2021-01-19 06:05:46

Hello...
Me and a friend are working on a website together, and it's coming along great so far. The problem is, everything feels super bland somehow. The site is relatively simple, which is good, but something feels stiff and kind of high-school computer classish about it. Now sure, I could probably hire someone to go in and touch it up, but I don't have a whole lot of money, and I'd also like to do things myself. I've gotten this far with it, after all. If someone could give me some helpful tips on how to improve things around here, I'd sure appreciate it. Here's the link to the website. I'm willing to take any advice you might have, whether it be telling me some nice flavorful things I could add to it or letting me know of a more up-to-date way I could perform a certain task. You guys are pretty smart, so I thought I'd ask here first. Have a good evening everyone! big_smile

--------------------
All of my socials and content platforms can be found on my website (not ready yet).

2021-01-19 09:05:00

Hi.

Your podcast page should say, be they blind or otherwise instead of them.

I'd recommend a contact us page.

Perhaps a who we are page.

Apart from that; I'd say the site's completely fine, you could add fancy things like a script thing to tell people how many people have visited the site if you like but I don't kno how to do that so can't help there.

I'm gone for real :)

2021-01-19 09:22:56

From a presentation standpoint, you could consider centering the text beneath your menu bar and sticking the copyright and update text near the bottom of the page. There's examples for that [here] and [here].

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2021-01-19 13:15:54

hay, A bit off topic, but @1, what ever happened to the Shadow Rine translation?

I am a divine being. I can be called a primordial deity, but that might be pushing it, a smidge. I am the only one of my kind to have ten tails, with others having nine. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I have ascended my own race.

2021-01-19 14:59:04

yeah. as @2 said, add it. just pick a value in a databas and increase it when a user visit's a page. then display it any where you wan't to show the visiters count

if you like this post, please thum it up!
if you like to see my projects, feel free to check out my github
if you want to contact me, you can do here by skype. or you can follow me on twitter: @bhanuponguru
discord: bhanu#7882

2021-01-19 19:04:59

Thank you everyone for the tips. I'm working on all of these right now. Also @Gaki_shonen, it's a very slow work-in-progress, though if we want to talk more about this I recommend we take the discussion to PM, or better yet, we can bring up the old topic for the translation project.

--------------------
All of my socials and content platforms can be found on my website (not ready yet).

2021-01-19 19:55:15 (edited by Dan Gero 2021-01-19 20:08:45)

Update. The alignment on the site is mostly working now. The biggest problem right now is the footer. Something on the footer is covering up something else, and I'm not too sure how to fix this. It's fine for us; we have screen readers so we can read the website anyway. Unfortunately, sighted people won't be able to read it properly do to this weird overriding text. Oh well, I guess the footer really isn't that big a deal. big_smile
I didn't add the visitor counter yet, because unfortunately my knowledge with SQL databases is flaky at best. I have always struggled with SQL for some reason. I'll have to put off the visitor counter for later.

--------------------

2021-01-19 20:14:30

@Dan_Gero, Can't you just add a few blank lines and call it a day to stop the objects overlapping?

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (@Minionslayer0). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Mastodon at @Minionslayer.

2021-01-19 20:29:09

You do have a point there, but wouldn't that confuse people? Make them think there's nothing left on the page when there actually is?

--------------------

2021-01-20 00:46:38

do you have discord?

I am a divine being. I can be called a primordial deity, but that might be pushing it, a smidge. I am the only one of my kind to have ten tails, with others having nine. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I have ascended my own race.

2021-01-20 00:55:47

Yeah, I do. I sent you a PM.

--------------------

2021-01-20 04:25:10 (edited by magurp244 2021-01-20 04:32:01)

There's a tip on how to fix the footer issue [here], you can space each line by putting in a line break in combination with it as well.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2021-01-24 07:35:29

Update. Thanks to magurp244, the footer should hopefully be fixed. I also made another podcast, and I made the website open sourced, and realized that I have been spelling source wrong this entire time. big_smile Either way, here's the link to the Git Hub page.

--------------------