2011-06-15 08:53:42

H.
I assume this question is mainly for people who live in UK:
I've reasonly discovered that BBC have audiodescribtion on some of their digital channels. I can choose between 3 channels from BBC here in Denmark: BBC world news, BBC entertainment and BBC Lifestyle. Does any of these channels have audiodescribtion on movies or other series? I'm very interested in the BBC channels since I have a totally accessible digital tv tuner to my Mac where I can easily see all the information about each channels. So if any of these BBC channels have audiodescribtions, I'll gladly hear about it.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2011-06-15 11:35:38

Hi Slj.

This is actually a case where the bbc puts out different channels overseas to what they put out here, sinse here we have bbc1, bbc2, bbc3 etc.

However, it is true several programs have audio description though this needs to be enabled digitally and won't be there by default, ----- my tv for instance doesn't have the facility for it, though my parents' digital tv does.

So your best off just trying it out.

Bare in mind though, it's only on some programs, not on everything, usually major series like doctor who.

That being said, bare in mind I really don't watch much tv, I prefer dvds and am actually looking at cancelling my tv license, sinse most tv now is celebrity rubbish or reality rubbish, both of which I find utterly pointless, and for what series I do watch, it'd be cheaper to buy them on dvd than pay the license.

Interestingly enough, the one channel I do watch a lot at my parents' is sky one, because they show innumerable episodes of the simpsons and futurama everyday.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-06-15 11:51:49

Hi Dark. thanks for the info. well, having a totally accessible solution, I have no difficulty on switching audio channel to enable the audiodescribtion. I might contact BBCto ask them if they have any audiodescribed programs on one of the channels I can get.
I truely see your point of buying dvds with audiodescribtion, but the thing is that we can't do that here in Denmark. Or, we can, but that's only 4 or 5 movies. I don't know for english titles though. Therefore I would get much more if I could watch audiodescribed programs from BBC.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.

2011-06-15 22:44:37

Indeed it is generally by program rather than by channel.

Actually only a few series come with audio description at all, Doctor Who being one of them. If you're in region 2 SLJ you could probably find them somewhere, I believe it was the series boxed sets and that the menus themselves even speak.

I'm glad it wasn't just me looking at that option Dark. Buying a few series of Futurama, Mythbusters and so on on DVD would be cheaper than keeping up both my TV license and Sky subscription for what I watch and would let me watch what I want when I want to. I'd be losing the audio description but I can live with that for saving about £27-30 a month.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2011-06-16 09:15:55

Sorry, what do you mean by region 2?
Yeah, I know that audio description is program based and not channel based. But if any of these 3 programs I can get from BBC doesn't send any programs which is audio descriped, it would be pointless for me to pay for it. I can record tv shows and watch them later if I wants to.

Best regards SLJ.

2011-06-16 10:35:54

for some insane reason, dvds (and games), sold in different parts of the world are not compatible with systems in other parts. This is why if you want to watch imported films or play games not released in your country you often need to have special equipment.

Europe, like the Uk is region 2, aka Pal, thus you'll be able to get and play the same dvds as we can in the Uk, where as if you were in Asia or america things would be different.

Well your probably best off just asking, or else checking with the audio description service, though I'd highly recommend getting the doctor who dvds, audio described menues as well as programs pluss lots of special features which you can also access due to the menues.

Myself, while I certainly like audio described stuff very much, I'm not aversed to watching things without it, and most of the films and series I have on dvd are not described.

i am for instance currently rewatching babylon 5, which is a great series but has no audio description.

Actually, on sky 1 some episodes of simpsons and futurama are also described which is good.

Simpsons and futurama are actually things I'd not buy on dvd myself, sinse while I enjoy watching them I don't know how much rewatch value many of them have, however sky 1 shows them near constantly anyway and I can watch that at my parents.

If there was a cheap subscription that could get me just! sky 1 I'd considder it, but I've not found a package that sutes me so I just have the usual digital channels like bbc 1-3, E4 etc.

In fact the only reason I really stil own a tv is that it's a very large plasma affair that I use as a computer monitor and have my Snes and gamecube plugged into so that I can play graphical games.

For specifically described stuff, I believe there are places on the net where you can get just the audio of films and tv series with a description as an audio file like an mp3.

Personally though, sinse I stil have enough vision to appreciate the visuals I do not know much about these, but maybe someone else can point you in the direction of where to get them.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-06-17 08:34:19

You might need to go to the trouble of finding the UK version of Doctor Who though, and probably watch it in the english version since the description is in english. Of course since the show is originally filmed in english some might say this gets you closer to the original intent of the show. I'm sure Amazon UK can probably ship within Europe for this purpose.

Well Dark if its a case of paying for DVD's of Futurama or paying £20 a month for a subscription I'd rather buy the DVD's. I don't have the option of watching it at someone else's, partly because I'm only rarely round at mum's since she's just around the corner and usually comes here and partly because while my sister likes it mum can't stand it. I've been tempted to get it on iTunes so I can carry it on my iPhone without hassle but the prices on there are atrocious, they're set by the studio I presume and while some shows are reasonable Futurama is often £30 or more.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2011-06-17 08:40:23

Thanks for the information. I didn't knew that we're using the same region. Well, that means it's time to buy lots of stuff. haha.
I've not heard much about doctor who, but I'll check it out.

Best regards SLJ.

2011-06-17 14:19:40

www.tvhelp.org.uk has a list of audio described DVD's, but they're in english to warn you. They may or may not sell a different edition in your country so it's worth double checking, like I said if necessary you can buy from Amazon UK. Not many series at all sadly but a fair choice of films.

cx2
-----

2011-06-20 09:19:08

Hi.
I've contacted some movie shops here in Denmark, and as suspected, people don't know anything about audio describtion. I've noticed a really odd issue: Many of the dvd's which does have audio describtion, doesn't even have an audio describtion label on the dvd case, which means I can't make sure if the dvd I purchase does have audio describtion or not. an example is Avatar. The dvd does have audio describtion, but it's not mentioned on the case. How should people know then? The LOTR movies doesn't have audio describtion if I buy these here in dk. I'm really wandering how you can get these audio described in the UK, when we're using the same region¨.
I'm pretty much confused and it's really odd that audio describtio isn't mentioned on the dvd case. So now I can't just go out and buy a dvd and make sure it have audio describtion, because I don't know what country the dvd is imported from. LOTR is a great example of that, and Avatar is a great examle of buying a dvd, and get surprised when you find out that it have audio describtion. well, that means I have to buy my movies in the UK, or sadly get these in other ways to make sure I don't get a dvd without audio describtion.

Best regards SLJ.

2011-06-20 13:53:13

Maybe the DVD's in Denmark are published by a different company or a different branch of the same company thus meaning they're a different version altogether? Or maybe they're a different language version and they don't happen to have a danish audio description track for that movie? Most movies already have an english audio desc track produced because some cinemas hav audio description in them, so they only need to put it on the DVD without any real extra expense.

cx2
-----

2011-06-21 08:40:59

Most dvd's we buy here in Denmark is only in english, of course only if the movies are in english. smile If I buy a english dvd, the dvd it self isn't made here in Denmark, but imported from other countries. That's the reason for Avatar is audio described here in denmark as well.

Best regards SLJ.

2011-06-21 10:49:33

Very strange then. Of course big business is known for its stupidity.

I know a lot of DVDs here are supposedly labelled as audio described if they have it, though not all. If they made a different insert for the Danish imports that might be another explanation.

cx2
-----

2011-06-21 14:28:05

Just a slight correction Cx2, actually on many occasions the audio description provided in cinemas and on dvds is different because the audio description is considdered not a track of the film, but property of the cinemas.

That's why some films had audio description in cinemas and not on disk and visa versa.

In fact I've even heard that the british audio description service has sometimes had to produce four or five different descriptions for the same film, one for dvd release, one for cinema, and one for each tv network that airs it, because stil it's not considdered as part of the film but an extra.

yes, this is insane, but then again the entire audio description treatment is pretty insane anyway, for instance cinemas have flatly stated they will not show audio described films all the time, becaue it ma disturb other people, ---- even though nobody will here the audio description in the cinema unless they're wearing the headphones.

I've also seen cases where one dvd release of a film had the audio description, and another does not, or of series like torchwood which were audio described on tv, but not on dvd.

Craziness!

As to simpsons and futurama cx2, that's fair if you've got no access, and probably if I weren't staying with my parents intermitantly I'd consdder getting futuram on dvd myself as well, but as it is I do get lots of chances to watch it anyway.

I've even got a friend who has the entire new series not shown in the uk yet and have watched several episodes with him.

2011-06-22 12:54:10

I agree with the absurdity. I can't tell you how frustrating it was when Eureka moved from Sky One to Sci Fi, on Sky One it had audio description even to the point of having it at the beginning of each new series on first showing but Sci Fi as far as I can tell has never aired a single second of audio description.

cx2
-----