2020-11-08 09:16:29 (edited by Origine 2023-06-14 06:03:10)

v0.99.8 is a hotfix for auth flow for new users.

I finally published a beta version of the app I made to browse Reddit. I started this project after having a hard time browsing Reddit because of few landmarks and streaming of the listings.

The point of this app is to be able to browse and use Reddit really really fast with a screen-reader. The overall design is centered around productivity. My ambitious goal was can I make an app that would allow a screen-reader user to browse Reddit faster than someone sighted. With the speed our screen-readers read and snappy navigation, I think it's possible.

Disclaimers:
- This app is entirely designed for screen-readers, if you have low vision and look at the screen, you might be confused with what is going on.
- You need to have a Reddit account, this will not work unauthenticated
- This will mostly have bugs and can crash
- This app currently has a limited feature set that might not cover your scenarios, although the feature set is growing and got to a decent level
- If you are using JAWS, the app uses a global system keyboard hook, but the hook is unregistered when you Alt+Tab away to another application and reregistered when you come back to the app.

What it does right now:
- Browse posts, comments and replies of subreddits (with auto complete for subreddit names)
- Search a subreddit
- Search Reddit
- Reply to messages, posts, comments or replies
- Open messages, posts, comments, replies and create a new post online
- In app settings and keyboard shortcut remapping
- Upvote / Downvote posts, comments and replies
- Open links in messages, posts / comments / replies
- Able to review the text, copy it etc.
- Prompts for updates when a new version is available
- Subscribe / unsubscribe to subreddits
- View your front page / messages / subscriptions / friends / monitor feed / overview / post history / comment history / settings
- Tailor the screen-reader read out to your liking (template engine)
- Change sorting of posts, comments, search results, your front page, overview, post history and comment history
- Tab management like in a browser
- Follows R/ links in posts within the app to move from a subreddit to another when linked by someone
- save posts, cross post
- edit, delete posts and comments
- Track various things and be notified on updates (inbox, sureddits, posts, comments)
- See a full exhaustive list of all the actions you can take at any given time and their associated keybaord shortcut
- View posts or comments in the context they were posted in
- Works with Jaws and NVDA

If that sounds appealing to you:
1. Go to www.redditforblind.org
2. Download the app, it's at the top of the page.
3. Unzip the app and run the program
4. You can press F1 to go to the documentation that tells you how to quickly get started
5. In the app, press enter to grant permissions to the app to use your reddit account on your behalf. Note that to make things simpler and because I'm lazy, this token will ask for every possible permission. However, the token will only be stored locally on your computer. It will be unencrypted, you can revoke it on the reddit website if it gets compromised, but as long as no one gets access to your file system, you should be fine.
6. Press R to switch to a subreddit of your choice, type it and press enter, you can also press Tab to auto complete.
7. Use the arrow keys to read posts, comments and replies. You will hear a sound when there are replies you can expand.

This should get you started, press F1 for more details, such as how to reply, create new posts, search a subreddit, vote, review text etc.

Features I want to add, main ones being:
- Save a tabs state of the app for startup, say your favorite configuration
- Give the user the ability to specify which permissions the app will be granted
- Open Reddit links from the app

Anyways, let me know what you think, if it's useful to you at all or not really. I made that mainly for myself, because there is so much stuff on reddit. I didn't officially release the app yet, this is more of a beta. When I'll get to 1.0, I will release it on Reddit itself.

Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another. ― Lemony Snicket

2020-11-08 09:24:40

sounds amazing

i am a system, i have headmates, and that is my life, and my discord is rings2006wilson#8609

2020-11-08 09:28:21 (edited by rings2006 2020-11-08 09:30:31)

ok sorry for the double post but i get this when i press enter.Unhandled exception. System.Net.HttpListenerException (32): The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.
   at System.Net.HttpListener.AddPrefixCore(String registeredPrefix)
   at System.Net.HttpListener.AddAllPrefixes()
   at System.Net.HttpListener.Start()
   at reddit_for_blind.RefreshTokenHelper.GenerateToken(String scopes)
   at reddit_for_blind.Windows.AuthenticateWindow.Confirm()
   at reddit_for_blind.Managers.ActionManager.InvokeAction(IActionInvokable actionTarget)
   at reddit_for_blind.RedditForBlind.Run()
   at reddit_for_blind.Program.Main(String[] args)
am i doing something rong?

i am a system, i have headmates, and that is my life, and my discord is rings2006wilson#8609

2020-11-08 09:31:31 (edited by Origine 2020-11-08 09:32:33)

@3, did you unzip the archive? Did you place the exe file in a place where the app could write files next to it? If you put it in program files or something, you will have to run the app as administrator

Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another. ― Lemony Snicket

2020-11-08 09:32:33

its on the root of my d drive because i couldnt think of any better place and that has full right access. it made the user config and everything

2020-11-08 09:34:39

@5, could you catch the error in your speech history? Are you using windows 64 bit?

2020-11-08 09:35:54 (edited by rings2006 2020-11-08 09:36:34)

yes
Welcome to Reddit for blind! Looks like you are not authenticated. The app requires authentication to work properly.
First, you need to log-in to your Reddit account on your default browser. Then, press enter, it will open a web page
asking for permissions. If you accept, click on "Allow" on the page. The authentication will then happen automatically.
If you don't want to authenticate, just close the app
Unhandled exception. System.Net.HttpListenerException (32): The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.
   at System.Net.HttpListener.AddPrefixCore(String registeredPrefix)
   at System.Net.HttpListener.AddAllPrefixes()
   at System.Net.HttpListener.Start()
   at reddit_for_blind.RefreshTokenHelper.GenerateToken(String scopes)
   at reddit_for_blind.Windows.AuthenticateWindow.Confirm()
   at reddit_for_blind.Managers.ActionManager.InvokeAction(IActionInvokable actionTarget)
   at reddit_for_blind.RedditForBlind.Run()
   at reddit_for_blind.Program.Main(String[] args)
i just pressed enter then quickly controll a to select all

2020-11-08 09:36:01

@7 no, to use the Reddit API, you need to be authenticated. This is how they make sure they can throttle you to 1 request per second. Unfortunately you need to be authenticated, you can create a dummy account though if you want.

2020-11-08 09:45:06

@7, the app needs to intercept the token in the authentication process. Reddit allows apps to grab that token with a redirect url to which they send it to. For my app, I set that to be the user's machine on port 61151. This means that for a short time and only for authentication, the app will spawn a web server listening on that port on your machine. This seems to be failing.

This could be because:
1. Another app on your machine uses port 61151, which could happen, but it doesn't seem likely
2. Another instance of my app closed but didn't close the web server because of an issue and thus the server is still running. In this case, if you reboot your PC, it should work.

2020-11-08 09:47:31

how do i check if an app is doing that. and that happend the very first time i ran it

2020-11-08 09:57:32

well rebooting helped even though it wasnt running but what ever it works

2020-11-08 10:09:56

@rings2006, sorry for that. Not sure what went wrong, I've never seen that issue. Glad it works now. If others are hitting that I will investigate more and try to make this more robust.

2020-11-08 10:26:34

that app works amazingly. though, we should be able to open links that are in posts

2020-11-08 10:30:30 (edited by Origine 2020-11-08 10:31:12)

@13 I know! Thanks for the suggestion, I almost added it last minute before release, maybe I should've. I should be able to do that soon.

Thanks for the feedback by the way, very appreciated!

2020-11-08 11:36:46 (edited by Still_Standing 2020-11-08 11:37:21)

this is awesome, i finally would be abel to use reddit  intirely on windows like the app on the phone without having to open it in browser, i do spend atleast half an hour a day reading  some topics about an interesting subject or the other. so this is a grate help, thanks, i'm gonna download it now and try it out...

And as anyone who's gone mountain climbing knows ,The serene snow-covered peaks that look so tranquil from a bdistance, Are the deadliest
sound is my vision
i rarely check my private messages on the forum, so if you want to contact me please use my email, or dm me  at oussama40121 on tw

2020-11-08 12:18:09

wow, thanks for creating this. I rarely open reddit do to my country blocking the site so I need vpn to do so. but I defenetly give it a shot as soon as I can. I hope this will become huge someday.

2020-11-08 14:36:42

I tried it, am not really a fan. For one thing, it really should be a GUI. For another, on some subs, it's not speaking the title or cutting in somewhere past the first couple of words of the body of the post it seems. Then, you can't even look at your reply as you type it. I think I'll use the site as I have been, I'm good with it.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2020-11-08 14:59:42

@ironcross, agree.

meow meow.

2020-11-08 15:08:02

Same as @Ironcross. Wile I didn't test it, I'm kind of a 40% fan of text interfaces.

73 Wj3u

2020-11-08 15:10:51

Really glad to see this since Dystopia expires in literally 10 hours! Sad to see, since it's a very nice App.

My opinions are my own. I try not to state them as facts and if I'm not sure about something, I do whatever research I can. I feel everyone should consider doing the same.

2020-11-08 15:19:31

Dystopia won't expire. That's the 90 days each beta gets, but when they refresh it with a new version, it'll come back.

End racism
End division
Become united

2020-11-08 16:58:42

@ironcross32, Well let's hope that the devs pushes out a new version in the next 8 hours.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (@Minionslayer0). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Mastodon at @Minionslayer.

2020-11-08 17:02:06

I've seen it go as low as 3 hours before a new build comes out.

End racism
End division
Become united

2020-11-08 17:44:09

@, Damn! That's pushing it a little tight (however the saying goes). Well, as long as it happens I suppose.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (@Minionslayer0). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Mastodon at @Minionslayer.

2020-11-08 18:39:28

@IronCross I understand, although you can look at your reply with up/down arrow, it will read it back. I was thinking of a GUI, but I think really it should be a game framework where you can totally intercept the keyboard to have something snappy. Thanks for the feedback, this is totally valid.