2020-10-26 19:00:57

I mean, has anyone tried to get some sort of access to pull a backup?  If someone can pull a backup of the server, there's a number of us who could run it.  Audiogames.net itself should cost a grand total of $12 to $15 a month to run.  maybe a little bit more for an e-mail setup like Gsuite.

actually I wonder if we're vulnerable to an sql injection or something, all you really have to do is exfiltrate the data somehow and you can keep the forum.  The database might be a lost cause though, it seems custom.

I kinda feel like going to the webmasters and being like "We want to entirely take this off your hands, can you please transfer the domain name and give us a tar of the server and then you will never again hear from us" might get a response.  But maybe someone has tried that.

In either case, just waiting on a DMCA notice or not doesn't matter though.  No one wants us to become the site that always gets DMCA requests.  That's a great way to start having no end of trouble.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2020-10-26 19:12:23 (edited by queenslight 2020-10-26 19:17:01)

Well, since folks wanted the info...

https://www.whois.com/whois/audiogames.net

And the highlights:

Domain:
audiogames.net
Registrar:
Metaregistrar BV
Registered On:
2002-11-12
Expires On:
2020-11-12
Updated On:
2019-11-13
ok
Name Servers:
elle.ns.cloudflare.com
owen.ns.cloudflare.com
Registrant Contact
NL

Their main site is
https://creativehero.es/

Not much else to share I guess...

2020-10-26 19:33:51

queenslight wrote:

Well, since folks wanted the info...

https://www.whois.com/whois/audiogames.net

And the highlights:

Domain:
audiogames.net
Registrar:
Metaregistrar BV
Registered On:
2002-11-12
Expires On:
2020-11-12
Updated On:
2019-11-13
ok
Name Servers:
elle.ns.cloudflare.com
owen.ns.cloudflare.com
Registrant Contact
NL

Their main site is
https://creativehero.es/

Not much else to share I guess...

So we should see some activity from the webmasters when the domaine expires in 3 weeks time at least.

2020-10-26 19:39:08

@178, not necessarily. They've probably got an automatic renewal setup going, so we'll see nothing from them.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2020-10-26 19:41:49

@177
Whois is useless for finding actual info about domains.  That doesn't tell anyone anything anyone who wants to do something needs to know.  It's a long explanation but the short version is that you go through something like namecheap, which often resells a bigger offering, and then you also get whois guard, which hides all your real information.

My Blog

2020-10-26 20:03:05

@180

Well, they aren't using Name Cheap...

https://www.metaregistrar.com/

, is what they're using.

2020-10-26 20:24:24 (edited by Ethin 2020-10-26 20:24:39)

@181, namecheap was just an example. Metaregistrar is probably similar.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2020-10-26 20:36:55

!182
Agreed.

2020-10-26 20:55:39

Actually, that makes my point.  Whois likes to point at the thing being resold, not the thing that they're buying the domain through.  Click that link and the very first thing you see is them advertising to people who might want to become resellers.

We can't find out anything we want without outright hacking or getting cooperation from whoever has the keys to the kingdom.  End of story.

My Blog

2020-10-26 22:34:45 (edited by defender 2020-10-26 22:37:07)

I see the issues with the vote idea, but the mods would be making the proposals, and as I'm not suggesting that one of the proposals be (get rid of all anti piracy rules) I don't think it's as bad as people believe.
Also, maybe straw poll isn't the best option, I only said it because I figured punBB is easier to mess with than what ever straw poll is using, but restricting it to registered users I think will help cut down on the knee jerk votes.
Ultimately what I really want is to avoid a repeat of what happened last time, where certain mods assumed that many user's arguments were (to use one of Jayde's favorite phrases) made in bad faith, and personal moral bias entered into things too much.
Evidence was largely ignored, and instead of properly tallying the community response, the thread (allot like this one) devolved into several unrelated aspects of the issue.

And yes, I do think big issues like this should be voted on when possible, as long as the proposals aren't (let everything go to hell) and (do what you know is right citizen).

As for making this only apply to titles after the rule goes into affect, that's sloppy but fair, and not without precedent on other sites.  It could solve many of the user's concerns in one stroke.

2020-10-27 00:43:36

Unfortunately, applying the rule only to future titles kind of defeats the purpose. It means that past titles with copyright issues could still very well get us in trouble.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2020-10-27 02:54:16

I standby post #155. I want to know though where's the line? Will clearly game rip offs like Manamon and Sarah and The Castle of Wizardry still be allowed? I understand why those games were made because they were games we all wanted to play but couldn't because of the large price it would cost to get the copyright. How much change of something is enough to have it allowed? If Crazy Party changed all it's sounds and had them pitched and sound different enough would that be okay? I'm sure you see where I'm going with this it's such a grey area all of it. Where do we drawl the line with this so there's no nasty surprises from the admin/mod team, the law, and so on. Can this even be done? Or am I just making mountains out of molehills?

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2020-10-27 03:36:35

First of all, there will be no nasty surprises from the staff team. I trust most of you can agree that we've been pretty transparent about this whole thing. Yes, we mishandled the Vast Horizon thing, if only because it looked like we were playing favourites with something we really haven't enforced elsewhere yet. We acknowledged this and have since been quite clear both with regard to our plans and intentions, and with regard to our willingness to incorporate player feedback.
Concept clones - that is, a game or project that is similar in its execution to something else - get into trouble only if they're borrowing very directly from their source. Manamon has a lot in common with pokemon, but as I've pointed out before, if Temtem can get away with it and be mainstream, Manamon isn't going to have any problems. Crazy Party being a sort of Mario Party+Pokemon hybrid...again, concept clones, but that's not the end of the world, although the card-battle aspect really does have quite a lot of pokemon stuff, right down to types and dozens of move names. I'm not sure if that alone would cause legal trouble - I suspect not - but it's a little gray.
The issue we're discussing here is the unauthorized use of assets, sounds in particular.

So I haven't seen any evidence to suggest that a straight-up vote is a good idea, but I think that users being able to submit feedback about our proposed plan before that plan is enforced is a happy middle ground. This doesn't mean that if twelve of you get really loud and pushy, we'll just scrap it, but it does mean that if something is structurally wrong, or if there's a loophole we haven't found, we'll patch it. I think this is a compromise. Since responsibility rests with us, the actual ability to make that decision should probably rest with us as well. But since this ruling will impact some of you, you have a right to have a meaningful say in how it's set up.

On a side-note: Sarah is one of those games I've wanted to play for just about forever. I feel like I bought the game way way back in like 2012 or something, never got a key and then forgot to follow through on it. I'm not even sure if it works anymore. But that game, as an example, definitely falls into bad territory. It's using a lot of things that belong to JK Rowling and actually making money off them. And I mean, at this point I'm not JK Rowling's biggest fan - she's pretty much lost all of my respect - but that doesn't justify using the things she created to make yourself a profit. Unless, of course, this game actually got the go-ahead in an official capacity, the same way some of G. Norman Lippert's fanfiction has?

2020-10-27 03:49:43

@188
Same goes for all PCS Games really, and GMA Games too, since they are like brothers in how they work together.

Yes, Phil and David gave credit to the music used in said games but, that won't be enough to cover their bases anymore it seems.

2020-10-27 04:10:22

No. In the case of Sarah, it's the fact that you're straight-up using someone else's intellectual property (seriously, freaking Hogwarts Castle in detail) in order to help you turn a profit. I'm actually surprised this one has lasted as long as it has.

2020-10-27 05:13:22

And I feel that Manamon is more of a direct rip off of Pokemon which turns it into a gray area as you said. So that one slides under the table?

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2020-10-27 05:21:35

@Jeffb: And no, this is *not* a moderation post.
Again. Concept clone. Manamon did not lift any specific assets from Pokemon, including but not limited to: specific character/creature names, locations, sounds, etc. Assets, trade-names, and specific game elements are copyrightable. Concepts, however, are not. It's as simple as that.
Your efforts in bringing forth an example of a claim against a game with insufficient evidence, one which wouldn't be pursued further for that matter, are very much appreciated.
Crazy Party, the VH soundpack, you name it: those lifted specific assets, and in the case of VH, the Cosmic Rage developers came forth and confirmed that these assets were lifted without permission. Those are clear-cut cases. Manamon did not lift any assets from the Pokemon series.

2020-10-27 05:28:14

Manamon isn't a gray area.  Manamon is fine.  I have no interest in playing it and don't understand the Pokemon craze in the slightest, but I don't know why people keep turning these discussions into "you can't copy ideas for your plot".  Copying ideas falls under patents, not copyright, which is an entirely different ball game that this community can't deal with anyway, being as even hugely successful companies can trivially violate them without knowing.

If it specifically went out of its way to be Pokemon events but we swapped all the names, that's different.  But I've never seen that claim made.  I can think of at least 2 sighted videogames, at least one anime, and at least 2 book series that use the "I capture/make deals with monsters for power" idea.

My Blog

2020-10-27 06:12:45

This endless gray area discussion is once again why I suggested only allowing directly affected parties to make official complaints, as to massively reduce the amount of second guessing necessary and the subsequent backlash which always inevitably follows just behind the decision.
So I would strongly suggest that one of the proposals includes that as a component at least...

2020-10-27 06:23:49

I would just like to point out that Pokemon-like is such a common theme that there's literally a trope for it. Temtem and a couple animes have been mentioned, but there's clearly a lot more of these.
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Mon
Besides, Lord Lundin supposedly reported Manamon, and look what came of it. tongue Even the developer himself was amused.

Yes, I definitely left the forum. Mhm. Why would you have any doubt?
Code 7 tips: https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/4010 … or-code-7/
Don't forget to be awesome!

2020-10-27 12:12:32 (edited by musicalman 2020-10-27 12:21:06)

*sighs* agreeing with 194 here.

I know the mods want to be fair and deal with any games which are guilty, not just new ones, not just ones reported by devs. No, we have to treat all of them fairly. The trouble is this isn't really a fair situation. Too many people have too many different ideas, and the whole thing is surrounded by grey area.

I am confident I am not alone when I say "If you nuke one, what are you going to do with the 100 more brought to your attention?" some of those will be brought up in so-called bad faith, but many others will not. The potential is there to be overwhelmed by reports, and at the absolute worst, nuking links to half the games in the database or the database entries themselves. If the mods don't turn it into a witch hunt, the community will, and it'll steamroll, to the point of becoming a legitimate problem.

I am concerned about the VH soundpack situation. Sure, some people overdramatized it when the VH soundpack was cracked down on, but if that, a relatively clear-cut case, generated the reaction it did, and even an apology from the mods for the delivery! Then I have trouble trusting other games to be handled more gracefully. Look, I know we're all learning here, but we've been spending a lot of time hashing this out and I don't feel like it's actually doing us good. I really hope I am wrong though and that something good comes out of this.

I know some people won't like this, but I feel like the best way to proceed is to only do something if pressed to do so by a creator, or someone who represents a creator. I know we're trying to avoid legal hot water here, but has there been a case where one illegal group of stolen assets resulted in a complete takedown of a sight and an all-out law suit? We're not hosting roms, we're not hosting pirated content, we're not hosting shady torrents. To my knowledge, any of the big stuff we could get sued for is not here. We're not even hosting games or directly endorsing stolen assets. We're just promoting them as games and distributing links to said games, and we can't take responsibility for what devs do, as we're not in any way directing or biasing them to do one thing or another. If they choose to steal assets, we don't endorse that, but we can't fairly keep track of all assets in all games either, that's not our jobs. Even if we try, there's no nice Utopian rule we can enforce. I think we can all agree. We can certainly take games off the site if asked, but in my opinion at least, and it's probably a stupid and generally unfavored one, but a simple take-down is all we should have to do.

I know this is an old sticking point, but I legitimately need clarification for why this has to be the way the ball rolls, since right now I feel like we're coming off as a bit paranoid, avoiding threats which, if they even happen, may never be as bad as we think they are. Then again, I am also very uneducated when it comes to legal process, so maybe I'm thinking about this entirely wrong. Or maybe I am just an immoral idiot.

Going back to Sara. I thought Phil was on this forum, but I haven't seen him in a while. Would be interesting to hear his take on this. Same with Packman Talks, since that uses a lot of Packman sounds afaik. Not trying to condemn anything, although I acknowledge that it does look a bit shady from an outsider's perspective. But it's also an example of getting on a game's case which has existed for over a decade which previously had no trouble, and where the original devs are fairly distant now. So do we stick to their best interest and leave well enough alone, or do we take it down because it presses on our guilty conscience? What about Jim Kitchen, who no longer can make a case one way or another? Ugh... I have so many mixed feelings on this now... I just need to stop thinking for a bit.
Edit: clarified stuff, fixed typos

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2020-10-27 12:43:27

couldn't some one run a newer and better working version...

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2020-10-27 15:16:58

So, Jayde, my question is, will all PCS and GMA titles be nuked?

2020-10-27 15:32:58

Yeah that was a really weird phrasing of your post queenslight:
Quote:
@188
Same goes for all PCS Games really, and GMA Games too, since they are like brothers in how they work together.
What exactly do you mean by same goes? You could argue that shades of doom uses sounds from doom, which I know at least the 1.2 version does, not sure about the new one. I know that the 2.0 version uses a few sounds from the Locutus mod and I'm not sure if that was with or without his permission. I have a distant memory maybe that it was though. Tank commander, superdogs bone hunt, lone wolf, VIP Mud, GMA Dice, GMA Lander, GMA Cards, and GMA Mine buster are probably okay. Trek 2000 might not be though, since those are definitely star trek sounds being used. Neither is Pacman talks or Sarah.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2020-10-27 16:17:41 (edited by queenslight 2020-10-27 16:33:43)

Sadly, the following questions may never get answered, unless someone contacts David Phil, and all other gaming devs directly (or if they ever see this thread somewhere).
1. Where did they originally get the sounds?
2. Did they ever get permission from official publishers to make them?
3. Where the games just purely made for fans to enjoy?

Same goes for ESP Softworks/Adora Entertainment/Draconis Entertainment.

I never asked James North where he gotten said sounds. Would Draconis even say if they did? Considering that particular company does not share secrets?

Me wonders if one of yall (if you had the time), went through all of the games found in the data base, and saw which games actually gotten permission to use their sounds.
Yes you'd have to go through the ReadMes of each one, but that may be necessary to do so, for  proper conclusion to this mess.

In some ways, comparing this battle on here, is similar to what's going on with YouTube and copyright. But that thread's already been made.

PS. Trek 2000 is "Freeware" now and has been for sometime, but who knows with that one.
Although Sarah does not have any music to do with Harry Potter, that menu music though? Hmmm...
Oh Ten Pin Alley... I hope Phil got permission for that song...
Alien Outback does use some midi songs, though not all of them are.