2020-10-30 08:26:29

The only thing I can come up with is a compromise, and it's not perfect. Turn it back on for now, but if there's trouble and people start using it to hide their wrongdoings, then off it goes again. Or just make a zero-tolerance rule against it. If someone's found guilty of deleting topics to hide, then to Banville they go for a few months.

Then again, people can still delete separate posts that aren't the topic starter or edit their posts to hide anyway, so i'm not sure what the point is in that context. The only real reason I can see for leaving it off is when people just mass delete things and wipe out posts from other people as was talked about before.

2020-10-30 09:32:51 (edited by Ethin 2020-10-30 09:34:15)

@51, problem is that its impossible to prove that someone did delete a post to begin with. Or a topic. Nothing is saved when you delete a post or topic, and the internet archive doesn't take frequent enough snapshots of the website, for that to be viable. At most you can get a good circumstantial case against someone, but you can't prove it with evidence. You might raise the possibility of someone posting something about a post getting deleted, but an easy breaker of that argument is that I can definitely see some people claiming that someone deleted a post when they actually didn't. There's no way to prove it either way, which is the huge problem.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2020-10-30 11:16:24

This is true, unfortunately. Part of why it's not a perfect solution.

2020-10-30 17:59:15

the difference between deleting your posts and deleting the thread is that only one of these deletes content by other users.  Delete posts, and everyone can still see the holes in the conversation.  But also, why is everyone so okay with posting on a thread, then having the OP delete the thread and take out the post you spent time writing?  Hope you didn't spend a long time on that post...

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2020-10-30 21:30:37

Probably because up until recently it was an option for the longest time, and I'm not sure how common someone deleting huge threads was. In my case, I don't enjoy having things that I know how to use responsibly taken away just because someone else can't use them responsibly. Instead of punishing the people who misuse something, the thing just gets taken away from everyone. Unfortunately that's probably due to the limitations of the software in this case, so I understand.

2020-10-31 03:40:08

@55, most likely. This software has a very limited form of access control -- either everyone gets something or they don't. But there isn't much we could do about it.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2020-10-31 17:00:14

@55 In my opinion, there is no way to use this correctly. If you want to delete the first post of a thread, edit it and say [deleted].