2021-01-22 19:09:12 (edited by redfox 2021-01-22 19:09:34)

Do other languages have capitals, or something similar? I mean, they have to have something similar, otherwise how would they have names or have things stand out. This is probably really stupid, but I was kind of curious.

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“You don’t tell me how to behave; you’re not my mother!”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2021-01-22 19:16:17

Sure, german has them. We actually use them even more than in English. We capitalise sentence beginnings and propper names like in english, but we also capitalise all nouns in general.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2021-01-22 19:17:20

Yeah, that was something I always forgot when I was studying german.

2021-01-22 19:17:43

for example a similarity of japanese and english is that some japanese words sound english, the same for some spanish words like piano (it is pronounced very similar) vocal (this one is pronounced diferently in spanish) and others

if you want to post language resources and see other's language resources, click here in the language learning resources thread: https://forum.audiogames.net/post/826634/#p826634

2021-01-22 19:18:03

Yeah, romanian has it as well, we use them like in english.

2021-01-22 19:23:01

Well I believe most if not all languages based on the Latin (most probably Cyrillic as well) alphabet have the concept of capitalization at the beginning of sentences or when it comes to proper nouns and the like. As for my mother tongue, Arabic, it has no such thing, although I for one still can't understand why the form of letters belonging to that very alphabet changes depending on the letter's location within the word, how our folks are accustomed to reading from right to left (which obviously is inapplicable for Braille) or even how they connect letters to one another, although I have no interest to understand any of these concepts since it doesn't look like I'll be using them in the future if at all.

2021-01-22 19:42:48

I'm only fluent in 3 languages and English is the only one.

2021-01-22 19:53:29

if that was some sort of joke well I guess I'll have to r/woooooosh myself

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2021-01-22 20:37:30

I don't know how capitals are related to multilingualism but anyway, I speak Albanian as a mother tongue, English fluently and German at a considerably good level and also speak Italian at almost level B1, and out of these three, German has a quite strange capitalisation rule, since all the nouns, regardless of their type (proper, concrete, abstract) have to be capitalised. It took me long to acquire this rule. So John, Wind, Car, AMerica, Cat, are all written in capitals.

2021-01-23 12:18:31

Yeah ...most if not all Latin alphabet-based languages will have them in some form, I'd say German uses them most often but then I don't know all capitalization rules for all latin-based languages. I've seen some African languages where proper names are in all caps, that intrigued me when I first saw it.
Asian languages like Mandarin and Japanese don't have capitals and often no real spaces between words either, using other ways of literary expression to serve the same function.

2021-01-23 13:06:55 (edited by ogomez92 2021-01-23 13:07:11)

Yes, German has weird capitalization rules. Spanish is very similar to English. But we have signs for opening questionmark and exclamation point, like: ¡Hello! ¿How are you today?

ReferenceError: Signature is not defined.

2021-01-23 13:33:36

Hindi doesn't have any capitals, though it does have symbols like comma, and question mark. aside from that, when it comes to spacing, it is just like English.

Japanese doesn't have any spaces, and the foreign words are written in katakana.

2021-01-24 01:00:31

I don't remember the history of capital letters right off, but they're related to manuscripts, in other words books where everything was written or copied by hand. But also in manuscripts, words were often written without spaces. Fun fact, the "X" in Xmas is actually a Christian abbreviation from manuscripts, where X represented the Greek letter chi, which also looks like an X, the first letter of Christ in Greek. It was used to save space, because paper and other writing materials were valuable, not to mention saving some labor. If I recall rightly, capital letters were often decorated as well, and made fairly large.

2021-01-24 06:08:19

no capital letters in Persian.

:)

2021-01-24 10:21:22 (edited by Magnus 2021-01-26 13:07:29)

Wall of text coming up.
I searched about nouns in German, and here is what I got.
As @Connor and others said, the German language, unlike English, uses cases. Cases show what tense a particular noun is in (Case = Subject, Direct Object, Indirect Object, Possessive). German capitalizes the nouns for the reader, so that we can easily identify them while we're reading. Instantly when we look at a German text, we know what word is a noun. Once we know what word is a noun, we can look at the definite (der, die, das) or indefinite (ein, eine) articles to see what case the noun is in (Nominative/Subject, Accusative/Direct Object, Dative/Indirect Object.

Coming to capital letters in English.
Capital letters in Modern English derive from an Old Roman script used in the a.d. 200s. In those days, all caps was all there was! Lowercase letters hadn’t been invented yet, so capital letters were used for everything.
People have been using all caps for thousands of years—not to shout at everyone, but to convey “grandeur,” “pomposity,” or “aesthetic seriousness.” These uppercase letters were called majuscule, which evokes their majestic functions.
Because everything was hand-written in those days, there was soon a need to write books and documents more quickly. Scribes developed a smaller, rounded script that enabled them to speed up the writing process. This script was called miniscule, kind of like a Mini-Me version of majuscule (except with several letter-shape variations).
Scribes didn’t mix majuscule and miniscule at first, but they realized that capital letters attracted the eye. So, they used ornate majuscule letters in the first word on every page and to begin new paragraphs. Capital letters really “CAP”-tivated attention.

Also, I heard that spaces were not used while writing the text earlier. I Don't remember for which language was it.
So I tried to check upon this, and found out that capital letters are used in which languages and in which languages they're not used. I was able to check for 50 to 65 languages. Here is the list. I am not putting the languages one after comma, but putting them one after the other.

African: Capital letters are used.
Albanian: Capital letters are used
Arabic: Capital letters not used.
Armenian: Capital letters not used.
Azerbaijani (latin): Capital letters are used.
Bangla: Probably no.
Basque: Yes.
Belarusian: No capital letters.
Bosnian (Latin): Yes
Bulgarian: No
Burmese: No
Catalan: Capital letters are used.
Cebuano: Capital letters are used.
Chichewa: Capital letters are used.
Chinese: Capital letters not used.
Creole Haiti: Capital letters are used.
Croatian: Capital letters are used.
Czech: Capital letters are used.
Danish: Capital letters are used.
Dutch: Capital letters are used.
English: Capital letters are used. All of us know. Right?
Esperanto: Capital letters are used.
Estonian: Capital letters are used.
Finnish: Capital letters are used.
French: Capital letters are used. Also, alphabets like á é í ó ú are used.
Galician: Capital letters are used.
German: Capital letters are used.
Georgian: Capital letters are not used.
Greek: Capital letters are not used.
Gujarati: Capital letters are not used.
Hebrew: Capital letters are not used.
Hindi: No capital letters are used. However, we have things like Halant, which makes the word a bit longer, and Nukta. We use spaces like other languages, and rest of the things are same as other languages I guess.
Hmong: Capital letters are used.
Hungarian: Capital letters are used.
Icelandic: Capital letters are used.
Igbo: Capital letters are used.
Indonesian: Capital letters are used.
Irish: Capital letters are used.
Italian: Capital letters are used.
Japanese: Capital letters are not used.
Javanese: Capital letters are used.
Kannada: Capital letters are not used.
Kazakh: Capital letters are not used.
Khmer: Capital letters are not used.
Kiswahili: Capital letters are used.
Korean: Capital letters are not used.
Lao: Capital letters are not used.
Latin: Capital letters are used.
Latvian: Capital letters are used.
Lithuanian: Capital letters are used.
Macedonian: Capital letters are not used.
Malagasy: Capital letters are used.
Malay: Capital letters are used.
Malayalam: Capital letters are not used.
Maltese: Capital letters are used.
Maori: Capital letters are used.
Marathi: Capital letters are not used.
Mongolian: Capital letters are not used.
Nepali: Capital letters are not used.
Norwegian Bokmål: Capital letters are used.
Persian: No capital letters are used.
Polish: Capital letters are used.
Portuguese: Capital letters are used. Acute accent is common in the language. Test: Olá. Eu espero que você esteja bem. Estou bem obrigado. Hello. How are you I am fine thanks. ê and á letters are used.
Punjabi: Capital letters are not used.
Romanian: Capital letters are used.
Russian: Capital letters are used.
Serbian (Latin): Capital letters are not used.
Sesotho: Capital letters are used.
Sinhala: Capital letters are not used.
Slovak: Capital letters are used.
Slovenian: Capital letters are used.
Somali: Capital letters are used.
Spanish: Capital letters are used. All the alphabets are same, but one more letter is used and that is, Ñ,. Español.
Swedish. Capital letters are used.
Tagalog: Capital letters are used.
Telugu: Capital letters are not used.
Tamil: Capital letters are not used.
Turkish: Capital letters are used.
Ukrainian: Capital letters are not used.
Urdu: Capital letters are not used.
Vietnamese: Capital letters are used.

2021-01-24 11:39:47

Hi.
Since persian letters are adapted from Arabic, Persian doesn't have capitalization

All the best,
Adel, Akbari.

2021-01-24 12:35:51

@post 15, Actually the capitalisation of nouns in German doesn't have to do by and large with the desire of someone who developed these rules to ease the destinction of the position of nouns in a sentence; it is in fact, something that had to do with the writing of the Bible in German. If one wants to distinguish the position of a noun in a sentence in German, he/she can do it without capitalisation. It is also for this reason why they invented so many words which makes the acquisition of the German vocabulary tremendously hard. If you're learning English, you're not really learning a language of the Germanic family. German has and has not at the same time anything to do with the English language. If you take many words that are common across Latin-bassed languages, you will find that only a small minority of those words have entered the German language.

2021-01-25 02:00:06

Ooo good to know there are more people who speak multiple languages! I agree with what has already been said here. Latin-based languages certainly have a concept of lowercase and uppercase characters. It also depends on what language family from which the language is derived. Sino-Tibetan languages, for example, would not have this concept as their characters are ideographic in nature.

2021-01-25 07:09:51

English is absolutely a Germanic language. You can tell because most of the basic words are solidly Germanic. Old English, or Anglo-Saxon, borrowed a lot of Latin, it's true, but if you saw it, it would look a lot more like German. Here's some, so you can see it.

Ur byþ anmod ond oferhyrned,
felafrecne deor, feohteþ mid hornum
mære morstapa; þæt is modig wuht.

Here's some Middle English, which was the successor to Old English.

Nightes when I wende and wake,
Forthy min wonges waxeth won;
Levedy, all for thine sake
Longinge is ylent me on.
In world nis non so witer mon
That al hire bounte telle con;
Hire swire is whittore then the swon,
And feirest may in towne.

Early Modern English is Shakespeare or the King James Bible, for example. Middle English was the start of a lot more Latin borrowing, via Norman French. That's because Norman French was the language of the nobility and law, as opposed to Old English, which was the language of the common people conquered by the Normans. Old English in particular had cases, like German. Nowadays most cases are gone, except for whom and a few other words. But note that Early Modern English thou is the equivalent of Ger. du. The verbs even worked the same, e.g. thou runnest, du rennst. English has certainly borrowed from a lot of other languages. But the base of it, which includes a lot of words and the grammar, are completely Germanic.

2021-01-25 10:21:42

@15 I am sorry to contradict you but Romanian deffinitely uses capitalization. It is my native language and I am quite familiar with it's grammar and structure. We use capital letters for propper nouns mostly and at the beginning of sentences.
I was really surprised that you mentioned Romanian as a language that doesn't use capitalization since it is a latin language and due to some of it's particularities, such as the deffinite article being at the end of the noun, some scholars would say it is the most similar language to latin.

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King

2021-01-25 13:13:13

@20, can you elaborate more on that? I can't see many similarities between English and German besides nouns/adjective position or some uncommon grammatical structures.
So if we take the sentence: He is a highly talented actor, which in German is Er ist ein hochtalentierter Schauspieler, where can you see the similarities which are specific only to these two languages besides noun/adjective rule?
We can take this sentence: I didn't go to the university because it was closed. In German: Ich bin nicht zur Universität gegangen, weil die geschlossen war. If we literally translate this sentence from German, it is I haven't to university gone because it closed was, which is completely unnatural to say.
I can think of very few grammatical structures in English, for instance it is correct to say, although it is uncommon, I'm not sure if the shop open is. In German that would be: Ich bin mir nicht sicher, ob der Laden geöffnet ist.
There are also suffixes which are borrowed from German, such as /Un/, as in unfriendly (unfreundlich).
It is however true that the origin of the English language is Germanic, since many words which stand for the very basic and most fundamental organisation of society which was family, have preserved their German origin, such as in Father, mother, brother, sister, grandparents, Uncle, but it has anyway evolved to a point where it could be highly disputed if the base is Latin or Germanic, provided that we didn't have the historic facts.

2021-01-25 17:26:40

I do understand English is a Germanic language. That's why I said it is Latin-based, as in, it uses the Latin alphabet. Perhaps clarification would've been helpful. The Latin alphabet influenced many European families of languages. And going back further, Latin alphabet was influenced by Egyptian hieroglyphs. I find this all very interesting. And of course, due to colonization, undeniably, now the Latin alphabet is pretty much used all over the world!

2021-01-25 23:41:16

The Latin alphabet wasn't influenced by Egyptian hieroglyphics, or if it was, it was incredibly indirect. The alphabet as we know it is typically understood to go back to a Semitic language, Phoenician to be exact.

Re:  English as a Germanic language

You really have to go back to Old English to see this. For instance, German verbs don't do infinitives like we do, "to eat", they have endings, essen, gehen. Actually so far as I know the only ending is -en. In Old English, you had two endings, e.g. etan to eat, gan to go, or ascian to ask, interestingly, axian was also to ask and aks was an accepted verb in literary English until, I believe, the 17--s. I think, though I'm not a hundred percent certain about this, that the different verbal endings had to do with strong and weak verbs, -an was for strong verbs and -ian was for weak verbs. Weak verbs are regular, e.g. he asks, he asked. Strong verbs change, he is going, he went.

Like modern German, Old English had cases. These are changes that occur in nouns when they do certain things, which are too complicated to get into unless somebody really wants me to. So the basic word for stone in Old English was stan, but it might become stanum in certain situations. Stone is stein in German, there's a vowel change but otherwise, it's the same word. Similarly, Eng. for, Ger. vor. German people feel free to correct me because my German was years ago, I can't find an online dictionary, and I've also started learning Pennsylvania Deitsch which is its own dialect.

Old English also did compound words, like modern German. For instance, the Old English verse I posted previously was a verse from the Old English Rune Poem. In it we see the words oferhyrned, lit. overhorned, i.e. it has really big horns, and morstapa, lit. moor -stepper. A lot of the basic words we use are of Germanic origin. For example in that last sentence we have a, lot, of, the, words, we, are.

Some things are obscured by pronunciation or spelling changes. For instance, ship comes from Old English scip, the initial 'sc' was prounced 'sh', like Ger. 'sch'. Knight is from OE cniht, the initial 'c' sound was pronounced and always hard. This still occurs in German, e.g. Knipe. I'm not up enough on Anglo-Saxon or German grammar to compare the two, but suffice to say, our grammar is solidly Germanic.  Hope this helps, and bother me with further questions. If I don't know, I'll see if I can do some research and find out, all of this is off the top of my head mostly.

2021-01-26 00:03:30

Sorry Germans, that should be Kneipe shouldn't it? What we Americans call a bar and the Brits call a pub?

Also, let's compare the words for day. In Old English it was dæg, the 'ae' character is like the 'a' in that and the 'g' would get pronounced like a 'y' in modern English, because it follows a vowel. In Dutch it's dag, in German Tag, in Old Norse dagr, and dags in Gothic. So you can see this word exists all across the Germanic languages.

2021-01-26 00:47:38

I know about Phoenician. But even Phoenician has its basis in hieroglyphs.
This is an interesting video to watch about history of Latin alphabets.
Anyway, regardless of where English comes from, or Latin script, admittedly, it's all very interesting and I do wish I could have studied linguistics more in depth. But I'm only a language speaker with knowledge of 7 languages. Also, the Langfocus channel on YouTube is a good one to subscribe to if you're into this stuff.