2020-12-22 16:45:36

Hey all,
So I still have copies of the original hunger games books on Itunes from when I bought them way back when. I have the new narrations on audible, however am really not a fan of them at all, and would like to get the originals on my VR trek, somehow. Any way this can be done?

2020-12-22 16:51:58

What file formats are they? Are you able to just convert them?

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (@Minionslayer0). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Mastodon at @Minionslayer.

2020-12-22 17:24:51

I'll have to check, but I'm almost certain they contain DRM of some description. That seems to go with the territory these days.

2020-12-22 18:15:45

Yup, upon closer inspection, they appear to be encrypted .m4b files. Fucking typical.

2020-12-22 18:18:57

Is that not considered reproducing files and thus against policy? If not, then I asume there's nothing to do for it if they're encrypted.

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“You don’t tell me how to behave; you’re not my mother!”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2020-12-22 18:48:50

I'm fairly certain that decrypting said files from said format is considered illegal.

Dreaming of a dystopian future.

2020-12-22 18:55:57

@6 is correct, personally I would stick with the Audible versions or I can get them on Bard and Book Share here in the US.

2020-12-22 18:59:35

I am aware of methods for removing iTunes decryption, but they're fairly time-consuming and may involve dodgy software that I would never install on my machines (hence why I've never tried decrypting .M4Bs). Besides, I'm guessing that if I were to expound further, I might violate forum rules. I'd suggest you look for CD copies of the old Hunger Games audiobooks and rip them to disk.

The Beast continued its studies with renewed Focus, building great Reference works and contemplating new Realities. The Beast brought forth its followers and acolytes to create a renewed smaller form of itself and, through Mischievous means, sent it out across the world.
from The Book of Mozilla, 6:27

2020-12-22 19:11:05

Stripping drm for your own use as oppposed to reproduction is a legal gray-area, thanks in part to the fact that unfair play and vendor lock-in is the new motivation for DRM that far exceeds antipiracy. However, you can get books off of GooglePlay audiobooks that come as drm-free m4a files. THey sadly come with no chapter stops, but it sure as hell beats being locked out of your own book.

2020-12-22 19:15:31

I know when I want to put my audible books on my stream, I convert them with inaudible. I'm not gonna provide a link, but I'm pretty sure the software can be found. Not sure if it'll decrypt iTunes books though.

Prier practice and preparation prevents piss poor performance!

2020-12-22 20:37:07

I found something. DK if that's what you're looking for, but the software is not dodgy or I at least don't think so. Why? Because the article is talking about very common software people are often using for audio related stuff.
so, link is this
https://www.unlockunit.com/blog/convert … obooks-go/

2020-12-22 22:05:08

That only applies to unprotected m4b's.

2020-12-23 00:33:27

Hi,
The problem with these particular audiobooks, is that unless you bought the original versions back when they were still on sail, you literally can't buy them digitally any more, or at least, not from any of the common sources such as audible, Itunes, google play etc. CD's are a hole other can of worms, but unless I get a lot more money or can find good deals on Ebay or something, that's not gonna happen any time soon.
@Matt, yes I'm aware of inaudible. I used it back when I had an original VR stream with no direct audible support. Fun times. Still have that thing somewhere, actually, along with the power supply. Hmm, I wonder...

2020-12-23 00:44:42

If you can still burn audiobooks to CD, that's your way out. Burn CD, rip CD and store the mp3 files.
Alternatively play book and intercept the audio post decryption, that way apple is circumventing the DRM and not you.

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

2020-12-23 18:00:49

You can actually unprotect files right in iTunes it seems.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (@Minionslayer0). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Mastodon at @Minionslayer.

2020-12-23 19:52:07 (edited by ignatriay 2020-12-23 19:56:42)

There is a way, which doesn't involve decrypting. As long as you just use the book for your personal use... and don't put it out there... If you have a audio editor or any software that can record output, set it to record the output of say itunes, or your phone, press record, then press play. Granted this is a time-consuming process, and frankly not something I do myself; as I prefer having voiceover read the books; but that's a option. To be frank I really don't understand why the, drm with things like books / movies. I get it piracy; but at this point? Piracy is just used as a excuse for drm in lots of cases, this beeing one of those IMO.
15, I think I know what your talking about; but I'm pritty sure that doesn't work with drm protected content. Tried it back when I had apple music and no dice, if what your talking about is going into the convert to, menu.

sound designer for mental vision, and Eurofly3.
take a look at
My freesound pageWhere I post sounds I record. ps: if you use my sounds, remember to credit me smiley

2020-12-23 19:58:07

@ignatriay After doing more research, I meant that some material could be downloaded as the iTunes Plus quality format, which apparently isn't DRM-protected, allowing you to convert it successfully.