2020-10-06 22:32:37 (edited by Mudb0y 2020-10-06 22:33:10)

Hi.
Yesterday i went looking for some good books to read after ending Hary Potter as i've already read it like two times.
Found a few books. One of them was neverwhere. Since it popped up on a few more articles a checked a few months back, i decidet to pick it up and read it, and so i did.
I have to say its pretty amazing. Ofcourse one of my favourite characters was Door. Not a big surprize though since i've allways really liked girl protagonists that are kinda unusual rofl. Hunter was also a pretty good character. The angel, forgot its name, was a dick. And lastly, our main protagonist, Richard, was okay. I have a neutral opinion on that guy. Oh and also Anasthasia. Pure girl. She was there just for a few minutes but wont spoil what happened to her for these who want to read it alone.
The story line, while pretty good, contained some things i didn't really like, for example how quickly aanasthasia disappeared. It contained a few hilarious for me, stupit for some jokes for example the fuck her scene, these who read the book wil know, or should know, which scene i'm referencing here roflrofl. Again the overall story was great and i dont have much complains. For these who did already read the book, what do you thing. For these who haven't read it and love fantasy stuff like Hary Potter, i'd strongly advice you to read it as i'm  pretty sure you'll like it if you're in these kind of books.

Proud contributor to the manjaro project! www.manjaro.org

2020-10-06 22:37:09

I had great fun with this book. I was especially creeped out by Mr. Croup and Mr. Vandemar.
I didn't get much out of Door, honestly, and the same holds true for Richard. But I loved the way that the other London, the one beneath, is so decidedly creepy and alien without being completely different. There's just enough to make things unsettling.
Gaiman does unsettling really, really well, in my opinion, so he plays to his strengths here. There's a reason why he's big on dark fantasy; it fits him.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2020-10-07 03:20:58

As a bit of a warning, this post might just include a few spoilers.
As for me, Richard just seemed like a tag along weakling for the first part of the book. Came off as someone who had no idea what trouble he was getting into, nor how to deal with it. I say that the term lost would be the correct term for him at the beginning. Now Mr. Croup and Mr. Vandemar was creepy. It took me a bit to realize who their employer was. Let’s just say that when this being goes bad, they go real bad and might not be the brightest to let Door have the upper hand. Oops, did I give a few spoilers there? Now, the trader is not exactly who one may think, but when it becomes clear who they are, it is like a stab in the back. What I was not expecting was what happened to Richard. Let’s just say that I was not expecting the choice that he made at the end. If you enjoyed the book and looking for a bit more entertaining, here is a nasty thought. How much, if any, of this book took place in Richard’s head? I know that there was the key scene where he had to meet up with the monks and the scene at the end where he meets up with his office mates, and his friends at the bar. Here is a spoiler. People thought he took a vacation, or went crazy for a time per say. As for Door, she just really came off as someone that just was used to get things moving in the right direction or that is how it seemed at times. Beyond that, there just is not much there when it comes to Door as far as I can tell. Found it interesting that just a hint to what happened to Atlantice was given in just one scene in the book without anyone asking to many questions. Quick spoiler, Anasthasia is the one that was takened by the night right? Poor girl indeed, but she might not be dead. The key word there is might, and @stasp I can see why you would like Door. From my view, that is one character that can be filled out a bit more. She is likeable though.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2020-10-07 09:30:41

Croop and Wandemar are good murderers, but they didn't even creep me out that much. They were just tipical stupit antagonists.

2020-10-07 09:58:38 (edited by Dark 2020-10-07 09:58:58)

Neverwhere is a personal favourite of mine.
I first was introduced to it when the 1996 miniseries aired in the UK< an adaptation which is still a favourite , actually while the 2013 radio play wasn't bad, imho the miniseries worked rather better, mostly because much of the book was written at the same time that Gaiman wrote the series, so a lot of the moments, actors and reactions worked the same way.

it actually is sort of a half way house between novelisation, and adaptation.

Myself, I actually liked the way Richard developed as a character, starting out as a typical corporate cog, dominated by his beautiful, but very bitchy girlfriend, and then after actually doing the unthinkable and offering help to a homeless person in trouble, he winds up involved with something he just is totally unprepared for, then rises to a lot of challenges (what he goes through to get the key is pretty horrible), and finally goes home, only to realise that going home was just not what he wanted.

Personally the hole thing with Anaesthesia worked for me, since it just shows how dam harsh this world that Richard has stumbled into really is.
The point when the Marquis says to Richard "If you make it through the first day, you might survive as long as a month," is actually almost a true representation of just how dangerous the world of London below is, for people who don't really know the rules or where to go.

It's really a perfect hero story, there's not much else to say, oh, and I never think of the gap under underground trains quite the same way again big_smile.

My favourite character is probably the Marquis decarabas, who is just so dam awesome, and also has a totally unexpected plot, but quite honestly, there is little to think of that is negative about neverwhere, and no characters I thought were superfluous.

obviously, there is a lot unanswered, what the debt was the Marquis Owed door's family, Whether Door's sister is actually alive or not, who croop and vandamar really are etc, but that's just the mark of a good fantasy, it's a complex dark world and we always get there is more under the surface.

Btw, there is a story which serves as a coda of sorts. "how the marquis got his coat back", which shows a bit more of London below including the Elephant of Elephant and castle, and the shepherds of shepherds bush.
Door and Richard make brief appearences, but it's mainly a Marquis story, which is why it featured in the collection Rogues, edited by George R R Martin, though I believe it's also available as a single story edition as well.

Gaiman has said a novel length sequel entitled the seven sisters is planned, and apparently he's even writing it, which would be all sorts of awesome!

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2020-10-07 14:09:04

Yeah, i cant wait for that sequel. The entry on bookshare says that the expected release is in 2021, and i hope thats either that or sooner. If its going to be delayed i'm going to be sad. I also want to watch the mini series, i thing i'm going to do that today.

2020-10-07 14:48:24

Hi,

If you enjoy books with a female protagonist and are looking for new books, I’d recommend the dark Magician Trilogy by Trudi Canavan, The Magicians Guild I believe is the first book in the series. you mentioned you enjoyed the harry potter series, although these books are different they do share similarities such as the main female protagonist discovering she possesses magical powers she doesn’t know about. there are other similarities too, but I don’t want to spoil the books,  personally I really enjoyed the series. Thanks for the recommendation of neverwhere, I’m always on the look out for new books so I’ll check this one out.

Paul Lemm

2020-10-07 20:31:52

Agreed good book. You should check out the BBC version well done!

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2020-10-07 21:06:42

Yeah. I've already watched the first two episodes.

2020-10-07 21:44:02 (edited by Mudb0y 2020-10-07 21:44:49)

@3 What choice are you exactly talking about. Richard returning to London above or going back to London below? If you're talking about the first one, didn't like that choice either.
As for the thought about that happening in Richards hed, DO NOT DARE TO MAKE ME DEPRESSED EVEN MORE roflrofl.

2020-10-07 21:50:25

Glad your liking the miniseries, as I said, to me it's an old friend.
The radio play had some nice bits, but in general I just prefer the way the miniseries did things, EG the angel sounding far more nice, and Vandamar being scottish.

@lemm, I'm afraid I wasn't as crazy on Trudy Canavan's black magician trilogy myself. The style I felt cumbersome, and Sonea as a protagonist I found frustrating much of the time, since mostly she just sat and calculated and waited for other people to act before her, while she wayed up whether she liked them or not, it made her quite a cold and calculating character rather than the tough, scrappy street kid I think Canavan intended.
I also I really didn't like where she ended up romantically, although the series in general did get better as it went on, and the third book was mostly all sorts of awesome, indeed I've had a mind to reread the series plus the sequel trilogy just on the strength of the third book even if it means wading through the other two.

If you want a book with an amazingly awesome female protagonist I'd recommend skyward by brandon sanderson.
It's a scifi novel about a planet under constant invasions, the main character is a girl who wants to be a pilot, but is fighting against the fact that her father was a coward who allowed a major defeat to happen.

It's first in a trilogy, and my lady and I will be going on to the second two as soon as Sanderson bringgs out the third book next year.

I can also recommend, if you like weird fantasy dealing with our own world and a hidden world, the library at mount char by Scott Hawkins, one of the best books by a new writer I've read for a while.

It's about a woman called Caralyn who basically is a librarian at a library outside reality run by a godlike, and very cruel entity.

More than that I can't really say, since the book is really hard to classify as either fantasy, horror, apocalypse or something else.
Find my reviews for both of these books here on fantasybookreview.co.uk,  along with all the other book reviews I've written, including one for Niel Gayman's Stardust.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2020-10-07 23:38:09

Hi,

I Didn’t realise neverwhere was by Neil Gaiman,  I haven’t read any of his stuff before but have heard good things about his writing. I’m a big Terry Pratchett fan and I’ve been told the two authors have some similarities in writing, I enjoyed the Good Omens tv adaptation from last year which I believe the book was a Pratchett and Gaiman joint work. I’ve been meaning to check out Neil Gaiman for a while , so since Neverwhere seems to be well recommended I’ve added it to my Audible listens, once I’ve finished my current book I’ll be looking forward to checking it out.
@Dark, that’s a shame you didn’t enjoy the first two books in the Dark Magician trilogy, I enjoyed the series and binge read the whole thing pretty quickly. I tend to not reread books, or not at least  for a long while, with all this talk of the series I’ll maybe give it a reread at some stage and see how well it stands up on that second read through. I actually have Skyward  in my Audible reading list already, but just haven’t gotten round to it yet, but I do like Sanderson so I’ll be looking forward to checking it out when I get some time. The other book you recommended sounds interesting to, I’ll check out your link/review. Thanks for the recommendations as ever.

Paul Lemm

2020-10-08 01:48:59

10 I was talking about the second choice. I was thinking that he would go for the first choice seeing how bad he wanted it, and how well it would have had tied things up in a ok way. His last choice to go back under was pretty good though. Him opening the door to do so was interesting. It happening in his head would be a good way to play with your mind wouldn't it? To me, him talking to his friend before he went and made his last choice is basicly where I got that idea from, but that may just be on how it appeared...

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2020-10-08 03:15:17

Another good our-world-but-bent sort of book is Un Lun Dun by China Mieville. It's a bit more young-adult, but still pretty dark in places. It actually reminds me of Neverwhere quite a bit, albeit with less horror and slightly more fantasy. There's a ton of difference though, so don't let similarity make you think both books are just copies of one another. They're very definitely not.

Dark, thanks for the heads-up about that Sanderson book. That's one I've got to look up eventually, because I generally like Sanderson quite a lot. I found Vin from the Mistborn series a very good protagonist as well, admittedly. He does female characters pretty well on the whole, I'd say. Characterization is something Sanderson does well. I've seen it done better, but he's near the top of the pack for me, and it's rare that he writes a dud of a character.

2020-10-08 03:55:32

If we want to talk about Mieville, and you want a sort of Neverwhere vibe, Kraken is also a good one. For some definition of good.  I enjoy it if I'm in the right mood.

For a "cities are weird and we all just don't notice" sort of thing: I will recommend Matthew Swift by kate Griffin for any reason whatsoever, but it actually fits here.  It's very much higher power/action/whatever, and the main character is certainly not lost in another world, but it's got a lot of the poetic/dream vibe and is, honestly, not at all what the description of it would have you believe.

My favorite Gaiman is Ocean at the End of the Lane, but if you've only just found him and you haven't done a lot of urban fantasy/horror stuff, American Gods is well-known for a reason.  But the middle is a slog, and he definitely hit his stride as an author later.

Going further afield, The Night Circus by Morgenstern is very Gaiman-esk.  But long, slow to start, and--for lack of a better way to put it--much, much more adult than anything gaiman has ever written.  Not as in "they all have sex" or anything like that, it's kind of hard to put it into words what I mean when I say adult here.  In Neverwhere Richard goes off and has a "adventure" if you will, in the way that a YA protagonist would, just grown up; and for most of Gaiman's work, that's what happens.  But Night Circus is more they have lives and those lives happen to have adventure in them.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2020-10-08 04:18:03

American Gods was great, but you're right, it does lag in places.
Night Circus is on my list of books to read one day. I hear it's chaotic, messy and beautiful all at once.

2020-10-08 12:18:54

So i went a bit in to HP wibes again, and started reading magisterium. Seems nice so far, all be it i dont thing adults would enjoy it very much because of the simple fact its written more for children. I'm enjoying it so far though.

2020-10-08 19:04:49

@Lem, with Canavan, the books did get better as they went on, in style and in terms of general plot progression, though I'm afraid Sonea's over all lack of motivation and calcuation sort of irritated me throughout the trilogy. I have had it in mind to reread and review them though, particularly since there is a sequel series about Sonea's son which delves more into the blood magic aspects of the series, as well as a prequal.
Plus of course, since when I read them in 2012, I was recovering from a badly sprained and almost broken arm and pretty much just on my back reading for a week, it's possible my view of them was a bit prejudiced big_smile.

I wouldn't say Pratchett and Gaiman are particularly similar writers, though good omens is worth a read. With Gaiman I've enjoyed most of his adult books, though his norse mythology title odd and the frost giants was disappointing.
American Gods, stardust, coroline and Ocean at the end of the lane are all all sorts of fantastic, as are his short story collections, which often contain stories that tie back to his adult fiction.
I was less fond of Anancy boys, which is sort of the companion to American Gods, since there the comedy made the plot a bit thin I thought, though it did have some fun moments all the same.

@Camlorn, with Mievel I've only read Embasy town, Realsea and the  Vaslag trilogy so far. Actually if we're talking unique books with female Protagonists, Embasy town would definitely qualify imho big_smile.
I'll have to give unlundun a try.

The Night circus was interesting. The style was gorgious the poetry perfect, the romance stylised, and yet the plot just didn't seem to work out. We kept being promised something dark was going to happen, and there would be consequences to the magic, and there just never were, it's odd, I don't think I've ever quite read a book like The Night Circus which was both as amazingly and beautifully written, and so down right badly plotted at the same time, and yet the writing, and style almost entirely makes up for the errors in plot.
I wrote a formal review which you can find on the above link to my profile.

@stasp, I've read the odd children's book if it's interesting enough, indeed I'm quite a fan of pretty much anything written by Dianna Wynne Jones, indeed my lady and I are reading one of hers at the moment.
Think sort of dark surrealist comedy with magic elements, although the one we're reading is probably the only one of two adult fantasy books she ever wrote, that is books with adult protagonists and sex in, though other than that pretty much the same as her books aimed at kids or young adults in terms of magic, weird humour, characters who are both delightfully self centred and strangely likable, and usually a lack of anything too dark, although she does have her moments on occasion just to give things some intrest.

2020-10-08 20:20:22

Hi,

@ Jayde and Camlorn, thanks for the recommendations. Whilst looking for Neverwhere yesterday I did stumble across American gods, which I downloaded since I’ve heard lots of people talk about that one before. Regarding Matthew Swift, years ago I remember someone recommending this, she said it was one of her favourite books/authors (I think it was a madness of angels, or wolves of something or other), I’d totally forgotten about the recommendation until you mentioned it here, so I’ll definitely check that one out, now you’ve reminded me of it.
@Dark, I actually didn’t realise there was a prequel or sequel to the dark magician Trilogy, I’ll definitely check that out. I did read another of her book Series I think called ‘Age of five’ which I didn’t enjoy as much as the dark Magician Trilogy. If you do get round to re-reading the series and reviewing the dark Magician Trilogy I’d be really interested in reading the review.
On a final note, since Brandon Sanderson has come up a couple of times, I’ve recently read Arcanum Unbounded,  which is a book filled with short stories by Sanderson which  connect some of his worlds/book series together. There are a couple of interesting short stories in there with female protagonists. in the first short story of the book I liked the main female character but also enjoyed the magic systems he uses (in fact I think good magic systems is something he does really well as an author). One of the short Stories in the book is ‘Mistborn: The secret history’, as a mist born fan I really enjoyed this, you see the mist born trilogy play out again but from a different angle /perspective  and its clever how some of the stuff which happens in this story directly affects what happens in the actual trilogy, in fact I had to read mist born again after reading this to see how it all tied together with the extra knowledge   the  secret history gave, it also has Kelsier as the main character of the book, which I enjoyed since I really liked his character in the series. When I read a brief description of what the Misborn secret history was about I was a little dubious around the concept/idea, but in fact I think Brandon Sanderson does a great job of it and for fans of the mist born series and Vin  it’s a really interesting read, clever how he must have had this  book planned whilst making the original trilogy, in the words of Kelsier ‘There’s always another secret’!. A word of warning though, the secret history contains a lot of spoilers for mist born, so it’s definitely not recommended before reading the original Mistborn Trilogy, there are also some spoilers for the sequel wax and Wane series set in the same world.

Paul Lemm

2020-10-08 20:40:31

@19
The first Matthew Swift is a very very well done urban fantasy about a sorcerer accidentally fused with what is, essentially, a personified god of telephones (which involves rather a lot more lightning and mass destruction than you'd expect).  The second one is him vs. the literal personified death of cities, and that's not even a spoiler.  unfortunately they fall in the "I can't describe this well" category, but it's the sort of series where a London underground ticket and a weird perspective on the world can make a ward against monsters, for some idea of the tone.

My Blog

2020-10-08 20:41:26

@Lem,  Magic systems are sort of what Sanderson does in general and something he's good at. I will say, while I have enjoyed all of his books I haven't found them all equal.
I loved Skyward, but for a revelation about the protagonist that occurred in the book (see my review on fantasybookreview.co.uk for a full discussion).

Mistborn was amazing in the first book, dragged a bit in the second and third but came together well, though I was less keen on the Wax and Wane series set later, since while the world was interesting, the characters and over all plot seemed to get going less, plus there were some characters I just plane was less keen on.
Also, I personally was less a fan of the secret history's take on Mistborn, since I personally prefer dead characters to stay dead, and am not really into character resurrection unless there is a really good reason.

I loved Arcanum unbounded generally as a collection, albeit it was annoying that it was recounted from the pov of Crystlia from white sands which is a graphic novel series and thus inaccessible (thanks Sanderson), though I did recently hear an audio drama of the first white sands book from Graphic audio which explained who she was at least.

With Sanderson's other stuff, Warbreaker and the Stormlight archive are truly amazing, Rythmetist was a bit disappointing but fun as far as it went, Elantris was definitely a first novel unfortunately, and I confess while I read the reckoners and they were okay, interesting for the powers but disappointing in  characters, , while the Rhythmetist was interesting for the world, but really needs a sequel to make it complete, while I confess I didn't care for the two legion novellas, mostly because the main character is a bit in love with himself and a bit of an arse.

Unfortunately, I'm getting to the point where Sanderson's familiar character tropes are a bit obvious, he likes martially compitant underdog male characters with a leader complex, and schollarly females with a habbit of mouthing off at inconvenient times.
That's why Skyward was a breath of fresh air, since Spin felt like a new character, and also why the graphic audio white sands was a trifle disappointing, since the protagonists there just felt like a redux of Caladin and Shalon without their interesting backstory or quirks.

2020-10-08 23:29:51

Hi,

@Camlorn, that’s peaked my interest further, I’ve just taken a look for the series on audible and RNIB, I can’t find an audio book version, do you know are the books in audio format? if so I’ll keep looking as I always prefer audio books, but if not I’ll find a kindle version.
@Dark, I agree with your thoughts on the Wax and Wayne series , although I like the concept that he would have three separate trilogy’s set in the same world but centries apart in different time periods, the mist born, then one in a more modern setting  and then a more sci-fi style trilogy set in the same world and with the same magic system  but far into the future. However, the wax and Wayne series just didn’t hold my attention like the original mist born Series. As for Kelsier  being the main character for the secret history, that was the bit I was dubious about, however I think in the setting of the world and its mythology it kind of seemed to work ok, but as a general rule of thumb I’m dubious of that kind of stuff in books.  Regarding other Sanderson stuff, I’ve only read Arcanum  Unbounded, Alantris,  the mist born series, Storm light  and very recently war breaker. I’m a big wheel of time fan,  it was actually Sanderson’s excellent ending to the series which first introduced me to him as an author, I think it’s some of his best writing, although I appreciate you could argue that it wasn’t his work since he was completing Robert Jordon’s books, however he did still have to write them and I think he did a great job, although as a lot of wheel of time fans will say the books get a little lost in the middle of the series , but I think it’s Brandon Sanderson that picks up the pace and adds an excellent finish to the series. Actually it will be interesting to see what they do with the upcoming Wheel of time  TV series, since there is a lot of good content in the books but a lot of unnecessary stuff too, so hopefully the series can  capture the good  whilst removing some of the less important stuff where the books seem to drag a little.

Paul Lemm

2020-10-08 23:41:33

@22
I wouldn't know. I hate audiobooks because I pleasure read at 400 words a minute or so.

My Blog

2020-10-09 01:23:09

Hi,
@Camlorn, my other half is the same, she enjoys reading braille and can read incredibly fast. For me, losing sight later in life I haven’t had quite as much contact with Braille, I was lucky that work funded equipment such as Jaws, OCR software etc, but it meant there wasn’t a huge need for Brail at work. I learnt Brail though when my little boy was born so I could read children’s stories to him. so although I can read brail I’m not particularly fast, so I tend to get more enjoyment out of audio books. I’ll listen to kindle and with a good screen reader or having them read through Alexa is an option which isn’t too bad, but for me it’s not quite the same as a well voiced audio book. Either way if I can’t find this as an audio book I’ll definitely check it out on kindle and again thanks for the recommendation.

Paul Lemm

2020-10-09 08:17:46 (edited by Dark 2020-10-09 08:20:13)

@Lem my thoughts are the same on audiobooks, while I did read a lot of books in braille at one point, I always tend to prefer audio if possible.
Since we recently had This topic, about the wheel of time it's probably not worth repeating everything here.

Interestingly enough, I've just bought my lady a Green Aja T shirt for her birthday since she's a total WoT fan girl, we're sort of waiting in dread to see what gets done with the series.
Sanderson did finish things off well, there was a slight break in style, though that was to be expected, although some characters like Mat did suffer slightly in Gathering storm before Sanderson got his groove really going, and A memory of light being basically one giant battle felt very Sanderson, though of course by the same token it is the last battle to basically determine the fate of the world so didn't want to be a disappointment.

If you haven't read thee Stormlight books Lem, you really should, they're imho Sanderson's best, grim as hell, with a really unique world, and some really clever plotting, indeed the third book does something I would not have expected, and tells the back story of a character from the first book, which makes you think of him in an entirely different light.

I won't spoil it, but suffice it to say, it's an incredibly clever bit of plot.

I don't tend to think Sanderson is next to god the way some people do, or hale everything he's written as a classic, like any author he has books I thought were better or worse than others, but Stormlight truly is exceptional.