2021-02-09 03:16:20 (edited by chrisfaelnar 2021-02-09 03:17:53)

Hi. Is there a way to retrieve a file or folder that has been deleted with shift+delete key? I tried using ease US data recovery but it is not that accessible. What to do? Unfortunately, I have know backup of these files. I have external hard drive but it 's already full

2021-02-09 03:52:42

It's gone.  Will be super surprised if someone has an alternative.  You needed to turn your computer off immediately and get it to an expert (or already be an expert).  The OS probably already reused the space.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2021-02-09 04:20:48

maybe recuva but yeah. I think it's even more fucked if you use an SSD.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2021-02-09 04:20:51

If it's right away control z usually works. You could also try and see if the folder has an earlier restore point. I know these aren't very likely but it's the best I got.

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2021-02-09 05:11:20

control z ain't gonna do nothin' because that only serves to restore from the recycle bin.

End racism
End division
Become united

2021-02-09 06:13:51

There is no way to recover permanently deleted files. Once a file is deleted that way, its gone. The only way is to restore from backups.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2021-02-09 11:23:16

next time, don't shift delete just delete, i lost 14 gb of audio discribed films ones buy useing shift +delete

"But did you, in your three-piece psychology and 1950's technobrain,
ever take a look behind the eyes of the hacker?  Did you ever wonder what
made him tick, what forces shaped him, what may have molded him?"

2021-02-09 11:47:04

when you shift delete something, dont install any thing dont do copy paste or any other thing, if you have any data recoverring software install, use that right away, recuva is accessible yes. its the only way without paying vasts amounts of cash
if you try to recover after a while, it wont work because windows would probably used that part arleady
or there is also the rs recovery tools, which s an other accessible program but payed

2021-02-09 11:51:46

TLDR: Just don't do it again!

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (@Minionslayer0). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Mastodon at @Minionslayer.

2021-02-09 19:45:38

if it was recently deleted, recuva might bring it back. it's pretty good

allow me to speak more,
catch me on Twitter
or, Mastodon

2021-02-09 22:15:20

No, it won't, especially onf VNMe disks and SSDs. Forced file recovery is a very difficult thing to do even at the best of times and is 50-50 on hard drives.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2021-02-09 22:33:29

i really hate to break it to you but: Backup, backup, and again, backup. you won't be able to recover it now, it's too late, trust me.

I love audiogames, a specially some offline ones like top speed.

2021-02-10 20:41:31

So, one thing that few people really know about is that windows actually has many different levels of recycling bins that users don't have initial access to. So to put it simply, even if you delete a file from your visible recycling bin, it might be saved in one of the others that you can't initially access. Weel there is a solution to this. There is a program called windirstat that will allow you to access these different levels of recycling bins. I don't know if it is exactly accessible and I don't know if it is guaranteed to even help you get your file back if it is accessible. But, if you do want to give it a try, you can download it from here:
https://windirstat.net/download.html

I hope this can help you with your issue, and if I do get a chance to try it out sometime today, I will give an update on how it goes later on.

It seems that common sense is a lost art. I am here as a special type of artist to bring that beauty back. If you don't like my work, prove that yours is better. Paint me a beautiful picture of life. Otherwise, I have no interest.

2021-02-10 21:15:03

@Blue-Eyed Demon Used it before, seems pretty accessible to me. Even just for checking how much storage x folder is taking.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (@Minionslayer0). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Mastodon at @Minionslayer.

2021-02-11 01:31:24

Huh. I always thought shift+delete just erased the pointer to the file so Windows would see that area of the drive as free space. As long as it hasn't been overwritten it should be recoverable. I don't know about different recycle bins. Sounds interesting.

2021-02-11 02:09:04

I don't know about all that, it sounds sketchy like they're trying to sell you something. Hey come buy our shit that gets you ALL of your recycle bins that MS will not give you access to. I smell grade A bullshit.

End racism
End division
Become united

2021-02-11 02:48:37

It is not something that you need to buy. The whole thing is free. The only reason I heard about it is because my dad uses it at his work. So I know it is something reliable.

It seems that common sense is a lost art. I am here as a special type of artist to bring that beauty back. If you don't like my work, prove that yours is better. Paint me a beautiful picture of life. Otherwise, I have no interest.

2021-02-11 02:57:29

@17, I've never heard of these "multiple recycle bins" stuff either and I've delved pretty deep into operating systems in general. Can you provide me a source to where I can find more information? The idea sounds sketchy and not exactly something Windows would do. It sounds more like RAID than anything else.

My Github

2021-02-11 13:34:28

Thank you everyone... And sorry for the late response. I'll try that windir stat @13 and see if it is still recoverable. But if not, time to move on. Lolz.

2021-02-11 16:10:32

I think its pritty late now, its been more than a day or even 2 since you deleted it, windows has already used the space