2020-12-15 07:42:09

Hi, I think NVDA's gone on long enough that we should be able to change the beep sounds to something more plecent to listen to.

JAWS and I think Android have nice dings, where as NVDA is still stuck with beeps. It might just be me but I'd love to have new sounds because these ones can wake up my family if I play them outside of headphones.

I'm gone for real :)

2020-12-15 08:38:11

open an issue on github where in you can explain every thing regarding this beeps to the developpers.

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2020-12-15 10:36:25

@ashleygrobler04, I'll do that. I didn't think of that smile

2020-12-15 11:18:26

hahaha Good luck

best regards

2020-12-15 11:47:40

@ashleygrobler04, well I can't report anything at the moment because of the backlog of issues they have to sort through but I will.

2020-12-15 12:07:45 (edited by bhanuponguru 2020-12-15 12:08:25)

you can replace the sounds with those  you wan't
replace it under nvda installation directory and boom. use same filenames as nvda uses.
for example, to start nvda, there is start.wav. use a wav file that you wan't and rename it to start.wav. place in nvda directory. and your done

if you like this post, please thum it up!
if you like to see my projects, feel free to check out my github
if you want to contact me, you can do here by skype. or you can follow me on twitter: @bhanuponguru
discord: bhanu#7882

2020-12-15 13:29:06

That doesn't work, because NVDA's beeps are synthesized, meaning they aren't just wav files you can replace.

Not sure honestly how to go about changing this. I mean, I guess you could have wav files for each of the positions of a progress bar, but then you'd still be left with speech mode beeps, and mouse position beeps if play audio coordinates is on. And indentation beeps if you have that enabled. So, it seems impractical to switch them all to wav files.

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2020-12-15 13:55:55

hmm, wait. is he talking about progress bar? then there's no way to change. because nvda uses winsound module to generate those beeps. they change freequency
so, there's no way to change winsound's sound. and when i say winsound, it's programmer side.
so, python it self generates the beep. so, i guess mey bee they use costum sound. and, you can tun off those beeps and use speech instead. using insert u

if you like this post, please thum it up!
if you like to see my projects, feel free to check out my github
if you want to contact me, you can do here by skype. or you can follow me on twitter: @bhanuponguru
discord: bhanu#7882

2020-12-15 14:06:23

@8, he does not want to turn off the beeps, he wants to change them. and technicly, the beeps are produced by python and your sound card...

best regards

2020-12-15 14:12:03

Ah, so it can't be done?

That's ok, at least I know now smile

2020-12-15 14:25:59

No, changing the beeps can't be done unless they add in a completely new way of producing the beep sound. Not saying they won't... but all the same I wouldn't get your hopes up too quickly.

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2020-12-15 14:31:11

Yeah the beeps are windows-generated.

2020-12-15 14:38:01

You might be able to make them more tolerable by messing with the frequency and changing the waveform type, though i'm not exactly sure how you'd go about doing this.

2020-12-15 14:42:33

They're generated then the remote helper process chops the tops off the waveforms.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2020-12-15 16:13:26

The tone generation is part of the NVDA helper, which is written in C++. I believe at one point it was a sine wave, but it was changed because it was hard to hear on some laptop speakers.

Oh no! Somebody released the h key! Everybody run and hide!

2020-12-15 16:33:30

You can change it by modding the 'sampleRate' variable in tones.py and running from source (maybe).  Speaking of the helper though, I still wonder how it communicates with NVDA itself.

2020-12-15 18:12:37

nah, I'll leave all that stuff alone and just use NVDA u to switch between whatever I like at that time.

2020-12-15 18:30:41

It's not a clean waveform though. It's not a sine, but it's not a triangle either. It's some weird amalgamation of the two.

End racism
End division
Become united

2020-12-15 19:22:13

The speech mode beeps are weird as well.

2020-12-15 19:43:40

Just listen to how aliased tones.beep is.

Oh and remember the freakyfwoof pack that got killed because a couple people couldn't keep their stupid fucking bitch whore mouths shut? That. NVAccess, in their infinite wisdom, decided it would be advantageous to down sample sounds that were less than a second a piece to 22K, even though the savings is not appreciable. They sited some bullshit reason about wanting to have it available in less developed countries, but there's no science behind their shit because if there was, they'd get the fact that doing that did jack shit except caused those beautiful sounds to not mix well with 22K voices.

End racism
End division
Become united

2020-12-15 20:33:20

@18. According to the discussion in this issue, it's a square wave with sloped edges.

Oh no! Somebody released the h key! Everybody run and hide!

2020-12-15 20:35:17

@20, What are you on about?

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (@Minionslayer0). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Mastodon at @Minionslayer.

2020-12-15 21:51:49

The sound pack Freakyfwoof made for NVDA, that was actually really well done but people couldn't stop bitching, so NvAccess axed it.

End racism
End division
Become united

2020-12-15 22:02:05

I am curious, though, how do you accomplish the same with JAWS without scripts? I can only find a how frequently it should speak progress option.

2020-12-15 22:08:20

@GrannyCheeseWheel Oh, so there's no way I can see what it would have sounded like?

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (@Minionslayer0). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Mastodon at @Minionslayer.