2020-10-18 19:37:03

Hi,

I am interested in buying a student subscription for Spotify, but have a few questions:
1. Is there a way to access uncensored versions of songs on Spotify, or do you only get censored content on there? (silly question, I know, but I'm asking anyway)
2. The student subscription has to be extended after a year. If I extend it too late and get downgraded to Spotify free, but go back to the student subscription once it has been extended, will songs I have downloaded for offline listening, custom playlists, etc. still be there or not?
3. Are there any major accessibility problems I should know about when making a purchase/Is Spotify known to have accessibility-breaking updates regularly?
That's it for now, if I have more questions, I will post again.

Greetings and happy gaming, Julian

If you say you never lie, you're a liar.
Oh, and #freeGCW

2020-10-18 19:42:58

It's accessible as can be, with a couple of issues.
You can set your sensitive content settings to however you like them.
I'm not sure about the going back to free thing. At least with Apple music, it had a buffer period. And it saved my library to the cloud, I just couldn't access it.
The Desktop app is amazing, by the way.

Heroes need foes to test them. Not all teachers can afford to be kind, and some lessons must be harsh.
Discord: CritterPup
RPG Discord Server: https://discord.gg/QQcHS3Gk

2020-10-18 20:33:42

@2, Thanks for the answers.

Greetings and happy gaming, Julian

If you say you never lie, you're a liar.
Oh, and #freeGCW

2020-10-18 21:00:13 (edited by Minionslayer 2020-10-18 21:00:58)

1. The songs you'd expect all should have radio edits, and there's an option for marking explicit content as so if the marking isn't already there. You should also be able to set if you want explisite content blocked if Spotify detects it.
2. Your playlists should definitely save as that's part of the free plan anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if your downloads were deleted, or possibly just stored with no way for you to access them perhaps?
3. Nowadays, Spotify isn't known to break accessibility issues for their apps at all, in fact, I'd say that the current versions of Spotify are the most accessible I've ever seen.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (@Minionslayer0). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Mastodon at @Minionslayer.

2020-10-19 12:04:53

There are a few accessibility issues, although they're just annoying rather than major problems. On iphone you can't swipe through podcast episodes, you only get through about 2 or 3 before it jumps back to the beginning; so you have to swipe up with three fingers to move to the next set of 3 and feel around the screen with your finger to find out what is there before swiping up again. This wasn't always the case and was introduced in some update, but that was the only time there was an accessibility breaking update that I know of, so definitely not a regular occurrence. Apparently on android, when going through songs they would just start playing without you actually tapping on them, but I don't have an android so don't know too much about that issue. The only thing with the desktop app is it's a bit hard to activate the song menu actions like share or add to playlist. Also, apparently you can just drag songs to add them to a playlist, but for us there doesn't seem to be a convenient way to do this, and the alternative can be rather tedious.

2020-10-19 12:40:33

Hi.
I'll try to answer every question in order.
1. By default, Spotify will show both censored and uncensored content.
2. I unfortunately don't know the terms of the student subscription, so I can't tell you for sure that it will go away after a period of time or not. I do know that in the cases where my parents had to get a different creditcard, I could listen to my playlists, but I couldn't select the songs I wanted to hear specifically. Also, it would shuffle in songs that you hadn't added yourself. Sometimes, you will get a sponsored vid that gives you thirty minutes of ad free listening.
3. The app is pretty much fully accessible. All screens read with Voiceover on iOS. Not sure how well it works on Droids because I unfortunately don't have one

2020-10-19 13:40:15

On android it is more accessible than on ios, it doesn't jump, it lets me swipe between songs on a bottom bar like any sighted would do and it doesn't interfere with what I am doing mostly because I use my back and home buttons with single taps anyway so I know what to touch and what not at the bottom, you can put stuff to playlists and do what ever you want.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2020-10-19 16:11:00

@5 to add songs to playlists you can just use shift up down and your ctrl c+ctrl v commands, I think the spotify team has done a great job on the their apps tbh

kind regards and have a nice day,
marro

2020-10-19 16:24:03

@5 with the songs playing on android with out you touching a song, does not happen to me using a Moto G and Tab A 2019

2020-10-19 18:11:09

So the Windows Spotify is no accessible too? Last time I tried to use it (about two years ago) it was one of the most unusable programs I've ever seen and I have used the web player since. But if there is accessibility now, might as well switch.

We are pleased, that you made it through the final challenge, where we pretended we were going to murder you. We are throwing a party in honor of your tremendous success. Place the device on the ground, then lay on your stomach with your arms at your sides. A party associate will arrive shortly to collect you for your party. Assume the party submission position or you will miss the party.

2020-10-19 19:00:03

yo guys,
So, my Mac finally has arrived. I have a question however, how do you add a song to a playlist on Mac and how do you remove stuff from it? The Spotify app is kinda weird on Mac actually, considering that I come from windows haha.

Take care.
Mike.

I don't play games as much as I wish, but you can know that it's me if there's a John Weed over there. Ha ha!

2020-10-19 19:59:08

@marro, Wow! I didn't know that one. That'd clear some time for me.
@targor, Yep. In fact, I'd say the native player is more accessible than the web one, but that's perhaps just personal preference.
@john_weed, Perhaps delete just works? What about secondary-clicking? How accessible is the context menu?

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (@Minionslayer0). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Mastodon at @Minionslayer.

2020-10-19 21:10:04

how do you right click?

Take care.
Mike.

I don't play games as much as I wish, but you can know that it's me if there's a John Weed over there. Ha ha!

2020-10-19 23:00:03

@Marro, I didn't know that, thanks! I'll try it.

2020-10-20 05:23:54

@13, to right click on Mac I believe you'd press VO+shift+M

Follow me on Mastodon.

2020-10-20 13:30:54

Hi.
Oh, yeah, I tried then and it keeps sucking. Actually the whole app does because in windows it was such a pain to alt tab and alt tab every now and then to add stuff to a playlist, and then if you wished to add more stuff and you didn't alt tabbed you should do then because it won't allow you.
Actually sorry, I'm kind of new to the Mac and I just did the transition in a hurry because I needed a computer to keep studying and my old windows pc just died, but are there any tricks to make Spotify somewhat accessible? Or should I write them again and hope that they would make their stuff accessible for Mac users. I tried the contextual menu or the right click, but it's only a link you know and it won't do a thing.

Take care.
Mike.

2020-10-20 14:37:26

One thing that people may be unaware of is the fact that things like right clicking and contextual menus and etc. Open a list of options at the bottom of the window. So if it feels like right clicking isn't doing anything, try scrolling to the bottom and check if there are any new options.

2020-10-20 16:58:47

Hi.
No no, I actually did scrolled to the bottom of the thingy and it didn't showed me the options. Also, I managed to press the more button on the playlist that I recently made, and it showed me that contextual menu, but there was no actual place to click on, just text.

Take care.
Mike.

2020-10-21 00:09:06 (edited by Orin 2020-10-21 00:10:08)

With shift up/down and copy/paste, shift up and down will select one song after another, but what if you want to select two songs with shift down arrow, then hit down arrow to skip the next one and select the song below it?

Also, with the desktop app, when launching it sometimes I get "spotify premium" in the title and it either takes an extremely long time to load the interface or it just hangs there. Anyone else experience this? I have to end Spotify process in the task manager and it'll eventually work... after it complains that the Spotify app isn't responding for a few re-open tries.

Also, does anyone use the Windows 10 app which is basically the same as the download version on the site? Not sure which gets updated more.

2020-10-21 04:01:32 (edited by Boo15mario 2020-10-21 04:02:41)

@19 I use the windows store version, and I have no issues like that.
edit
I just checked, I am using the free version of Spotify.

2020-10-21 04:02:39

Hi again.
Is it just me? Or the Spotify windows app is somewhat more accessible than the Mac one?
I actually find it awful that every contextual menus open for us as standard plane text, with no siblings or any junk like that. I am still experimenting but kinda hate the app on Mac OS. I'm actually planning to migrate to Apple Music to see if it goes better or not.

Take care.
Mike.

2020-10-21 04:11:40

Those menus are clickable text.

2020-10-21 12:13:11

for the mac spotify app headings are your friend, vo command h and shift h I believe. I'm not sure how contextual menus work with mac and spotify. On windows I can just use object navigation and activate it that way.

kind regards and have a nice day,
marro

2020-10-21 13:26:29

Hi,
Yeah I've been using those headings, however the issue is that I do not know how to add stuff to my playlists. Any tips here? Yeah same, that was what I did with my previous windows machine, mess around the window thingy with the object navigator. We do not have anything like that on VoiceOver do we?

Take care.
Mike.

2020-10-22 21:02:56

@10 i have more accessibility complaints about the web player than the regular application, for  example thereis just a blank menu at the bottum that is just a major replication of itself multiple times with almost no use or abilities to use/change anything inside that menu. Also, you can do ctrl+left/right arrow to change songs, ctrl+up/down arrows ot change volumes, space/space to play/pause songs, ctrl+s for shuffle (togglable and it speaks what it is  currentlys et to if i remember proppperly) and same for repeat but ctrl+r instead of ctrl+s. Spotify premium is very useful sense you don't have to deal with any of those weird adds or limitations. also, the spotify app, of corse, has a menu bar with lables instead of the weird buttons on the chrome or web app or using the  shortcuts on the desktop app. I hope you use spotify desktop app.