2020-09-25 17:42:25

So... I know this is far from being a  usable product, and the implications of such products are... still in a grey area at best, but this just blew my mind.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (@Minionslayer0). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Mastodon at @Minionslayer.

2020-09-25 18:11:43

I've seen this before, but I swear to god it was Takitron 2 not Tacotron 2. Tacotron? As in... hi, we sell Tacos at our Tacotron stand... Was I maybe inebriated or sensibly out of my mind on that occasion?

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2020-09-25 19:01:18

No, it's always been tacotron.  Also, this is available via an API from Google (or at least some variant of their models with the same quality), and Mozilla has an open source one, though I'd have to dig around to find it.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2020-09-25 19:38:15

@ironcross32, Well, a taco sounds pretty good right about now, so perhaps that's not such a bad I idea. I'll have one Tacotron Special, please? With extra of everything!
@camlorn, But I mean real product as in, for end-users, and dumbies.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (@Minionslayer0). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Mastodon at @Minionslayer.

2020-09-25 19:45:02

@4
Think it's maybe the voice behind Google home these days, for what that's worth. They sound very similar.  tacotron itself keeps advancing, but it is actually bein folded into our voice assistants and things if I hd to guess, based off the samples from 6-8 months ago.

Also: whenever I get far enough I intend for this to be voice acting for audiogames, essentially.

My Blog

2020-09-25 20:01:26

I'd love to employ this in things I make without having to call out to the Google TTS API. I can't seem to find MOzilla's version of this though.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2020-09-25 20:24:46

You can't run Mozilla's version of this.  These models require hardware that's at the very, very upper end of what a consumer can even get their hands on at minimum.  Usually more.  Obviously you could pour $10000+ into a massive Xeon workstation with 4 GPUs or whatever.  Or you could use the Google TTS API, which is why they sell it.

Mozilla's samples are here, more info here.  But again: more than a home computer is likely to have and you have to be pretty technical to set it up.

My Blog

2020-09-25 20:32:59

@7, true enough.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2020-09-25 23:15:20 (edited by Angel 2020-09-25 23:17:05)

Man, I wish I could use this as my tts, it sounds great, same with the Google TTS, the higher quality one on Google home.
Edit, this is really the same thing.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2020-09-25 23:47:21

@8
O sorry, mixed you up with DJEPIC and thought I was talking to a (as far as I know) non-programmer.  Realistically you could run one of these yourself with one of the cloud machine learning offerings but it'd be pricey, more so than just paying Google.

Mozilla's is also slower than realtime for the time being. Tacotron might not be, I suspect it is and Google has something proprietary that's not for Google Home.

My Blog

2020-09-26 00:06:34

I'm... a non-programmer. You're not wrong. I didn't like the sound of the Mozilla ones anyway. There's a human vs robot examples section on the link above, and I honestly had a lot of trouble telling them apart.

2020-09-26 01:34:59

the Mozilla one does really, really good inflection.  It's raspy, but I've known people who sound exactly like it, and it gets all the points for not butchering poetry.

My Blog

2020-09-26 03:47:51

@10, yeah. I don't mind the slowness factor; generated samples can just be cached and stored for future use. Its getting it to run to begin with that would be painful.

My Github

2020-09-26 05:05:12

Mozilla's inflection is okay. Still sounds slightly concatenative, like Vocalizer, but I'm used to the smoothe precision of Alex on iOS and Mac. I think it'll take a few more years for any TTS to rival his ability to inflect clauses and repeated text in paragraphs.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2020-09-26 08:29:19

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Gpc_artOYI

Ivan M. Soto.
Feel free to check out my work and services.
http://ims-productions.com

2020-09-26 21:55:33

@15, now that was funny.

My Github

2020-09-26 22:13:59

Ya, what's his thing with soft, fury fruit anyways? big_smile

2020-09-27 12:47:09 (edited by Cornettoking 2020-09-27 12:48:49)

Hi,

Having this as a screen Reader voice would be nice (there would Need to be a german Version of this Thing though), because Eloquence is … well, not that great and the german vocalizer Voices are also not very good in my opinion.
Did anybody manage to tell which voice sample was made with tacotron and which was recorded by a human? When listening to them yesterday, I couldn't tell which was which.

Greetings and happy gaming, Julian

If you say you never lie, you're a liar.
Oh, and #freeGCW