2020-09-23 21:47:41

@148, the masks I have aren't very uncomfortable, or scratchy, or anything like that. Wearing them is actually quite nice. Putting them on is a bit tricky sometimes, but once I've got one on everything's pretty well. None of my senses are impaired, whatsoever, unlike what Accman claims.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2020-09-23 21:48:25

Yeah and when people use that, it only leads to bad things. We don't need more of that crap. If so many people feel this way, then perhaps my kind are not compatible with this planet anymore. It's a shame, because the world are turning into a bunch of pussies who are too scared to live and too angry to face the fact that they're too scared and everyone's too mean to them.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2020-09-23 21:48:32

Ironcross, I think that privacy in a pandemic is a really difficult line to walk. Yes, privacy is very important, you'll get no argument from me there. But I also think setting up contact tracing is important as well. The sooner you have a framework, the better equipped you are to cope with whatever comes.

Masks very obviously won't just get shit back to normal on their own. That's not how they work, and we already know they aren't perfect. I'm not one of those people trying to sell you on the idea that masks are the be-all and end-all solution. Contact tracing is importand, and so is a vaccine or better treatment strategies. Those two things will probably mean more in the big picture. But slowing this thing down was important, since it got loose and wrecked stuff far more than it might have if it were to have been clamped down on. Just look at South Korea, as one example. They took it seriously, and their suffering was far, far less than a lot of other countries. Obviously the virus isn't going to just give up because people are wearing masks, but on the flip side of that argument, wearing masks will actually let a lot of things go on.

I've heard some people switch their tune. First they didn't want to be locked down, and wanted the freedom to do everything they used to do. So they said, "Okay, do that, with limitations. And also wear masks in certain situations, please". And some of those people stopped complaining, but a vocal few decided that this wasn't good enough. Even though they'd gotten a lifting of the hard lockdown, they wanted more, even if more wasn't safe or ideal or in any way a good idea. This is where that analogy I made comes in, the one about drowning. It's a weird one, but yeah. Just because you think you need to breathe doesn't mean the world has to accommodate you. Just because you're tired of Covid-19, and the restrictions it's putting on your freedom, doesn't mean you should take back your freedom at any cost.

Also also? Let's be real here. Analytics has been growing for decades. This whole idea of privacy...well, it's a pipe dream. The greater technology gets, the less privacy you ultimately have.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2020-09-23 21:57:54

It isn't contact tracing that is a privacy violation. It's big-tech that is a privacy violation. IF you really want to cross that bridge, then take your anger to the lawmakers (on both sides) who did not get caught up with technological developments. That's the reason we're where we're at right now. The information superhighway had been presented as such an exciting concept that people wanted to just hope that companies would use the power for good, well how did that work for ya? Not so great. Lawmakers were still old cranks that had no idea what they were screwing with. The NSA had gone too far with the elicit warantless search, and companies originally being unknowingly mandated to provide metadata saw this as a goldmine waiting to be exposed, and so then data became a market force. It's big-tech's fault for being unscrupulous, but we kind of did it to ourselves too by actually trusting that they would act in good conscience (the Cambridge Analytica scandal is nothing new for those of us who had actually been paranoid about where our data was going to begin with). Of course now there's no turning back because no one wants to have the whole array of services that we've had added to our internet bill even though that would result in some piece of mind, and there are also people dumb enough to trust the cloud rather than buying external hard drives. There are people without the patience or the inclination to set up a smart home infrastructure on their own, or at the very least a self-deployable cloud infrastructure even through a goddamn vps. And why is that? Because most of society underuses technology. For watching bad reality tv. For posting 95% picture content on social media platforms that encourages shallow thought and bottomless scrolling. Nevre once caring about the inner workings of their technology - I always have to refer back to this article for the reason that it is partially on us as a society.
So, yeah, I'm a privacy advocate but I'm not at all a fan of the people just now coming out and saying oh but my privacy! when contact tracing is proposed. You had years worth of opportunity to start using decentralized options. You had years worth of opportunity to call out these companies and give up a little bit of convenience in the process. And you squandered them. That's on us, at least those who refused to see the writing on the wall. The ones who parroted the nothing to hide, nothing to fear mantra, truly believing they had nothing to hide. The people who call us paranoid for locking down our defenses, or for carrying an extra security dongle with us rather than bending to the will of text message-based authentication. Big tech knows that most people would rather die than give up convenience. But then once it's convenient for them to pull out the privacy card, i.e. refusal to accept contact tracing, then they raise hell? Congratulations for finally caring, too bad it's too late.

2020-09-23 21:59:45 (edited by George_Gaylord 2020-09-23 22:20:02)

Seriously. So you got the opportunity to get accredited from a decent institute  but you chose to throw   it aside, because, you think that its too much to pay 2 dollars for a mask? Hah. That's less than the cheapest meal at KFC costs. And even at that price point you get masks that are comfortable, and reusable. A next thing. Right now in Philadelphia its 28 degrees. Later on it will be round  14. The huidity levels are 33%. Here, in San Fernando in the Caribbean  where i live its 33C, and humidity of 57%. So, the feels like temps here is just over a hundred  degrees F and in Philly its 82c. Now, what I'm egging at, people over here, who are notoriously complasent, people with respiratory ailments, and so on are wearing masks. S, I think if we in the caribbean can wear masks with minimal problems you in the states should be fine. Also, if you're talking about price, I've seen homeless people with masks. Some of them bought it, and some of them got it from the government in the early days. They were in the cities handing out masks to passers-by. Eitherways, iits not our place to judge you. That's god's job, but its still sad that you'd take pride over getting a job, and actually support yourself. A  dgree which you can use to get higher education, over petty pride. Well,  hope you enjoy being on government benefits. Moochng off the backs of people that still try their hardest to go out there, putting themselves at risk paying their taxes so the government can help people that actually need it.

Edit

Changed the price from what  pad here to American values.  also cleaned up spelliing a bit. Whoo knew it would be so much effort correcting the misspelling of the word higher?

Edit 2.
Finished the post. hit post whle  was writing t. Also, corrected some of the errors that were caused by my faiilng keyboard.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2020-09-23 22:05:17

@155
They're not $15.  You can get them for as low as like $1 each.  My father orders them in bulk because he runs a construction company, and I think he's doing way better than that even, and I've got a box of disposable ones that was like 50 for $30.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2020-09-23 23:19:00

I've had a chance to step away form all of this for a bit, and I will honestly say that I am willing to concede some points here. Yes, not going for a job due to being unwilling to wear a mask is dumb, and that's something that I've really been taking into consideration. However, it works the other way too. If an employer won't hire someone who has all the required skills for the job based on the fact that he/she refuses to wear a mask, then that's just as dumb as the first scenario.

JayJay, I didn't throw the opportunity away, not at all. I started this path, and I fully intend to finish. Pearson is telling me that the software they use to run these tests is blocking the screen-reader due to something having to do withe drivers used to run it. I wanted to take, and still desire to take, the safest approach in doing this which is why I am trying to take these tests from home. If I have to mask up to go and get the test taken, then that's what I'll have to do. I completely disagree with the masks, and that's no secret here, but if that's what it takes I will do it under extreme protest. Yes, some of my issue with this is pride, and I'm more than willing to own up to it. One of the major reasons I am trying to make this career change is that I am not willing to perform on stage while wearing a mask. I never have done that, and I am not about to start that now. I had hoped to make this testing thing easier on everyone involved by just doing it from here at my home, but since they can't seem to understand that the screen-reader is an essential rather than a mere accommodation, then I'll go in, mask and all, and take it if that's what is necessary. Isee that this is the reality of it now, and, while I have absolute contempt for it, I'll do what needs to be done to succeed.

Jade: I believe it was you who mentioned the issue of pride to me regarding my stance in all of this, and I wanted to thank you for calling me out on that because, to some extent, you were absolutely right and I can't deny that any longer now that I have looked back over everything.

Nocturnus, I appreciate your post that you shared a little while ago about your position as a Christian. like you, I am also a follower of Jesus Christ, thought I have to admit I haven't been showing it here as of late. So, thanks for that post.

The rest of you, thanks for your various perspectives on things. I agree with some of you, and others I don't fully agree with. It was never my intent to offend anyone here, so I am sorry if I did so as that was the farthest thing from what I wanted to accomplish. I don't know how things are going to pan out here with all of this, but I will do what I can to keep myself and others safe. Will I mask up every single time I want to go out? No, I won't. Will I do so when I absolutely have to? Yes, that I will do.

2020-09-23 23:46:37

Ok, Accman. If everyone, like you have said, didn't need to be reminded to wash their hands, or avoid coughing into the open, or breathe down each other's necks? Then maybe we wouldn't be where we are now. But you'd be surprised how many people still, even through all this, leave the bathroom without washing their hands - and given Covid is highly contagious, you can't just let thos honest total idiots run loose. Re: your point about mask requirements from an employer being dumb, I beg to differ. Pearson not caring about accessibility enough is dumb (I'm not buying any of what pearson's liaisons tell the nfb anymore after Sengage accessibility efforts have proven their commitment of actual action, whereas Pearson is all talk and absolutely no action). However, thanks to the screen-reader incompatibility, this now means that Pearson needs to send an underpaid staffer to proctor your test. I would be appreciative of the fact that they are at least trying to consider the safety of their employees and requiring people to wear masks. And let's say that some undeniable evidence were to come out and claim that masks were ineffective. Are you going to then still say that company requiring masks is dumb? Are you going to blame them for something they didn't know? That's the reality, there's too much about the pandemic that we don't know, and so as long as masks are at least somewhat effective I would say the more preferable route is to be a little too careful.
To be clear, they are entirely to blame for their inaccessibility, especially considering there are lesser known companies that have made advancements in accessibility, so Pearson has no excuse. But just like you don't take issue to people wearing the masks, show a little restraint for companies who are probably doing their best from a health and safety standpoint.

2020-09-24 00:33:46

It is stupid to not hire someone because of a piece of cloth but it is what it is.

Please support me by checking out my ko-fi shop:
https://ko-fi.com/kjsisco56927

2020-09-24 01:15:47

It is not stupid to hire someone for not wearing a mask. Masks have been established to work. You can choose not to believe it, or to deny it, but what you do or do not think is irrelevent. In this world we have something called objective reality.  That means that gravity exists regardless of the fact if you believe in it or not. You can't just say, I think gravity is a stupid conspiracy theory and isn't real, so I will jump out of my 30th floor balcony. The world doesn't work that way. By not wearing a mask, you are exposing others to unnecesary additional risk. Also, while masks are not complete solutions, they dramatically cut down transmition. What this means, is that  lockdowns and shutdowns happen much less, as transmition rates determine decisions to relax or reimpose restrictions. That mask may enable transmision to drop to 1% instead of 25%, and cause life to return closer to what it once was.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2020-09-24 01:38:25

@enes: Screw jumping off the 30th floor balcony, how unoriginal! Might as well kill two birds with one stone by jumping off the edge of the Earth on Facebook and then write the rest of this post perfectly suspended in mid-air, to demonstrate my understanding of a lack of gravity as well as the Earth's flatness...sarcasm, obviously.
Agreed completely @130.

2020-09-24 01:47:20

Yes they do work.  My point is to not hire a qualified person because they don't wear a mask is ridiculous.

Please support me by checking out my ko-fi shop:
https://ko-fi.com/kjsisco56927

2020-09-24 01:49:15

@160. Masks are effective, but they will not cut the transmission down from 25% to 1%. Nowhere near that drastic of an effect. Taiwan probably has the best pandemic response in the world right now despite noone giving us credit, and masks are only part of that solution, definitely not 25% of it... so if you're going to make exaggerated claims, please provide links. Having said that, I do agree that masks will do a small bit of good, and so will wear them. But I wear them les than recommended, that's for sure. Only in confined spaces, and even then, I'm not a fan of the idea. People expect herd immunity, but that's not going to happen if you try and stop transmition from happening completely. I'm not in favour of throwing wide the floodgates, but if people expect herd immunity to happen without risk, they're fooling themselves. And no, imo, a vaccine is not the same as herd immunity, though I might be wrong there. People are being alarmist about cases rising, but that's what happens when you start loosening restrictions. The only solution is to go back to a full shutdown, that's the only sure fire way to ensure transmition goes down and stays down.

And after saying all that, I'm going to make a disclaimer and say that I'm speaking of te top of my head, so much of what I will say will be wrong. But this is opinion, take it or leave it. And I'm very open to being educated if I'm wrong. smile

Discord: clemchowder633

2020-09-24 02:07:52

Vaccines are herd immunity plus getting there just requires everyone to get a couple shots. No more, no less.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2020-09-24 02:21:08

Jack, when I said that an employer not hiring someone because they wouldn't wear a mask, I was saying that in light of the fact that in doing this they might well have turned down one of the best employees that they could have had if that person had all of the required skills. Turning someone away when they have all the skills you require is not a bright move, virus or no virus, mask or no mask. I am also not surprised that as many people leave bathrooms without washing their hands as we see happening. Personally, i always remember to do this, and that's why I find it insulting to have to be reminded of that. However, I do get it that there are people out there who just don't seem to get this, and that was the case long before all of this stuff as you said in your post.

I get that these companies are trying to do their best from a health and safety standpoint. That's why I want to take their tests from home. I am trying to do what is  best for everyone, so it isn't my problem if they chose to beat around the bush when it comes to accessibility. i will play their game and wear the mask as I have said since I will do anything I can to make this work. I will, however, make it very clear to them, respectfully and professionally of course, that I am not pleased about it--not one bit. I didn't realize that so many folks had trouble with Pearson in terms of  accessibility. I recently spoke with a lady who is also blind who went for some teaching certifications a while back, and she had a real time of it with them as well.

2020-09-24 02:59:23

Accman, it is good to see that you're willing to concede at least a bit here.

I am still not interested in engaging you very much on a personal level - actions louder than words, and all that - but I do want to offer one piece of guidance.

You say that you'll do whatever it takes, under protest, to get your certification. This is good. I agree with Jack, too, about Pearson's inaccessibility being inexcusable. That part is totally on them, and you shouldn't be going through that.
Be that as it may, there's another side to this. On the one hand, yes, it might seem silly to turn someone with otherwise good qualifications down. But it also might be silly for the person with good qualifications to quibble about wearing a mask instead of, y'know, getting that job and kicking ass. There is responsibility on both sides. But where Pearson can always find somebody else, or some other company can just hire somebody else, there is no magical solution you can expect to make sure your family does well. You are at least partially responsible for the well-being of your family on a financial level, correct? This means that if you turn your nose up at the wearing of a mask, you're turning your nose up at a solution which, while not perfect, is better than no solution at all.
Where the guidance comes into play is very simple. Protest in your head.
You are not going to change anything by expressing outrage at having to wear a mask, not in this situation. Your needs are not greater than the company's needs, and there is absolutely no way you will get what you want that way. If you are truly willing to do what needs to be done, just do it. People who know you will know how much you hate it; let that be enough. This is going to end eventually; nobody knows when. Between now and then, just content yourself with the fact that you've registered your outrage, and now it's time to get shit done. Every breath you use to complain is a breath you are not using to better your circumstances, and the circumstances of those who are depending on you.

Also, I did not fail to miss what you said about music and playing on a stage while wearing a mask. You didn't say there were no gigs available (though maybe there aren't). You said you refuse to wear a mask on stage. Same deal, dude. I'm not going to let masks stop me from working, and you shouldn't either. It's important to realize that wearing a mask does not make you a sheep. It doesn't change your thoughts and it doesn't mean you're betraying your values. If you have to, think of it as going along to get along because your country hasn't gotten itself straight yet. Try and think of it as something onerous you can do to help that process along; yeah, it's unpleasant, but it does do at least some measurable good. It opens doors that would otherwise remain closed to you at this time, and it allows you a better chance to be self-sufficient instead of feeling like you're one check away from being screwed.
There is a huge difference between "I hate doing this" and "I won't fucking do this". Trust me, a large majority of people I know don't like wearing masks, and we complain about it sometimes. But we do it because we recognize that if we want to help our country, it might be one thing we can do which will have beneficial impact. I think the main reason you're getting so much blowback here is because you're stuck on "I won't do this", or were until very recently. I can understand how much it seems like you're being forced to do things you don't like, and I can see how that might grate, but this isn't political, it's just something we're doing to try and lower the rate of transmission, which simultaneously lets people do more things and lets the economy try to recover, step by step. So grit your teeth and bear it as best you can. It's in a good cause. For me, that's the greater good. For you, maybe it's your family or the fixing of the economy. Either way, I think you have some tough work ahead of you.

2020-09-24 03:30:43

Jade, I hear you loud and clear and totally agree with you. From the beginning of this thing with Pearson, I've made it clear that I would do whatever I could to help make things go smoothly. this is why I really want to do these tests from home as it would be the safest and healthiest way to go about this. they're not working with me, and I don't want to end up going into a literal testing center and just get more of a run-around because things aren't put together so that I can test there. I have tired to act in the best interests of everyone involved in this, and what have I gotten for it so far? Nothing, absolutely nothing accept a bunch of excuses. I will continue to do things in a way that tries to keep everyone safe, but they're going to have to work with me here or there will be problems. As it is, they're not even accredited with the BBB, so why Microsoft, CompTIA, or any other major company would go through Pearson for their testing is beyond me. However, there it is I guess. Yeah, there is certainly some tough work ahead, that's for sure, but I've always been told that there are times when if something isn't easy then it's worth doing in the end. should be interesting to see what happens.

2020-09-24 03:43:49

163, 25% was an example, but, masks have been shown to be at least 25% effective. Also again, emunity through infection isn't definately proven to occur, or even if it does, that it lasts for any reasonable amount of time.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2020-09-24 03:52:06

Performing on stage with a mask is not the same as wearing one to get a certification though. For one, you're talking about something that's making you feel its presence the entire time. You'll get itchy, sweaty, hot, and it'll feel uncomfortable the entire time. You can't expect musicians to be able to be themselves under conditions like that.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2020-09-24 04:08:13

@Accman: Lobbying. That's all it is. Pearson and McGraw Hill are playing this same game (McGraw Hill is getting surprisingly better on an accessibility front) but e-learning conglomerates are all about exploitation. AT least the big ones. Online textbooks exist not entirely out of the goodness of their heart, or out of convenience (though there is some convenience to be had). They exist to thwart the used book market. You know, so that people could buy their books at actually reasonable prices? THese behemoths were having none of that, so along came the access code, and the requirement of it for success in the course. ANd then the book prices remain just as conventional as ever, at $125 or more a piece. Microsoft/CompTIA/whatever probably get a lot of incentive for using Pearson for their certification exam platform rather than making their own damn platform, and it cuts costs. I will grant you that, outsourcing is definitely a problem that needs to be taken care of. Legitimately.

2020-09-24 04:12:21

@kjsisco with that logic we shouldn't be required to go to a job interview wearing a shirt? Or a vest. Hell. Its stupid to not heigher someone because they're not wearing any pants! So I demand we all protest and riot until they give us the respect that we, as individuals have, to waltz into a job interview naked as we born. Its liberty! Its freedom! IIts individualism!

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2020-09-24 04:26:55

Ironcross, having done the whole band thing more than once, I can tell you that yeah, it's pretty hot. Depending on how you're dressed, it's hot on stage. Hell, even people who wear casual, lighter apparel often find themselves sweating like mad. That comes more from the lights and perhaps from the nervousness of playing in front of a crowd.
My angle on this is that wearing a mask is probably no more difficult than, say, wearing a button-down shirt instead of a T-shirt for a gig because of your clientele's tastes or because of the occasion. In fact, it's probably even -less difficult than that. The only big exception to this, IMO, would be if you are primarily a singer. Other than that, a mask is just one more piece of annoying kit you bring with you on stage. No, it's not fun, but I, for instance, would have no problem drumming for an hour onstage if I had to wear a mask. Ditto playing the piano. Would it be a little hot and uncomfortable? Sure it would. But I could still do it, and if it was either do that or get nowhere, I'd do it in a heartbeat, particularly if music was my chosen career and it was very dear to my heart.

2020-09-24 09:32:08

well, I don't know if someone mentioned this in this topic, but I want to know what happens with China those days? Well, I hav heard alot about eeurop, and U.S, but surprisingly nothing about China. It just fated from the spot light, or what's happening?

---
"A good ruler gives the goblet to his servants. He never drinks from it himself. The servants need his glory. He does not cary the flame alone.
For a spark does not lit the flame, but the spirit holds it in place. Forgeting that leads one to destruction.
(Enhemodius before the Altar of the Broken)"

2020-09-24 10:12:11 (edited by moaddye 2020-09-24 10:14:24)

@165
‘Turning someone away when they have all the skills you require is not a bright move, virus or no virus, mask or no mask’
IMHO, it doesn't matter if you're going to be the best employee in there, It won't be worth the chance of infecting people around you if you're gonna work with other people in a somewhat close space
or  even getting infected yourself, if someone else was not wearing a mask.
I admit I haven't done much research about masks lowering the chance of getting covid, but IMO, i would wear one anyway, even if I believe it does nothing, if I were to go outside.
At least I tried.

You see a signature that is 800 characters and 8 lines long. You quickly report it to the administrators

2020-09-24 11:12:41

This is China.
If there is a territorial conflict between the Philippines and the United States, it is guaranteed that the United States will speak with cannons instead of just using words. After all, the dignity of the world's hegemon is inviolable.
As the world hegemon, the United States can support any country around China to fight against China, including the Philippines. After all, there are huge benefits to doing so, and the United States is behind it.
That's why your government dare to participate in the South China Sea dispute.
This has always been the case since ancient times. For the sake of interest, countries can join forces against another country. A powerful country can support a weak country, such as the classic Spring and Autumn and Warring States period, the Three Kingdoms period, and the Song Dynasty.
Not only the Philippines is interested in the South China Sea, but the United States is also interested in the South China Sea.
This has always been the case since ancient times. For the sake of interest, countries can join forces against another country. A powerful country can support a weak country, such as the classic Spring and Autumn and Warring States period, the Three Kingdoms period, and the Song Dynasty.
Not only the Philippines is interested in the South China Sea, but the United States is also interested in the South China Sea.
All interests are at stake.

thetechguy wrote:

@127. oh im sorry, my government? who was it that claimed it because of a
fucking line in a map? Seriously, who was it that rammed a fishing boat and abandoned it for them to die in sea, but was later rescued by the vietnam government? Who was it, that refuse to acknowledge the UN ruling on the matter? Who was it, that hacked into our power grid? Who was it, that got thousands of filipino jobs? Who was it, that threatens national security by installing cell towers in our military camps? yeah. YOUR GOVERNMENT! SO PLEASE, DON'T BLAME THE GOVERNMENT OF MY COUNTRY WITHOUT FACTS.
sources:
https://thediplomat.com/2019/06/chinese … reed-bank/
https://rappler.com/nation/china-reject … gue-ruling
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-50498720
https://businessmirror.com.ph/2019/02/0 … or-crumbs/
https://news.abs-cbn.com/news/09/08/20/ … -lorenzana
Some of these may include text from another language called tagalog, but they are translated into english after the paragraph.