2020-12-03 08:09:29 (edited by defender 2020-12-03 08:14:23)

@Graeme
A VPS could always be an option if you go paid for multiplayer (this would also cut down on hackers and trolls) or you get consistent enough donations.
Other than that, as long as your server program isn't completely user unfriendly, I know that many members here wouldn't mind trying it.  We've done the same for other games in the past after all...

As far as graphics go, I know that Aprone AKA Jeremy Kaldobsky did testing to figure out what the average blind player with some experience could see (in terms of distance and enemy locations) and then limited the graphics to only that radius.
So for instance if a blind player can usually pick up another moving player's footsteps from 40 tiles away, just make sure that instead of seeing the whole map and enemies locations all the time, players with sight can only see for 40 tiles.
Seeing players would know when a nearby wall or door was beside them, what type of ground they were walking on and be able to identify objects which would be in the hearing range of a blind player like cars and vending machines, or follow a nav beacon visually, but none of those are advantages.
Nor would seeing puffs of dust from nearby impacting rounds or directional gunfire flashes, especially if they were dimmer when coming from behind walls to simulate muffling.
I don't know how much control you have over the graphics in those ways, but I never heard complaints of an unfair advantage for sighted players on Swamp...

I'm glad to hear how open you are to all this!  I guess it shouldn't be surprising if you came from a more general accessibility background, but it's a shame that blind devs don't take the hearing or motion impaired into account more, then turn around and complain when people don't cater to them.

2020-12-03 09:34:42

Also add a jamming sistem if you try to shoot to fast when reloading and some melee weapons like machete.

2020-12-03 11:04:49

Spot on, for sure looking forward to this one. @51 BGT is a main cause of that. I'm sure even if they wanted to cater to that market BGT just says, neh.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2020-12-03 14:28:12

Couple things. Defender, Swamp's graphics are just lines and small polygons, aren't they? Still enough to play, but definitely not nearly as much information as we get audibly.

@52, say the magic word.

This topic has been swamped with posts, mostly TitanOfWar, throwing ideas left, center and right. I think it's more excusable because he's at least generally understanding of what he's talking about, but dude, chill on the double and triple posting, please?

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“You don’t tell me how to behave; you’re not my mother!”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2020-12-03 15:39:41

yeah, urm, sorry about that, i just get so excited, so many ideas.

Bach is an astronomer, discovering the most marvelous stars. Beethoven challenges the universe. I only try to express the soul and the heart of man."
― Frederic Chopin.

2020-12-03 16:38:47

@55, at least you're giving ideas in a mostly helpful and constructive way while 52 is just do this do that. Even if he doesn't add in the complexities, ironcheese and TOW has been giving in so much suggestions he should be able to syphin out what works, and what doesn't.

_____

2020-12-03 16:39:36

Maybe consider editing your posts into one, and have it flow more cohesively and succinctly

Is this the real life?
Or is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide,
No escape from reality

2020-12-03 18:37:02

@Defender I would definitely limit the field of view to the audio field limit, pretty much all of what you're suggesting is possible, and yes, it would be done in a similar way to Swamp, but I could add visual effects, which I don't think Swamp has. Obviously I would work on those things after I have a good audio game working with all the important gameplay mechanics in place first.

A dedicated server program would be something far into the future, I just don't want to get too far ahead of myself, would be pointless if the game turned out to be no good.

So going forward, I need to tighten up mouse control and look at adding sensitivity options later on. I build options menus towards the end when I tie everything together. Vertical aiming is the next job, sound wise I was thinking of clicks that change pitch to denote the angle of your aim, as @Defender suggested in post #9?

2020-12-03 19:24:10

I'll check this out sometime after lunch and see what sounds could stand a re-work.

I'm too lazy right now to go back and see who said that, but no, I couldn't have outright bought grenades, but I might have been able to get them in a wink wink nudge nudge sort of fashion.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2020-12-03 19:52:18

@58, I'm sure this may be a bit overwelming if done incorrectly, but if done correctly, perhaps this can work. You can have the verticle range tone on the x axis, however the tone would be a different one from the horizontal pitch. Left simulating down, and right being up.

_____

2020-12-03 20:11:56

I mean... Why not just a system like where each player within a certain range of you, and or within your crosshairs plays a little blip blip sound or something, and the pitch of that or even just the type of sound playing denotes they're position relative to your nose angle.

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2020-12-03 21:51:33

@JayJay
BGT isn't an excuse for a lack of hearing and motion accessibility, only graphics. Look at CP.
@redfox
I really wouldn't want things to be too easy. Improving skill is my favorite part of FPS's... Then again it's also possible to lose your target without a reminder. I like the way Redspot did it in some ways, where you'd get a slowly looping blip when the person was close enough to you.
The problem with that was that you needed to track the person first, which was clunky and didn't make fighting multiple enemies easy.  If you made team members have a different sounding blip and hit sound that could help with confusion though.
Ultimately however, online play is not even a for sure thing yet and won't be until the single player portion is complete anyway.

2020-12-03 22:12:47

OK, as to which sounds need replacing... all of them tongue

I really really don't get what's going on here. It doesn't really seem like it's taking my mouse input except for firing. Each beacon is different and leads to a different place. The guy is sometimes there but I can't line shots up on him because mouse movements do nothing.

End racism
End division
Become united

2020-12-04 01:07:34

@Defender, I was using player more as entity, but yeah I see what you mean.

----------

2020-12-04 01:47:59

I seem to have the same bug as CheeseWheel. The mouse is just rotating endlessly and the only thing that will respond is fire. Any help in fixing this bug would be greatly appreciated

2020-12-04 02:07:18 (edited by Graeme 2020-12-04 02:09:29)

Ok, the beacons were really just a test, mostly for myself, to see if it was possible to navigate to them. You have to bear in mind I've never played an audio game before. You can ignore them, they'll be removed.

@65 The mouse shouldn't rotate endlessly, but maybe yours is more sensitive than mine, might need to introduce some dead space.

@63 Are you able to move towards a beacon at all? The W key moves you forward, the mouse so far only rotates you left and right.
The sounds can be replaced if you can provide a better alternative tongue

Is anyone else having issues with the mouse?

2020-12-04 02:08:46

Sometimes it snaps hard left or hard right, but I don't know if there's a correlation to mouse movement or not. I have to put a lot, and i mean like pick up the mouse three times of movement into it to get it to snap at all.

End racism
End division
Become united

2020-12-04 02:10:20

I'm having the same problem as @67, first of all, i can't even hit the enemie and the mouse just turns for no reason, even wen i'm not touching it.

Bach is an astronomer, discovering the most marvelous stars. Beethoven challenges the universe. I only try to express the soul and the heart of man."
― Frederic Chopin.

2020-12-04 02:14:25 (edited by Graeme 2020-12-04 02:20:26)

Ok, think I might know what could be the issue, what screen sizes and resolutions are you running?

I think I know what's going on, gonna try and fix it now.

EDIT: It's to do with screen resolution, I've got it so mine's continuously rotating too. Fixing it now.

2020-12-04 02:25:07

It's 720p but a weird ratio I think. I can't see worth shit, no need in getting a decent TV. I got the thing boxing day for like $75 bucks.

End racism
End division
Become united

2020-12-04 02:30:55

@70 Yeah I didn't consider resolution to be an issue but it makes a difference to where the real mouse positions are on different PCs running different resolutions, so when I move my mouse it gives entirely different output values as to when you move yours if your screen res is different to mine. I'm going to test it on a different laptop, hoping I've fixed it.

2020-12-04 02:37:26

Can you not get the raw information on the movements and compare it to previous info to make that determination... something independent of resolution?

End racism
End division
Become united

2020-12-04 02:55:04 (edited by Graeme 2020-12-04 03:35:39)

If it becomes a real problem, I'll see if I can do that. I've set the game resolution to 1024 x 768 which most PCs from 10 years ago can run, but that said, I understand resolution isn't such an issue for blind gamers, so if anyone is running lower than that I can either run it lower or make an option to choose.

EDIT: Link removed, see below for new version.

2020-12-04 03:02:40

OK, well it is responding now, but rather snappish and altogether ungood.

End racism
End division
Become united

2020-12-04 03:35:04 (edited by Graeme 2020-12-04 04:08:27)

Ok the time interval between registering movements was too long. I need to get this right before I move on to doing anything else.

Would you mind trying this please?

EDIT: Link removed, updated.