2020-12-01 17:33:13

Hi,
Full time linux user here. I moved away from windows almost completely, with a few exceptions such as school work, a few weeks ago, and have not looked back since. Primarily, I realized that all of the things I needed to do could be done in linux anyway, and most of the stuff I'd been spoiled with in windows I could do without, for example TWBlue and the variety of NVDA addons I'd become accustomed to. Besides that, though, perhaps I just wanted something new? I'd been using linux for a long time prior to this anyway, had had it on a spare laptop of mine since May / April this year, and had been using the linux command line on servers for even longer. I'd say that, knowing the CLI as well as I did starting out, probably gave me a huge advantage.
Am also an ubuntu mate user, specifically accessible coconut, though I've been considering going the arch way because of audiogame manager, among other things. It seems to have a lot more of the stuff I need starting out, for example lib32 gstreamer plugins, which I'm having a stupidly hard time finding on ubuntu.

2020-12-01 17:48:58

Been using Linux for ages starting with Ubuntu 16.04 and going from there, with brief forays into Solus and back to Ubuntu Mate....because it does what I ned

Far as apt/snap goes I have heard it said if you use apt it pulls from the snap store however so..

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2020-12-01 18:00:40

Heh, the only package I've ever installed via snap is spotify. That's it.

2020-12-01 18:18:56 (edited by Ethin 2020-12-01 18:22:56)

@22, the claims of Apt replacing Snap and Fuchsia replacing Android are not comparable at all. That's apples and oranges, sir. Furthermore, neither claim is likely to happen any time soon. Android has far too much that relies on it for any new OS to suddenly replace it, and the same applies to Apt. As an OS developer myself, claiming that Fuchsia is being developed to replace Android is like claiming that my kernel is being developed to replace Linux. Like... Yes, Fuchsia has a library and programming language for it, and even some apps... But that in no way means it was ever designed to replace Android at all. If you want an OS to be usable by anything, you kinda need a library for it. That should be obvious. System calls aren't usually enough -- you need a C library too. The programming language is optional, but it doesn't further make the claim any more true.
https://www.bgr.in/news/google-says-fuc … -os-808957
I've just provided you two sources -- one per claim -- that invalidate them. I think your just deliberately providing misinformation at this point.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2020-12-01 20:36:42 (edited by Rastislav Kish 2020-12-01 20:39:34)

Hi there,
@29: following your logic and so called proofs you're providing, Linux shouldn't be even a major operating system by now, because its autor didn't claim it to be the most used operating system in the world. In fact, Torvalds marked it as pure hobby, small, non-professional OS, in day of its release.
So, with your arguments, a hobby OS doesn't have a chance to replace well established projects, and claiming it to do so is misinformation and lie, which can be disproved with claims of author about small goals.

Okay, whatever you say.

Best regards

Rastislav

2020-12-01 21:24:23

@30, Uhm... You know that doesn't even make sense, right? That wasn't even the point I was making. That wasn't even my original point earlier in this thread.
You started this debate by claiming that snap was being developed to replace Apt. That was false. You then jumped into operating systems -- something of which I have experience in. You then claimed that Fuchsia was being developed to replace Android, as a failed comparison to your earlier claim. Again, this was false, and I proved this by indicating that your claim was equivalent to me claiming that my small OS was being developed to replace Linux, which is obviously false, because I wouldn't have used it as a comparison otherwise. Not once in this thread have I ever claimed that an OS, developed for hobby/research, or developed for any other intent, couldn't come to dominate the OS market. And I have never claimed that because that would be obviously false because Linux has aptly demonstrated such a possibility.
Am I denying the possibility that Fuchsia or my OS will replace Android and Linux, respectively, despite the intent of the developers? No. I am denying the claim that the intent of the developers of both are to replace their respective rivals. Please carefully re-read my posts.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2020-12-01 23:57:28

I think I'd rather trust the Mint team's view on this. See the opening bits of this and why they have disabled snap in Mint 20

https://linuxmint-user-guide.readthedoc … /snap.html

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2020-12-04 14:25:11

For me, it's a few things.

- The package managers :: I seriously love having just one stop to install everything, well just about everything, update just about everything, and remove everything. And once something is removed, it's pretty well gone, nothing left by maybe the config files.
- Emacs :: I love Emacs. Well, mostly because of:
- Emacspeak :: Emacspeak is pretty amazing, and makes computing actually fun and rather easy once you get used to it.
- It makes sense :: Once you dive in, the file system, system processes, and everything that makes your system tick, makes sense, and it is open to you. Don't want something starting up when you boot the computer? Systemd has you covered. Want something starting up? systemctl enable something. Of course, there are issues, lack of a great sound enhancement system, lack of a good system-wide spell checker, all that, but all in all, it works great.
- Configurations are easily reproducible :: If you find someone's config file on the Internet, you can just install the program and copy the configuration file to wherever the program expects it, and you're good. This is really great for getting back up and running if you have to reinstall your OS, too.
- All the tools :: You may be able to get by with WSL, and if so, shoot for it. But I like to have one unified system, not Windows and a Linux kernel on the same computer, with communication at the barest of essentials needed to get a little stuff done.

So yeah, that is some reasons why I love Linux, and keep coming back to it time and time again.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me