2020-09-05 21:10:27

I haven't gotten my personal one yet because of the process my blind services agency has to go through, so I don't know. However, since it is running a fully functioning version of Android 8.1 I don't see why it couldn't

Contact Discord Telegram Threema Signal Facebook Mastodon
PSN ID, Rich_Beardsley

2020-09-05 22:02:52

what? are you serious about multytouch talkback? I can't even think how could that be achieved, due to how android accessibility is implemented, a second citizon only, not completely integrated. And what happens when you need to go to the other pages of the home screen and need two fingers? what would you do then?
and btw, touch with braille? interesting, how the hell could you read the braille without touching it and therefore activating it?
you know what would be pretty interesting, running keysoft on an actual android 8 device and see how it crashes...I now ask my self, is this possible?

2020-09-05 22:29:10

@25 yes, but I would not risk it. That's a 6000 dollar device and rooting breaks the support, no matter if you bought it. So yeah, don't do that.
27, What exactly do you mean? Touching braille doesn't activate it... What touch braille is is placing your hands on a touchscreen and typing like it's a braille keyboard.

2020-09-05 22:29:19

can i install something else on the note touch?
i mean a diverent homescreen like ms launcher?
or nova.
or samsung expirienze start?
or is this blocked?

Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them going again. I trust you are not in too much distress.

2020-09-05 23:20:01

@soren I'm sure you could.
@ty What do you mean breaks the support?

PSN ID, Rich_Beardsley

2020-09-05 23:55:53

You probably can but it might break stuff. I would be surprised if humanware didn't block it.
Rooting is, technically, illegal, same as jailbreaking. This doesn't just go for HW, but if you root it and it breaks as a result, sorry, you're SOL.

2020-09-06 02:49:57

Yeah but can't you just undo your root?

PSN ID, Rich_Beardsley

2020-09-06 03:34:14

I wouldn't root or otherwise heavily modify that system. You won't have any way to restore the stock firmware if you royally mess things up.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2020-09-06 06:04:24

@31 first of all I want to point the fact that jailbreaking or rooting is not illegal. and I would not root the touch unless you want to buy another sd card with the software.

2020-09-06 08:46:18

strange amerika. here jailbreaking is legal and Even mac os vms are legal. and also rooting is not iligal. lol.
bud seriously now is jailbreaking really iligal in the us?

Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them going again. I trust you are not in too much distress.

2020-09-06 14:00:34

Firstly, the touch doesn't run off of an SD card anymore.
Secondly, no, you could not undo the root, especially if it bricked the device, which yes, I've done.
Third, the legality of jailbreaking and rooting:
Rooting a device involves removing the restrictions placed by the cellular carrier or device OEMs. Many Android phone makers legally allow you to root your phone, e.g., Google Nexus. Other manufacturers, like Apple, don't allow jailbreaking. ... However, rooting a tablet is illegal.Oct 18, 2016
Source: https://fossbytes.com/what-is-rooting-meaning-android-legal/#:~:text=Rooting%20a%20device%20involves%20removing,%2C%20don't%20allow%20jailbreaking.&text=However%2C%20rooting%20a%20tablet%20is%20illegal.
And what's the touch? A tablet. big_smile

2020-09-06 17:01:43

hell I could root my tablet if i wanted and I don't give a shit if it is leagle or not I would still do that as I own the device

2020-09-06 17:30:50

wait, you have to pay 6 k for this? wtf?

"Hello Jerry."
"Hello Newman."

2020-09-06 18:53:28

Yes. It is a braille notetaker, afterall. No voicenote here, I fuckin wish.

2020-09-06 19:24:47

I am of the opinion here that literacy is power, but I do think in time, the pricing of braille technology will be lowered due to the price for production and sale of parts can be reduced. I am satisfied with the Touch+ I have though.

2020-09-06 21:59:13 (edited by devinprater 2020-09-06 22:01:07)

The *only* thing the old notetakers have for them is formatting. Yeah you all can fall asleep now, I get it.

So, with the old Braille Note MPower and Apex, if you opened a document in the word processor, or a book in the book reader, it actually showed it in formatted braille! Headings were at the center of the display, no stupid formatting symbols which just makes braille feelable speech from a screen reader. Italics, bold, underline, it all was shown in braille formatting depending on what braille code is being used. I mean, it was amazing!

Of course, now we have great Android with its pitiful accessibility API's, and a lazy Humanware who can't even add auto-scrolling to the braille notes now because ... well some European markets didn't like it and what? What's this "boolean" "toggle" thing you speak of? We've never heard of that! So yeah, it seems like Humanware have just gone down the tubes, or been Splintered by Odium, or something really bad because they just look extremely lazy now. Italics? No matter what braille code you use, it's always just $i. Heading? Just $h1 or something. It's turned braille into a drab, lifeless experience. And they could have freaking just storming handed it all off to Liblouis as XML or HTML, or Duxberry because Dux has to have some way of reading this crap to turn it into formatted braille! Rust and Ruin they could have! But no! Now braille is little more than, as I've said before, just a written representation of what the speech says. No life, no formatting, no spacial feeling of actual freaking text! We don't even get paragraph indentation anymore! Then again, we don't get that in Braille Extender addon for NVDA anymore for some reason, so maybe there's something going on there, but still! We had this in the MPower! 2001 era tech! And they took it away in 2019 era tech. I mean, it's crazy. You'd think braille tech would get *better*, not worse!

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2020-09-06 23:12:01

Aron Leppik wrote:

wait, you have to pay 6 k for this? wtf?

That's why we have Blind Services agencies who purchase this stuff.
And I agree. Braille displays are overpriced, and I'd even go as far as saying they make Apple products look cheap

PSN ID, Rich_Beardsley

2020-09-07 00:42:49

@Devinprater, you do bring up an interesting point. Why don’t we have proper braille formatting indicators in print documents? That should be the case, and it is definitely worth an aggressive push to get that to return. However, I still do receive italics indications when I connect it as a braille display. In BRF files, I still can tell paragraphical indentation, and centered headings, as was done before. I feel there have been some improvements in how some text is displayed in note-takers, especially where STEM is concerned and other languages are concerned. Perhaps the meaning of a braille display, and note-taker has changed over the years. Perhaps there are some ways in which there have been some improvement, and some ways where regression has occurred. At the end of the day, I still can appreciate literacy as a braille reader, and still can tell the difference between a paragraphical indentation, and a heading inentation. Embossers can still emboss raw braille formatted text if one wishes. I hope you understand where I am coming from, and I understand that I am speaking without the experiences with the old note-taker technology, as you knew it.
That's my two cents here.

2020-09-08 12:11:52

Definitely, other languages have improved, and NVDA does show italics... although that seems to be all i shows nowadays, unfortunately. And yes, I love braille formatting so much that I put EPUB files, fanfic and all that, through BrailleBlaster to turn them into braille. Of course, I then miss the table of contents, links, all that navigation, but my gosh seeing proper italics and headings and paragraphs is so worth it, so satisfying, so delightful that I don't even care.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2020-09-09 21:12:36

All this talk about flashy new hardware and the latest tech got me interested, especially since people on here were saying they were going to buy the product. So I looked it up, in the hopes of seeing that assistive tech has finally dropped in price.
BrailleNote Touch 18 Plus – Braille note taker/tablet
BrailleNote Touch 18 Plus – Braille note taker/tablet
$4,195.00

BrailleNote Touch Plus – Braille note taker/tablet
BrailleNote Touch 32 Plus – Braille note taker/tablet
$5,695.00

sad

Personally, I don't think these price tags are justified for a device that might not even see long-term support. You can get a Braille display and Android device separately for about a third of the price. Just pair them, and you have pretty much everything this shiny new device offers.

2020-09-09 21:49:07

That's why there are different blind services agencies. They will purchase these devices for you. Mine is in the process of getting me one, but because of the price, there's a big process they have to go through

PSN ID, Rich_Beardsley

2020-09-09 21:49:35

Munawar, I have an honest question for you.
Where on earth is a good braille display that wouldn't rack up the price of a flagship android plus itself up to at least 4000 dollars? I wonder now, as when I checked, braille displays are quite pricy as well sad
And in regards to the support thing, no device can be supported forever. Humanware supports their devices for a long time, I mean hell, look at the victor reader second generation vs the victor reader treck. And when I updated from an apex to a touch, and a touch plus after that, humanware has offered upgrade programs to make updating cheaper, and there are funding centers that can help you pay for that. Assistive technology is certainly pricy, I have to agree with that point. I mean just look at JAWS. But the companies aren't just upgrading and going, too bad, pay 6000 again either.

2020-09-09 22:14:26

Agree with @Ty. Even iPhones eventually become unsupported. Although they get updates for a while, Apple eventually stops pushing them out

PSN ID, Rich_Beardsley

2020-09-09 22:17:31 (edited by cw 2020-09-09 22:22:06)

For those who say the braillenote touch plus is priced to high, I think that you are partly right. Let me explain. You can get an android for under $1000, and a the 14 cell display from humanware is around $1000. Asuming that android supports braille, you can get an android device with braille for under $2000. I do not know how well android supports braille. Now as I am looking at pricing, I see that you can get a 40 cell display for around $3000. Add that to your under $1000 android device, and you will find that the total price is $4000 or under. Based on that info, what you have to deside is rather or not the ruffly extra $2000 for the braillenote plus is worth it. What you have to take in to account is the support that you may be getting from a place who is known for selling blindness related products, along with the fact that the braillenote touch is design (as far as I know) as a all in one device (as in a tablit with atatched braille display). Not to sure how much that is worth it to you. I have not included the orbit displays which would also affect pricing if you go with the build your own rout. Of course, there is the IPhone rout which I will not go into right now. Now, if I had to choose between the braillenote touch plus or braillesense, I would choose the braillenote touch plus over the braillesense because the OS is more up to date which means a better device because of some of the weakness in the older OSs. Of course, that is kind of the problem when you put a main stream os on a blindness product (as in the device is almost always out of date for longer). Now a all in one device with blindness design software can be useful at times. Of course, the braillesense u2 is running custem software on top of windows CE. As far as I know, you really can not run any apps on the braillesense u2 where you can on the braillenote touch plus. Matter of fact, I thought I saw something about humanware adding google signin to keymail which is something you will not see on the braillesense u2.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2020-09-09 22:19:36

@47: great question. I got curious at one point too because I thought "hey, there must be cheaper options out there." My agency had just dropped me because I'd graduated from university so I needed to start footing the bill for any type of AT I needed. That's when I came to know of 14 cell Braille displays like SmartBeetle that are just over $1,200. And you can get an iPhone that's a generation or two behind that will cost you much less than the high price Apple puts on their products--or you can go the Android route and get a device much cheaper.

Alternatively, you can go for the $500 Braille displays like the one made by APH, though when I got my SmartBeetle, APH's display didn't exist yet.

Ultimately, I feel that getting a Braille display with a mainstream product is the much better route to take nowadays since technology is moving so fast. For example, when the BrailleSense U2 came out, the company was bragging about the processor speed and the capabilities of the device... when the mainstream market had left Windows CE behind at least five years before the U2 was developed.