frozen meals like tv dinners or other frozen things like chicken fries and such is for lunch when I'm needing something quick. I have also done fryed fish by hand but I don't think my flakes stuck very well. Also I might recommend  a instapot. I've also replaced my old microwave with a smart oven so that does help me out a lot.

Bitcoin Address:
1MeNca7h6m8du4TV3psN4m4X666p6Y36u5m

2021-02-27 06:48:49

Camlorn, so the apartment furnishings do change based on country.In  Turkey, the typical run of the mill apartment is without furniture or apliences of any kind. The general understanding is you will bring your own. Furnished apartments with apliences have a really significant price premium, and are only available in areas with students and such.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2021-02-27 06:52:33

@7 how long do you do your roasts for in the oven? Also could you roast patatos as well or freeze them for storage? I want to try and make mash patatos but I don't use milk because of rotting but I've also heard that you can use dehydrated milk for recipes that call for milk.

Bitcoin Address:
1MeNca7h6m8du4TV3psN4m4X666p6Y36u5m

2021-02-27 06:54:23 (edited by defender 2021-02-27 06:56:41)

Yeah I thought cooking was super hard and complicated until a few years ago as well, and I still don't cook very much yet, but honestly, allot of it is just being willing to try, willing to mess up some times and willing to put in the time.
Plus, the great thing about the internet is that if a recipe seems too hard, you can just look for another one that isn't as complicated, and if that works, build up from their if you feel comfortable.  And the same goes for ingredients; you'd be amazed at all the replacements you can make if you don't have something, and it almost always tastes just fine.

As you cook more, you will discover ways to make things faster and easier for you so that it isn't such a pain.  For instance, I try never to cook while hungry as it makes me impatient and prone to making mistakes.  I also pre measure my spices and put them in a small container before hand, as I often panic when measuring under time pressure.  I've also started prepping meats and vegetables the night before if possible, so that my prep work and cooking isn't on the same day.  That way I'm not already annoyed and tired when the harder parts happen.

I also had to get over some fears, like touching things in a frying pan to check them for doneness, or being faster with a large knife, or causing a mess, or making small timing or measurement mistakes, or using unfamiliar ingredients, and I've still never seriously hurt my self or damaged anything, just little bangs and scrapes here and there.

Now I'm thinking about investing in a food processor to help with prep, and I've started listening to podcasts while doing dishes, so that now it doesn't feel so boring.  Learning over time how to plan ahead and use better tools and methods to make things you struggle with less of a problem really helps with the efficiency.

Like I said it all sounds complicated and difficult, and it can be, but if you do it enough and push your self a bit, it soon becomes almost second nature.

2021-02-27 07:16:55

@8
I dunno.  I got a lot of weird reactions from the O&M instructors and stuff at 16 when I decided the thing I was going to do was make an apple pie entirely from scratch, crust and all.  It was a crappy pie.  Pie crust from scratch is really hard even if you know what you're doing.  But if someone is interested the skills here can go really fast at the beginning.

Maybe I should link specific recipes here instead.  A lot of what I'm mentioning can be done really easily, even though it sounds like it can't.  The impressive version always takes a lot of work but there's *always* a "I'm a mom with 5 kids and..." version of everything.  Seriously, everything.  I've even gotten into making single-serving 5-minute microwave cakes lately.

I don't think anything I'm mentioning is beyond a talented 12 year old in other words, and "haha just keep doing the boxes of hamburger helper" isn't a way to keep interested in cooking because let's be honest, after the tenth time or so it's boring as fuck.  SO much of this isn't skill, it's just learning not to be afraid anymore, which can be done at any age.

@11
Timing a roast exactly is difficult.  You want a talking meat thermometer or a good, I'd say eye, but I guess we have to go with sense of it.  Typically it's never less than an hour at 350.  Roasts are all different shapes and weights so it's never exact, but as long as you go stick that thermometer in it every 20 minutes or so you're not going to overcook it because they cook quite slowly.

I do mine in a stovetop pressure cooker nowadays.  That's much more forgiving and much easier.  Instapot is the same thing but automatic, but I wanted stovetop for the control of it.  In that case it's 15 minutes per pound as the minimum, and instead of burning and getting dry if you overcook it, it just gets more and more tender until you have pulled pork or whatever.  I always push mine toward pulled pork or whatever consistency, because you can break it apart, grab some shredded cheese and a tortilla, and have a nice meaty tortilla-sandwich-thing.

My Blog

2021-02-27 13:10:46

@9
We cook nothing but fresh vegetables, beans, pulses ETC. I have to say, comparing now to what things used to be like, and adding in my less-than-amazing sense of smell, it's much easier to tell when veg is going off. Plus, it shouldn't get a chance, 5 a day and all that.

@1
I'm so so so glad you're getting into cooking!! There's far too many people living off takeaways, and plastic foods in plastic packaging. When you get round to your scrambled egg, try a bit of orange zest and a tiny bit of horse radish sauce in it. I'm talking a half teaspoon of the sauce (it's hot if you're not used to it).

Also, let's not forget that stews, curries, chillies, shepherd's and cottage pies are all massively easy. We did a Scottish-style vegan mince and tatties last night, and it was far better than either of us expected it to be. Also just bought a vacuum-packed kilo block of white sesame seeds so we can make our own tahini. That, plus some chick peas from a can simmered in their own water for about half an hour makes the best humus ever. Oh yeah, a bit of lemon juice too.

Just enjoy what you're doing mate. Honestly, there's nothing quite like home cooking. Nothing says "I'm a pro in the know" like a fresh pot of something awesome cooking away in your kitchen.

And I'm 31, and still loving cooking: I think your idea of what fun cooking is just changes as you get older. It only really goes away if you have nobody to share the love with.

-----
I have code on GitHub

2021-02-27 21:12:21

This is really good information you gi's, thank you so much.

― Frederic Chopin.

2021-02-28 08:41:13

I agree, I'll definitely be saving some of this information. Thanks everybody. I'm relying on my college meal plan to feed me right now, which is fine, but at the same time now is a great opportunity for me to learn how to prepare some stuff without the risk of going too terribly hungry if I mess it up lol. These tips and advice are pretty great. Probably the most complicated thing I've ever cooked is eggs over medium... but I kinda cheated and used my air fryer, which for me was one heck of a lot easier than a skillet. I always tend to break the yolk or never get the timing right on flipping when I'm doing it on the stove. But all I had to do here was grease a bowl, crack an egg in there, season salt it, put it in the air fryer, and get it going at 325 or so. Depending on how I want it cooked, I leave it in there for 7 to 9 minutes, but I start checking at 7 to see if it's where I want it. Suits me fine for times when I don't want my dining hall's rubbery scrambled eggs haha.

-
That Guy. Serving those people since that time. To contact, use that info.

2021-03-01 18:53:42

oh there is tons  of information, I follow this channel called pro home cooks on youtube and it has really nice ideas for the whole week. Get a rice pot and an air fryer plus accessories for it, a talking thermometer and the dreamfarm branded utensils to measure things and you will be unstoppable. There are also regular, toaster bags that let you do things very fast. There is also this awesome slicer, choper that is really safe when you use it and slices for example, tomatoes perfectly every time and it takes me less than half a minute to do it.
This all being said though, you need to be strong on some skills, so practice practice now that you got the time:
1. Learn the use of a knife: that is, how to portion things, chop and slice.
2. Flipping. Even though there are double pans you can get that will flip things for you, or you can do even steak in an air fryer safely and without the need to really use a spatula to flip, you need to practice that as well.
3. Seasoning: this is the creative side of things. Think and experiment with flavors, use what is available to you at a given time. If you are making something sweet, then by all means vanilla or cinnamon could be blended with it, or a touch of something more expensive and rare like cardamom or sesame seeds.
4. Boil or cook rice, pasta and so on without these modern machines. Again, here you practice timing, hearing when something is done, moving food from one place to another (to drain the pasta for instance) and so on.
5. Make omelets or scrambled eggs. This is more practicing stirring things, mixing, seasoning and timing, but when something is cooking, so its the most real time based thing. Its like a combination of the two above.
6. Make different juices. This i regret not learning earlier, because often times say, lemonade or juice with fresh fruit is really so much better than the pre made store bought, sugar filled versions of it all. Not all of them are made equally (passion fruit is a bit more complicated for example), but it will give you skills to then make sauces and so on.

I really suggest all of this because this  will help you later on when you want to make more elaborate things, the skills are the same more or less. But the most important is that you have fun doing it. Now that there are more modern appliances and a surprising number of alternatives and many different ways of doing things, I am really motivated too.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…