2021-01-26 22:00:11

Yes but you should read The Heroes of Olympus before The Trials of Apollo.

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2021-01-27 00:26:07

Yes, the chronology of the main line of books is Percy Jackson, Heros of Olympus, Trials of Apollo. Magnus Chase technically takes place in parallel with Trials of Apollo I believe, and Kane Chronicles fits in there somewhere, probably after the main Percy Jackson series in terms of timeline but it doesn't matter.

2021-01-27 03:14:59

aha. thanks all
smile

I am a divine being. I can be called a primordial deity, but that might be pushing it, a smidge. I am the only one of my kind to have ten tails, with others having nine. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I have ascended my own race.

2021-01-27 03:56:01

@jayjay, dude, check your pms.

I am a divine being. I can be called a primordial deity, but that might be pushing it, a smidge. I am the only one of my kind to have ten tails, with others having nine. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I have ascended my own race.

2021-01-27 10:44:09

Hi.

@Gaki_shonen, check your PMS.

I'm gone for real :)

2021-01-27 12:35:09

Replied 29

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2021-01-27 14:05:55

@30and 31, replied

2021-01-27 17:10:26

Hi.

@32, I've replied smile

I'm gone for real :)

2021-01-27 17:31:42

Personally, I read the original 5 percey jackson books. I enjoyed them as far as they went in terms of modernising Griek myths (I loved crusties bed emporium), but after book 1, character development seemed to basically default to "hero is awesome at everything!", with all confrontations ending with the cavalry turning up and saving the day, little by way of actual seriousness, and a bit too much blatant borrowing from Harry Potter in terms of plot structure and in some cases characters (annabeth is blatantly Hermione).

It was fun , but didn't really have the payoff and development promised in the first book, plus it had way to much of the deus ex and not enough character to hang that on, which is why I didn't go on to any of Riorden's other series.

I'm actually reading rhythm of war at the moment, am about halfway through. It's good, but not imho up to the quality of the first three, particularly in terms of tension and payoff, and in terms of Sanderson getting a little too wrapped up in world and not enough characters. Use of a few too many modernisms in the narration such as describing someone as a "teen" also are a thing I'm less fond of, though it's still a pretty good book, just not imho up to the exceptional quality of stormlight 1-3.

Actually in general, I enjoy Sanderson, but don't regard him as the greatest writer who ever lived the way some people do, even in the fantasy genre, give me Hobb, williams or Rothfus over Sanderson, for all I still do enjoy Sanderson's books and have read most everything he's written.

I wouldn't put someone off reading Sanderson's stuff because of age inappropriate content, heck, I read so outside my own age group as a child and teenager it wasn't funny, more simply because if your looking for something faster paced and comparatively easy to read like Rowling or Riorden, some of Sanderson's longer series might take a bit too much getting into.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2021-01-27 18:00:47

The Mortal Instruments are only good throughout the first book. The rest are spent on agonizing over whom to love. I suffered through all of them (I don't quit series regardless of their status), and if you know what is good for you, you will stay away from this one. Don't get me wrong, the plot was interesting, but when you have an entire book going "Oh, I love x, but also y, but x is better because of Z, but Y attracts me because of, uh, what's after Z, ZA? I'll give it a hard pass.
I am not against romance -- quite the opposite. I believe a good book is incomplete without one, but it shouldn't be the main focus of the story unless explicitly aimed to be that way. City of Bones and all the subsequent titles are false advertisements in that regard.
As to what to read, hmm, I personally recommend the Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne. A bit more serious than Percy Jackson and HP, but worth a read do to their comedic nature and an awesome narrator to boot. Also, this is the only set of books I've found dealing with Celtic mythology in a similar fashion to Riordan. The books are also super short (around 8 hours each), making them an easy read. I would also recommend the Lorien Legacies by Pittacus Lore, though this one gets bad from book 8 onwards -- basically where they attempted to split off into a new series. The concept is centered around what are essentially superpowers and their use to save the Earth. Yes, classic, but the execution is decent, the characters are relatable to the intended audience, and despite the typical plot the story takes an interesting turn. The books are still short and have intermediate level of vocabulary and still manage to maintain a semblance of the themes Rick Riordan / JK emphasize.

2021-01-27 18:06:08

BTW gaki shonen, replied. Hopefully I should stop derailing the topic xd

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2021-01-27 18:07:19

so it's not only me who got the Hermione vibes from annabeth? I mean what kind of name is that? lool.

2021-01-27 18:13:14

JayJay wrote:

BTW gaki shonen, replied. Hopefully I should stop derailing the topic xd

replied.

2021-01-28 01:31:09 (edited by Chris 2021-01-28 01:32:01)

The Iron Druid Chronicles is great! The only thing that irritated me was the slight PC bullshit about the world being destroyed by pollution and how we should all stop. I lump this into the global warming is a load of crap bin. Virtue signaling at its finest. If you can ignore that, it's a great series. Sadly, virtue signaling and political correctness are all too common in all forms of modern entertainment. I don't want your views on topic X, I just want to enjoy a nice fantasy story and get away from the real world. Ugh!

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2021-01-28 02:33:04

@35
For what it's worth there is such a thing as well-done romance-motivated plots.  See Stardust by Neil Gaiman, which is a very good book irregardless of anything else.  The main plot is motivated by our main character going off to bring back a falling star for his love, though sadly saying anything more about it is major spoilers other than to say it does not at all go how one would expect.  It's a twisted hero's journey, kind of.

Also now I have no idea how Gaiman hasn't been mentioned yet, save perhaps that he's not really very much like Riordan at all, and generally aimed at a more experienced reader.  Ocean at the end of the lane is very good and Good Omens is a pretty well done religious satire, though I will put forward that the well-read urban fantasy reader will find American Gods to be merely average.  That said, in some ways American Gods is adult, gritty, way less optimistic Percy Jackson, so there might be something there.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2021-01-28 04:32:56 (edited by Chris 2021-01-28 05:00:52)

American Gods was horrible! I wish I hadn't wasted the time on that book. Maybe it wasn't my cup of tea. I thought it would get better as it progressed, but it really didn't.
Gaiman is really interesting otherwise. Check out Coraline. It's very very creepy. It's about a girl who wanders into another world and is trapped by a demon pretending to be her mother. The Ocean at the End of the Lane is pretty good as well, though I'm a little confused by the ending. I haven't tried Stardust as of yet. I also read The Graveyard book about 10 years ago. It wasn't too bad, but Coraline and Ocean were better.

You might like Kelley Armstrong. I started with her Darkest Powers and Darkness Rising books which are about a group of kids with supernatural powers who are initially placed in a group home and diagnosed with various disorders. They eventually find out they aren't crazy and have extremely boosted powers. They go on the run and are hunted by a cabal. After that, I checked out her Women of the Otherworld series which was pretty good as well. It's aimed more at adults but gives a much deeper look at her supernatural world. Darkest Powers and Darkness Rising tie into this larger story.

Here's one more, but it's definitely aimed at adults. It's the Cassandra Palmer series by Karen Chance. It's about a young woman who was raised by vampires. She's a clairvoyant and the vampire that raised her used her abilities to make a lot of money. She's also a necromancer and can talk to ghosts. She also gains the ability to time travel. It's essentially about her adventures with ghosts, vampires, mages, demons, and gods. There are lots of sex scenes in these, hence why these might not be for everyone. I started reading these at the age of 12, so I don't know what that says about me. I'd like to think it makes me a more mature person, because I handled it just fine. The series starts to drag around book 6, but I still like it.

Okay, one more, and I'm serious this time. If you haven't checked out His Dark Materials, it's worth it in my view. I loved it as a little kid, primarily because of all the worlds. People hate it because it was written by an atheist and is about killing a tyrannical god, but I liked the fantasy elements. Philip Pullman also came out with The Book of Dust series, but based off what I've heard, it probably wouldn't interest me. I don't think it contains the same kind of fantasy elements.

2021-01-28 06:32:44

@Chris, can't believe I forgot about philip Pulman if your talking very good Ya stuff. have you also checked out garth nicks keys to the kingdom series? Actually if your looking for Hp similar books those might also be a good plan, about a boy with asthma who has to enter other worlds to battle their guardians, taking into account most of reality along the way.

Unlike pulman, the enforced atheism is both a bit too blatant, and yet not quite as in your face, as in he freely tells you there is no god, no afterlife and the semi immortals who run the universe do it more because they're beureaucratic cogs in a machine and don't really care about anything outside it, than because God and religion are actually malicious, ---- albeit I'd love to point out to pullman that his definition of "dust", is pretty close to what a lot of people would regard as divine anyway, even if he has actual Yahweh as a bit of a git big_smile.

Iron druid is still one I need to get to, albeit I'll probably finish Rachel aaron's nice dragons series before I do more urban fantasy.

@Camlorn, I wouldn't have counted Gaiman as similar  Rowling or Riorden, which is why I didn't mention him.
That being said, I loved Neverwhere whe I was 15 myself, so, mmm, maybe:D. Stardust is a down right gorgious book, albeit a bit overly short and summary form in some of it's later sections.

Then again, if you want great romance, Dianna wynn jones does that exceptionally well, mostly because she just lets it develop naturally out of her characters and crazy situations, and doesn't stop the hole plot dead because of it.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2021-01-28 07:18:27

Keys to the Kingdom was pretty good, but the ending was... strange!

2021-01-28 17:55:48

@camlorn, right, I am aware, hence my comment concerning the presence of romantic aspects of the book. The problem with City of Bones was that the deliberation happened with all the characters. It wasn't done once, which I thought was interesting, but over, and over, and over... The books contain very little substance beyond those scenes, hence my statement concerning false advertising.

2021-01-28 18:23:52

I actually didn't mind the ending to keys to the kingdom, albeit it was sort of a getout to include both endings at once.

Beware! ending spoilers for garth nicks keys to the kingdom series ahoy!

Nicks managed to combine both the "and it was all a dream and the main character just goes back to their boring everyday life", with the "and the main character literally becomes god!" endings together, then again when your talking about the power to remake universes I suppose that is possible.

In general though, the final book I found a slight disappointment after the buildup, albeit I enjoyed the series, though as I read them in 18 when I was rather unwell, I probably need to read them again.

2021-01-28 18:52:40 (edited by defender 2021-01-28 19:14:11)

@Chris
I agree that authors shouldn't shove their beliefs down the reader's throat unless the motivation of the character to say things like that is well laid out before it happens, or unless the book is in a genre where that would be expected.
However, global warming is sadly a fact, even if predictive models are far from perfect, and the huge majority of scientists all over the world, regardless of political or religious leanings agree that it's going to be a serious problem within the next century, even if they don't agree on many of the specifics.
The earth's environment is a delicate thing, no matter how you believe it was created, and eventually certain events will throw off that balance.  I don't know why that is such an unbelievable concept, given that volcanos and asteroids have done it before in recent centuries... Do you have so little faith in the power of Humanity to effect our reality?  If so, and if you believe in God, isn't that kind of an insult to God's power as we were made in God's image?  After all, maybe this is part of why the second coming is going to happen, because of the short sighted greed and complacency which lead to us destroying the very world that God gave to us to enjoy.

And if you don't believe in global warming specifically, it's still impossible for anyone capable of observation to honestly ignore the damage that pollution does to the environment around us, nor the many first hand stories of those who lived in times before the clean air act or those who currently live in countries without any decent regulations.

Even if you're family or community relies on industries that contribute heavily to it, you can still admit that it's a problem that needs to be improved.  Doing otherwise would simply be sticking your head in the sand and being too afraid to admit the truth because it's easier to live with it that way.

So yeah, pollution is everyone's problem and has been since the start of the industrial age, given that it's directly and indirectly lead to the deaths of millions.  Even an ammature scientist with basic tools can measure it's effects over time.  Therefore it's extremely relevant to the social dialogue, which means that unless the author is writing a character who's a complete robot that also doesn't care about current music, fashion, food, or moral  views, it's probably going to come up at some point.