2021-01-08 21:16:37

Hello,

most of us in last time, plays a main stream games using nvda lion addon. All of these games is rpg or action genre. I'm interested does any try to play some strategy games on pc? I consider to try several titles but firstly i wish to hear for us which strategy have chances to be accessible or playable? Personaly i would like to try games such as europa universalis, hearts of iron 4, king crussader 3 etc. But if any know game which have more chances to be accessible please post here...

2021-01-08 22:24:31 (edited by zkline 2021-01-08 22:30:24)

Hey,

I've had luck playing EU4, Stellaris, and Crusader Kings using a combination of OCR and Golden Cursor bookmarks. It's difficult, but can be done, though the map is the worst part of most of these games. Stellaris is probably easiest, just because you don't need to interact on the star system map a lot, but it still requires patience and the bookmarks have to match your screen resolution, which is tedious.

2021-01-08 23:23:12

Oh thanks a lot on this information. Probably because all of these game is from one studio paradox interactive, i hope that hearts of iron 4 will be partialy accessible. Olso i will try stelaris too. I must download golden cursor. Oh and did you use nvda ocr i mean by pressing nvda +r or lion addon?

2021-01-08 23:50:23

Sorry for double posting but: Skline, olso, if you can please post here your opinion about accessibility of these games. I will purchase stelaris to try and i'm interest is it been playable for totaly blind person or only for persons which are visualy impaired?

2021-01-09 00:23:43

Milos,

I used NVDA OCR, though I know the add-on works with it as well. I just never could be bothered trying to set it up.

Hearts of Iron IV is probably not going to work as well, because it has parts of the UI which require you to drag and drop on the map, and draw things like battle plans for your armies. I never had much luck with it, but it's admittedly the one I tried to work with least.

My order of experience for these games is Stellaris, EU4/CK3, and HOI4/Vic2/all the other Paradox games.

I've been trying to get them to look into screen reader accessibility for years. Given how many tooltips the games use, it's definitely possible.

At one point, I had a contact with one of the developers behind EU4, who was going to look into integrating proper screen reader support, but we lost touch and it never really went anywhere.

2021-01-09 00:24:31

No worries for the double post. I am totally blind.

2021-01-09 00:47:04

Hmm if i make a contact with one of developer, can you explain to him technicaly details about accessibility, screen reader support etc etc. I have possibility to make a contact, but i do not know about programing, screenreaders and accessibility. For this purpose i need one volonteer who know much about this thinks and wish to explain to developers how it work and give suggestions to increase accessibility.

2021-01-09 01:48:39

Milos,

I'm more than happy to explain some of this stuff. I work in accessibility professionally, not as a developer, but still. I just would hope that we don't accidentally alienate a developer as has happened here before.

2021-01-09 01:48:58

Hi:

Which rpgs work with Lion? I tried it with one strategy or civilization game--can't remember which one. I was able to read the tutorial screen but didn't bother going any farther.

When the wandering fire strikes the heart of stone, will you follow? Will you take ... the longest road?
Guy Gavriel Kay

discord: tayo134

2021-01-09 08:48:32

I  havent tryed but mabey total war rome2 i  dout it though. and i  also dout you've herd of this one. it's really. like really kool stratagy game. you can play online up to 4v4. so howand alot other barbarryan factions. it's fricking awesome. i'm hooked on videos of it rite now lol. it works is you bring diffrent armys like rome sparta

Bach is an astronomer, discovering the most marvelous stars. Beethoven challenges the universe. I only try to express the soul and the heart of man."
― Frederic Chopin.

2021-01-09 09:29:47

Hmm I 'm not sure about games in which gameplay is based on map. This kind of game is hard to be accessible, but we will see. Skline says that stelars is easiest to play because you do not need to interact with system map.

2021-01-09 17:44:26

Milos,

What I meant by that comment was that you don't need to click on individual planets and moons very often, as you can manage all of that from either the outliner or the main star's context menu. You can still interact with the system map to send ships to places by following hyperlanes manually, which is still useful to get a feel for the layout of the larger galaxy.

2021-01-09 20:13:00

Oh Skline, i wish to congratulate to you, for me, stelaris is so complicated. I can not send a ship on survey mission. But i will continue to try. Also, i will try to make contact with developers and we will see is it possible to increase accessibility for us. And one more thinks: in future, if you sometimes have enough free time, please make any audio or textual guide, playthrought or something like that, how you play any of paradox games.

2021-01-09 20:52:38

Oh i want to share with us some of my opinion about accessibility of hearts of iron 4. I succed to start a game, choose scenario and country, set a focus, navigate through the map. I mean that navigating through the map will be unaccessible but i will try, i move with arrows and doing ocr, and hear: for example: forrest, province name arhangelsk, ovner Soviet union etc etc. On that way, navigation is accessible, but for easiest navigating, player must know basics of the geography. I have one question: is it possible to scrol, when i doing ocr? I will explain: When i start the game and must to choose country, i see only several countries, Japan, Usa, Uk, Germany and Italy. But from playing this game with my friend i know that is possible to choose all countries. Probably I must to scrool down to see other countries. Game give much information on screen and scroling is important thinks in game. But when i doing ocr that is not complete, because some informations is not visible at the screen in this moment.