2020-10-01 02:03:17

I have this issue that I've been dealing with for awhile now, and I don't know how to fix, it seems my screen readers both jaws and NVDA are having mature trouble when it comes to working in web browsers. when I use jaws, I keep losing the page scroll, and get this odd Line upPage upPositionPage downLine downColumn leftPage leftPositionPage rightColumn rightSize boxVerticalLine upPage upPositionPage downLine downHorizontalColumn leftPage leftPositionPage rightColumn rightSize bo message. when I use NVDA, it just goes black and I can't read anything on the pages at all. I don't know what's causing this, as I've tried resetting my browser settings, I use chrome, and that didn't work. I've even tried getting all the latest windows updates, as well, as resetting my display settings. NOthing I've tried has worked so far, and I am now at a loss.

Steam ID: Lord_raven86
XBOX ID: Lord Raven9232
Discord: Lord_raven86

2020-10-01 02:40:36

Wow! That's strange. i have had some screen-reader issues myself over the years, but I don't think I've experienced one like yours. I primarily use NVDA and haven't encountered this issue, not yet anyway. Have you tried running your screen-readers in any other browser? It might not solve anything, but I just thought it might be something to try.

2020-10-01 03:14:43

I've tried it in firefox, jaws doesn't work at all, and NVDA, it somewhat works, but I lose information alot.

2020-10-01 05:00:53

Probably some component somewhere in the Windows folder got unregistered, and since Windows is stupid like that I don't know of an easy way to fix this. NVDA has an option called COM registration fixing tool under it's tools menu, try running that and seeing if it helps. If not, using the command prompt try typing sfc /scannow command to scan any system files and see if it reports any issues. If it was me, I'd just reinstall the system, but I know this is far from an optimal solution for everybody. Plus, I had this once on a new Windows install that just received an update which broke screen reader virtual buffers somehow, which was very annoying.

2020-10-01 05:04:58

I have never experienced the listed screenreader issue, but I have a really, really strange one that I challenge any of you to explain.

This glitch focuses on Jaws, and the letter g.
My laptop is an HP Pro-book, if that matters. 16GB of RAM, a quad-core i5 that doesn't lag at all.
If I open the lip of my laptop and close it, jaws will randomly say "4", for no reason I can understand. At that point, when I open any sort of control that can be edited (a form field, data entry of any kind) the g key doesn't work. If I type fast enough, my computer will simply stop registering letters, but it always starts with g. All I have to do to fix it is restart Jaws.
It's happened ever since I got this machine, and happened with Jaws 2018 and Jaws 2020. It happened after the disc was wiped and Windows reinstalled after a keyboard issue. It's an easy fix, but a really bizarre bug that I have no explanation for.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2020-10-01 05:20:42

That's indeed very curious and something I can't say I saw before. If it was me, I would try and see if it happens without Jaws as well. If it does, then you can know it's not a screen reader issue. If it doesn't, well, fortunately it isn't too annoying to deal with. I mean, you did say it focuses on Jaws but my thoughts were that perhaps you didn't try it without Jaws. If you did, then it's unfortunately irrelevant smile

2020-10-01 05:31:36

@coldshadow
If you are running NVDA in portable mode, try installing it and running that copy if you have administrator rights.

@Jade
Techno gremlins, that's my only explanation.

2020-10-01 22:46:13

I have a full NVDA installed, I've tried the sfc scan and com registration, nothing fixes it, I'm starting to really wonder if chrome is bugged, because everything else I do on the computer works fine, its just when I'm on the web.

2020-10-02 01:28:27

@Coldshadow
At this point I would say:
A. Double check that you are in browse mode (if NVDA) or that the virtual cursor is active (if JAWS) and that the Window is maximized.
B. make sure Chrome is totally up to date... (Version 85.0.4183.121) or later.
C. Do a full virus scan with something like Avast or Malware Bytes.
D. Make a restore point and then try a different version of your display drivers.
E. Create a portable install of NVDA without copying your user settings to it, and then test with that version instead.
F. Contact FS phone support with detailed notes on your problem.
G. Make a secure backup of all your important data (ideally two in separate places) and reset Windows.