2020-12-02 02:47:37

@25
Yes, but should is the operative word.

Invisible performance problems that you can't track down?  Irregardless of whether Defender is in the way or not, and I'm not going to buy that it's not in the way without some sort of proof, you're talking about a rootkit that gets its fingers into every corner of your system and implicitly does stuff literally every time a program opens a file.  It's not necessarily going to fix it but it's a very good thing to try.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2020-12-03 08:14:46

From my testing yesterday and today, the RAM usage spikes  don't appear to be caused by Malwarebytes and Windows Security trying to hook into each other.

The Beast continued its studies with renewed Focus, building great Reference works and contemplating new Realities. The Beast brought forth its followers and acolytes to create a renewed smaller form of itself and, through Mischievous means, sent it out across the world.
from The Book of Mozilla, 6:27

2020-12-03 11:15:18

You can disable sysmain (or previously superfetch). It's a Windows service that tries to guess what you will open based off your habbits and will preload those stuff in RAM to increase performance. I personally find it very annoying.

Also, @23, that sounds like a virus. You could've used another program other than task manager to inspect the processes and resources. I'm guessing the virus would be scanning for taskmgr. An anti-virus is just looking at files, fingerprint them and look them up against a virus database to see if it's a known threat. Some more advanced can scan your outbound network activities and do other fancy stuff. All that to say an anti-virus will not catch everything. The problem is that virus are just regular programs that do something you don't want them to, so it's hard to flag them without too much false positive / false negative.

If you suspect your computer is compromised, it is advised to reinstall a fresh OS anyway. It is not garanteed it will wipe the virus, but it is very likely. Very few viruses are able to persist through a OS reinstall.

Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another. ― Lemony Snicket

2020-12-04 03:05:57

Does your network lag as well?  If so you are probably getting flooded with nasty packets.  Whatever you do, make sure your computer is venting heat correctly so it doesn't overheat.

Please support me by checking out my ko-fi shop:
https://ko-fi.com/kjsisco56927

2020-12-04 04:02:06

If this is still a problem, reinstall windows, which will take less time than continuing to experiment indefinitely.

My Blog

2020-12-04 04:32:36

Yeah, you get about a year and it's time for an OS install anyway.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2020-12-04 07:27:02

Doesn't a feature update pretty much reinstall windows is it is? Not a clean install, mind you, but still a reinstall.

2020-12-04 17:17:12

@31
I mean, no, that's not true.  *if* you take care of it you can last a lot longer.  I've got a tower that hasn't reinstalled in 2 years (and that reinstall was a motherboard going bad) and a massively underpowered laptop that's fine after 4.

But this does mean not installing a ton of stuff you don't need, going out of your way to never force shutdown, etc etc etc.

@32
No, windows updates are incremental.  They also leave all other installed software in place, including any potential partial uninstalls and so on.

My Blog

2020-12-04 18:07:32

@31, my pc is running the same windows install since 2017 and it is doing pretty well for now.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2020-12-04 18:25:28

Meh fuck that, it just gets jenky and slow and shitty.

End racism
End division
Become united

2020-12-04 19:16:43

@Angel, Yeah, but if you haven't even clean-installed Windows in the first place, you have nothing to compare it to.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (@Minionslayer0). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Mastodon at @Minionslayer.

2020-12-04 19:41:55

I have clean installed Windows many times, and this hasn't been a problem with Windows 10.  7, yeah, to some extent. This is much more a function of how much stuff you decide to install.  Get a few bad uninstallers that leave a service around or something and, well...  Just only putting what you need on the computer rather than anything that happens to interest you at the time and not playing with advanced settings goes a long way.

My Blog

2020-12-10 17:00:40

It seems that my RAM is going up when I navigate through or between virtual documents while using NVDA, but that's odd. Shouldn't NVDA manage RAM better than that? Also, NVDA's RAM usage statistics don't show an appreciable increase in RAM usage to account for these massive RAM spikes.

The Beast continued its studies with renewed Focus, building great Reference works and contemplating new Realities. The Beast brought forth its followers and acolytes to create a renewed smaller form of itself and, through Mischievous means, sent it out across the world.

2020-12-11 07:42:36 (edited by TheGreatCarver 2020-12-11 08:24:51)

Here's an example. After I had opened two word documents that I  was working out of, My physical RAM was at around 20%. After an hour of switching back and forth between the documents as I completed homework, my RAM sat at about 95% usage. When I closed out word, my RAM looked like this:

Physical: 29.81 GB of 31.73 GB used (93.9%). Virtual: 64.90 GB of 74.16 GB used (87.5%).

even when I add processes up, I don't see anything in Task Manager that could be taking 95% of 32 GB of RAM, and I certainly don't see anything that would cause my virtual RAM to be holding at 65 GB. I've checked my antivirus software, I've scanned for malware, I've looked into the services running, I've ensured that fast startup is off, I've checked Windows Update, and I've checked my network. I've held off on disabling sysmain because I don't want to go pulling the plug on random Windows services unless I have a good reason to do so, and sysmain doesn't appear to be causing my problems according to Task Manager. Is this an accurate assessment? Would sysmain show up in Task Manager? Is there anything else that you can suggest short of reinstalling Windows completely?

2020-12-11 14:06:27

Could be a worm.

End racism
End division
Become united

2020-12-11 15:00:15

I think it may be a dell XPS or dell computer specific issue.
I have a dell XPS 13 9300 and have the exact same problem, it's just I have 16GB ram.
My gaming laptop doesn't do it, at idle I'm at 9% of 32GB usage give or take, but with my XPS I'm at 22% when I first boot, and I have more or less the same programs running as you do.
I do notice that when you finish doing things, it doesn't seem to free up ram I.E. if I keep restarting a program, the usage will gradually rise without coming down.
As an earlier poster mentioned, it could be if you have a web browser open for a long period of time.
I was on a site for a couple of hours yesterday, and although I only had 1 browser tab open, by the time I was finished with it my usage was at an unexplainable 90% give or take.
I put it to sleep thinking it might right itself if I left it for a bit, and the next time I came to use it the thing wouldn't even respond to my keyboard presses because it mustn't have had any memory to play with.

Though our eyes may fail, our ears prevail!
User Karma, every little helps

2020-12-11 15:49:44 (edited by TheGreatCarver 2022-02-20 15:18:13)

TheBlindSaiyan wrote:

I think it may be a dell XPS or dell computer specific issue.
I have a dell XPS 13 9300 and have the exact same problem, it's just I have 16GB ram.
My gaming laptop doesn't do it, at idle I'm at 9% of 32GB usage give or take, but with my XPS I'm at 22% when I first boot, and I have more or less the same programs running as you do.
I do notice that when you finish doing things, it doesn't seem to free up ram I.E. if I keep restarting a program, the usage will gradually rise without coming down.
As an earlier poster mentioned, it could be if you have a web browser open for a long period of time.
I was on a site for a couple of hours yesterday, and although I only had 1 browser tab open, by the time I was finished with it my usage was at an unexplainable 90% give or take.
I put it to sleep thinking it might right itself if I left it for a bit, and the next time I came to use it the thing wouldn't even respond to my keyboard presses because it mustn't have had any memory to play with.

Well, that confirms my theory that this is a problem with something that Dell ships on this machine. This is exactly what I'm experiencing, and it's driving me up a wall. Reinstalling Windows from the Dell factory image would give me the same problems. Which means that if I reinstall, I'll have to put together the drivers I need from scratch. That'll be a pain. If this is a Dell problem, why have they not fixed it by now? We can't be the only ones who have noticed this.

2020-12-11 21:53:44

Huh. Sounds like a memory leak to me.

2020-12-11 22:38:00

@42
Drivers are going to sort themselves out without you having to do anything.  you might eventually want to download the ones from Dell, but Windows will almost always find all of the drivers by itself these days, usually through more official sources than your vendor.  In fact getting rid of audio drivers from insert-manufacturer solves problems for a lot of people.

If you're really worried, have a USB keyboard and USb audio device on hand; Windows will definitely find the drivers for those if you plug them in.  Same for an external monitor.  But my money is on you reinstalling Windows from something official and it just working fine without doing anything else.

My Blog

2020-12-11 22:45:42

This does involve getting a copy of windows through microsoft using the media creation tool, burning it to a stick, wiping your partition on boot into the PE, and installing. Usually it repartitions itself, but in some instances, I have needed to clean the partition using diskpart which you can access through the command prompt using the SHIFT+F10 shortcut.

End racism
End division
Become united

2020-12-11 23:52:32

Do a clean install of Windows and install only the programs you need. This should get rid of this and many other issues.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2020-12-12 00:48:59 (edited by TheBlindSaiyan 2020-12-12 00:49:51)

Unfortunately just reinstalling windows doesn't help.
I downgraded my windows from 1909 to 1709 on my XPS so windows could download everything necessary from scratch, but the problem still persists, and I don't know how to independently wipe the windows partition completely clean and manually reinstall it because it can't be done without assistance.
Dell computers have a few long standing bugs that haven't even been looked at, I know it's a bit OT but I have this issue where my XPS will keep running when I put it in sleep mode and get hot for no reason, forcing me to use hibernate which isn't the best alternative. Either that or disable connected standby in the registry which fixes you the problem in exchange for black screening your display.
I've seen topics all over the place with said issues and they don't seem to get solved, shame on you dell!!!

Though our eyes may fail, our ears prevail!
User Karma, every little helps

2020-12-12 02:03:08 (edited by Chris 2020-12-12 02:04:39)

Installing Windows from scratch is 100% accessible. Use the Media Creation Tool to download the latest version of Windows 10 onto a USB drive. Boot your computer from the USB drive and press Control+Windows+Enter to start Narrator. When you get to the screen to select the disk to install Windows, select each partition in the list and press the delete button. When the only option in the list is unallocated space, choose the next button and Windows will begin copying the necessary files.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2020-12-12 04:32:49

If this continues, I'm not going to have much of a choice; I'll have to reinstall. If I do reinstall, though, I'm worried that the problem will then become audio drivers. I'm not sure if this is applicable for clean installs, however I did uninstall the Realtek Audio Drivers a while back and found that audio devices would not switch unless I rebooted my machine. I don't want to go through that every time I switch audio devices, but I will if it means I get a machine that isn't going to have memory problems all over the place. Has anyone had experience like this? If so, do you have any recommendations?

2020-12-12 04:42:32

My recommendation is to suck it up because you have now spent way more time on this problem than if you had just done it a while ago when it became evident that you weren't going to find the issue.  Windows installs are 100% accessible and, if you're worried about audio device drivers, you can get USB audio adapters off Amazon for $10.

My Blog