2020-12-22 01:00:27

I thought Samsung was switching to normal Talkback entirely.  Did that not happen yet?

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2020-12-22 01:06:50

It happened, sort of. They're forking it and doing their own stuff with it now.
Also @25, you do realize that short of actually checking your phone there's really no way she could know, right? + the bill only covers the sim inside the phone, as well as possibly the original price for the unit if she spread the cost, but either way what happens to the phone won't in any way effect your contract. I've transferred my own sim so many times it's somewhat unreal, and no, I don't pay my phone bill, yet.

2020-12-22 01:07:04

In all this fun stuff, let's not forget the enigmatic Fuchsia.

-----
I have code on GitHub

2020-12-22 01:37:49

Yeah. I don't even know what to think of Fuchsia honestly, other than that Google is probably hoping to eventually get rid of some of the underlying parts of Android.  Android's beta-ness shows all over, so it's not surprising.  But also Google has the whole thing about working on side projects at work so it's quite possible it's a few devs who think it'd be cool to do, or who even knows.

My Blog

2020-12-22 01:54:48

@27, The phone is paid off, so it's not like I'd be voiding any warranties. But with some of the things I'd change, I think she'd notice. Also, with the iOS 14.3 checkra1n jailbreak, you can't have passcode and Face ID. If unc0ver comes out with something I may get it. I just know how my mom would be if she found it though. She is afraid that it would mess up the phone

2020-12-22 02:25:02

I just should point out that your mom isn't wrong on this one.  jailbreaking can definitely mess up the phone.

My Blog

2020-12-22 06:20:58

@31, not really. I mean, sure it can *technically* mess up the phone, a bit like how poring a kettle can technically go very badly wrong if you don't have good reaction times and / or a liquid level indicator or whatever. Or how making a teeny tiny typo when using the dd command on linux can potentially erase your entire operating system. Or how doing just about anything in the windows registry can... I think you get the idea. I'd hope that anyone going into jailbreaking has taken the time to understand the risks involved, and is willing to accept the fact that yeah, maybe something might break and they might have to fix it.
Something I do feel bares mentioning, though, is that it's literally impossible for jailbreaking to completely render a phone unusable. I mean, doing stupid things like unplugging the phone in the middle of the process can be a hole other can of worms, but aside from that, you have Itunes. You have recovery mode, and the ability to roll back. Ditto on android, you can always flash the standard bootloader at any time, remove magisk's packages, etc. And like I said earlier, the contract only really extends to the sim it's associated with.

2020-12-22 06:53:24

@32, if you haven't read the contract you can't say that for certain. You should verify that before you go believing that. I'd strongly guarantee there's something about the hardware in there.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2020-12-22 07:10:05

@32
Yes, it's *fairly* safe.  But fairly comes with the caveat that it's entirely reasonable for whoever actually owns the phone to say "don't do this", it does void warranties, and there are unrecoverable states you can get iPhones into (at which point, of course, you voided the warranty).  My point isn't don't do it so much as it is that mom isn't making any sort of unreasonable demand at all.

My Blog

2020-12-22 07:11:33

how do i do this with an ipod running ios 6 on windows. and that just shows its old right their

i am a system, i have headmates, and that is my life, and my discord is rings2006wilson#8609

2020-12-22 07:31:39

@Ethin, that's only the fine print. My point was that regardless of what happens to the phone, if you have a sim, you're contract is still very much valid, and when you're due for a renewal, you'll be able to get 1 because the price for the phone on the contract would have been paid off already, regardless of which phone is actually being used with the sim. Broadly speaking, carriers don't give a shit about what you do so long as they get their money.
@Camlorn, fair enough. I suppose it just erks me to see people like Rich's mum seemingly trying to be all high and mighty when they clearly have no idea what they're talking about.

2020-12-22 16:10:43

as long as there are custom ROMS out there, I wouldn't worry about android and walls

:)

2020-12-22 19:12:27

@25 Android is never going to get that closed. I did move the Sim from an iPhone 7 Plus to an Moto G Stylus. it is tided to the sim not the phone.

2020-12-22 23:20:40

Well, if Samsung gets braille keyboard by the time I switch my phone, maybe. I just want wireless charging and braille keyboard. Those are my two main features. Pixel devices don't have wireless charging so I wouldn't go with one of those

2020-12-22 23:59:18

this is a joke? right...

meet the eternal legend, accessibility group for games and applications in Brazil. main group to bring accessible games to the blind.
official website    
our discord server
youtube channel

2020-12-23 00:25:36

@39, wrong on both counts I'm afraid.

2020-12-23 00:34:20

At 35 what do you mean, jailbreaking? Depends on the version of iOS 6 you have installed, go check and then use google, you find everything there.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2020-12-23 01:09:47

@41, which pixels do have it? My Pixel 3A doesn't.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2020-12-23 01:35:18

I'd imagine that's because plastic. I know my 3 does have it, as well as the 3XL and probably others.

2020-12-23 04:21:50

Oh yeah it also has to be supported for a decent period of time. I don't want to upgrade every three years because my phone won't get the newest update. The only way I will get rid of my X is either if Apple stops pushing software updates, or something happens to the phone that makes it unusable

2020-12-23 04:24:40

unfortunately that’s the way of the android world unless you want to flash custom ROMs for a while after that. I haven’t really heard of a phone that runs android that is supported for more than two/three years. Don’t quote me on this but I think that the new pixel devices are going to be supported for five years

2020-12-23 04:43:14

If the newer pixels have wireless charging, maybe I'll get one when it's my upgrade time. Hopefully though, Samsung will listen to its users and bring back Braille Keyboard

2020-12-23 06:23:17 (edited by TheGreatCarver 2020-12-23 19:49:19)

Rich_Beardsley wrote:

Pixel devices don't have wireless charging so I wouldn't go with one of those

Yes, they do. Look at the Pixel 5.

The Beast continued its studies with renewed Focus, building great Reference works and contemplating new Realities. The Beast brought forth its followers and acolytes to create a renewed smaller form of itself and, through Mischievous means, sent it out across the world.
from The Book of Mozilla, 6:27

2020-12-23 06:27:18

The Pixel4 also has wireless charging.

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2020-12-23 12:52:14

Was there only one Pixel without it?