2020-10-16 20:13:39 (edited by Rich_Beardsley 2020-10-16 20:16:22)

Taken directly from the App's page on the iOS AppStore:
Version 6.6.0, 1d ago, New user interphase Improved accessibility Interactive Guides New navigation features     Where am I?     Places Search     Places Categories     My Favorites
I installed the update yesterday and I am impressed. First, I like how the app gives you an interactive tutorial when you first open it. Older versions of the app just had the little screens that you could read through. Also, I like how Navigation is a tab, you have a tab to manage your band, and you have your tab with your settings and a few other options. Also, Sunu has added Navigation to the SONAR mode selection, so you have indoor, outdoor, and of course Navigation.
Edit, I also forgot to mention that the app now has a hint button in each section, which can be very useful to anyone new to using the device. Also, the first time you access a feature of your Sunu, it plays the hint

2020-10-16 21:10:14

what is this about?

2020-10-16 21:27:34

Wow, finaly it came to ios.
I had it on android since last year when it started with the beta and yeah, it really makes a difference.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2020-10-16 21:44:48

I didn't use the device for long, but this unfortunately didn't grab me. But maybe I just didn't know how to use it roperly... lol. If someone combined the features of the sunu band with a smart watch like the dot watch, I'd be a lot more excited about it.

Discord: clemchowder633

2020-10-16 22:52:48

I have it and one of the bands is actually falling off, I just don't get it how cheap it was made.

2020-10-16 23:06:52

@5
I was about to say a similar thing. Until they improve the hardware a bit, I don't think it really matters how nice the app is lol. It's like putting gold plate on a turd. Does it look nicer, maybe; when you look deeper though, it's just shit.

Prier practice and preparation prevents piss poor performance!

2020-10-16 23:59:31 (edited by defender 2020-10-17 00:00:23)

@omer
It's a vibrating band with an ultrasonic sensor which scans in front of you.  Used as a mobility aid to detect objects.
I see it as useful for defblind people and those VI people who don't want to/don't need to use a cane, but without solid overhead detection and a better build quality I'm not really interested my self.

2020-10-17 01:53:20

How are people supposed to read the Dot watch? The display is so small

2020-10-17 03:44:43

I wish people would get the hint that just because something *can* be done with tech, doesn't mean it *should* be done. Not just that, but as others have mentioned, build quality. Look, they want to charge out the whazoo for assistive tech, so why the hell are they trying to cut corners with shitty ass build quality.

I am curious though. To those who have the device, does it actually help you? And if so, in what circumstances or environments would you find it most helpful. In other words, what aspect of mobility has the device most aided you?

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2020-10-17 06:39:06

Got me on that one. I eaven want to charge my sunu with some of my cell charger, but unfortunately they're damaged so I really don't even know.

73 Wj3u

2020-10-17 07:13:47

I have something similar, a MiniGuide US, which is smaller than the K-Sonar. I've used it a lot when I was in high school, but now I haven't really been using it.
The K-Sonar was definitely more interesting as it converted the ultrasounds into actual sounds you could hear, but there was no vibrating feedback like what the MiniGuide provided.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2020-10-17 13:50:56

I do have mine and I can say it helps.
When I am on my own, just with it and my cane, it sees the stuff that the cane can't see and I don't bump into signs and stuff as I used to.
One of the bands on it doesn't stay on it properly anymore, so I don't use it as much as I want to because the thing can fall off my hand and believe me, I don't wanna lose it like this.
The only things that are good on it are the sensor itself which is fine, the battery is ok and the vibrating time, but the rest is shit.
The touch pad is plastic and a very, very soft and ruberized one which scratches and can start peeling off from the sides if it feels like it, the micro usb port on the back is stupid, accepts just some cables and it can move, hold the sonar button and render it useless untill you manage to make the thing move back to it's position, don't know how that happens.
Also like I said, the bands are an ok-ish ruber, but with weak links, come on, I am sure there is more metal in the USB end of the cable than it is on this band.
It is one of the reasons I just stuck with mainstream tech in general and I don't have other blind products except mecanic ones like a cane or a brailler, I will probably stick with the ambutech cane I have and gps apps.
And probably a Samsung watch in the future.

2020-10-17 15:40:52

Yeah that really irks me about the build quality.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2020-10-17 22:49:21

Build quality problems are common in AT.  Maybe it's because manufacturers willing to take a risk on such a niche product with such a short run also tend to cut corners, or because the only way the AT company sees to pay the manufacturing fees is to skimp on materials and labor.
I don't think it can all realistically be chalked up to greed, but many companies like to claim that their products are durable regardless of the plain facts showing otherwise.

2020-10-17 23:11:31

oh i, have an almost cain version of that one I believe
wewalk, it also works with an ultarsonic sensor and alerts you when you get near a wall or something
believe the concept is similor

2020-10-18 01:16:27

Oh god smart canes.  Please don't remind me of those stupid, breakable, unwieldy things...
Maybe some day, but not in this decade.

2020-10-18 01:52:22

hahaha your right

2020-10-18 18:04:51

I used the WeWalk for a short period of time and was not impressed. I could be in a wide open space and the device always thought there was something in front of me. It kept vibrating almost all the time.
And as to how the Sunu helps, it tells you about overhead obstacles such as low hanging branches, glass doors, and some things the cane wouldn't pick up. Also, it can help you in lines. You can tell when you have to move up because the intensity of the vibration changes

2020-10-18 18:13:55

they fixed those up later on but, yeah i'M not using that much as well