2021-01-25 20:32:01

Hi all.
So, a few weeks ago, I’ve finished reading the Percy Jackson books. All five of them.
And last summer, I finished read Harry Potter.
What books do you recommend me read after reading these two?
Because I love books of the genre, and I am going through some things and the book help me a lot.
Thanks all.

I am a divine being. I can be called a primordial deity, but that might be pushing it, a smidge. I am the only one of my kind to have ten tails, with others having nine. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I have ascended my own race.

2021-01-25 20:43:56

What about the books of Jenny Nimmo?

2021-01-25 20:56:55

You could try the spellsinger series. The first 6 books, which are the main series, are pretty funny. 7 and 8 aren't as good but that's just me. Graphic Audio did a good adaptation of them, as well.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2021-01-25 21:06:14

if your a harry potter fan and like books about young people and magic, Dianna wynn jones is certainly an author to try.

Extremely funny, dark in places, with a wonderfully offhand writing style, and genre that spans world hopping fantasy, to steampunk, to modern fairy tales, often taking into account some wonderfully weird ideas along the way.

For something Ya her Crestomancy series are worth a look, starting with either Charmed life (going in publication order), or lives of Christopher chant (going in chronlogical order), about an enchanter whose job it is to keep peace around related worlds, including his own, which is sort of like an edwardian version of Britain with steam trains and magic, and occasionally touching on our world.

For something a little older there is her castles series, famously beginning with howl's moving castle (yes, the basis for the Miazaki anime, though the books are very different), a bit mor Ya romance and less of the magic, but worth reading none the less.

My lady and I also just finished her book deep secret, one of only two adult books she wrote, since she tended to believe that books about magic couldn't be aimed at an adult audience (sadly she predated Harry potter), that, along with a sudden wild magic are both also really good, though rather more scatty than most of her output.

If you wanted something a little darker, I can recommend Susanne collins hunger games. yes, these are dystopia rather than magic, but deal with many of the same themes, and work in a much harsher way, albeit be prepared for some shocks and violence and bloody evil monsters.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2021-01-25 21:29:14

if you want books relating to the fantasy side of things i could recommend somethings. When i was younger i used to read this great author by the name of Brandon Mull, in my opinion, him, Rick Riordan and JK Rowling are the best but that could be because I grew up with them. I would recommend you read the 5 Kingdoms Book series along with the Beyonders trilogy, the Fable Haven books and the Spirit Animals series

2021-01-25 21:46:02

thanks.
someone told me that there was another Percy Jaxen series.
that's Percy Jaxen and the olympians, and there's another one I don't know about

I am a divine being. I can be called a primordial deity, but that might be pushing it, a smidge. I am the only one of my kind to have ten tails, with others having nine. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I have ascended my own race.

2021-01-25 22:20:30

you're looking for Trials of Apollo, whatever the one in the middle is, or some of his other stuff.  Go to Goodreads and find whatever authors you like and you can get a full list of their series.  Fair warning though: he does basically exactly the same thing over and over and over and over and...

You may like Young Wizards.  The first book is good. The second book is great.  It's sort of harry Potter and Percy Jackson in a blender plus what if wizards were programmers and also aliens exist. The first book is our two plucky heroes and a sentient white hole travel to an alternate universe New York in which cars are sentient, among other things.  The second book is much darker, but even mentioning the plot is a pretty major spoiler.  It is as crazy and awesome as it sounds, though somewhere around book 6 the quality goes down.

Mortal Engines is about giant cities on wheels that eat each other.  It is also as awesome as it sounds, but with the caveat that once you're well read it's kind of meh.  But judging by where you are/what you're asking for, it may be perfect at this stage.

upping the reading level/age target some, pick basically anything from brandon Sanderson that looks interesting and isn't Stormlight Archive.  A lot of people like Stormlight Archive, but just one book of it is bigger than most trilogies, there's 4 of them all about the same size, and there's going to be 10.  Mistborne is probably what he's most famous for, but he's also got some sci-fi and stuff.

Dragonback by Timothy Zahn is sci-fi in which our hero has a dragon-thing warrior-poet companion that turns into a tattoo and they go on crazy adventures.

To throw random things at the wall which are good but aren't necessarily in line with the theme: Narnia and Lord of the Rings are very influential classics.  The Last Unicorn is good if you're looking for something that's poetic and melancholy and sort of beautiful, and not at all what you'd think it is from the title.  Discworld, which is sold as comedy but kind of isn't (they're stand-alone, thief of time is about history monks who are responsible for making sure time happens, so that's maybe a good place to start).

I could probably throw other things out, but this topic seems to be aiming in a sort-of YA direction and most of what I like isn't being as I'm almost 30 and have been reading a *lot* for 10 years.  but if you want more serious/complex stuff, I can probably come back with things.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2021-01-25 22:25:22

if your going straight from Harry potter and percy jackson, I'd probably not recommend diving straight in to something like Sanderson's mistborn series, much less stormlight, since they're possibly heavier than your looking for.
Skyward is a good bet though, being fast pased and scifi, about a rather hilarious girl living in a society on an alien planet constantly under attack from invaders who finds a special starship ai as her companion.

You might also like Reckoners, sort of silly fast pased stuff about evil versions of super heroes who take over the world.

if you like that sort of thing from Sanderson, then maybe go on to his other stuff and see how you find it.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2021-01-25 23:49:33

hm. I think I will take a look at trials of apollo

2021-01-26 00:10:42

really recommendation michael scott

2021-01-26 00:13:25

before reading the trials of Apollo, you have to read the heroes of Olympus series which is another five books.  They take place shortly after the fifth Pursey Jackson book ends.

I'm probably gonna get banned for this, but...

2021-01-26 01:00:46

At some point I think you should read the stormlight archive, though it is more intense than Harry Potter. The books are quite long, but look at each book as a collection of books. Brandon mull came out with the dragonwatch series, which was basicly a continuation of fablehaven.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2021-01-26 01:20:37

I gave up on Stormlight.  It's good, in the technical sense, but you'll spend forever waiting on the payoff and I'm pretty sure OP is probably young enough that they're not ready for it.  Nothing wrong with being young or anything like that, but stormlight is very grimdark in the "this is an on-screen slave branding" way, and there's very little happiness to be found in it.  For someone who is at Percy Jackson and harry Potter, it's probably a bit like killing a puppy for like 300000 words a book.

My Blog

2021-01-26 01:50:35

I dont know how old op is, but I think stormlight would be appropriate if he was like  above 13-14. There isn't inappropriate content like too many sex scenes or  such. The series does start slow due to worldbuilding, but it  gets very epic beyond a certain point.  Especially in the latar half of book1, and the other books, it has many epic scenes, as well as battles.  But the happiest scenes I think are scenes  where a main character discovers something about themselves or the world,  or  reaches acceptance of some aspect of themselves.
I did read mistborn, though first era so far, it seemed alot more shallow in character development  and more mediocre compared to stormlight, though that probably was because it was written before the stormlight books.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2021-01-26 02:57:05

I'm not saying I think it's age-inappropriate.  I'm the last person who will ever call something age-inappropriate. My parents would have freaked if they'd known what I was reading at 14, but being blind has advantages and they were too glad I was reading to check beyond that.

Nothing wrong with trying it, but if someone mentions Percy Jackson and harry Potter Sanderson comes to mind, but Stormlight Sanderson...doesn't.  It's way different than all his other stuff.

My Blog

2021-01-26 02:58:57 (edited by defender 2021-01-26 02:59:22)

I would suggest Alcatraz and the evil librarians.  It's a good way to get into the vibrant worlds and characters of Brandon Sanderson without diving into something like the Stormlight archive, and it follows the same young male magic user trope of the Harry Potter and Percy Jackson series.
It's a bit sad at times, but also quite funny.  It's a young adult book probably aimed at mature 14-year-olds approximately, but I read it at 23 and still enjoyed it.

2021-01-26 03:19:05

Well, reading books beyond one's age can be benefitial. I remember reading the garden of paradise by anderson at 7, though it most definately isn't an adult faerie tale, it was at least age 11-12 reading. It is true though   Stormlight is totally different from mistborn. It is rather higher level reading than his other books I think.
But if you are looking for young adult fiction, Brandon Mull is a good pick. His series are good.

2021-01-26 03:53:04

If magic is the theme, I'm just gonna throw a couple things at the wall here. lol
The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare.
The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher.
The 20-sided Sorceress by Annie Bellet.

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2021-01-26 04:47:15

You could read the other books by Rick Ryordan, he has a few series published besides Percy Jackson. You should read The Cane Chronicles, it's basically the same concept but with the egyptian gods. There is also Magisterium by Cassandra Clare, it's very similar to Harry Potter, you even have a school of magic that's pretty cool.

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King

2021-01-26 06:58:42 (edited by Chris 2021-01-26 07:02:41)

You might like Skulduggery Pleasant. I personally think it blows Harry Potter and Percy Jackson out of the water! It's about a living skeleton who teams up with a 12-year old girl called Stephanie Edgley. They're mainly trying to keep evil sorcerers and gods from destroying the world. I recommend checking out the first 3 books just to see how you like it. It combines humor, mystery, and fantasy very nicely, and the books get better as you progress. The first 9 books are awesome! The newer books are okay as long as you ignore the political correctness bullshit Derek Landy shoehorns.

The Young Wizards series by Diane Duane isn't bad either. I've gone through the first 9 books and am trying to decide if I want to read 10. I like the concept of combining magic with the science of the universe, but they get harder and harder to read starting with book 6 as has been said.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2021-01-26 14:13:19

OP is 17, if that helps.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2021-01-26 15:15:21 (edited by Kitsune 2021-01-26 16:48:18)

@21, er,
he speaks the truth.
well actually I will be 17 this year.

2021-01-26 17:28:20

@20
yeah.  I think she tried to demonstrate growing up and tried to shift the books to a higher target age or something and then just totally failed hard.  She should have stuck to what she was good at, rather than turning wizardry into a job with cool perks and dragging out the series.  If you're debating continuing it, I wouldn't.  Stop at Wizards at War, in my opinion.  That would have made a very good end to the series and ties up most of the plot lines as well.

My Blog

2021-01-26 20:43:41 (edited by Jeffb 2021-01-26 21:09:56)

The Percy Jackson books are connected to 2 other series The Heroes of Olympus, and The Trials of Apollo so you're not done yet. There's also Magnus Chase and as someone else mentioned the Kane Chronicles. I also suggest The Inkheart trilogy by Cornelia Funke, The Bartimaeus Sequence by Jonathan Stroud, and Septimus Heap by Angie Sage. Also Ready Player 1 and Ready Player 2 by Ernest Cline. If you want something darker check out The Red Rising Saga by Pierce Brown it's not complete yet but there are 5 books so far. Also Chaos Walking series by Patrick Ness.

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2021-01-26 21:29:34

All of Rick Riordan's young adult series' are connected in some way, but apart from the main Percy Jackson line, the connections are usually small. Basically the universe they are set in has different pantheons of gods taking dominion over different parts of America or the world. So Magnus Chase has some connection to percy Jackson (think about the last name) but it's not needed to read one series to read the other. But it might make you more interested to read Magnus Chase.