2020-11-08 17:56:30

Well, Trump got the 2020 tretment.

He got infected with Covid, lost his job and is now getting evicted smile.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2020-11-08 18:17:46 (edited by defender 2020-11-08 18:18:39)

@Jayde
Because progress in one direction while allowing other things to rot is just building on pillars of sand, and no one has the exact same concept of what progress should mean.
Many people in the left now expect too much, too fast, and they allow their emotions to get the better of them.
I will often see pushes for grand, sweeping reforms, but when the unpleasant business of actually dealing with the negative affects of that rapid progress come up, often far less attention is paid to planning for it.
We say "down with the oil companies"!  But we often can't give more than vague uneducated platitudes when it comes to issues like how we'll pay for all the things that oil drilling rites often do in a community (education, sports, new roads), or how we'll replace those jobs fast enough when their is a lack of trained workers for green tech, or how we'll pay for the vast infrastructure overhaul necessary for variable power generation when we've just gotten rid of a huge economic resource, or how we'll replace plastics fast enough when so much relies on them, or how we'll deal with the problem of infrasonic sound from windmills and sun glare from solar panel installations that can harm animals...
People are scared, we're talking about their  livelihoods and kid's futures here.  We can't afford to not find reasons they could agree with when now is comfortable if not perfect, while the future is uncertain and getting scarier every day.  These people need stability, not vague promises and (to them) radical ideas.

Liberals can be short sided and self absorbed, often because they tend to be younger, urban, and have less life experience to consider.  Wile pushes like minimum wage and basic income are great, there seems to be a basic lack of respect for blue collar workers in the left and the simple, hard working people who act as a backbone for actually getting things done.  The older people at the top might not present this attitude (since they are older) but it's not hard to see when you look beyond the surface.
There is an arrogant sense of looking down on one's elders because of there mistakes, while not considering those choices contextually or self reflecting about mistakes in the current generation.

Leftists often allow the loudest and most unstable voices to speak for them, simply because they have been wronged and have the right in the group's estimation.  But this causes damage to the very social movements those people are championing.  We see that this can lead to hostile pockets of outrage culture where even someone clearly trying to do the right thing and adapt quickly to the mob's demands can't ever seem to do enough to please, simply because of their career path, skin color, age or gender, and the worst thing is how few liberals are able to see that hypocrisy.
This group mentality is bad for everyone, and now that social media is so interlinked with the real world, and waves of viral anger and condemnation can spread much faster than context or more thoughtful argument does, they give right wing or centrist influencers the ammunition they need to cause people to paint the whole left with one brush.

I get it, I know all the counter arguments to what I just said and many of them have merit , but that doesn't change the perception.  We need to get our priorities straight, work within the bounds of reality, and clean house if we want to get things done.

2020-11-08 18:53:55

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2020/1 … lid-video/

How is hate and fraud allowed to win? I'm done here. Most of you will call this a conspiracy and not take it seriously. Those who know this is real won't bother with this topic anymore. It's clear this website is geared at the liberal point of view.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2020-11-08 18:59:25

Defender, believe it or not I agree with most of what you said in your last post. I'm a leftist who gets it, mostly. I don't have hard answers to all the questions you pose, but I agree that we need to actually provide answers instead of just pushing for idealism.

What bugs me is the reflexive, flinching, brain-numbing, paralytic fear I see from non-progressives. The sort of logic which sounds like, "But how do you pay for it? You don't, because if you did you'd blow everything up and we'd all die. Therefore leave things as they are, you leftist idiot". I'm obviously parodying for effect here, but I hope I've proved my point. The assumption seems to be that 1. leftists want to destroy everything, and 2. because there are hard questions to answer, there -are no answers so things should be left as is.

Look. The reality is that we -never have all the answers. We never have and we never will. We do something that has a good chance of working. It fucks up. We fix it. This is progress in its barest sense, and has pretty much been the norm since day 1. If you expect that change must only happen when absolutely all eventualities are planned and accounted for and covered, then change will never happen. I sometimes feel like people on the right adopt this strategy because they can't stand any changes to the status quo.

I feel like both sides need to argue on good faith here. People on the left absolutely must listen when credible problems are brought up, and shouldn't proceed in the face of strong evidence just...because. When presented with a logistical problem, a really good response is, "Oh okay. This is a problem. How can we fix this? How can we minimize damage? We still want to enact this change, but we obviously want to do the least harm possible.". But people on the right, knowing that this change is ultimately necessary, should be working just as hard to solve those problems, and I don't think they are. Rather than looking for excuses to say no, why not look for reasons to work with those you disagree with. Okay, so you're afraid to stop subsidizing fossil fuels because it's providing money for infrastructure. I get it. So what other solutions exist? We didn't even have fossil fuels a hundred and fifty years ago, not really. Change is constant. This isn't a brick wall. What about closing loopholes in the tax system so corporations actually have to pay their share? What about higher taxes on the rich which *gasp!* actually get enforced? That alone creates a whole lot of money, which the government can then use responsibly (key word there) in a transition. That transition does have to happen - it's non-negotiable in the long term - but that doesn't mean it has to happen in eighteen months. You can't possibly avoid -all harm, but it would be best to minimize it.

And guys? To be clear, when I said I was curious about what folks like Ironcross and co. thought after hearing that Biden has been projected to win, that was not and is not intended as a challenge. I'm honestly curious. There are probably a lot of really disillusioned people out there right now, and it can't be easy knowing that your guy lost (this doesn't apply so much to Ironcross, because he said he couldn't vote for Trump or Biden either). That wasn't me saying, "So, guys, where are you now, huh? How does it feel to lose, eh?" I'm not trying to goad anyone. That's not my way.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2020-11-08 19:30:18 (edited by Green Gables Fan 2020-11-08 19:32:13)

I truly believe the art of compromise is dead, and that needs to come back. When we were kids, we had to learn to compromise with our siblings if one wanted to do something the other didn't, so they had to make a truce. But it seems like politicians don't want to do that anymore. They simply want to have either this or that attitude without giving anyone a chance to help them find a middle ground, and that's what we need most of all.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2020-11-08 19:31:44

Chris,

You're done here. I guess this conveniently absents you from having to explain your stance, but I'd be curious about your answers to the following questions.

1. On whose word were the doors locked while 400k ballots were counted? Is there, say, camera footage or testimony from a credible source which proves that this took place?
2. Flip this on its ear. Let's say I came forward and said that four hundred thousand Trump votes were counted in Florida on Tuesday night behind locked doors, and Biden should've taken Florida without a problem. How would you feel, and how would you react?
3. I've been watching the New York Times tick slowly, slowly upward. Do you know how long it takes to count 400000 votes? Do you know how much of a shitstorm there would be if this were provably true?

When you've got ten minutes to spare, check out this link:

https://www.newsguardtech.com/election- … n-tracker/

All but four or so of the sources quoted there are right-leaning, and have been highlighted as having published provably false info about elections. In most cases, they make a claim that gets smashed. In most of those cases, they are hostile to correction or simply refuse to comment. I don't believe I saw even one of them essentially say "yeah, guys, our bad. We'll fix that".
The left is not by any means guiltless on this score, but the skew is pretty one-sided, IMO.
So why did I post that link? It's to show you the hill you've got to climb, Chris. Republicans have been making silly claims about this election, and a whole lot of other things, for months. Most of them lack any merit. I can't find a single source that supports the claim your own source puts forth. It's not true just because Rudi said so.

Also, another link smashing voter-fraud claims:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/fact-check … -watchers/

There have been things done that aren't ideal. For instance, the claim that people have been denied access to counting places before eventually being let in? Not great, though it's only happened to a few people. And the idea that...oh no wait, I've got nothing else. That's about the most credible claim.
And I'm not even touching the other side. The bit where armed Trump supporters stood outside counting places screaming and protesting to either "count the vote" (Arizona) or "stop the count" (Michigan, Pennsylvania). The bit where two armed men approached a counting place with illegal firearms on their persons and in their vehicle. The bit where a Georgia ballot worker's personal info was put onto social media and he was issued death threats, action which drove him to stop counting ballots, leave his home and stay with friends. The man's afraid to drive his own car or be in his own home at the risk of being attacked. Or the bit where three hundred thousand ostensibly missing ballots are just kind of being ignored because they got lost in the mail. Or the bit where republicans have been doing everything they could to suppress votes and cast doubt on those which arrived.
Um...I don't know about you, but a few small indiscretions, stacked up against all that, is a drop of water compared to the ocean, bro. Perspective. You don't have it.

let me clarify this for you.
Republicans have intimidated, bullied, cheated, manipulated the law, slowed the postal service, ignored court orders, issued death threats in order to contest the validity of this election. Donald Trump urged republicans to vote in person, not by mail, and republicans fixed it so that in places like Pennsylvania, mail-in ballots received by the legally approved time would still be counted later. In other words, it was all set up to make the case against mail-in ballots look like Biden "stole" the election. And you bought it.
Republicans rigged the system, managed to lose in spite of that, and are now furious about it, so much so that they're baselessly accusing democrats of something, anything that might work. And you support this? Dude, any respect I had for your character is done. Wrecked.

But hey, if you want to go and actually answer my questions, I'll listen. If you don't, well, that's your business of course. But it sounds to me like you're not interested in truth. You're interested in a narrative that suits your agenda. And I'll be honest with you. I'm not really surprised. You're the dude whose Manamon 2 stream I had to stop watching because of the way you were laughing at the Sangora plot line and demonizing her for the mess she was in. No consideration for how Norman left her alone, despite claiming to love her; apparently his manamon journey was more important than his love. And far more importantly, no discussion at all (not that I heard, anyway) of the dude who knew he was ill, and seduced Sangora and made her sick. For you, it was all about how silly it was that she'd put herself in that position. For me, it was about three people, all of whom made mistakes, some of them bigger than others.
But wait, I hear you ask. What has this got to do with supporting Trump?
Here, I'll explain. It's pretty simple, actually. A person with that base level of contempt for women is probably more apt to follow the guidance of a misogynist, in my experience. It fits the puzzle, is what I'm saying. Not all Trump supporters feel this way, by any means, but most people who harbour this level of contempt aren't terribly interested in things like equality, truth, transparency and ethics. But hey, maybe I'm wrong, and you've actually got credible reason to say what you say and do what you do. And maybe there's a good reason you haven't provided it yet. It's possible. Almost anything is possible.

And I tell you what. For the sake of full ownership of my position, if it turns out your crazy story ends up beating the odds and being true, I'll apologize. I'll admit I was wrong, without any ambiguity. My bad. But I also challenge you to hold the same standards. When this claim gets thrown out, goes nowhere, results in nothing but a lot of flag-waving and shouting and incoherent mumbling from the right, I would love to hear an apology for the fact that you bought this bullshit at all. I'm willing to admit when I'm wrong, when it's demonstrated beyond reasonable doubt. Can you say the same?

2020-11-08 19:56:03 (edited by defender 2020-11-08 20:01:29)

ROFL Chris, this website is geared at the liberal point of view?  What a crock.
Tell me why you and all the other outspoken conservatives in this topic haven't been silenced then huh?
What about my post, right above yours.
Get ahold of your self and stop with this pathetic victim narrative.  Actions speak louder than words goes both ways, and good evidence of a consistent left bias in moderation decisions or official news/database posts has never been given.

@Jayde
Prepare to get ripped apart for the last part of your previous post.  You should have separated political leanings from personal morals in your criticisms.
You could be right sure, but it's not worth it.

2020-11-08 20:00:27

Defender, I'm prepared for it. In fact, I wish you hadn't said anything because I'm...sort of counting on it. I set traps when I argue.

2020-11-08 20:02:06 (edited by defender 2020-11-08 20:03:05)

Meh, not worth it if you get half caught in your own trap with the bear.  Then your just both fucked.
Don't give people more ammo.

2020-11-08 20:12:05

Ignoring the vitriol for a second.
My lady and I have been tense the last few days. We're amazingly relieved about the result, and rather pleased that my lady's vote in Pa actually counted for something, but we're both extremely worried about what might happen next given said vitriol, and Trump's own attitude, which I believe posts in this topic have pretty much shown.

Sadly, it doesn't seem we're out of the woods yet, we really appreciated Biden's remarks about healing divisions, though whether the people that need to take note of those remarks will  do so is another question.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2020-11-08 20:26:18

I'm not caught though. That's the thing.
I pointed out that obviously not all people who hold Chris's views about the Sangora thing are Trump supporters who ignore truth. I simply drew a comparison. It doesn't surprise me.

Because I do know some Trump supporters personally, and I've seen the rhetoric of thousands of them (assuming the ones writing on YouTube aren't just Russian bots, but even if they are, they're parroting talking-points and language patterns that are emblematic of Trumpism). And with absolutely no exceptions, there is some sort of a moral failing there. How you want to boil it down will differ from individual to individual, of course, but for me, it comes down to one of three qualities, each of which adds up to a moral failing.

1. Selfishness
This one is fairly obvious. One thing goes well for you, so you think that everyone else should be grateful too. Or, you're benefiting from a system, and you're told that someone else will change that system (even if they won't), so you back the person you believe will back your own best interests. This selfishness extends deeper, though. It focuses on your own victimhood, or purported victimhood, above anyone else's. And this is where it fails. Trumpism is the ultimate cult of the self.

2. Control
Control, in and of itself, is not a moral failing, of course. True chaos is scary, and change is something most humans are resistant to. But Trump, and his loyalists, are big on weaponizing control. They want to control the narrative by continuing to insist that their facts are the only facts. They want to control people (by putting children in cages, let's say, or by having men choose what happens to women's bodies) as a means of exercising power over those people. They demonize the idea of change. They pretend that the only reputable news is Trump news. That's scary, guys. And it's dangerous. The moral failing here is not in your wish to control your own life; it's in your desire to control the life and perspective of other people by bludgeoning them with lies, threatening them with violence or paralyzing them with a refusal to acknowledge their fundamental personhood and equality. Trumpism is the ultimate cult of power.

3. Factionalism
"us and them" is baked into republican ideology, but it's become especially poignant during Trump's reign. Everyone who opposes Trump is a liar, a leftist, a criminal. Language is hyperbolized at every turn. Divisions are widened for the sake of political theater. This makes people angry, confrontational, judgmental and antagonistic. I've seen it once if I've seen it a thousand times, even here on the forum. Underpinning the whole thing is the idea that if person a wins, person b loses, and that doesn't have to be true. Most Trumpists I've known have this mentality to one extent or another. The moral failing here is an inability to work with other people, an unwillingness to concede to ideas, viewpoints or notions that don't come from your own camp. Trumpism is the ultimate cult of division and confrontation.

So how does this touch on Chris and the Sangora issue?
Simple. Sangora is the victim in that storyline, or at the very least, she's the main one. She is ill and dying, but Chris was laughing his head off at her plight because she "did it to herself". This is victim-blaming, and is part and parcel, to some extent at least, with all three points I hit on above. Again, not all people who victim-blame are Trump supporters, but most Trump supporters I know...well, I wouldn't put this sort of behaviour past them, is what I'm saying.

Let me be clear here. I am not saying that every single centrist or republican is a morally awful person. I'm talking about your die-hard Trumpists in particular here. I feel that all of them, to one extent or another, represent at least one of the moral failings above. Either they're so selfish that they only care about their own self-interest, or they're bent on weaponizing control in some way, or they're so antagonistic and resistant to the thoughts of others that it's impossible to reason with them. The only perspective which matters is theirs. To some extent, Ironcross fits this mold, and so does Accman, and so does every person on this forum I've seen come out in favour of Donald Trump.

To be even more clear, you can totally be a selfish/power-hungry/confrontational leftist. These moral failings do exist on the right, but that's not the only place they exist. But when you see a moral issue combine with a political viewpoint, it's a puzzle-piece going "click". That's been my point from the start. It doesn't surprise me.

2020-11-08 20:34:12

This is the kind of stuff I see scrolling across my twitter timeline. The link is to a far-right news site, obviously, and because they're the only ones pushing this stuff. Also, 800000 votes? Who comes up with these numbers?

"There Are Facts of Fraud" - Rudy Giuliani: Trump Team to File Lawsuits against on Pennsylvania on Monday for Violating Federal Law  -- 800,000 Votes COMPLETELY INVALID! (Video) via @gatewaypundit https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2020/1 … ingbuttons

2020-11-08 20:46:05

Like I say, if it turns out to be true, or if actual fraud is uncovered, I'll shout just as loudly about it as the rest of you. But the burden of proof is on the accuser here. And we already know that the right has been trying to manipulate this election in different ways. Not stealing votes, per se, but definitely trying to create scenarios that reinforce their narrative.

There is one criticism I've heard that has a little merit though. A lot of polls were kinder to Biden in some swing states than actually made sense (Ohio and Florida come to mind). I'm honestly not sure why that is. There are several reasons that it could be so, but if some republicans saw this and felt disillusioned enough not to bother, then I could see that as a potential angle for voter suppression. Trump did it to people of colour via Facebook in 2016 by targeting them with specific types of ads, and it appeared to work that year.
Now, of course, I don't see proof yet that democrats deliberately lied about polls and projections in order to discourage republicans. It's possible, but it's not proven. But that's a valid enough criticism; polls can convince people that their vote doesn't matter, and if enough people jump on that train, it could make a difference. It won't in this election, but in a smaller-scale situation it might. Besides, both sides were very clear that they wanted your vote; Trump's super-spreader rallies and Biden's repeated exhortations to have a plan to vote should've made that abundantly clear.

2020-11-08 21:43:52

@Jayde thanks it was but my family is also split between parties so that helped. Besides Trump's awful personality and handling the pandemic poorly I think 1 of the key things that really decided it for me was environmental issues. Such as Trump's wall messing up ecosystems, dropping protection for the Pasific temperate rain forest, and pulling out of the Paris agreement. I know some hardcore Trump supporters that if they knew would want me to explain why and to them that would be beyond their comprehension.

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2020-11-08 21:55:44

@Jayde
When you lay it out like that it is more reasonable.

2020-11-08 22:39:53

Personally, what bugs me beyond belief is that everyone who I normally would have never voted against, from my mother to pastors I've agreed with on many subjects, to friends who I've willingly supported in their arguments, are all willing to throw in the towel now and declare that I'm no Christian, that I'm no conservative, that I don't care about life or life's values, that I no longer ascribe any worth to humanity, all because I supported and was outspoken about the other guy, the guy that was democratic, the guy that was not the guy they all wanted me to vote for because republicans don't vote against each other and bla bla bla.  Honestly?  I'm sad.  I see no love, no affection, no compassion and no respect in the republican party anymore, and that hurts deeper than I ever could have imagined, not because of ties to any party in particular, but because my family is still my family, whatever they may say or do to me.  I've heard it all though, from "Christians don't vote democrat..." to "Your wife and kids will be cursed by your actions and the fact that you're going to be hit by a hurricane in the next 24 hours is precisely what God had coming to you!  Be ashamed!"
I tell you all plainly that there are things I absolutely hate which some if not all democrats stand for, from the legalization of abortion which to me feels a lot like sanctioning murder, to the idea of fixed universal income/healthcare, which I just don't see working out for a myriad of reasons.  That having been said, so many things are broken right now and we really doo need a change to fix these things that if we don't fix them right now what we'll in essence be doing is straight up killing ourselves by ignoring these issues now, which gives noone, from unborn babies on up to the elderly, a serious chance at a good life.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2020-11-08 22:59:27 (edited by defender 2020-11-08 23:00:31)

Yeah I feel very bad for moderate republicans because of what the Republican party has allowed it's self to become.  I hate the idea of stacking any governmental body, but it's been very hard to find Republicans that I as a centrist could feel good about voting for at any level higher than state supreme court judge.
They've let so many of the values they supposedly stand for be shit on by Trump and his staff simply because of the pipedream that this well known conman gave them, and too many have fallen into the trap of radicalization when those at the top are supposed to be smarter than that.

2020-11-09 01:41:37 (edited by Ethin 2020-11-09 01:44:38)

I just ran some statistical calculations using empirical probability to determine how likely voter fraud was. According to dictionary.com, there have been approximately 250 million votes submitted by mail in the past 20 years. Out of those 250 million votes, 1,285 votes were ruled as fraudulent, and 1,100 of those voters were charged with a crime. Therefore, empirical probability says that:
1285/250000000=257/50000000=0.00000514=0.000514 percent probability that a vote will be fraudulent.
1100/1285=220/257=0.8560=85.60 percent probability that a fraudulent voter will be charged with voter fraud.
Source: https://www.dictionary.com/e/absentee-b … -in-ballot
Therefore, for anyone who still believes that voter fraud occurred this election, let the math show that the probability of such a thing happening is so low as to be improbable with the data at my disposal. Obviously, I don't have exact numbers, so the probability may be slightly higher or lower, but its around 0.000514 percent, and even if either number (number of fraudulent votes legally proven to be fraudulent and total number of votes cast by mail) were to raise the probability would not change much because there's a certain point where numbers like this begin to level out and very little change is observed.
Apologies if this post doesn't make sense to some. I posted the math here if anyone wants to verify my claims. I might be wrong and if I am, I'll freely admit that, because I don't have exact numbers nor can I prove that this data is reliable.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2020-11-09 02:58:27

Your math checks out as far as I can see, Ethin, and it also fits fairly closely with the 0.000006% chance of voter fraud reporteby multiple reputable news sources.
That number probably did go up a very little bit this year, with mail-in voting being more of a thing. Note that I'm not touching the criminal side of it; that probably didn't rise much, if at all.
Even if every single case of bonna fide voter fraud tipped in favour of one party, and even if every single instance of fraud was contained in the closest battleground state, it wouldn't tip the result. Let that sink in for a minute.

2020-11-09 03:05:15

One thing that annoys me is people thinking that if you agree with a single thing that comes out of someone's mouth you have to vote for them. No, actually. There are certainly things I agree with republicans on, too. I have mostly democratic views/beliefs (actually, I would cast myself as more an independant), but what a lot of people now seem to think is that if you agree with a single thing a certain party says, you MUST! Vote for them. And I always try to explain to people that "No, that's not how that works. Just because I agree *more* with another party, doesn't mean that I cannot see eye to eye with the other on certain issues.

2020-11-09 03:29:53

Agreed with this. I know many people who, for instance, give Trump credit for some parts of the economy while acknowledging that he's a horrible human being. Or, flip it the other way. I know of one republican in particular who couldn't/didn't vote for Biden because he can't stomach the abortion thing, like, not at all, but admitted that Biden has a better head for getting good things done and playing ball. It is nice when each side of the debate can see the honestly good points of the other side, or can admit it when their own guy has been less than ideal. I consider myself as one of those people, for the most part. I may sound angry and shrill at times, but I think I have cause. I'm still able to admit that Trump did not ruin absolutely everything he touched. Same with Doug Ford, the conservative premier of Ontario. He has been a bit wishy-washy on Covid-19, and on trying to sneak legislation through when people aren't looking, but he's also been fairly solid on getting people to listen to health experts about physical distance and the wearing of masks. I intensely dislike his policies, but he isn't trying to set the province on fire, so while I want him gone and will undoubtedly vote against him, I can also admit without flinching that he didn't just implode on everything and make a naked grab for power.

2020-11-09 03:55:40 (edited by Ghost 2020-11-09 03:56:12)

ok on the subject of progress. The people who say, wait, we shouldn't do x because of y are typically republicans  and centrist democrats their argument goes something like, we  will have these problems, therefore we should let everything remain as is and pretend problems aren't there. The main thing they use as a talking point is how people will pay for it. But bring up bailing out airlines, blanket imunity for corperations, corporate bailouts, and  tax cuts, they will  not ask that question. Trump rammed through one of the most significant tax cuts in 2017, and republicans were really happy to support him for it, that bill mainly benefited the rich, and  fucked over military families and students by counting the benefits they received as income, and drastically taxing them more. Noone was overly concerned then, on what effect  decreasing tax revenue so significantly would have on the functioning of the government.  Move on to 2020, and suddenly said republicans are very concerned on where money is to come for more stimulus, after giving 8.5 trillion in interest free money out to banks, corperations and airlines.   The fact is, change must happen, but most people realize there should be a process to follow to implement them. Noone is proposing instant sweeping changes, because that wouldn't be possible.
Oh and defender, I love it  how you accuse me of making sweeping generalizations, and then go on to do that yourself, by  lumping all liberals as people with no life experience, and no respect for elders or  working people.  Fact is, respect is earned, not given automatically. We shouldn't blindly defend the choices people before us made because they happen to be alot older, And if some of them were fucked up or selfish, I will say so.
As for minimum wage. that federal minimum wage of 7.50 an hour hasn't been raised since 2008, and the only places you will see it unchanged is states with boneheaded republican majorities who are absolutely against doing it. As for universal income, that will likely have to be a thing in the future,  as robotics and automation will replace a huge majority of low skill jobs, and even some high skill ones.
Also on oil companies, the fact that oil provides revenue to the government and jobs doesn't change the fact that its a limited resource, and that drilling and fracing destroys ecosystems, and pollutes groundwater.  Fact is,  more emphasis should be placed on moving to a more sustainable energy source that doesn't cause the same level of environmental distruction.  I suspect nuclear fusion reactors would be the solution mostly when they become  viable, though likely there will have to be a solution to some degree before then.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2020-11-09 04:02:42

Enes, I mostly agree with you, except the bit where you claim that Defender is lumping all liberals into the same boat. He's not. He's saying that -some liberals do this, not all. And he's dead right.

Transition away from fossil fuels has to work for as many people as possible without ruining them. There is going to be some damage; a zero-damage scenario is not feasible and should not be an argument point on either side. But a minimum-damage scenario should be striven for, if at all possible.

Just to put that whole tax thing into perspective, Biden wants to put the corporate tax at 28%, which is exactly where GWB had it during his two terms. He doesn't want to jack it through the roof, he just wants it back at a sane level. He also wants to tax people making over 400k a year, because let's face it, they can afford a tax hike. The people making under, say, 50k a year definitely can't afford higher taxes because their margins are already thin enough as it is.

I'm glad that Canada's minimum wage is around the 14-15 dollar mark. It's still not quite outpacing inflation (and there's a slippery slope there), but our country hasn't imploded either. Ditto with our health care. We have fairly socialized medicine, and nothing went boom.

2020-11-09 04:16:30

That is interesting Jayde.  Seems Biden is basicly republican light in a way and was even more to the right than I thought. I would've expected that he at least repeal the tax cuts and jobs act, and put ccorprat taxes back to 37%, which is what they were before trump cut them down to 22%, which is a gigantic cut.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2020-11-09 04:23:16

Yeah I was more talking about the perception than what I personally think.