2020-10-16 15:50:53

Hi guys.
I am using PuTTY to ssh into my server. The problem is, I don't know how to scroll back up in the terminal. Is there a way to do this with NVDA?
thanks.

If you found this post helpful, amusing or funny, please thumb it up!
To get in touch, please email me using the email link below this post. If you prefer, you can also send me a friend request on discord. I'm thetechguy#6969. Please do not send me a PM on here as I don't check those often.

2020-10-16 16:09:19

I really do not have a complete answer for you on this. Note, I use JAWS most of the time. Here is what I have found while using Putty. I found that the errow keys are past through to your server along with any control char that you hit on your computer. For example, if you hit ctrl C on your keyboard, it is pasted over SSH tyou your server. The short version is that you can errow around VIM, but beyond that I do not know how to scroll back the screen. You should be able to use your screen review commands to see what is on the screen, but I do not know how to scroll back the screen. Note, i have used VIM on a linux computer via SSH before when I tried my hand at Computer science. If I remember right, hitting the insert key on your keyboard also pastes what ever is on your computer's clipboard into your PUTTY window. May not have that command quite right.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2020-10-16 16:51:38

hello, Try object review on NVDA and press 7 and 9 or it's equivalent on laptop, which I think is insert plus up and down.

2020-10-17 05:32:35

@3. I did that, but it doesn't scroll. I need to look at the errors displaying in the terminal, but it doesn't show the whole thing. It says top..

To get in touch, please email me using the email link below this post. If you prefer, you can also send me a friend request on discord. I'm thetechguy#6969. Please do not send me a PM on here as I don't check those often.

2020-10-17 08:14:18

past everything to notepad.

I don't speak as good as I write, and I don't listen as good as I speak.

2020-10-17 08:50:09 (edited by UltraLeetJ 2020-10-17 08:50:44)

its truly a shame that there is no better option for scrolling in a terminal for us.
Add to this the fact that to use alt plus space you need to enable that on an option on PUTTY which is burried somewhere and you need to save it with the session so it persist, and then you are all set. You press alt plus space or make the menu show up, and there is a command to copy the entire content of the terminal window to the clipboard I think you press O to get to it quickly. And yeah, then paste it and review it all in notepad. If there was a macro that opened an empty untitled notepad document with a command on the terminal via that menu, then by all means I would even pay for it.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2020-10-17 09:10:04

apt install tmux

Then type tmux, scroll mode is ctrl+b, left bracket, exit with q, arrow keys and page up/down work.

Alternatively:

mycommand | less

To use less, which also lets you use arrows, etc., plus has a bunch of other functionality like find and replace.

It would be nice if there were an NVDA add-on or something, don't get me wrong, but there's definitely options.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2020-10-20 09:29:53

Since we're on a topic for PUTTY here, is there a shortcut keys for copying and pasting in it?

2020-10-20 12:23:45

@8. To paste, right click. IDK about copying though. I just use NVDA's functions for that.

2020-10-27 18:47:10

I recommend using the ssh included in win10, with the standard cmd prompt. there, you can press alt+space and either select all and copy, like already said, or, much more interesting, choose mark. then you will be able to read everything in the window like a standard edit field.Found about this recently, works great.

2020-10-27 19:24:17 (edited by zkline 2020-10-27 19:25:12)

I'm pretty sure that you can scroll with shift+page-up and shift+page-down, or similar shortcuts. Really though, you're better off redirecting output to a file or a pager or something else rather than trying to read it backwards, especially if it's several screens long.

2020-10-28 03:58:55

@10, open ssh does exist with Win 10, but PuTTY is more advanced.