2020-09-26 13:33:23

Hi,

I own a Yamaha Tyros5 keyboard, and I want to replace the internal harddrive with an SSD, however I can't find any information online about how to do it?

Do anyone here know how to replace it?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards:
Aksel Christoffersen

2020-09-26 20:01:45

What gives you the idea this is possible?  If there's o information online, it's probably not.  Usually integrated hardware like this is soldered in place, and barring something being special about this keyboard, most of them don't even use a hard drive anyway.  There's a lot of alternatives to hard drives that are better for things like keyboards, mostly they use one of those.

Maybe someone else will have info for you and it's possible, but I'd be surprised if that's the case.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2020-09-26 20:24:41

Keyboards totally do use hard drives. Modern ones are using SSDs though, but it wouldn't surprise me to learn that the older ones had actual mechanical drives. When you account for modern sample size, plus sometimes the large amount of velocity layers, flash memory isn't enough.

That said, it very well might be soldered in place. Even if you desolder it and manage not to break anything and install an SSD, there's no guarantee it would work. You'd need to clone the HDD onto the SSD. Either that or format the SSD in the way the keyboard expects and get the samples onto it some other way. Also, there might be software on the drive that it uses - it might not all be in ROM. So there are a lot of things here you'd need to find answers to before even attempting this. I'm not saying it can't be done, but you will have to be careful and dig up everything you can about the process - if it even has been done before.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2020-09-26 23:26:40

I wasn't talking about the memory that holds all the firmware and samples. I don't know where this is stored, but the Tyros5 is from 2013, so I'm completely sure that it's not on a mechanical disk. However, the Tyros5 has a 500 GB mechanical harddrive inside for extra storage, but it doesn't need the harddrive to operate. You can connect the Tyros5 to a computer to access the harddrive's content, and formate it without cloning anything. It doesn't hold any important Things for the unit to function. However, I've now found out how to replace. I just needed removed three screws, and the harddrive slided out.